PDA

View Full Version : 3G Pay As You Go USB Sticks

GarethP
21-04-2010, 15:27
Hi,

All this recent kerfuffle got me thinking about how much we take the internet for granted.

We go (hopefully!) Next Friday and my wife wants to take her laptop with her for various reasons (she runs her own business and may want/need to check emails occasionally) and where we are staying doesn't have internet access.

My wife uses a Vodaphone 3G PAYG USB Stick for her laptop in the UK for those times when we can't get Wireless access free/cheaply.

Are such things available in the US? Where might I get one from if needed? Whats 3G coverage like?

Thanks

Gareth

Sniff
21-04-2010, 17:12
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by GarethP
Hi,

All this recent kerfuffle got me thinking about how much we take the internet for granted.

We go (hopefully!) Next Friday and my wife wants to take her laptop with her for various reasons (she runs her own business and may want/need to check emails occasionally) and where we are staying doesn't have internet access.

My wife uses a Vodaphone 3G PAYG USB Stick for her laptop in the UK for those times when we can't get Wireless access free/cheaply.

Are such things available in the US? Where might I get one from if needed? Whats 3G coverage like?

Thanks

Gareth
[/quote]
These kinds of devices are certainly available...for example:

http://support.t-mobile.com/main.html?selectedDeviceId=6408&manufacturer=T-Mobile&navtypeid=6&prevPageIndex=1

I'm not sure if they are available on PAYG though.

nicklangdon
21-04-2010, 17:15
Im sure you can buy usb dongles but a cheaper alternative is to take your laptop down to any mcdonalds and sit in the car park as everyone has free wifi access, and if your hungry you can always get something to eat[clap].

hope this helps

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-04-2010, 17:18
We bought a cheap AT&T Go phone which is basically a cheap phone with a PAYG sim card. You can buy credits and assign them to voice, data etc etc. 100Mb of data costs $19.99 which is not bad.

We stuck the sim card in our MiFi and can now get 3G access to up to 5 devices at a time wherever we are in the USA. The coverage is great all around the Orlando and Kissimmee areas. We've had 3G wherever we have gone and it's pretty fast.

GarethP
21-04-2010, 17:24
Many thanks everyone

I'd forgotten about McDs Free WiFi too! I'm sure my wife will be happy about that!

steph_goodrum
21-04-2010, 19:06
Starbucks also do free wifi and if you dont want to take the laptop then the libraries offer free computer use.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-04-2010, 19:11
Apple Stores are always good for free wifi too [msnsmile].

ellie
21-04-2010, 22:51
So do Panera Bread and Atlanta Bread Company - they do some great soups and sandwiches, too!

chrisflowers
22-04-2010, 00:34
My vote would be for a MiFi device, with PAYG SIM cards
Can be used in both the USA and UK

GarethP
22-04-2010, 13:36
I saw those whilst surfing the Walmart site trying to do some research - what are they exactly? An ADSL modem type thing but 3G instead of plugged in, with a wireless router attached?

florida4sun
22-04-2010, 13:46
Its a portable wifi station that you put your sim card into for 3 access.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by GarethP
I saw those whilst surfing the Walmart site trying to do some research - what are they exactly? An ADSL modem type thing but 3G instead of plugged in, with a wireless router attached?
[/quote]

chrisflowers
22-04-2010, 20:54
Here is a link to one with subscription -
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_mifi

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-04-2010, 21:14
Here's a link to the one we have: http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=183117

You just pop in a sim card which has data activated on it (like the AT&T Go I mentioned above) and you are good to go as it sorts out all the settings itself. It then provides a wireless signal for up to 5 devices to connect to. It's very small and can fit in your pocket or go in the car with no problems so you can have full internet access wherever you go [msnsmile].

dsv77
24-04-2010, 19:04
Dennys have wi fi access too, doesnt the community you are staying in have a club house? as most have an internet cafe