PDA

View Full Version : Beaches north of Tampa?

Rolmill
10-04-2010, 07:07
Most threads seem to focus on the stretch from Clearwater down to Fort Myers. But are there good beaches slightly further north - e.g. my map includes Hernando Beach (just north of Aripeka). Is this worth considering for a day trip? Are there others in the area?

Or is the travel time too great? We're staying just off the the 192 West (between the 4 and the 27), so it looks like the 27 and then the 50 take us almost straight there - I would guess 75-80 minutes, but don't know the roads so could be way out!

Advice appreciated re suitable day trip to a gulf coast beach (preferably quiet, but with some toilet and eating facilities), bearing in mind presence of a 5 year-old puts a premium on shortest practical journey time [msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
10-04-2010, 11:53
We had a couple of trips this time to Honeymoon Island State park instead of St. Petes or Indian Rocks where we usually go. I am going to a wedding today so wont have time to put the pics on here till later but that is certainly worth a day trip. The beach was relatively quiet but there are 2 cafe areas with facilities iincluding showers and changing rooms. As you go in the beach is to the left and to the right is the park area where we saw raccoons, armadillos and various other wildlife on the walk through toe woods. Also on the nature trailside there is a huge play area for children and a couple of covered picnic areas with bbq grills so you can grill for yourself if you wish.
We are on 27 and it took us just over an hour to get to it both times as traffic was reasonable.

We also went to Melboourne beach which is directly along 192 or you can go towards Kennedy and follow the roads from there. You drive through Melbourne and then over the causeway to get to the beach. I achieved what I have been trying to do for a few years whilst in America. I found my first ever complete Sand Dollar! I keep wondering along looking for them and have only found sections before.

ellie
10-04-2010, 18:54
Sounds like a good beach to go to, Steph. Must give it a try next time.

shockey
10-04-2010, 22:23
I'd second Honeymoon Island. It's a nice beach, and there's plenty of wildlife. There are lots of ospreys there - we have often seen them flying back to their nests with fish for the chicks.

If you really want to get away from it all, try Caladesi Island, just south of Honeymoon Island. You have to take a boat to get to Caladesi (they go every hour from Honeymoon Island), but the beach is superb.

Rolmill
11-04-2010, 05:29
Steph, thanks for the info. We eventually opted for Melbourne Beach: took longer to get there than I had expected (192 pretty slow all the way through St Cloud), but the beach was pleasant and uncrowded, parking was free and (most important) I was able to park myself in a friendly cafe (Sand on the Beach) while rest of family turned themselves lobster-red :D. So definitely a success - though no Sand Dollars!

Thanks again.

zanderbuchan
11-04-2010, 16:37
Roland,

a bit late this time but for future info..................

Hernando Beach is not really a beach per se, but a long stretch of homes with a few docks and tributaries. There is one area that is a public 'park' that has some sand and facilities, but not really a beach.

However, immediately to the north of Hernando Beach is Bayport and Pine Island Beach, which has parking and all the facilities you'd expect at a beach.

You're right in your directions, north on 27 to Clermont and then west on 50. Takes you through the Withlacootchee state park for a long stretch, a bypass around Brooksville, then into Weeki Waatche. Incidentally, there is a water park here, 'Bucaneer Bay', home of the Weeki Waatchee mermaid [msnsmile]. Roads are okay and should take no more than 90 minutes from where you said.

Rolmill
11-04-2010, 17:14
Zander - thanks for that, should come in useful for our next visit[msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
11-04-2010, 20:43
Roland
When we went to Melbourne beach the other week, we went one way along the 192 and came back via the Beachline as the 192 is a bit monotonous.

I'm sure your 5 year old would enjoy the play area at Honeymoon Island.

Rolmill
12-04-2010, 02:38
Steph - that's exactly what we did! Journey time was pretty much the same, but as you say, the Beachline route back was less tedious. Thanks a lot for your help.

steph_goodrum
12-04-2010, 15:26
This is the play area , just testing resizing and will add more later if it works.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/steph_goodrum/2010412112616_hiplayarea.jpg