PDA

View Full Version : BA Ruined our holiday

Gouldie
07-01-2004, 22:53
We had a great time in Orlando sorting out a few things with our house, combining business with pleasure. Spent New Year in MGM with Fantasmic and dancing and more Fireworks. Even my 4 year old managed to stay awake to see in the New Year with us for the first time.

Due to go home on the 5th Did'nt want to, but did not expect to stay for the following reason.

We were due to come home on the 6:30 (Oralndo time) flight on Monday 5th Jan. We had already confirmed seat numbers for myself, my husband and my 4 year son. When we arrived to check in we were told that that the flight had been overbooked and our seats had been sold. BA suggested we try and get on the Virgin 8:40 flight standby. Virgin advsied that they could not let us know if we could get on the flight until 7:40. At 7:40 we duely went to the Virgin check and advised we would not be able to get on this flight. So we went back to the BA desk and found that the BA staff had gone home and left us stranded at the airport with no hotel and no idea of how we were going to get home.

Virgin were very helpful and arranged for a hotel. The following day 6th Jan we arrived back at the Airport to speak to BA who advised us that we were not intitled to any compesation and would put us on the next flight as an act of good faith, but they did not have to do this as we arrived late for check in. We actually arrived at 5:00 an hour and half before deperture and an hour and 10 mins before check in closed.

We have be through a lot in the last 48 hours but have found out that BA can off load any passingers if the flight is overbooked and you are not guranteed a seat and checkin is based on a first come first serve basis.

Just one orther point the BA check in board states that check in starts at 2:30 although they start check in at 1pm. So if the flight has 334 seats and 334 people arrive prior to 2:30 and you arrive to check in at the stated time,arrived 4 hours before deperture and still not get on the plane. Does this mean we need to start queing evan earlier and spend our last day of the holiday in the airport.

Just for referance Virgin do not off load anybody until checkin is closed 1 hour prior to take off and then they ask for volenters to offload. If no body volenters that the airline will make the decsion and compensation will be offered.

We have not had any sleep for over 48 hours and arrived back in the UK at 7:30 UK time this morning, we had to get a taxi costing £80 as I had to be in London for a meeting at 12pm today. I had to drive and nealry killed myself through lack of sleep. How can Airlines be so irrisponsible and get monies twice for the same seats. Does this mean we can sell things twice get double the amount be only deliver to one person, I don't think so.

BA the worlds favourite airline I don't think so. We will not be advising any of our customers to use BA
[?][V][msnsad]

Carla
07-01-2004, 23:54
You must have been very unlucky, and come up against some "jobs worths". It must also have been one of the busiest weekends/days of the year to travel. Everyone coming home from Florida to the UK at the same time.

We've never had anything but good service from BA, on or off the flights. Our flight from Tampa to Gatwick was overbooked a while back and we volunteered to be off-loaded. They offered all the usual perks. In the end, unfortunately, it didn't happen.

Beverley
08-01-2004, 00:13
I'm sorry you've had a rotten couple of days. You just don't need any added hassle, travelling with small children is stressful enough.
I'm amazed that BA would treat passengers this way.
We have never flown with BA but ironically have just today been pricing flights with them.:(

Maybe we should stick with Virgin

huckleberry house
08-01-2004, 01:58
I have never had any problems with Ba,always leave on time,always polite and helpful and usually cheaper than Virgin.

I thought that you have to be at checkout at least two hours before a flight though,not 1 1/2 hours [?] could this be why they thought you werent going to be on the flight ?

Lesley

Andy & Arlene
08-01-2004, 02:21
We also have had good experiences with BA. However, I'm sure (all the times we've travelled with them) we had to check in at least 2 hours before. After Sept 11th, this changed to a 3 hour check in.

bellaepovera
08-01-2004, 02:27
I have taken BA for 10 years from Italy and never had any problems and they also asked us if we wanted to go on the next day flight and offered each of us $400 to top it off. This was in August. If I were you I would write a letter to their company. A nasty one at that.

fiona
08-01-2004, 02:45
We travel by BA if possible and have never had an experience like this. We do however, since Sep 11, now make a point of arriving 3 hours prior to departure to allow time for check-in, security checks and a quick tour of the duty free shops (teenage daughters -where else to buy make-up??).

When checking in at JFK at 8.30 for the 11.00pm departure on 31 Dec (after arriving at 7.40) we were advised we could not sit together. We, as suggested by the check-in guy, went to customer services after passport control, security checks etc. and asked if any chance we could be re-located together. While asking, Chris said we would of course be happy to be upgraded as the plane appeared to be full. He was told this was unlikely, buthwe was called back about 45 mins later - we had been upgraded to world traveller plus and seated near in same row, 2 of us in each of the window and aisle seats.

I do think you should write a rather strong letter to BA as I really cannot believe this is standard policy.

timfawson
09-01-2004, 20:15
We have just arrived back from Florida on the 8th When we went to check in at the BA desk at Gatwick on the 26th (2 hours before departure) we were told by the person on the check in desk that 3 of us were on stand by. The husband kindly asked if he could see the person in charge as if we had tickets purchased in September and all 6 of us were there in plenty of time how could we be on stand by ? Out came the person in charge and then four of the six were upgraded, it didnt take to long to sort out who would have these seats Grandparents and Grandchildren which left Tim and I on our own. Bliss no children to worry about all the way to Tampa.

Funshine
09-01-2004, 21:03
Tim & Jackie - Grandparents and the kids may have been upgraded but you benefitted in the end !! Well Done [msnsmile2]

orlandobabe
10-01-2004, 02:17
What an awful experience Gouldie.

I don't know what they are playing at?

My mum at 6pm yesterday booked some flights to Vegas with British Midland-by 3pm today one of the party realised that they would be unable to travel. Not only will they not get a full refund-BM will also not let another person who wants to travel take that seat-they have to buy another one!

So unfair! It's 3 months to the trip as well!

athurstance
14-01-2004, 14:35
Its not just a problem with BA - all airlines overbook. When we flew back from Orlando last April we were quite early for checking - 11.30 in the morning for a 8.20 flight. We got the last 4 seats on the plane - the family after us were bounced off. We were asked if we were interested in going the next day but we need to get home but the family behind us had absolutely no choice at all.
They weren't very happy about it (naturally) but they were told there were simply no seats left as everyone else had already checked in. And there's nothing you can do about it either - the small print on your ticket allows them to do it.
On the other hand I've got friends (a family of 5) who always ask if they need anyone to bounce off as they are happy to volunteer - they have done very well out of it too. You tend to get more compensation if you are cooperative and negotiate apparently.

Carla
14-01-2004, 15:02
Angela, every time we fly we always offer to be "bumped". Nearly happened once with United, and they gave us US$200 just for offering, as we were then the very last ones to board the plane!!

I obviously don't pick the busiest times to go, but I'm working on it!! Next trip is in and out of Tampa on 28 Feb with BA, and since it's a Saturday night (both directions) I am hopeful that we might actually get bumped this time!!! We will offer and see what happens.

SG
14-01-2004, 15:41
Carla

At what stage do you offer to be bumped, is at check in or boarding gate?

Thanks

Shirley

steph_goodrum
14-01-2004, 15:59
We always ask as well, we ask when we checkin because obvioulsy once you have checked your luggage etc it's more hassle to get your luggage etc. On our first flight with Virgin, when we got to Orlando we were asked if we'd get the flight to Miami and get the flight from there to Gatwick, which meant that instead of having 3 hrs at Orlando we got straight onto the Miami flight and arrived home in Gatwick an hour before our original flight would have done. They gave us a voucher for a free flight or if we had been memebers of their Freeway club (which we are now but weren't then) we could have had 40,000 miles.
We're hoping that is still the case and that we can get bumped a couple of more times and get the miles and then when Virgin start flying to Sydney later in teh year maybe get a free trip.
Don't know if it makes a difference as well but 3 out of 4 times on our last trips to Orlando we have been upgraded either on the way out or home.

Carla
14-01-2004, 17:02
Always at check in Shirley, and we make it known that even up to the last minute we are quite prepared to be off-loaded. We have often been first on the "bump" list, only to find that there is no need to bump anyone in the end!!!!

It would be wonderful to be bumped for 28 Feb because we have guests in our home that night and can't have our villa until 4pm on 29th so will have to find a hotel anyway!!!!

Here's hoping. :D:D:D

SG
14-01-2004, 17:18
Carla

Will keep my fingers and toes crossed that you get bumped on the 28th February:D

Shirley

Carla
14-01-2004, 17:49
Thanks Shirley - on my past experiences, I need all the help that I can get.

:D:D:D

Andy & Arlene
15-01-2004, 02:41
Carla, if you do get bumped off a flight, as well as the free flights, vouchers etc, do they also give you a local hotel and meal vouchers for the night. As by that point you would have returned the hire car etc.

Carla
15-01-2004, 02:57
Yes they do Arlene.