PDA

View Full Version : christmas

dodge intrepid
30-04-2002, 17:36
We are planning our next visit christmas 2003 and can't wait but are worried about how busy it will be. Last time we came at Easter and that was busy is Christmas worse?

roger
30-04-2002, 17:38
I've not been at Christmas but have heard that it is not quite as busy as Easter - I'm sure other forums members will correct me if I'm wrong! We are going for 4 weeks, over Christmas and new year this year, so I'll soon find out.

Roger

Lakul
30-04-2002, 17:43
We went to Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day and I wouldn't do it again. It was absolutly packed and not a pleasure to walk round. We found out afterwards that they had closed the gates several times because there were too many people trying to get in.

If you do decide to go, then get there early. We got there at 7.30am!!

Kerry

ian
30-04-2002, 19:22
We were over last Christmas, but went to The Renaissance on Christmas Day. Give the parks a miss that day - have a wonderful lunch - then head for Disney Boardwalk and watch Epcot's Fireworks from there.
Ian

fiona
30-04-2002, 19:40
We've been over for Christmas twice - 1999/2000 and 2001/02. Weather can be cool, so take some warm clothes but we did have warm weather - up in the 80's as well. Noticeably busy the Christmas eve/day time and new year but otherwise not too bad. Haven't been at Easter so can't compare.

We steered clear of Disney for Christmas day and went to Universal instead. Also tried cooking x-mas lunch first time and it didn't work - couldn't get hte gravy right, so next time we shall do as Ian suggests and go to somewhere like the Renaissance.

New Year's bash we went for the millenium to universal which was fantastic - they had fireworks between the 2 parks and citywalk, and a party until 3.00am. Great atmosphere. We happened to be in the Irish bar at 7.00pm when it was midnight at home - so all the Brits got together and sung auld lang syne - the americans thought we were mad! Last year we went to MGM, again great party, 2 live acts on at separate parts and wonderful fireworks. Only advice is to book a restaurant before you go otherwise you just have to eat at one of the fast-food places.

We go out for christmas every other year and will also be out x-mas 2003.

Fiona

jewell
30-04-2002, 21:21
We went over the Christmas period, and on Christmas day we did SeaWorld. Brilliant, there were no real queues for anything! Then went on to TGI Friday's, again not many people around, so we had brilliant service.

Steve and Sandra

orlandobabe
30-04-2002, 22:49
I can second the renaissance too. It was a cold day-poured down the whole day-so a lovely lunch followed by Lord of The Rings at the cinema and a good day was had by all.

Orlandobabe

paula
01-05-2002, 00:34
We went Christmas last year, we had christmas dinner in the magic kingdom that was good, but we came straight out after (we have a yearly pass) you could not move for people, it does get cool. Go to Celebration, we went Christmas eve they have snow (twice a night)so its not the real thing but its the next best.regards paula If you want to book dinner at disney book early .(months)

Ruth
01-05-2002, 03:09
We went at Christmas for the first time in 2001. We really enjoyed it and went to Epcot on Christmas Day which was not too busy. The weather suited us fine as we don't like it too hot.

Ruth

chris
01-05-2002, 20:20
We went for New year and the week after. Epcot new years eve was great because each country celebrated at their own new year time.
Went to universal one day that week and queued 1 and a half hours for men in black. Went back the following week and walked straight on 4 times in a row!
Magic Kingdom and Epcot shut the gates because they were full by about midday most days between Christmas and New Year in 2001.

dodge intrepid
02-05-2002, 11:45
Many thanks for all the replies it's been really useful. After one visit the Florida bug has well and truly bitten. I only wish I knew about this site before I booked the villa. Any other tips about Christmas? We have three girls who will be under 12 when we next travel.

Thanks again Teresa

fiona
02-05-2002, 11:54
Do take them to Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party. Mine are now 16 and 13 and still enjoy it as much as they did at 14 and 11!

And do go the whole hog and decorate your house the american way - we did and it's not expensive compared with home.

Celebration has "snow" each night just before christmas along with father christmas and enjoy it for how good the whole town looks rather than whether or not the snow is real!

Fiona

blott
02-05-2002, 19:07
And don't forget Disney MGM and the Osborne Family Lights which start around the end of November until the end of the first week in January. They'll love them!

Blott

debbie
07-05-2002, 22:09
[quote]
And do go the whole hog and decorate your house the american way - we did and it's not expensive compared with home.

I love Christmas, but have never been at this time of year. In what ways do the Americans decorate their houses that differ to us?

fiona
08-05-2002, 00:55
Lights absolutely everywhere - at $5 a bunch it's not too expensive to do.

We leave our lights out for our guests to decorate the villa if they wish - no-one has so far, but we always go mad - my daughters insist. After being brought up on Sleepless in Seattle etc. they expect us to go the whole hog! 2 trees - 1 inside, 1 out, FC outside, decorated trees, icicles the FULL WORKS (I was going to say monty but that doesn't seem appropriate as we're talking about over-dressing your houses rather than the other way round!!)

Have to say the Americans on our estate still do more than us.

Fiona

blott
08-05-2002, 02:39
The American idea of home Christmas decorations seems to be to more is better than less! We have seen homes which are unrecognisable under all the lights, reindeer, FCs, etc and nearly everyone decorates around their roof, plants, trees (in fact, everything you can think of and then some more!). One home is our road even dresses up their front door in wrapping paper with ribbon ties so that it looks like a Christmas parcel (and looks very effective too) and lots of homes have Christmas wreaths on the doors or huge red bows.

Blott

debbie
08-05-2002, 14:47
It all sounds fantastic! I will have to go at Christmas as well now!

Debbie

orlandobabe
20-10-2002, 02:33
If you do go at Xmas be sure to go to Celebration to see the decorated houses there-as it definitly is an art form. They really go over the top. Some of those houses are monsters-3 storeys and every straight line had a row of lights on it. Plus singing and rocking lifesize santas in the porch.

We went to the Christmas Eve service in the church there and it was unforgettable. A very nice way to start Xmas. We were made to be so welcome and the solo singing was marvelous.