PDA

View Full Version : Damaging my visa chances !

Hayabusa
06-01-2004, 15:39
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle with me ! Firstly thanks to Roger for help getting me started in the forum.

After 10 years of spending all of our holiday time in Florida, my wife and I have decided that now is the right time to make the big move and emigrate to Florida. I have read so many posts regarding scam business's for sale that I want to take my time and make sure I get the right business for an E2 visa. As they say ' location, location, location' is so important that I want to spend some time over there finding the right company with the help of my Floridian friends.

Question (1) Should I apply for a visa that allows me to look for a business to invest in whilst I am over there, as I'm sure that the visa waiver does not allow this.

Question (2) And most importantly, will this jeapordise my chances of an E2 if it is seen that I have been in Florida for the 90 days allowed attempting to find a business ??

Question(3) If I dont find the company that I want within the 90 days can the visa be extended ?

I look forward to your replies. Thanks, Nick.

/forums/Data/200416112255_Busaimage.jpg

blott
06-01-2004, 18:06
Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum.

What I think you're talking about is a B1 visa which allows you to look around for a business, negotiate contracts, etc so check this out here http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/b1apply.htm You need to apply for this via the US Embassy and you are not allowed to undertake gainful employment with this visa. As far as I am aware, you would then need to return to the UK and apply for your E2 visa when you have found your business.

florida4sun
06-01-2004, 18:08
You can look for a business on an a visa waiver, no problem at all. Infact you can conduct business or oversea a business you own. As long as you are not drawing an income it is fine. There is abox on the visa asking if your trip is for business or pleasure.
As for scam businesses I have not come accross this, what you will have trouble finding is a business that shows a suitable 'benefit to owner'. Most of the businesses that brits buy are not location important. Unless of course you are going into retail (which personally I would not bother with).
You cannot extand a visa waiver as it is not a visa (you waive the rights of a visa). You would need a b visa to do this. However they ar not very forthcoming at giving these out so you could end up with a visa refusal.

quote:Originally posted by Hayabusa

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle with me ! Firstly thanks to Roger for help getting me started in the forum.

After 10 years of spending all of our holiday time in Florida, my wife and I have decided that now is the right time to make the big move and emigrate to Florida. I have read so many posts regarding scam business's for sale that I want to take my time and make sure I get the right business for an E2 visa. As they say " location, location, location" is so important that I want to spend some time over there finding the right company with the help of my Floridian friends.

Question (1) Should I apply for a visa that allows me to look for a business to invest in whilst I am over there, as I'm sure that the visa waiver does not allow this.

Question (2) And most importantly, will this jeapordise my chances of an E2 if it is seen that I have been in Florida for the 90 days allowed attempting to find a business ??

Question(3) If I dont find the company that I want within the 90 days can the visa be extended ?

I look forward to your replies. Thanks, Nick.

/forums/Data/200416112255_Busaimage.jpg

esprit
06-01-2004, 18:38
Scam businesses, not exactly though I did hear of a couple whose furniture pack business was essentially just a catalogue,. But ones that dont pan out contract and income wise or where employees grab the business within weeks of closing, yes plenty of those about. Most businesses in Orlando seem to sell for piles more than they are actuallu worth income wise and are bad value. It is a supply and demand thing. I think the demand for businesses since you bought, Martin. may have changed the situation somewhat. It has git mad in the last three years since we first looked for one. Having said that, I do know of people who have bought good businesses, just you need to be careful and look around.
You can look for a business on visa waiver but would need to return to the UK to apply for E2. You can set up a business on B1 ( not on visa waiver) but would need to return to the UK to apply for E2. That would mean getting a manager in and overseeing it from the UK. Staying here and trading whilst an E2 application is going through could cause problems.

Hayabusa
07-01-2004, 21:56
Thanks for your replies everyone. Its reasuring to know that they are consistant in their information. I am actually going to set up a busines in either Pinellas or Sarasota Counties. I realise that the forum is Orlando based but does anyone have any knowledge of a web site or forum with business's for sale in the Tampa Bay area ?

esprit
08-01-2004, 08:02
Yes, go to www.fbba.com ( the website of the Florida business brokers association. Or try www.bizmarketflorida.com. Bith have businesses all over the state not just Orlando. Be careful as they can be out of date and businesses on there still can be under offer or even sold when you look. I think you have miade the right decision going somewhere other than Orlando as there is less competition elsewhere and businesses tend to sell for less because the demand is less.