PDA

View Full Version : School holidays Rip off - Please help

BOBBYVILLA
05-01-2004, 23:13
Have been looking all over the web for fly drives on 21-aug-2004. Due to the date, the price appears to soar to 520 each! Is this a reasonable price in August as most others charge 700 plus?

Does anyone know better?

:(

florida
05-01-2004, 23:28
The 23rd August is when the prices start to drop slighty, if you can wait a couple of extra days. Flights with Virgin on 22/08/03 £654.00, on 23/08/03 £514, these prices are inclusive of tax. I save myself £560.00, by flying on this date and it still allows you to get 2wks in the school holidays, although we go for 3wks,the money saved on the flights pays for the villa for the extra week.

Debs
06-01-2004, 00:15
Do really try to shop around as we have managed to obtain flights on US Airways for £379 each departing 10 August - this was somewhat cheaper than Virgin/BA Flights at around £650+ You just have to keep checking on a regular basis. It is possible to pick up a bargain

janny
06-01-2004, 12:17
Try http://www.cheapestflights.co.uk/ at the moment they have flights for 21 nights 2 adult 2 children for £2160 its to Sanford but they do scheduled fights as well.

Bernie Good morning from dull and dismal Andover

kevinprewett
11-01-2004, 13:29
quote:Originally posted by BOBBYVILLA

Have been looking all over the web for fly drives on 21-aug-2004. Due to the date, the price appears to soar to 520 each! Is this a reasonable price in August as most others charge 700 plus?

Does anyone know better?

:(

Hi,
does it have to be a fly-drive package? In my exoerience you are always better off by buying flights & car hire separately.With a fly drive all your party "pay" for the car separate you only pay once for the hire.

Kevin

steph_goodrum
11-01-2004, 13:46
Kevin
It is becoming increasingly difficult to buy them both separately as many flight agents insist they are only allowed to sell cheaper flights as part of a package with car hire or accommodation.

kevinprewett
11-01-2004, 14:38
quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

Kevin
It is becoming increasingly difficult to buy them both separately as many flight agents insist they are only allowed to sell cheaper flights as part of a package with car hire or accommodation.

Hi Steph,
I agree with Debs, you just have to look around and be a little flexible. Maybe look at an airport you wouldn,t normally use or not always go direct to MCO but maybe 1 stop. Who are these flight 'agents' who demand you book car & accommodation with them or no flight.I used to be one of the old-fashioned airline 'consoldators' selling flight worldwide for numerous airlines, I am sure some of these airlines wouldn't be too pleased knowing these agents were putting these restrictions on selling seats on their aircraft! Virgin i can understand it is their own company after all.

regards

kevin[msnwink]

regards

Kevin

steph_goodrum
11-01-2004, 14:47
Kevin
I personally can't understand how the agents can say that Virgin have demanded they be sold as part of a package since the car hire is not with Virgin but another company and I'd have thought all they were interested in was selling the flight seat.
At the moment we can't afford to be flexible with a daughter in her last year of A levels we are stuck to school hols and prefer to travel direct, it doesn't always come down to saving a few pounds , it's the overall in terms of travel times etc that we consider.

lisag
12-01-2004, 00:45
I've noticed an amazing hike on flights this year, I've been looking at flights for September which is in term time and they're coming out at £503 inc tax but indirect :( I certainly wasn't expecting those prices, I wouldn't mind but Virgin are charging £600 for mid september per adult [:0][:0]

Any ideas on where I should look or should I be waiting until last minute?

Lisa

huckleberry house
12-01-2004, 01:03
Lisa

I havent looked today but a few days ago on BA flights were coming out at £399 incl tax for LGW to MCO for September and amazingly £270 approx for june if thats any good.

Lesley