PDA

View Full Version : Easter holidays - advice requested!

Rolmill
11-01-2010, 02:57
Hi, I'm a new member who is taking the family (2 adults, 3 kids aged 14, 12 and 5) for our first ever Orlando holiday next Easter. We're flying out on 3rd April (Easter Saturday) and spending two weeks in Kissimmee. I have a few pretty basic questions:

1. How busy should we expect the various parks to be at that time (the two weeks after Easter) - e.g. does it coincide exactly with US school holidays?

2. If (as I suspect) it is likely to be pretty busy, is it generally better to hit the parks early in the day - or does it not make much difference (or does the recommended strategy vary from park to park)?

3. None of the three kids is very adventurous, so we won't be looking for the mega-exhilarating roller-coasters. I am vaguely intending to spend 2 or 3 days in the Magic Kingdom, and also a day each at Sea World, EPCOT Centre, the Animal Kingdom, Cypress Gardens, and Universal Studios (or Hollywood Studios - are they very different?). With 1 or 2 days at one of the water parks also, this would leave us 3 or 4 days downtime for R&R. It's only a general plan at the moment, but does this look like a practical schedule?

Apologies for length of first post and for seeming (well OK, being) naive - but all suggestions and advice will be gratefully received!

SDJ
11-01-2010, 03:08
Hi Rowland and welcome to this great forum where you can ask questions to your hearts content and also do searches as your question may well have been asked before.

You certainly seem to have an action packed plan for your holiday. I think I am correct in saying that you won't be going to Cypress Gardens as it has closed down - unless of course someone buys it and it may be open by then. Universal and Hollywood Studios we find very different but there are more things at Universal if you had to choose.

The parks will be busy, so you could hit the parks early and if you are staying not too far away, you could have a few hours back at your villa/hotel relaxing in the pool, and then return to the park later to watch the parades, fireworks etc. It is advisable to have a day off between each park or you will end up being worn out and in need of a holiday.

You can get excellent value tickets from this site so take a look.

Enjoy your first time visit - I guarantee - you will be back.

Sandra

steph_goodrum
11-01-2010, 03:17
I think you'll find Cypress Gardens has closed but you may want to add Busch Gardens and maybe not as many days at Magic Kingdom but Islands of Adventure is worth a look even if the children dont like the huge coasters there's still enough to do.

If any of your youngsters are Harry Potter fans I'm not sure if that will have opened by Easter but would hazard a guess they will be trying to do so to maximise revenue.

lafifille
11-01-2010, 14:12
I agree with Sandra. Parks are exhausting, so if you can cut your day in two halves and relax in the middle you'll enjoy it a lot more. If you take combo tickets you can spend that half day break in the water park related to the park you're visiting that day (ex: Seaworld and Aquatica). I think you pay parking ($12!)only once then, but you may want to double check that. Coming and going from the same park is free.
Do plan for one day off in between parks, or you'll need a vacation to recover from your vacation :D. Trying to do too much you might very well not enjoy it, specially with a 5 years old.
I recommend Blue Springs State Park, which we enjoyed tremendously. You may still see manatees in early April, and lots of other wildlife (yes, gators). You can take a swim too (the water is a constant 73°C).
We also consider our half day deep sea fishing (tickets on the site above) as one of the best day we had.
Then of course you should spend a day on the Gulf.
Airboats trips are fun, specially with kids.
Universal is coupled with Island of Adventures, which means actually two parks. Both are lots of fun.
Seaworld is great too: my children would spend hours just petting the manta rays, and they loved feeding the dolphins.
Have fun!

Jill
11-01-2010, 20:10
We took our children to Magic Kingdom when they were younger on Easter Sunday and that year they closed the gates mid to late morning. It was very very busy but worth it as they really enjoyed the Easter parade.

The state parks are definitely worth a visit and the rangers at the Blue Springs state park give talks on the manatees when they are about as it is a manatee refuge.

Lyn
11-01-2010, 20:39
You should definately plan a few more peaceful days. Blue Springs is great and a very relaxing day. Sea World offer a free day with there 1 day addmission so you can spread it out and not rush about to much.

Rolmill
13-01-2010, 01:33
Many thanks for the replies - especially for the advice re taking plenty of rest days.[msnsmile] Will also try to visit Blue Springs - is it close to Kissimmee?

Lafifille - by a day on the Gulf, do you mean at a beach (if so, any particular recommendations)?

Thanks.

lafifille
13-01-2010, 21:11
Beach (Clearwater is very nice, but there are a lot of nice beaches along the coast), shelling, take a boat tour... dolphin-watching on the Sea-Screamer is very popular (although we personnally didn't really think it was worth the expense), and we've seen one of those "pirate" boats too while there. There are really many activities to choose from, or you could spend a day doing nothing[msnwink]: I'm sure the kids would love to just spend a day on the beach [msnwink].
You should take a look at the Gulf Coast forum, you'll find many many ideas.

Blue Springs State Park is about 1 hour drive as far I can remember, but I guess it depends on where you're staying. Easily done as a day trip anyway.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Rolmill
Many thanks for the replies - especially for the advice re taking plenty of rest days.[msnsmile] Will also try to visit Blue Springs - is it close to Kissimmee?

Lafifille - by a day on the Gulf, do you mean at a beach (if so, any particular recommendations)?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Rolmill
14-01-2010, 02:30
Thanks lafifille - you're right, kids and wife all love the beach, I'm the only non sun-worshipper in the family - so I'm always outvoted:D

Rolmill
01-02-2010, 00:27
...and some follow-up questions re Easter Sunday itself:

As we'll have just flown in the previous evening, would it be advisable to treat Easter Sunday as a rest day at the villa and avoid the parks (especially if they are very busy), or would we be missing out on great special parades or shows? I'm not sure how to balance the attractions of any special holiday events against the risk of enduring an over-tired 5 year-old.[msneek]

Also, are all the parks open that day? Jill mentioned the Easter Day parade at Magic Kingdom, but would all the parks put on similar events - and be similarly busy?

It's tempting to spend Sunday recovering from the journey, swimming at the villa, doing the shopping, planning the next couple of weeks - but I'm happy to be persuaded towards a more active first day[msnwink]

DaveL
01-02-2010, 01:50
Easter Sunday and Christmas Day are the two days of the year that the Magic Kingdom can reach it's guest limit and then they stop people going in.

We were there one Christmas day when this happened. The crowds inside were really bad everyone was packed in. I would stay home and watch the parade on TV or go to one of the other parks that are slightly less busy.

Dave

Rolmill
01-02-2010, 17:33
Thanks Dave, makes sense - my vote would be to go early to Animal Kingdom, spend the morning there and then spend the afternoon relaxing at the villa (or maybe go to a water park).[msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
01-02-2010, 18:40
Roland
Most people find it takes a couple of days (especially for children) to get into the time zone so often find that everybody is up at aroud 4 or 5 (depending on your travel arrival time of course) so you may find they have plenty of energy first thing and then flag quite early. I would say just with how everyone is feeling. The only thing I would suggest is to see if you can arrange for a grocery pack in case the shops arent open on Sunday. Im sure there will be some but as its your first time then it might make it more stressful if you are trying to find somewhere. Youll always find somewhere to eat but its snacks etc for indoors you may need.

Susan J
01-02-2010, 18:54
First Day, Sea World
2nd Day, rest
3rd day,Animal Kingdom, and water park
4th day, rest
5th Day Magic Kingdom
6th day rest
7th day Hollywood Studios [Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are different parks btw]
8th day, water park
9th Day Epcot
10th day rest
11th day shopping, florida Mall and Outlets
12th day water park
13th day rest
14th go home :(
Hope this helps- I put them in that order to wean you in gently................ have a great holiday!

Rolmill
03-02-2010, 02:00
Thanks Susan, that looks like a pretty good programme - I suspect we'll end up with something close to that[msnsmile].

The tip about a grocery pack is helpful also - not sure whether any shops (e.g. supermarkets) would be open on Easter Sunday? I had been thinking about a quick trip on Saturday evening, but tiredness and unpacking/exploring may get in the way!

steph_goodrum
03-02-2010, 02:43
Thanks Susan, that looks like a pretty good programme - I suspect we'll end up with something close to that[msnsmile].

The tip about a grocery pack is helpful also - not sure whether any shops (e.g. supermarkets) would be open on Easter Sunday? I had been thinking about a quick trip on Saturday evening, but tiredness and unpacking/exploring may get in the way!
[/quote]

The other reason I suggested it is in case your flight is delayed on the Saturday and you dont arrive in time to get some food in.

lafifille
03-02-2010, 20:05
If you go on the Walmart website you can locate the 24/7 store closest to your villa. Then you can place a quick phone call to see if they're open on Easter sunday. The one on Vineland Rd is (407) 397-1125 . As previously said, you'll be up very (very) early in the morning, and can very well decide to go and do some quick grocery shopping at 5 am. Of course it works for other stores too, if you don't like Walmart [msnwink]. You'll also be able to get some basic stuuf from gas stations or better at 7/11 on your way from the airport to the villa (milk, bread, juice, beer [msnwink]....).
Or... you could eat out that day: Golden Corral for breakfast, great with kids as it is a buffet. Then play it by ear as you'll be on a different time zone.
We also found it easy to go to a park the first day (Seaworld actually!): we were up very early and very excited, and were there even before it opened[msnwink]. We had a great morning and started to feel very tired around lunch time, so went back to the villa, grabbed something to eat on our way (KFC I think) and spent the afternoon relaxing by the pool. Then we went out for dinner.
The great thing about renting a villa is that you'll actually be able to rest if you come back in the afternoon (hotels can be noisy during the day) and charge your batteries for the evening, specially the first few days, when your body clock is upset.

Rolmill
04-02-2010, 02:28
...and still the helpful information and advice pours in - I'm glad I found this site[msnsmile].

Thanks all!

Susan J
04-02-2010, 03:58
Incidentally all Walmarts are open every day of the year, 24/7, I am pretty sure.

blott
04-02-2010, 14:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Susan J
Incidentally all Walmarts are open every day of the year, 24/7, I am pretty sure.[/quote]I think you'll find that they close on Christmas Eve in the evening and reopen on 26 December as does almost everything else. At least they have done when we've been there.

Not sure about Easter, sorry.

steph_goodrum
04-02-2010, 15:19
They definitely closed Christams Eve and opened on 26th last year.

gpullan
04-02-2010, 15:36
In my opinion, there are too many rest days in what has been suggested.

Out itinerary for our first trip last year with kids aged 9,7,5 and 4 months was:

Arrival - Walmart for shopping / kids in pool while adults unpack
Day 1 - Magic Kingdom
Day 2 - Seaworld
Day 3 - Wet N Wild (back in villa for 3pm to chill)
Day 4 - Universal Studios
Day 5 - Rest (Magic Kingdom for fireworks in the evening)
Day 6 - Discovery Cove
Day 7 - Gulf of Mexico
Day 8 - Blizzard Beach (back in villa for 3pm to chill)
Day 9 - Islands of Adventure
Day 10 - Rest / Hollywood Studios (stay for Fantasmic)
Day 11 - Busch Gardens
Day 12 - Aquatica / Epcot (stay for Illumi-nations)
Day 13 - Animal Kingdom
Day 14 - Shopping / Airport

We did this easily with not too much tiredness for kids. We have also learnt from last year that we are better staying out at the end of the day and going for dinner, rather than coming back and getting changed to go out for dinner (that really wiped the kids out).

We go next Friday and the itinerary is not that much different (other than staying out to eat).

We figure that if this is the last time we have the chance to go then we don't want to spend it relaxing in the villa when there is so much out there. no you can't do everything in one 2 week holiday but you can give it a good go!

Hope this is of some use to you and have a great time.

Rolmill
05-02-2010, 02:34
Garry, thanks for the suggestions - I suspect you are more active than us(!), but I certainly agree that we don't want to feel afterwards that we wasted time. Sounds like you don't count the water parks as "full-on" parks, but are they really more like rest days, or somewhere in-between? I'm not sure how long you can sensibly spend there before kids (ages 5 - 14) start getting bored/cold/tired (depends on the kids I suppose[msnwink]).

Anyway, hope you have a great trip.

Lyn
05-02-2010, 06:23
I think a water park day is much more relaxing than a theme park day. I doubt the kids will get bored, getting cold will depend on the weather, the younger ones may get tired but I am always surprised at how kids will find extra reserves of energy when they are having fun.

lafifille
05-02-2010, 12:53
No way the kids whatever their age would get bored! Specially considering it's your first trip to Florida.A lot of people here will tell you that just staying at the villa in the pool is a blast for their kids and they have to drag them out of it to go to the parks :D.
Unfortunately I don't think you will know how "resistant" your children will be until you get there, but Lyn is true when she says that they tend to find that extra reserve of energy when need be. And you can't really plan on what they will love most, they could surprise you. My kids (11 and 14) would have spent their day at Seaworld sitting by the mantas and petting them, that's something I could not have anticipated :D.

Now, I don't hear you express concern about YOU getting tired, and I would definitely take that into consideration [msnwink]. Don't forget it's a vacation, and that you won't be able to do everything in one trip anyway.

I still think that 1 day in a park then 1 day out doing something else is a great way to enjoy yourself in Florida without exhausting yourself. By something else I mean National Parks, beach, airboat trips, visit orange groves, gator farm, fishing, Old Kissimmee (the old cars show is cool), Celebration, and so on. You can even do a few hours in a water park on those days.
You're probably getting combo tickets, valid several days, so why don't you release the pressure and play it by ear depending on how you feel? Don't forget you can always order more tickets and get them at the office once in Kissimmee if you feel you're not doing enough.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you'll have great fun. I think you are really putting yourself in the best conditions for a wonderful vacation. And isn't the planning lots of fun and excitement [msnwink][clap].

gpullan
05-02-2010, 13:33
Garry, thanks for the suggestions - I suspect you are more active than us(!), but I certainly agree that we don't want to feel afterwards that we wasted time. Sounds like you don't count the water parks as "full-on" parks, but are they really more like rest days, or somewhere in-between? I'm not sure how long you can sensibly spend there before kids (ages 5 - 14) start getting bored/cold/tired (depends on the kids I suppose[msnwink]).

Anyway, hope you have a great trip.
[/quote]No the water parks are definitely more relaxed than say walking around Magic Kingdom. The reason we go back to the villa around 3pm is that we went in October last time and are going next Friday this time so it gets dark/cool in the early evening. If we get to the park for opening then we have a good 4-5 hours in there which for a water park is enough for us.

The only 'full on' days we have are:

Busch Gardens
Gulf of Mexico
Magic Kingdom
Epcot

All the others we find can be done by around 3pm so still get to go back to the villa to relax and recharge the batteries for the next day.

For us we find we don't want to miss anything and basically do every major park and water park along with a day on the beach in the 14 days. Sounds a lot but we do relax and the kids love it. [high5]