PDA

View Full Version : Travel Cot / Moses Basket

gpullan
07-01-2010, 17:32
Hi all,

Does anyone know if we will be able to either:

Take our travel cot or moses basket with us as checked in baggage for free as we can with car seats, pushchair etc...??

or

Buy a cheap moses basket with mattress in Florida while we're there?? We're staying on highlands Reserve in Davenport.

Got one 20 month old and one 6 week old and the villa we have rented (from here) has one travel cot.

Albert the Frog
07-01-2010, 17:42
We got a really good one from Walmart and brought it home-we didn't pay for travel

gpullan
07-01-2010, 17:43
Was that a travel cot or moses basket???

chrizzy100
07-01-2010, 17:54
Pity I'm not there or you could of had mine..I've been trying to find it a home for ages..

Albert the Frog
07-01-2010, 18:15
it was a few years ago and it was a travel cot-i've had a look at walmart and they don't have a similar one now but they have these that looked quite good;
Kushies - Collapsible UV-Protected Bed, Blue $59.98
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11018300

gpullan
07-01-2010, 18:23
Looks perfect! Strange as i did a search on Walmart for Travel Cribs, moses baskets, travel cots and never saw this one.

Doesn't say they have them in store, just a site to store shipping option so not sure whether i would be able to do this from UK?

DANESKA18
07-01-2010, 18:37
Hi Gary

We bought the one we have at the villa from Toys R Us up at the Florida Mall. Can't remember the price but it wasn't huge amounts and is a Graco Pack'n'Play. Alternatively, we have travelled before with our own travel cot - you just have to count it as one of your pieces of checked baggage (it's not counted as 'in addition to' as with your car seat).

caroline
07-01-2010, 18:44
Garry try searching for pack n play rather than travel cribs.

gpullan
07-01-2010, 19:00
Can't seem to find anything like the Kushies one. Pack N Play are more playpens than somewhere for a 6 week old baby to sleep.

Ideally i would like one to buy here and take with us which is why the Kushies one would be perfect cos it really is a fold up one that doesn't take any space up in a suitcase.

I'll keep trawling to try and find one, thanks for all your advice.

Cheers

gpullan
07-01-2010, 19:30
Search for pop up travel cot in Ebay............spoilt for choice.

Thanks again everyone.

Lyn
07-01-2010, 20:47
You can order from Walmart for "ship to store" but you need to pay with paypal as they only take US credit cards.

caroline
07-01-2010, 22:24
Here's a selection of pack n plays from Walmarthttp://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=pack+n+play&Find.x=21&Find.y=11&Find=Find

berni_richards
08-01-2010, 00:05
or try the burlington coat factory good prices sale on at moment too.

andrewandcarole
08-01-2010, 00:20
Personally I wouldn't want the additional pressure of having to dash out to buy a bed for the baby immediately after arriving.
What if the flight is delayed and you arrive very late at night? You'll all be tired and the last thing you'll feel like doing is dashing out to buy a cot.

Why not hire a standard cot for the older child? That way it will be there at the villa when you arrive.
No hassle - both babies can go straight to bed.

Your villa owner will be able to organise this for you.

In fact it would be worth asking the owner if they can help with this - as they may have a neighbour who would have a spare cot you could borrow. Certainly, our villa neighbours are such good friends of ours that we would help each other out in this way.

gpullan
08-01-2010, 00:55
Thanks for all the info guys.

I have just bought a Mamas & Papas one from EBay for £22. It is a pop up type so when down is in a very small carry bag.

To rent one from the MC in Florida it was $5 per day so more expensive.

We really needed a moses basket type as he is only 6 weeks old so too small for a cot / playpen type.

I agree that trying to get one on the day of arrival would be stressful and mean we would have to find a Walmart whereas we plan on using the Publix right at the side of Highlands Reserve.

Thanks again, 5 weeks today and we'll be using it!!

DANESKA18
08-01-2010, 01:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewandcarole
Personally I wouldn't want the additional pressure of having to dash out to buy a bed for the baby immediately after arriving.
What if the flight is delayed and you arrive very late at night? You'll all be tired and the last thing you'll feel like doing is dashing out to buy a cot.[/quote]

This made me laugh! A couple of years ago we stayed in Florida (not at our villa) and when we arrived at the complex we had to wait to get into our apartment. Eventually we got in, only to find that the cot we had pre-booked was not there. So we phoned housekeeping to be told "one will be sent to you". We waited and waited but nothing arrived. Our youngest was only six months old and bed time came and went with no cot. Danny had gone out to Publix to stock up and the other 3 children had all wilted and headed off to bed. So, in the absence of anything better, our baby spent her very first night on American soil in........one of our cases!! Danny nearly had a fit when he arrived back from the supermarket to find her fast asleep in a black Antler suitcase (I'd left the top open, needless to say). She had a very pleasant night's sleep and the cot duly arrived the following morning![msnsmile2]

steph_goodrum
08-01-2010, 02:24
Alison
I was going to suggest improvisation but thought I'd get shot down. Taking the mattress from the moses basket at home and putting it in the case it could easily be used in a suit case on arrival or even a drawer taken out of the dresser which is exactly what happened in days gone by. As the baby is only going to ba few weeks old there isnt the risk of climbing, falling or rolling and saves buying extra equipment for a couple of weeks.

E. Cosgrove
09-01-2010, 11:51
I remember in my early days as a community midwife, one of my young mums changed her mind about adoption at the last minute and her baby spent his early days very comfortably and very safely in a laundry basket!! :D

I'm all for improvisation if necessasry!

lafifille
09-01-2010, 13:04
Now I'm laughing too! I thought about suggesting the laundry basket but thought I'd be frowned upon. But it worked for us when I had to find an emergency solution in the middle of the night...For some reason I was changing the baby's diaper in the cot and he decided a little (well...) poop was necessary. Those of you who nursed their baby will easily visualize the disaster...[msnwink] I then remembered my mother told me she would carry us around the farm tending to her chores in a laundry basket when she didn't want to leave us in the house.