PDA

View Full Version : Being 33, single and not owning a business...

Flip
05-01-2004, 03:56
Hi all,

great forum, I've been reading over the many posts here for a while now and I must admit, it doesn't look good for my chances of a move to be honest.

I'm flying over in Feb '04 to see an Immigration Attorney and my best chance of getting a visa to live and work in the states. But being 33, single and not owning a business [I have some real estate which I plan to sell when, or if I am able to move] and this will raise @ $50,000.

I have friends in Florida who tell me I have a base and a place to stay, I've known them almost 3 years now and they are like family to me in the same way I am to them. We have also talked about the possibility of a business venture, but this is no where near the magic 100k or so needed. Even if this were to be a success [and I could help invest in the upstart of it] would they be able to sponsor me? Mmmmm, I just can't see it happening... so I thought I'd post on here and see if anyone knows any better.

The visa entry is a bit of a minefield. What are my chances of being able to move to the USA and enjoy a better way of life? I will hopefully have some more concrete ideas by the end of this month, but any ideas or experience from anyone who's been in the same boat would be much appreciated :)

Have a great 2004!

;)

florida4sun
05-01-2004, 06:00
Sorry but no they cannot sponsor you (100% no). Only close family can do that brother, sister, parents. You can do an E2 with $50K as ther is no stipulation on the am0ount required. Typically the look for around $100k.
Do not go into business with anyone over here, you need to be 100% in control. Top make your E2 work you will need to invest the $50k and proove an owner benefit of around $60 p/a. Very hard thing to do without buying a business straight off. Also they do like to see family units making the move and in the current climate a single male is not going have an easy root.
You also ned to prove that the business will support you for healthcare and day to day living. Staying with friends is not going to look good.
Sorry to be blunt but I would say you have very little chance without a 100% garanteed business plan. You must also allow for attornies fees of around $4k possibly more. Healthcare would run around $400 per month for good coverage, less for coverage that doesnt cover!!

esprit
05-01-2004, 06:13
You and I both know that the initial investment isnt the end of it, Martin. You need working capital, money to buy a vehicle, a fortune to insure it without a previous driving record. And if you have employees, dont forget you need money for liability and workers comp insurance before you can trade. $50,000, even if you could find a business for that which will bring in $60,000 pa ( doubtful) is too tight for comfort.
What do you do for a living? You could always try and find a job and get a H1B employment visa.

Flip
08-01-2004, 04:10
Well, it's kinda sad to know I have almost no chance of going to the States now. I rang an immigration lawyer earlier in the week and his secretary says I should still go for a consultation and discuss my plans, but all in all this is pretty depressing stuff. My friends in the Cape can't believe it's so hard for a clean living, hard working Brit to get in [with @ 50k at least to support myself] - they see people coming in from all over, all of the time... but hey, that's the world we live in right?

I wish everyone on here who's ambition and goal in life it is to move and live in the States the very best of luck! And may all your dreams come true... and for some people, no matter where their heart is, it's just not meant to be. Part of me still wants to see this lawyer, but a large percentage says I'm wasting both his and my time... and being charged into the bargain. Should I give it shot? Or just admit what I seem to know now... it's just not going to happen.

;)

blott
08-01-2004, 19:29
Well, even if it doesn't happen now Flip, it might do some time in the future, you never know. Did you ask your attorney about an H1B employment visa (if it's appropriate to you)?

steph_goodrum
08-01-2004, 20:00
Never say never, if you go over on holiday you might just find the perfect American girl and get married.:D:D:D
She might get a bit suss when you start asking about her visa/citizenship status etc however.

asbaum
09-01-2004, 08:32
Another thought. You might consider applying to a smaller inexpensive local community college that may take you in on a student visa. The tuition wouldn't be that expensive compared to a full fledged university.

Check out these sites:

http://www.studyusa.com/factshts/valencia.htm
Center for Global Languages at Valencia Community College (Orlando, FL 32802)

10-Week Courses
Tuition Only, No Lodging-$2000
Tuition & Homestay* with meals-$4050
Tuition, Homestay (no meals)-$3350
Tuition & Dormitory Room (Summer only)-$3750

International Student Documentation Requirements
A passport and visa are required for most international students entering the United States. Students enrolled in a 2-week or 4-week program (16 hours of study per week) may come to the United States on a tourist visa (B-1 or B-2). Apply at your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Students accepted for study in a 10-week program (18 hours of study per week) need an I-20 form (Certificate of Student Eligibility) so that they may obtain a student F-1 visa. The Center for Global Languages will begin to issue I-20s in January 2004. After receiving the I-20 form from CGL, apply for an F-1 Student Visa at the USA Embassy or Consulate in your home country before departure PLEASE CONSULT YOUR LOCAL U.S. EMBASSY OR CONSULATE FOR ALL VISA REGULATIONS.

or

http://www.studyusa.com/factshts/schiller.htm
Schiller is frequently cited as "the international university" for the university has campuses in Florida (United States), London (England), Paris and Strasbourg (France), Madrid (Spain), Heidelberg (Germany), and Engelberg and Leysin (Switzerland). The institution also has cooperative agreements with some 40 universities and colleges around the world, and the student body represents men and women from over 100 countries. (Dunedin, Florida 34698-7532)

They offer "tourist" vocations, like:

(AS) International Hotel and Tourism Management
Concentration:
Hotel Management
Tourism Management
Food Service Management

I personally do not know anything about these colleges or universities other than what a quick search on the net revealed.

These are in Florida, but there are many others that are all over the USA.
see (for Featured Programs - 2-year/Community Colleges in the USA):
http://www.studyusa.com/toc.asp?lstCat=2-year%2FCommunity+Colleges&lstLang=English&optSort=Geo

But, this may the back door in that you could be looking for.

And you get an education along the way!!! Which could possibly hook you up with one of the many hotels in the area - and who knows, possibly a back door into a job with an H1B employment visa, good benefits and great pay. I'm always optimistic.

Just a thought. Check it out, you have nothing to lose, and who knows, maybe a world to gain!!

Good Luck,
Arnie

esprit
10-01-2004, 09:13
An interesting statistic is that though one of the premises of the F1 student visa is that you study in the US and then go home, in fact 60% of F1 visa holders never do and end up staying in the US and getting jobs on H1B. Be careful though. A two year associate degree such as they do at Valncia will not get you a H1B as it needs to be a bachelors degree ( for any profession except nursing). You can however do the first two years of a bachelors degree at a place such as Valencia and then transfer to say UCF to do the rest That saves on costs.