PDA

View Full Version : kids at 21

jimbo
04-01-2004, 03:16
Hi,
we will be moving to Florida via e2visa. My kids are 14 and 6.
I understand that at the age of 21 they will have to apply for their own visas. I was wondering if my eldest did very well at school and was to get a job with a green card. Could she sponser the rest of the family to apply for green cards?
That would mean changing our status from e2 to gcards.

Jimbo

florida4sun
04-01-2004, 03:56
I cannot see anyway they could get a green card from being fresh out of school. Youll have to marry them off....

quote:Originally posted by jimbo

Hi,
we will be moving to Florida via e2visa. My kids are 14 and 6.
I understand that at the age of 21 they will have to apply for their own visas. I was wondering if my eldest did very well at school and was to get a job with a green card. Could she sponser the rest of the family to apply for green cards?
That would mean changing our status from e2 to gcards.

Jimbo

jimbo
04-01-2004, 04:10
Bit drastic that isn't it.
Ok let me put it this way. If one of our kids had a green card, could he/she sponser her parents/brothers/sisters to get green cards?

jimbo

florida4sun
04-01-2004, 06:26
Yep. But they would not be wise to do this as they would be responsible for any debts and healthcare bills.
Have you goit your E2 approved yet. This can be difficult.

quote:Originally posted by jimbo

Bit drastic that isn't it.
Ok let me put it this way. If one of our kids had a green card, could he/she sponser her parents/brothers/sisters to get green cards?

jimbo

kaysvacationvilla
04-01-2004, 06:36
Is it because of the weather in Florida that makes one want to move from the UK to the US?

florida4sun
04-01-2004, 06:48
Better weather, better business environment, bigger houses for less money, generally a higher standard of living for less.

quote:Originally posted by kaysvacationvilla

Is it because of the weather in Florida that makes one want to move from the UK to the US?

esprit
04-01-2004, 08:15
I have a 18 year old here with me and have done extensive reserach on this. This is the correct information.

A child CAN get a job and then a green card. But only if they get a bachelors degree and it is a graduate job. If a child changes status from E2 to F1 student, they are given a year here post college graduation to find an employer who will sponsor them for H1B. HIB leads to gteen card. Very few jobs lead directly to a green card rather than HIB and then green card later ( nursing and physio are amongst these and are the areas my son is considering.
Once they get a green card, they CANNOT sponsor a parent, only a spouse or a child so I think you are misinformed there, Martin. To sponsor a parent you have to take citizenship 5 years down the line so it is a lengthy process.
Also please note
1. A child 18-21 who has left school and is no longer in full time education is not really entitled to stay here as E2 dependant. If you have a renewal, they will not be included. I heard of a child here since age 6 sent home at 18 because he had left school and not gone on to college.
2. Your child will be an international student for college purposes, a difference of some $10,000 pa in some cases. This is so irrespective of the fact you live here. All sorts of affidavits of parents means also need signing, The one I saw asked me to certify that I could sponsor my child to the tune of $22,000 pa!!!
The DREAM Act currently under consideration but with significant opposition in some quarters would give a green card to any child here for five years before the age of 16. It would be conditional upon his graduating college or doing military service. The opposition is because its primary purpose is to legimtimise the situation of the American educated children of illegal immigrants.
This aint easy, Jimbo. I know I keep saying it, but there are difficulties each way you turn. The situation of E2 dependant kids is one of the biggest.

steph_goodrum
04-01-2004, 14:09
Doesn't the DREAM act also have a cut off date Julie , I can't remember exactly when but the child had to be 16 before a certain date (which has already passed I think) so it is really a one off "tidying up effect" rather than a new entitlement.

esprit
05-01-2004, 07:20
No-one is quite sure what the terms will be, Steph. The wording is really ambiguous. If it does come in, most attornies seem to think it will open the floodgates but who knows.