PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Golf Course?

Spuddybaby
19-11-2009, 13:17
What is everyones favourite courses out in Florida?

have to say mine is Falcons Fire.
It was the first course i ever played out there, and it is also the closest course to where we stay, Disney All Star Hotel.
I think also its because its the first course we play whenever we go out there so, when i am standing on the first tee, i know i have most of my holiday still ahead of me!!

Have also played Mystic Dunes, Shingle Creek, Disney's Palm, Lake Buena Vista, Magnolio and Eagle Creek before it was closed down.

Next year i am going to play Diamondback, Hunters Creek, Osprey Ridge at Disney (to complete the set), both Champions gate courses, Eagle Creek, Southern Dunes and to to it off Sawgrass Stadium Course!!

Roll on next November!!

mfairhurst
19-11-2009, 14:16
We are near Falcon Fire golf course and most of golfing guests use and as you said it is very good .
Other golf courses such as Kissimmee , Marriotts which has been designed by Nick Faldo so you have a few choices in Florida .
Enjoy your next game there .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

MarkJan
19-11-2009, 17:43
What a tough choice. I used to think Falcons Fire was top quality until I played Celebration & Harmony. Diamondback is a little scruffy but a wonderful challenge. If you beat your handicap there you have done well.

Legends on H27 is a challenge as it is one of the few courses I have played in Florida that has elevation changes. I am also looking forward to playing both Championsgate courses, Reunion are good but tough and expensive.

Whatever the course, golf in Florida is great value compared to the UK and, it's generally sunny!

freddiehollie
19-11-2009, 23:37
Not yet found time to play in Florida.[msnsad] But a few years back played three courses in and around New Orleans. Two old one new.
The new one was called Pelican Point near Baton Rouge. Good course but the Americans called it Links.
Have to say they wouldn't know a Links course if it jumped up and kicked them[msneek].
Although the weather was great you just cannot beat Royal Birkdale,Royal Lytham,Royal Liverpool,Hillside,S&A,St Annes Old Links,Formby,West Lancs,Etc[clap][clap] But thats another debate[msnwink]

Spuddybaby
20-11-2009, 12:45
MarkJan - Yes its definately nice to golf in the sun wearing shorts and t-shirts in November, which is when i go to Florida.

Especially leaving temporary greens, winter tees and horrible muddy fairways at home for courses where the ball still flies in the warm air, greens that roll true and great weather!!

Legends is another course i am looking to play next year. although not sure if the missus will let me get another round in!!

SDJ
20-11-2009, 18:47
Hubby has been playing at Providence for the past few weeks - cost anything from $12 - $20 including cart!!!! Of course now the 'season' has started the fees have now all gone up to anything between %45 -$150 on various courses! He played Ridgewood Lakes last week which was $40. It's nearly killing him after playing for an average of $15!!![msnwink][msnwink]

Sandra

Anthony Brook
26-11-2009, 21:21
I have to say the best course I have played is Southern Dunes. It is not a biased view just because my villa is there either.

The design is very, very good and is how a course just be judged, first and foremost. The condition of the greens can have an effect on your days golfing but they can be good one month and not so good the next but design is permanent. I have just come back after playing 4 rounds with 7 golfers all 28 handicappers (I am 7). They loved Southern Dunes and said it was the best course they have ever played. We played Harmony and Legends but then they wanted to play Southern Dunes again. I played in August on SD 5 times with varying standards of golfer and all the single figure players raved about it. We are not talking about value for money here as there are some great deals to be had. it is best course you have played in Florida. Sawgrass has got to be on all golfers wish lists.

Not played Falcons Fire but have heard it is very American (if you know what I mean). Some Americans I have played with say Orange County is good.

I have played Diamondback many times, Ridgewood Lakes, Bridgewater, Hunters Creek and one or two others.

How do they rate with British and Europes courses? I have played Royal Lytham, Woodhall Spa, Belfry, Forest of Arden etc etc. and all I can say is they are different but the best course I have ever played without a shadow of doubt is Monte Rei in Portugal. Knocks spots off San Lorenzo and the other top sopts in Portugal.

I have played over 250 courses and would rate Southern Dunes in my top 10 maybe even top 5.

Mike I take it you are from West of the Pennines? In the North of Leeds we have some top notch courses too and they all just about meet with each other. Alwoodley (superb), Moortown (held Ryder Cup), Headingley, Sandmoor, Moor Allerton, Cobblehall etc. etc. Golfers paradise, just no sun[msncool][msnsad]

Spuddybaby
27-11-2009, 17:42
southern Dunes is on my "to play" list for next November (ahh that sounds so long away...[msnsad])

Off topic, i played Vale do Lobo, all of the courses in Vilamoura and Quinta Do Lago a few years back, and Quinta Da Lago and Vilamoura Old Course were absolutely fantastic.

But back to Florida, i know what you mean about Falcons Fire being very american. its feels like a stadium course as allof the holes are desinged to keep the ball in play, by way of large mounds, and it is always immaculately kept.
For me, living in Kent, i am used to links courses and parkland courses, which is why the courses in the states are refreshingly new. Its great to play on perfectly manicured fairways and greens, as sometimes the courses over here can be a bit unkept!

Playing in Florida makes me feel like i am playing a tournament course on TV, as the courses are kept so well. that's probably why i enjoy it so much. I put golf in florida on an equal par with the theme parks!!

freddiehollie
27-11-2009, 19:18
Hi Anthony.

Yes, you guessed correct:D I couldn't agree with you more, they are also fantastic courses[clap]

I played 2010 course at Celtic Manor (next years Ryder Cup venue) a while ago. Very American, "Water, Water, Everywhere" but a great layout.

But give me a "true" links anytime[msnwink][msnwink] Birkdale, wind off the beach, Driver on par three's[msneek][msneek]

gpullan
27-11-2009, 19:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Anthony Brook

Mike I take it you are from West of the Pennines? In the North of Leeds we have some top notch courses too and they all just about meet with each other. Alwoodley (superb), Moortown (held Ryder Cup), Headingley, Sandmoor, Moor Allerton, Cobblehall etc. etc. Golfers paradise, just no sun[msncool][msnsad]
[/quote]

Cobblehall?? Really??

My 2nd hole in one was at Headingley, 17th hole. 8 iron was thrown into the field behind, never to be seen again!!! Great course, tough track.

Celebration for me, loved the layout and how it meanders through the $1,000,000 houses!!

Looking forward to playing in February.

Anthony Brook
28-11-2009, 22:25
To be honest Cobblehall is the only one I haven't played Garry. The 17th at Headlingley is rated as one of the best par 3's in England (by someone famous)so a good one to have an ace on. Only plays about 140yds but is index 7, I think (I get a shot on it anyway).

When we played Legends the other week they are doing deals to play Celebration cheap as they are now owned by the same company. Got talking to some lads on the tee who said don't bother it is in a mess! We did pass the course some days later and it did look very brown even at a distance. I pass the course every time I visit Florida and have never seen it looking so bad?

I have played Vale Do Lobo, Pinhal, San Lorenzo, Vila Sol, Vilamoura Victoria, Faldo Course, O'Connor course and a few others in Portugal but honestly Monte Rei is out of this world.
When you have finished your round you are presented with a quality bag tag engraved with your name. I think it is about 170 euros for the pleasure though!!!

I don't play much Links golf but I do love it. In September we went up to Dumfries and played Powfoot, Southerness and then Silloth. Silloth is probably the second best links I have played behind Royal Lytham. I do like it around North Berwick too.

Diamondback is tough as you said Mark. Shot a 78 off the blue tees there but didn't hit a bad shot. I played with 2 Americans who weren't really golfers and just out for the fun. Wasn't too much fun as they lost nearly 40 balls between them!

Spuddybaby
29-11-2009, 01:37
I got a bag tag when i played Bears Best in Vegas last year.
Wat a great novety thing to do.

WIsh more courses would do it, especially when you pay so much for the top courses.
Bears Best was about $160 but we were there when it was $2 to the £1 so was pretty cost effective for us.

Played Luana Hills in Oahu, Hawaii last november and that was more expensive but what a course.
MY dad lost 24 balls in one round. was fairway or rainforst and not much inbetween!!

MarkJan
29-11-2009, 02:29
Diamondback is tough as you said Mark. Shot a 78 off the blue tees there but didn't hit a bad shot. I played with 2 Americans who weren't really golfers and just out for the fun. Wasn't too much fun as they lost nearly 40 balls between them![/quote]I liked Diamondback quite a bit and intend playing there again, there's so much choice though! Shot 81 from the blue with +5 on the last 4 holes, gutted. I've never played a Disney course, which is best?

Anthony Brook
29-11-2009, 14:30
I haven't played any of the Disney courses either but they all like pretty good. I would like to have a bash on the Reunion courses but it seems like a closed shop.

MarkJan
29-11-2009, 15:08
I've played 2 Reunion courses the week after the LPGA event in 2006 and they were expensive. About $100 per person plus tax and you had to stay there.

Beer was expensive from the cart also but no tipping allowed to the cart girls.

gpullan
30-11-2009, 15:05
To be honest Cobblehall is the only one I haven't played Garry. The 17th at Headlingley is rated as one of the best par 3's in England (by someone famous)so a good one to have an ace on. Only plays about 140yds but is index 7, I think (I get a shot on it anyway).

I don't play much Links golf but I do love it. In September we went up to Dumfries and played Powfoot, Southerness and then Silloth. Silloth is probably the second best links I have played behind Royal Lytham. I do like it around North Berwick too.
[/quote]

Can't remember the yardage but i do remember the sweet 8 iron off the bank to the left! A lot of years ago now though. One thing i do remember is expecting to empty my wallet at the bar for everyone after and finding out that the corporate day had a free bar! bonus!!

What a wonderful area dumfries is and Powfoot a dream to play. The green on the 9th is one to remember. Love the course. We stayed in the Powfoot Hotel and our room overlooked the 9th green. We then moved along the coast and stayed in Port Patrick. Played Southerness when it was in the top 100, didn't rate it, a bit boring although played well. Played 'dunsky' (portpatrick) which was ok then Stranraer which is one of the best courses i have ever played, loved it. Port Patrick is a great village to have as a base, especially The Waterfront Hotel.

I must admit that when we played Celebration last October they had just hollow tined and scarified the fairways, they looked horrendous but played ok. We got a good rate because of it and it didn't spoil our day but i expect that is the case again this year as it's around the same time.

I will hopefully play highlands Reserve in February as we're staying there.

Spuddybaby
01-12-2009, 17:18
anthony,

i have played the disney courses except osprey ridge.
Of all of them my favourite is the Palm.
but they are all good in their own right. All pretty challenging. Lake Buena Vista has a good island hole

Depending on when you go, there are tournaments on The Magnolia and Palm. We go in November and that is just after a tournament the funai classic. we playd the magnolia a few dyas after it had fnished, and i have even more respect for the pros, the greens was soo fast, and nearly impossible to stop on unless the ball came down vertical and the rough was unbelievable.

Bazamor
17-07-2011, 22:15
Osprey Ridge is a decent course as are Falcons fire and Metro West. My favourite is Remington more for the welcoming clubhouse and members and staff rather than the course which is tight between houses. A few roofs were hit as i am a boomer off the tee and if slightly offline you can forget it. The rate was excellent and included breakfast and lunch if you wanted them . A better, more welcoming golf club you wont find.

MarkJan
18-07-2011, 18:11
I would now add Southern Dunes to the list, now I know to keep out of the sand !!! Only thing putting (no pun) off Southern Dunes is the cost compared to some others but, great course. Also, Royal St Cloud was impressive earlier this year and cheap.

Anthony Brook
26-07-2011, 19:25
Well to carry this on I am trying to organise a golfing trip with "the boys" and have narrowed it down to either Majorca or Florida. Both have their ups and downs.
Looking at playing 5 times and already have Southern Dunes and Diamondback down but was looking for 3 more. Looking more top end and not just cheap as Diamondback is about as cheap as it comes and have a budget of around $250 for the golf which in September goes a fair way.
Was thinking of playing Championsgate but I played the International in June and wasn't overly impressed. Supposed to be a "links" style course but apart from the fact there are no trees it is nothing like. Was thinking of Falcons Fire and maybe Crooked Cat or Panther Lakes. Anybody played any of these?

Anthony Brook
26-07-2011, 19:33
Oh yes, having read through the thread again we are heading back to Scotland in September and playing in the Newport Stewart Open beofre heading to Portpatrick and then the Ailsa Course at Turnberry which should be a treat.
If you play in the opens up there you tend to pay about £7 for the round so the £95 to play Turnberry doesn't seem so bad with an average of £51 per round.
Played for our annual Claret Jug at Forest of Arden last week and it really is an under rated course. Every hole is strong. Belfry next year and then the trip to either Majorca or Florida after that.

cash
27-07-2011, 16:31
Well to carry this on I am trying to organise a golfing trip with "the boys" and have narrowed it down to either Majorca or Florida. Both have their ups and downs.
Looking at playing 5 times and already have Southern Dunes and Diamondback down but was looking for 3 more. Looking more top end and not just cheap as Diamondback is about as cheap as it comes and have a budget of around $250 for the golf which in September goes a fair way.
Was thinking of playing Championsgate but I played the International in June and wasn't overly impressed. Supposed to be a "links" style course but apart from the fact there are no trees it is nothing like. Was thinking of Falcons Fire and maybe Crooked Cat or Panther Lakes. Anybody played any of these?

Hi Anthony,

Have played falcons Fire a few times and found it to be one of the best in the Kissimmee area but a bit pricey, we are nest door to Mystic Dunes so always play that when we are over, in fact a few years ago I joined it as they were offering a fantastic deal, again an excellent course. Was over In April and played Metro West up past Universal and again found it to be very good.

Other course we have played a few times as we think they are good, Legends/Royal St Cloud/Remmington ( for their all day experince) The Disney courses (Palm & Magnolia) & Stoneybrook West.

If you need any other information let me know.

andy_d
27-07-2011, 20:30
We played Grand Cypress last March and were very impressed. Its a Jack Nicklaus designed course and is normally about $150 a round in the same mould as Falcons Fire, it has actually three 9 hole courses and we played North and South. We got a deal through Golf Now and paid I think about $70 each for a two ball which was great value. We played 5 times that trip and both agreed it was our favourite.

Anthony Brook
28-07-2011, 17:19
I will have a look at those, thanks. I did have Mystic Dunes and Metrowest on a shortlist so will give them more attention. I hadn't realised the Grand Cypress was so well regarded so will have a good look through their website.

cash
29-07-2011, 15:55
I will have a look at those, thanks. I did have Mystic Dunes and Metrowest on a shortlist so will give them more attention. I hadn't realised the Grand Cypress was so well regarded so will have a good look through their website.

Talking of Grand Cypress I received an email from them today offering a 4 ball for $150 including carts/range balls etc but only for a brief period in August but might be worth while calling them before you leave and see if they will offer you any good deals.

wrpac00
29-07-2011, 21:00
We played Grand Cypress last March and were very impressed. Its a Jack Nicklaus designed course and is normally about $150 a round in the same mould as Falcons Fire, it has actually three 9 hole courses and we played North and South. We got a deal through Golf Now and paid I think about $70 each for a two ball which was great value. We played 5 times that trip and both agreed it was our favourite.

Played Grand Cypress for the first a few weeks back for $32. Have to say I wasn't too impressed, greens were very poor.

KPoon
08-10-2011, 18:22
Maybe it is not the best course in Florida but the best value is Fox Hollow in Norther Tampa. It always has lush greens because they can use salt water on them and, of course, have an endless supply

titansfan
05-04-2012, 01:37
Some of my favorites are; Highlands Reserve, Celebration, The Legends at Clermont, Mystic Dunes, Hunter's something

MarkJan
12-04-2012, 20:16
The list of courses I'm hoping to play this trip is below, Celebration and Reunion are my favourites followed by Harmony, Southern Dunes and Legends. A nice long trip this time.

Celebration, Championsgate International & National, Diamondback, Disney's Magnolia, Falcon's Fire, Grande Pines, Harmony, Innisbrook - Copperhead, Kissimmee Bay, Legends at Clermont, Orange County Crooked Cat & Panther Lake, Orange Lake Legends, Providence, Remington, Reunion, Ridgewood Lakes, Royal St Cloud, Southern Dunes, Timacuan, Tuscawilla, Willow Brook & World Woods

andy_d
12-04-2012, 20:28
Crikey Mark, you planning on taking early retirement or something similar?

MarkJan
12-04-2012, 21:04
Crikey Mark, you planning on taking early retirement or something similar?
30 day trip from the 27th due to redundancy. Have booked onto the Latino Open at Reunion on my birthday, I love competitive golf and I get to play at Reunion again! Also going to watch the Players at Sawgrass!

chris c
12-04-2012, 21:14
30 day trip from the 27th due to redundancy. Have booked onto the Latino Open at Reunion on my birthday, I love competitive golf and I get to play at Reunion again! Also going to watch the Players at Sawgrass!

I know someone who has booked to play Sawgrass this trip! Shame you missed it by a few days.:(

MarkJan
14-04-2012, 06:31
I know, I'm gutted. Have to make do with going to Sawgrass to watch the Players Championship. If they have someone drop out I might get a few holes in ;)

MarkJan
02-05-2012, 10:26
I have a new favourite course: World Woods Pine Barrens, http://www.worldwoods.com/golf/pine-barrens

Jan came round on the buggy and asked why all courses didn't look this good? Awesome course.

Anthony Brook
27-03-2013, 19:58
Well flights are booked for November to embark on our lads golfing trip.

They want to play somewhere well known and have mentioned either sawgrass or Bay Hill. I think both work out at £100 each, give or take.

Definates are Southern Dunes, Diamondback and Celebration. Maybes are a Disney course (probably Magnolia) and also World Woods if it isn't too much of a drive. I am over there in two weeks on my own and may have a drive out to see if it warrants it No. 2 position in Golfweek.

Ifs the national course much better than the international? Played the latter but not bothered for playing it again. Legends has too many standard holes, although there is a stretch of 3-4 holes which are great. Harmony was good but a treck and will not bother. Is Providence worth playing?

Hopefully Mark has now played every course in Florida so can give me some pointers;)

freddiehollie
28-03-2013, 12:18
TPC Sawgrass.... $196

Bay Hill..............$225

Current (I think) weekday rates....... Not sure if they are if you stay on site......

Don't forget the drive up to Sawgrass is about 2.5 hours, depending on traffic........

I would do TPC Sawgrass all day long, over Bay Hill.......

Anthony Brook
29-03-2013, 08:05
Mike I have had a look at Sawgrass and to play the Stadium course is coming out at $395 each. Where have you seen it at $196? I think we would pay that for a one off experience but the only course I would pay $395 to play is Augusta. Not sure what the rates would be in November as I can only get them for the next few weeks.

chris c
29-03-2013, 09:00
My husband and SIL played Sawgrass at the beginning of June last year, just after The Player's Championship. It was a special deal through Golfnow and they paid about £120 each.
Both agreed that it was a wonderful experience! They were given a couple of mementos of their day!

MarkJan
29-03-2013, 09:40
Well flights are booked for November to embark on our lads golfing trip.

They want to play somewhere well known and have mentioned either sawgrass or Bay Hill. I think both work out at £100 each, give or take.

Definates are Southern Dunes, Diamondback and Celebration. Maybes are a Disney course (probably Magnolia) and also World Woods if it isn't too much of a drive. I am over there in two weeks on my own and may have a drive out to see if it warrants it No. 2 position in Golfweek.

Ifs the national course much better than the international? Played the latter but not bothered for playing it again. Legends has too many standard holes, although there is a stretch of 3-4 holes which are great. Harmony was good but a treck and will not bother. Is Providence worth playing?

Hopefully Mark has now played every course in Florida so can give me some pointers;)Anthony, I've still got a few courses to play including the Disney Courses despite my best efforts !!! Definitely make the trip to World Woods and if you go, play both courses. If you don't head west, head a little east to Harmony. 7420 yards from the back, I was happy to break a 100 on that round !!!

At Championsgate, I like both courses and having played them both on the same day last year, I'd prefer the National. I'm looking at Bay Hill for our trip in four weeks but you have to stay there. I can't bring myself to pay that much for one round of golf.

Have a good trip.

MarkJan
29-03-2013, 09:45
Mike I have had a look at Sawgrass and to play the Stadium course is coming out at $395 each. Where have you seen it at $196? I think we would pay that for a one off experience but the only course I would pay $395 to play is Augusta. Not sure what the rates would be in November as I can only get them for the next few weeks. After walking the course at The Players, I'd love to play there. The current offers will run out soon as the course will close for preparation for this years tournament. If you can get us on Augusta for $395 I'll fly over.

gpullan
29-03-2013, 10:33
After walking the course at The Players, I'd love to play there. The current offers will run out soon as the course will close for preparation for this years tournament. If you can get us on Augusta for $395 I'll fly over.

If you can get us on Augusta I'll pay for the flights!!......and donate a kidney if required!!

Anthony Brook
29-03-2013, 11:58
The lads are saying its a long way to go and not play Sawgrass but $395 is just too much for a game of golf. Bay Hill works out at $190 with the nights accomadation. I like my golf but it can get stupid and trying to work within a budget as it was either Florida or Majorca and I told them Florida would come out less. So far I am correct if I can keep the 5 rounds to £220.00

Mark I played Harmony a couple of years ago. I played very well but for some strange reason didn't have a lasting impression. May have been that the drive took a lot longer than we thought or that we were on the back end of a hurricane and it was quite cold with a fresh wind. Used to that here but we all turned up in shorts and polo shirts! We were finished in the dark as it has been very slow, although not that busy! Must have just had a group in front without a care in the world. Would go back but not sure it is worth the drive for our group as non of them have played a single course in Florida. There are closer courses of the same standard we can play, although probably not at the great rates HArmony come up with. Just had an e-mail from them saying $29 this weekend.

I think I am going to have a drive to World Woods next month (if I get a day away from the villa work). Looks like a 2hr drive so as you say maybe worth playing both courses once there. Think you can play both for about $90.

freddiehollie
29-03-2013, 18:46
Hi Anthony

As Christine says, specials are available, from time to time.

I agree though, that's a lot of money for a game of golf......It makes Royal Birkdale look like a bargain[;)][;)]

I would just keep checking, maybe your trip would coincide with one............ Good luck ;-);-)

CERICROWLEY
30-03-2013, 09:15
Why dont you sign up to The Orange County National Golf. it sends regular email shots with there specials on.Three Courses to choose from Panther ,Crooked Cat and a walking course. They do play some of the PGA qualifiers there so it must be of some quality.

alex
31-03-2013, 19:20
check out this new courses streamsong

Anthony Brook
01-04-2013, 19:56
Alex that looks spectacular!

If that was $100 per round in November I would be there like a shot.

Very different to anything else I have seen in Florida and have obviously invested heavily.

May request a price for 7 golfers.

Ceri I may register with them to see if it throws anything up.

Philomena
02-04-2013, 07:11
The problem with doing this trip in November Anthony is that it is peak prices for Florida golf courses (if Southern Dunes is anything to go by!!). As they are all first time visitors to Florida golf I am sure they will be impressed with whichever courses you decide upon.

Peter played Providence a couple of years ago on the advice of the Pro in the Edwin Watts golf shop but he was not really impressed. The most memorable thing that happened to him that day was when he encountered a large alligator at the back on the second hole. He abandoned his ball!!!!

As long as the 'apres golf' is good I am sure a good time will be had by all!

Anthony Brook
02-04-2013, 21:45
This trip was either Florida or Majorca (Palma Nova) and we have gone with the former as we knew we would be in no state to play golf getting in at daft o'clock each morning.

Wouldn't mind taking the lads to somewhere for a good night out but don't really know of anywhere. Probably sit around the bar in All Star Grill a few nights.

I went with my Dad and 6 others two years ago in November and played Southern Dunes for $40, Harmony for $39 and Legends for $32. You can still get a few deals. I am a memeber of The Dunes Club and can book tee times well in advance at reduced rates. They have my cc details on file and just charge to that. More than makes up for the difference in flight prices. The cheapest i could find in Sept/Oct was about £500 indirect but got Virgin flights for £437 7th November. When you consider Virgin offer free golf clubs and drinks this makes a big difference. I dare say each member of our party will drink £30 worth of beer/wine and clubs are £40 with Delta. Thats a round of golf at a very good course.

We have played some of the better courses in UK so will not be travelling 4000 miles to play poor courses in Florida. Diamondback will be the cheapest but I think is well worth a visit.

Had another good look at Streamsong and looks like you can get on for $114 so may add this. Just been voted the best new course of 2012 anywhere in America!

cash
03-04-2013, 13:16
If you fancy playing where Tiger spent a lot of his younger years as a member try Windermere, we played it a couple of years ago, although its a private course I sent a flowery email and managed to get our group of 8 lads on there. Wasnt that dear either, if you want a night out theres a certain club (ive been told lol) on the 27 by the 192 junction, has the words ranch & chicken in it !!!!, although you might be safer going to city walk, we ended up in the Bob Marley bar but there are plenty of others.

freddiehollie
03-04-2013, 16:09
I was at Windermere last week.......

They were under 4" of snow & the course was closed.........lol.........

Very pretty views though............................

MarkJan
07-04-2013, 07:32
I was at Windermere last week.......

They were under 4" of snow & the course was closed.........lol.........

Very pretty views though............................
Very good... Magnolia Plantation is another good course, Sanctuary Ridge isn't the best looking course but its a proper test.

I haven't played a Disney course yet, any thoughts on which one? We fly out on the 26th so planning which courses is in full swing !!

LFCGeorge
09-04-2013, 18:46
I'm not the biggest golfer anymore (used to golf a lot in my home UK) but I try and make it a must do to play a round of golf when I holiday in Florida

I've played at Southern Dunes twice and although it can be expensive because I have to hire clubs etc. I always love it and it's a wonderful course compared to our UK ones..

I've never went the full 18 holes though, hopefully do a full 18 this time around and probably practice my swing back in the UK before hand at the driving range! ;)

bmitch
10-04-2013, 06:05
I would go for the Magnolia - they have the PGA Disney Classic there every year and have played a couple of times. Very quick greens but lovely course.

Anthony Brook
10-04-2013, 19:21
Playing Southern Dunes on Sunday with a friend:) . I have heard Magnolia too Mark. Still hoping to get a day at World Woods too (I hope the villa doesn't need much work this time)

cash
11-04-2013, 10:32
I dont think you would be dissapointed with either palms or magnolia but we all thought Palms just had the edge.

Anthony Brook
17-04-2013, 12:17
Managed to get to World Woods early yesterday and played both courses. Well worth the 1hr 45min drive.

Joined up with two Americans in the morning and played Pine Barrens which was excellent. Reminded me of Southern Dunes but with no homes and in better condition. This is probably due to the fact hardly anyone ever plays there.

After a nice lunch in the modest clubhouse one of my playing partners stayed with me to play Rolling Oaks. Longer than Pine Barrens and a fantastic course in its own right. Shot a 74 off the black tees (6817 yds) so obviously I was going to enjoy it.

Still quite an expensive time of year but you play the first course for $69 and then get a replay to play the second course and costs $39. I believe in the summer months it is a fair bit cheaper but if this venue were in England you would be paying upward of $150 per round.

An early start (up at 5.30am) but all in all a great day. Fantastic weather, good company, and two of the best golf courses you are likely to play in your lifetime. Shame it isn't closer to Orlando but if it were it would be double the rates and packed.

It is well and truly added to our November list.

Mark and I aside, I bet not many Brits have been and played there. 36 strong holes with some of them leaving you breathless on the tee!

Philomena
17-04-2013, 20:43
Anthony - I did not realise you were in Florida! Put the golf clubs away and nip down to Hardings to get to the bottom of this BE-12 nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pleased you are enjoying your golf in what I assume is wonderful Florida weather. Enjoy the rest of your stay

Anthony Brook
17-04-2013, 20:48
Weather really nice just now, if not a little hot for working in. Only here until Friday and up to my neck in cleaning fluids!

I did put on the "other forum" I was out this week.

MarkJan
19-04-2013, 12:02
Managed to get to World Woods early yesterday and played both courses. Well worth the 1hr 45min drive.

Joined up with two Americans in the morning and played Pine Barrens which was excellent. Reminded me of Southern Dunes but with no homes and in better condition. This is probably due to the fact hardly anyone ever plays there.

After a nice lunch in the modest clubhouse one of my playing partners stayed with me to play Rolling Oaks. Longer than Pine Barrens and a fantastic course in its own right. Shot a 74 off the black tees (6817 yds) so obviously I was going to enjoy it.

Still quite an expensive time of year but you play the first course for $69 and then get a replay to play the second course and costs $39. I believe in the summer months it is a fair bit cheaper but if this venue were in England you would be paying upward of $150 per round.

An early start (up at 5.30am) but all in all a great day. Fantastic weather, good company, and two of the best golf courses you are likely to play in your lifetime. Shame it isn't closer to Orlando but if it were it would be double the rates and packed.

It is well and truly added to our November list.

Mark and I aside, I bet not many Brits have been and played there. 36 strong holes with some of them leaving you breathless on the tee!Glad you enjoyed it Anthony. I payed $39 and $29 last May for World Woods. Unfortunately, I can't play there this trip as my itinerary reads..

26th Drive to World Golf Hall of Fame
27th Play one of the courses
28th Play the other
29th Play Sherman Hills, Brooksville
30th Play The Quarry, brooksville
1st Play Brooksville Golf Club
2nd Maybe rest day or Southern Dunes
3rd Play Reunion
4th Birthday and golf somewhere....you get the drift for the rest of the trip although I'm looking at Celebration, Championsgate and Diamondback for definate.

Forgot to say, at World Woods, the course with the elevated greens was one of the best I've played anywhere. I agree the cost would be $150 over here but without the weather !!!

Anthony Brook
23-04-2013, 14:46
Wow thats a full schedule Mark.

Is it an absolute must that you have to stay at Reunion when playing there? I ask because I think World Woods is off the list. I'm gutted but they Rolling Oaks course is closed for over seeding. I think it may be a bit too far away to play just 18 holes. Looking for another highly rated course and Reunion does look the part.

Anthony Brook
05-08-2013, 20:12
Only 12 weeks to our golf trip and the courses I thought we had settled on has been affected badly due to over seeding. Both Disney Palm & Magnolia are closed, Celebration is cart path only (done that in Spain & Portugal and not good).

Have asked Tee Times USA for quotes as you can't get rates this far ahead and they have come up with the following including tax;

Southern Dunes $83.46 - Last time I played this in November it was $40 + tax
Diamondback $39.00 - The one is in to keep the price down. I quite like it but for a one off trip not sure it is in the same league as the others
Harmony $48.75 - I played this and was a bit uninspired. Maybe I need to play it again to appreciate it?
World Woods (Pine Barrens twice) $69.00 - Apparently offering a free replay so a no brainer to play 36, just wish Rolling Oaks was open.
Falcons Fire $76.51 - Have seen it but never played it. Looks typically American with no trees and plenty of water? Is it worth the money?
Reunion (Watson) $121.98 - These Reunion courses don't rank particularly well in Florida best and so not sure we can justify the cost.
Disney Buena Vista $73.79 - Think we will give this a miss as it would be our third choice Disney course.
Grand Cypress (North, South, East) $84.50 - Like the look of this and so may be in there ahead of Reunion.

Do you think if I wait closer to the time and book myself individually I will get cheaper rates? We are definitely playing Southern Dunes and World Woods and looking to pay around $350 for these two and three others which leaves us around $200 for three rounds. Any suggestions?

LFCGeorge
06-08-2013, 08:48
I played at Kissimmee Golf Club and Royal St. Cloud during the past two weeks, these are both good courses and you can get 18 holes/rental clubs for 40-50 dollars. They have Nike/Taylormade or Adams Golf clubs.

Well worth the money, I ended up playing both courses twice.

I've played Southern Dunes before but I can't justify the price they charge compared to St. Cloud or KGC.

gpullan
06-08-2013, 11:25
Celebration Cart path only?! Is that now or proposed for in 12 weeks??

We go in around 12 weeks and i had planned to take a first timer to Celebration one morning but not if it's cart path only! The first time i played Celebration around 5 years ago, that was in October too and they had just hollow tined the entire club house side of the course and sanded the greens. I wasn't happy, especially having paid $109!

Might have to think again.

Anthony Brook
06-08-2013, 21:40
Hi Garry, All they said was cart path only when we are there due to recent over seeding. We are there Nov7th-14th and looks like it is for the full duration of our trip.

I played Southern Dunes a few weeks ago and worked out at £25 which for a course of that stature and including carts is giving it away. They really jack the price up from the end of October though (don't they all). It was either go earlier and pay more for flights or in November and pay the extra on the golf. Swings and roundabouts.

I am just about settled on Southern Dunes, Harmony, World Woods, Grand Cypress & Falcons Fire unless any of you have any other thoughts.

Tee Times USA sent me a brochure today and then I started looking at Crooked Cat/Panther Lakes instead of Falcons Fire?

gpullan
07-08-2013, 07:44
Royal St Cloud?
Legends?

I'm going to give Celebration a miss if that's the case as i'd like my friend to have a better experience than that. Diamond Back or Royal St Cloud could be the ones for us.

Anthony Brook
09-08-2013, 19:59
Never played Royal St.Cloud as I really don't see the point of playing a links style course in Florida. They just don't get it right and can't emulate a true links course as they don't have the grass types. Played the International at Championsgate but wasn't as good as I was expecting. I will play Florida style courses when over there and if I want a true links I will visit one of our own very good ones.

Legends is ok. Some nice scenery and a good stretch of holes on the back 9. Get your mate to World Woods and make a day of it.

alex
10-08-2013, 17:26
Play grand pines and book through golfnow

MarkJan
19-08-2013, 16:58
Play grand pines and book through golfnowAnthony, Grande Pines is a great course, played it in May. I'd also agree with booking through Golfnow.com and don't book until the day before you want to play for the best rates.

Grand Cypress is another good course and don't discount Royal St Cloud as it is the American version of links golf !!

If you're looking for another good course near World Woods (still up there as one of my favourites), visit Brooksville Golf Club. Unfortunately, Brooksville was closed in May due to laying new greens but I have a friend who lives near Brooksville and it's his favourite course.

MarkJan
19-08-2013, 17:01
I am just about settled on Southern Dunes, Harmony, World Woods, Grand Cypress & Falcons Fire unless any of you have any other thoughts.

Tee Times USA sent me a brochure today and then I started looking at Crooked Cat/Panther Lakes instead of Falcons Fire?If you haven't played OCN Crooked Cat or Panther Lakes, definitely play them before playing Falcons. I presume you've already played Falcons?

Harmony, what a course. I'd live there if I could.

Anthony Brook
19-08-2013, 20:41
No not played Falcons Fire Mark, it was just recommended by Tee Times USA. I have to admit not that bothered for it and haven't spoken to anyone who says it is a must play. Coming out at the most expensive round of the trip. Grande Pines is another Steve Smyers course isn't it?

I don't think I will use Tee Times USA for the trip as they are quoting $83.46 for Southern Dunes and I know we can play at 1pm for $49 plus tax. Also saying Harmony is $48.75 and I have looked on their website and it is $41.71. How do you go about booking with Golf Now? Do you need to register with them?

Spuddybaby
23-08-2013, 11:35
What about Eagle Creek out near Orlando airport. I played that a few years ago and thought it was a good course?

Bit of Wind to contend with and some of the holes are beautiful. 18th par 5 with the second shot being a full carry over a pond to the green is a great hole.

MarkJan
26-08-2013, 08:31
Register with Golfnow.com with a US zip,if possible and that way, you can get the Florida resident rates too.

Anthony Brook
15-09-2013, 22:45
Settled on the following

Harmony $31 + tax
Southern Dunes $49 + tax
World Woods $64 +tax with free afternoon replay
Grand Cypress ??
Panther Lake $65 + tax but can cancel if I find it cheaper.

Only one left to book is Grand Cypress as proving difficult 8 weeks out. can get it via Tee Times USA at $78 but hoping to get cheaper as the afternoons are $50 at the moment. Saved nearly $100 each by e-mailing clubs direct rather than going onto the booking tee times pages.

Very happy with my choices just hope the weather is nice and the courses are in good shape.

MarkJan
05-10-2013, 06:59
Anthony, wait until you arrive before booking Grand Cypress. I paid $49 including lunch and replay. We'll have to have a game when you're back. Oulton Hall? Gary Pullen too?

gpullan
07-10-2013, 07:23
Anthony, wait until you arrive before booking Grand Cypress. I paid $49 including lunch and replay. We'll have to have a game when you're back. Oulton Hall? Gary Pullen too?

Oulton Hall sounds good to me! My father in law is a member there so may well get some good rates!

Now you've mentioned Grand Cypress, which would you choose to take a first timer to? Celebration or Grand Cypress?? Not necessarily for the course but for the whole 'american' style and theme. I've played Celebration a few times and loved the winding through the houses and playing in their back yards.

MarkJan
10-10-2013, 21:37
Celebration isn't as packed in my experience.

Anthony Brook
28-10-2013, 19:06
I thought Celebration was great and a real shame we can't play on this trip. Hopefully Grand Cypress will match up. Mark with it being a one off golf trip and couldn't leave anything to chance so booked all the golf in advance. I tried Streamsong but they wanted $150 per round and that was the walking rate. Think we are playing Diamondback on our last day to make it 7 rounds.

Not bad though- Virgin Atlantic flights, 15 seater minibus, 7 bed villa (booked for 8 nights) and 7 rounds of golf for £791 each. Majorca was over £1000 for 6 nights and five rounds.

Oulton is not my favourite course but only 5 minutes from home so would be fine. I played there this summer in the Audi Golf Day and the weather was horrible.

MarkJan
28-10-2013, 19:24
Anthony, I've just booked for 28th Dec of 15 nights. At the moment I have arranged or planning games at:
Orange County National, 2 rounds for $69
Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes
Grande Cypress
North Shore
Bella Colina
Remington
Kissimmee Bay
World Woods, will book for $69 plus replay before 1/1/14
Harmony is down the road from where we're staying, rude not to play there!

If you're not a fan of Oulton, we can use my De Vere points at Mottram Hall.

LFCGeorge
29-10-2013, 09:08
Do you bring your own clubs over? Wondering how expensive it is, surely depending on how much you play while in Florida it could be the cheaper option

Anthony Brook
01-11-2013, 17:54
I have an identical set over there to the ones I use here. Flying Virgin on Thursday so free to take so I might just take a spare bag with my old driver, 3 wood. rescue and lob wedge. I think clubs are about $30 to rent so I would say if you were paying for clubs on the plane you would want to be playing at least 3 times to carry them over there.

Anthony Brook
01-11-2013, 17:57
Mark, never played Mottram Hall so that would be good.

A few e-mails received today, World Woods $44 with free hat! and also Metrowest re-opens November 14th having just had $1.5m spent on it including brand new greens

Anthony Brook
18-11-2013, 19:19
Well we are back from our week golfing and all the lads had a great time and were blown away with the standard of golf course Florida has to offer.

They thought it would be good but were surprised at the standard of layout and condition.

Some ranked World Woods as the best inland course they have ever played whilst others said Southern Dunes would have been even better had it been set in woodland. I have to say Southern Dunes has never looked better and even I was impressed by the condition. Grand Cypress was also brilliant with one of the best holes you could ever play on any golf course. Panther Lake gets better and better as you go round (much like the wind on the day we played) and Harmony is a strong course if not a little too far.

We were down to play Diamondback on the last day but all the lads wanted to play Southern Dunes again as they absolutely loved it. These are guys who have played every course on The Open rota so their opinions are not to be taken lightly. Southern Dunes has slipped down the rankings a little in recent years but I believe if they keep the course like this it will be back near the top in the next few years.

Macka
19-11-2013, 08:54
I playedf Orange County National a gfew years ago, they have a few courses, I think 3? It was the best course I've played (I'm a poor player). I had to join a 3 ball of americans, their standarad of golf was awesome, and proved to be probably the most embarrassing round I've ever played. The course was fantastic.

Macka
19-11-2013, 09:01
Unlike my Typing.....

Anthony Brook
20-11-2013, 19:10
I think what is so good about Florida is we could go again next year and play another 5/6 courses all of equal quality. There is the New Course at Grand Cypress which looks wonderful, Celebration which is great and Disney courses to name a few.

All in our trip was £771 and for the same trip to Majorca well in excess of £1000 for lesser courses, no frills flights and rubbish accommodation

cash
21-11-2013, 12:45
Hi Anthony,

im looking to sort something out for next May for 6 of us but at the moment flights are coming up at over £650 so was wondering how you managed to get to £771 which I assume included flights, accomodation, golf , spending money and car hire.

MarkJan
30-11-2013, 07:54
Sounds great Anthony, can't fault World Woods. I think the comment about Southern Dunes in woodland is a valid one.

I also use Groupgolfer.com to book my tee times and have booked unlimited golf at Bella Collina for $49 plus tax. As there's a spa there, sounds like Jan's sorted and I can play 36 there.
I played the first 9 holes on the Grand Cypress New Course and apart from taking 3 hours, it wasn't as good as the rest of the facility.

4 weeks today and we're off, can't wait.

Anthony Brook
03-12-2013, 19:13
The break down was Virgin Flights £437.50, 7 bed villa on Southern Dunes £91.43 inc. pool heat for 8 nights (I know, crazy), 15 seater minibus £45.86 and golf was £196.80 for 6 rounds as mentioned. I just waited and waited checking daily for flights until I got a good rate. Didn't include spending money as I would have thought we all spent different amounts but to be honest £25 a day for food and your covered unless a visit to the Outlets tickles your fancy.

Hi Anthony,

im looking to sort something out for next May for 6 of us but at the moment flights are coming up at over £650 so was wondering how you managed to get to £771 which I assume included flights, accomodation, golf , spending money and car hire.

MarkJan
08-12-2013, 20:50
Anthony & Gary, DM me if you want a game on the 21st Dec at Mottram Hall.

Soulgolf
29-06-2017, 19:09
Looking to play golf on our next trip this September, we are staying at Lake Davenport, any recommendations for a good golf course in that area?

bmitch
30-06-2017, 06:59
Lots to choose from around your area - am thinking you are on 27 so probably Highlands Reserve closest - I like Celebration or if you can push the boat out the 2 Disney courses are PGA ones. Providence ok as well and there is 3 championship golf courses at Championsgate which has sat nav on caddie carts

DisneyFunVilla
30-06-2017, 13:02
Check out the new course, ChampionsGate Country Club, http://www.championsgatecountryclub.com. It's in fantastic shape and is a great course. It's in the ChampionsGate community right next to the Omni.