PDA

View Full Version : homeowners insurance

janice
03-01-2004, 04:04
Hi,

I am new to the forum and would be very grateful for some help. I need to organise my homeowners insurance for MY NEW VILLA IN CALABAY PARC![msnsmile2] I have only received one quote at 1708.00 dollars which I thought was a little steep! Could anyone recommend an insurance company I could go with? Also I intend to close on my villa by mail, has anyone else done this and did you have any problems or delays? I am a complete novice so any info or help will be gladly received. Thanks in anticipation folks[msnwink].

Jan

Ruth
03-01-2004, 05:19
Hi Janice, welcome to the OV forum. Most owners are insured with American Strategic (ASI) and you should get it much cheaper than this:) I recommend Susan Cook at Sihle, I don't have her email handy as I am away in Florida but I am sure someone will post it.

We closed by mail away and it was no problem at all. We just had to take a trip to the American Embassy to get our documents notorised and then we used Fed Ex to get them back to the US :)

blott
03-01-2004, 05:47
Hi Jan

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new home!

Try this thread for house insurance http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6985 which might help you.

janice
11-01-2004, 15:58
Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your advice on insurance, I rang them and they are sending me a quote. (Susan Cook no longer with sihle) I have my walk-thru scheduled for 22nd Jan and closing on 26th, it doesn't seem like an awful long time to get any snags done, but they assure me it is!! Just looking forward to staying at the villa for a couple of weeks[8D].

caroline
11-01-2004, 16:05
Hi Janice

Congratulations on your new home, an excellent choice! (we also own at Calabay;))

Our snag list was virtually non-existant when we closed, and we couldn't be more thrilled with our villa there, so I'm sure it will be fine. They really are excellent builders.

steph_goodrum
11-01-2004, 16:39
"We just had to take a trip to the American Embassy to get our documents notorised and then we used Fed Ex to get them back to the US"

We closed by mail from UK but used a local Notary to notarise our documents, we didn't have to go to the Embassy. If you look in your local yellow pages at the solicitors, those that have a Hotary Public usually say so in their ad. It's worth ringing round to find how much it will cost and to check they will be able to do them when your documents come through. Obviously you can't make an appointment till you've got the papers.

Andy & Arlene
11-01-2004, 21:18
We also closed by mail and used our solicitor to notarise our documents. Didn't charge us anything. Probably because we had been dealing with him on different matters at the same time and he'd already charged us enough.

janice
22-01-2004, 15:32
I have used American Strategic thru Sihle Ins Group (Cindy Lee) who was excellent and has been a great help, I would highly recommend her. I am glad you had very little on your snag list Caroline, it is very reassuring. I love my home also and think I have made a good choice. We have a local Notary in our town Steph, which is handy, but haven't as yet received any documents[msnsad] so can't make an appointment, time is getting short. [msnoo] Only 11 days until we go over though so I hope it's ready. Thanks for the replies. Jan.

jeffc
23-01-2004, 05:34
on the question over notary solicitor these cost a fortune in the uk i paid 75 pound for 15 mins work when i closed on my house...

in the york area there were only 3 of these people a normal solicitor is not a notary.. be careful..

best of luck with new house calabay nice..