PDA

View Full Version : BA CLUB WORLD

bargainqueen
02-11-2009, 15:39
I've been looking at flights for next April.

After a really uncomfortable flight a couple of trips ago in Virgin Premium Economy we have upgraded to travel First or Upper Class I think they call it.

The prices currently are quite high so have been looking at BA website. Currently the website has availability at a reasonable price but I'm unclear as to what seats you actually get on the MCO flight.

Can anyone tell me how they compare to Virgin. It's been a long time since we've travelled with BA, I think the seats are in a row across the middle so I imagine you are quite close to the other passengers. I'm looking for something which you can easily get out of without having to limbo out of because the seat in front is in the reclining position (as you do in Premium Economy).

Susan J
02-11-2009, 16:12
Can't beat Virgin First class for me, but I can understand you looking at BA -there is a site,I think its called [name edited], [can't put the actual link as it will be blanked- but you can see what to do] that gives the layout and good and bad seats to book.

Lynnes
02-11-2009, 16:21
There is plenty of room in Club World on BA. The seats extend into a bed and no one reclines on you. Some of the seats face backwards though

zanderbuchan
02-11-2009, 16:32
Seats are in 2 cabins, 4 rows in front cabin, 3 in rear I think. Configuration is 2 4 2 with adjacent 2's at sides front and rear facing. In the centre seats of 4, the aisle seats are forward facing, with both the centre ones rear facings.
The seats go fully flat and are pretty comfy, they are well spaced out so definitely no need to limbo. They also have footstools and I have noticed is that if you are in certain seats you do have to step over footstool of anyone who has put it up.
The aircraft on the orlando/tampa runs were all upgraded last year so interiors are pretty smart.

Katys Grandad
02-11-2009, 18:07
No airline offers First Class to Orlando - despite what Virgin might want people to think. BA have First Class on the Miami route and it blows anything Virgin have out of the water but, of course, it's much more money.

BA operate a 777 to Orlando with a 2-4-2 configuration in Club and there's no Upper Deck. It's quite unusual because the window seats all face backwards with the adjacent aisle seats facing forward. In the centre section the aisle seats face forward with the 2 middles facing back.

If the prices for Virgin's Upper Class and BA Club are the same, I'd go for Virgin although there's not much in it. If I was on a BA 747 I'd take Club in the Upper Deck but, again, they only fly the Miami route.

Note that BA's new seating selection policy means that even though you might be paying well over £1,000 for your ticket, you won't be able to select your seats at booking unless you're prepared to part with an additional £120 each for the return trip.[msnmad]

FraserLynn
02-11-2009, 19:00
Virgin UC over BA club world for me, if you are in a middle seat in Club, it is still a struggle to get out of the seat whereas the virgin layout means that every seat is an aisle seat and you get the in flight bar which makes a nice change from sitting in the seat for the whole flight.

The only problem though is that neither of these companies offer the full experience from Gatwick, you have to choose a Heathrow route if you want up to date seats, better lounges etc.

bargainqueen
02-11-2009, 19:36
Thanks for all the replies, we have flown Virgin UC for the last 3 trips. If it was only a small difference in ticket prices then we would definately book Virgin again but it is a big difference.

Will have to see what the others think about the change of carriers.

I did look at flying First with BA, £7K each ticket...Have to check my lottery tickets...LOL

I did read about the charge for booking a seat and also the baggage charges. We'll be ok going out as our cases will be fairly empty but on the return journey we will have to pay for OH golf clubs. Be interesting to see how easy it is to do this. I use EasyJet frequently and with them you have to pay for your luggage both ways unless you do two separate bookings for outward and inward journey.

Katys Grandad
02-11-2009, 19:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bargainqueen
Thanks for all the replies, we have flown Virgin UC for the last 3 trips. If it was only a small difference in ticket prices then we would definately book Virgin again but it is a big difference.

I did look at flying First with BA, £7K each ticket...Have to check my lottery tickets...LOL

[/quote]

If you're not already a member, join the Executive Club (free), buy the Club ticket and next time upgrade it to First with the miles from the original trip.

zanderbuchan
02-11-2009, 19:52
I have not flown Virgin UC, so can't give you a direct comparison, but for what it's worth..............
I do travel a lot on business and in the last last 6 months have flown, BA, KLM, Air France, Delta, United and Singapore, in my opinion and experience, the only one that beats BA is Singapore.

bargainqueen
02-11-2009, 20:16
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:If you're not already a member, join the Executive Club (free), buy the Club ticket and next time upgrade it to First with the miles from the original trip.[/quote]

If we decide to book then I will join.

ShirleyD
02-11-2009, 20:56
As Zander says the BA Gatwick aircraft now have the new style seats with the bigger tvs that you can pause. I love the two centre rear facing seats as it is like having your own little 2 person room when you put the screens up and I do tend to sleep at least half the way!

Also Zena, you get three bags each in club class, so unless you are a really heavy shopper, you could use part of your allowance for the golf clubs

I was told the only reason the aisle seats face forward is because it was decided passengers may not like being able to see all the way down the aircraft on take off.

fiona
02-11-2009, 23:03
We always fly BA and do use our points to upgrade to business, and buy when they have special offers on (like now!)

We switched from Virgin some years ago after rude and unhelpful service, we have found the BA crew are in a different league, and if there are any problems they have always been swiftly resolved.

The new entertainment system is fantastic and gives you far more options, and the beds mean you at least have a chance of a reasonable amount of sleep.

kitch50
03-11-2009, 01:17
Hi
Never flown, Premium, Business or Upper classes just plain old cattle class. It sounds lovely though. Aahh ....maybe.... one day....

bargainqueen
03-11-2009, 05:43
Well we have booked, the price for club was only £50 more than premium. Made OH check that I'd filled in the prompts correctly as I couldn't believe the price we were being quoted. We've even saved a further £150 each by flying back on the Sunday instead of Saturday.

My name will be mud if we're delayed and OH has to go into work on the Monday evening. I did point out that he could sleep on the plane and I'll drive home from Gatwick. In theory he should get an extra days leave because we're away for the first bank holiday in May but it doesn't always work that way.

I'll have to check the website again as I thought that Club was only entitled to two bags each. I do like to shop but even I stop at 5 bags a trip. I normally have one bag that's over 23kgs though so I'll have to be careful and spread the load around.

OH found pictures of the two seats together and the new entertainment system. He's now counting down the weekends until we fly out.

Katys Grandad
03-11-2009, 10:37
Nice one! Don't forget to get there early for the bacon rolls in the Club Lounge.[msnsmile]

ShirleyD
03-11-2009, 13:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:

I normally have one bag that's over 23kgs though so I'll have to be careful and spread the load around.

[/quote]

The following customers are entitled to a 32kgs baggage allowance per bag at no additional charge:

* Customers travelling to and from Brazil.
* Gold and Silver Executive Club members.
* First, Club World and Club Europe customers on all routes.

Shop till you drop!!!!

gpullan
03-11-2009, 13:49
BA Club world was fantastic! We flew Manchester to JFK in Club and if i could stretch to it everytime then i certainly would. 6 hours flight was a breeze and the fillet steak was.....well it wasn't airline food!!

We were sat in 8H, 8J which is the back 2 corner seats in Club on a 777. Loads of room to get in and out and very private in the corner window seat (facing backwards).

Katys Grandad
03-11-2009, 14:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan
BA Club world was fantastic! We flew Manchester to JFK in Club and if i could stretch to it everytime then i certainly would. 6 hours flight was a breeze and the fillet steak was.....well it wasn't airline food!!

We were sat in 8H, 8J which is the back 2 corner seats in Club on a 777. Loads of room to get in and out and very private in the corner window seat (facing backwards).
[/quote]

When was that Garry? As far as I recall, MAN-JFK was never operated by a 777 and I've never been on a BA 777 where row 8 was the last row in Club.

I think you may have been on a 767 (the route is now discontinued) which never had the New Generation Club World seats that are fitted to the rest of the BA fleet. Nice enough but I always felt it was the poor relation of the fleet.

Having said that, I'd like to have the route back.

FraserLynn
03-11-2009, 14:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

[/quote]

When was that Garry? As far as I recall, MAN-JFK was never operated by a 777 and I've never been on a BA 777 where row 8 was the last row in Club.

I think you may have been on a 767 (the route is now discontinued) which never had the New Generation Club World seats that are fitted to the rest of the BA fleet. Nice enough but I always felt it was the poor relation of the fleet.

[/quote]

Have they fitted the new seats on the Gatwick to Orlando route now?

bargainqueen
03-11-2009, 15:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Don't forget to get there early for the bacon rolls in the Club Lounge[/quote]
We normally aim to arrive at 6.30am to allow for any problems on the way. A couple of years ago someone drove into the back of our car on the way into Gatwick South. After sorting out the paperwork we were still checking in just after 7am.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:32kgs baggage First, Club World and Club Europe customers on all routes......Shop till you drop!!!![/quote]
Oh dear OH won't be pleased to hear that news, he was hoping that the new baggage restrictions would calm me down....[msnwink]
Although I'm not the only one, only thing is he leaves his shopping to the last couple of days and I have to go out and buy a bigger holdall as I can't fit everything in.
Also it's not getting it on the plane that's the problem, it's whether we can get it home in the car.
In March we had 7 bags and a set of golf clubs, three people flying, they doubted that it would all go in in the car but the ace packer here worked her magic as per normal.
As the Aussies said in the advert, I think we over did it with the golf clubs[msnwink]

zanderbuchan
03-11-2009, 16:35
Another tip to get cheaper BA tickets, is to own 200 or more BA shares on a set date in early November. You are then eligible for a 10% discount for you and up to 4 or 6 travelling companions, for as many tickets as you buy for the whole of the following year.
With share price as low as it is now it'll cost about GBP370.
You are still able to book online at a special share holders website. This years date is 6th.

gpullan
04-11-2009, 19:10
I will bow to your better knowledge. It was a big white plane with BA all over it, thought it said 777 on the side but guess what...... i was flying Club world to New York so i didn't care what it said on the side [msnsmile]

Seats or should i say beds were fantastic even if it was the poor relation. [msnwink]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Katys Grandad
04-11-2009, 21:18
I will bow to your better knowledge. It was a big white plane with BA all over it, thought it said 777 on the side but guess what...... i was flying Club world to New York so i didn't care what it said on the side [msnsmile]

Seats or should i say beds were fantastic even if it was the poor relation. [msnwink]

[/quote]

Whatever it was [msnwink], I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Suzzee
11-11-2009, 17:43
Nice one! Don't forget to get there early for the bacon rolls in the Club Lounge.[msnsmile]
[/quote]

I have just booked Club World for the 1st time as a treat for my hubby's 50th. We usually try and go PE with Virgin but the last return flight was awful - noisy cabin crew and customers - didn't sleep at all.

I noticed that Katys Grandad mentions bacon sarnies. We always stay the night before and pay to have breakfast in the hotel -

Is it worth waiting to see what they have to eat in the club lounge?
Also being the 1st time what can I expect in this club lounge. The BA website makes it look lovely but I don't want to look like a fish out of water[:I]

Sue

Katys Grandad
11-11-2009, 21:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Suzzee
[/quote]

I have just booked Club World for the 1st time as a treat for my hubby's 50th. We usually try and go PE with Virgin but the last return flight was awful - noisy cabin crew and customers - didn't sleep at all.

I noticed that Katys Grandad mentions bacon sarnies. We always stay the night before and pay to have breakfast in the hotel -

Is it worth waiting to see what they have to eat in the club lounge?
Also being the 1st time what can I expect in this club lounge. The BA website makes it look lovely but I don't want to look like a fish out of water[:I]

Sue
[/quote]

I have a confession to make here Sue - I've just remembered that when I've had bacon rolls at Gatwick it has been in the First Class lounge. They don't do them in the Club Lounge but you'll find free drinks (including alcoholic), and in the morning there'll be cereals, yoghurt, toast, pastries and fruit. It's all fine because it's free but I wouldn't go without your hotel breakfast for it.

The surest way to look like a fish out of water is to behave like a child in a sweet shop with all the free booze before a morning flight. On the other hand, you've paid for your ticket so why shouldn't you do as you please? A glass or two of champagne is very nice (you have to ask, but they'll bring it to you).

You can be certain that whatever you do, it'll be better than sitting with the great unwashed in the main terminal.[msnwink]

Frosty
11-11-2009, 23:17
I've just booked to go over the new year period.

Wanted to experiance Club world at least once so decided if i accepted economy out i could justify club world on the return.

Now i can't wait to go just so that i can get back in the big seat/bed.

It will kill me going out, but thats the sacrifice i have to make :)

What can i expect in the lounge at Orlando?

Katys Grandad
11-11-2009, 23:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty

What can i expect in the lounge at Orlando?
[/quote]

No BA lounge in Orlando I'm afraid.

You can use the shared facility (I think it's called the "Sky Club'). I've never been in it so maybe others can comment. My experience of US airport lounges is that they are very rarely up to other international standards. Orlando is particularly poorly served probably because it's mainly a leisure travelers' airport.

zanderbuchan
12-11-2009, 00:29
BA have agreement to use Delta Crown Lounge at MCO. It is okay but not nearly as good as the normal BA lounges. They normally issue with an invitation card to present to desk in lounge at check in.
Drinks are served by attendant at bar, very little in way of food though, some nuts and Bombay mix on the bar, but it is usually quiet and relaxing.

Katys Grandad
12-11-2009, 00:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by zanderbuchan
BA have agreement to use Delta Crown Lounge at MCO. It is okay but not nearly as good as the normal BA lounges. They normally issue with an invitation card to present to desk in lounge at check in.
Drinks are served by attendant at bar, very little in way of food though, some nuts and Bombay mix on the bar, but it is usually quiet and relaxing.

[/quote]

There's no Delta Crown Room Lounge at MCO now - it closed in it's then form a few months ago. I believe part of the same room is now used as the shared facility I referred to above. Obviously, it's somewhat smaller.[msnsad]

zanderbuchan
12-11-2009, 01:58
Thanks for update KG, I had last been in it in May/June and thought it was looking a bit tired.
I was not aware of shared facility???? Is it shared with Virgin???

Katys Grandad
12-11-2009, 06:44
I'm not at all familiar with it Zander but I've read that the former Crown Room closed in June and was renamed Sky Club accommodating Delta, BA & Virgin passengers (there may be others I'm not aware of). As I commented above, for an airport and city of its size, MCO has very limited lounge options.

bargainqueen
12-11-2009, 17:21
Virgin also used Delta Crown for their Gold and Upper Class passengers. When we we came home in March part of the lounge was closed for refurbishment? so it was difficult to find seats for the 4 of us to sit together. It doesn't compare favourably with the outbound lounges but compared with the rest of the airport it is an oasis.

jolliffee
13-11-2009, 16:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by zanderbuchan

[/quote]

There's no Delta Crown Room Lounge at MCO now - it closed in it's then form a few months ago. I believe part of the same room is now used as the shared facility I referred to above. Obviously, it's somewhat smaller.[msnsad]
[/quote]

Maybe re-opened? We used the MCO Delta Crown Lounge this October, they tell you when to board the BA flight and sometimes come and escort you. Facilities as above bar service and just some light bar snacks; a big area we found plenty of space for 5 of us.[msncool]

Katys Grandad
13-11-2009, 18:39
It looks like it's all about Delta's decision on the name. Now they've merged with Northwest they're renovating the existing Crown Rooms and re-branding them 'Sky Clubs'. So what was the Crown Room is still in the same place but is no longer properly known by that title after the renovations.

Whatever it's called, the arrangements with BA & Virgin remain.

bargainqueen
23-04-2010, 18:43
I'm flying tomorrow so today I tried to update my booking with our API. I was unable to do it earlier as I had to renew my passport.

Despite them sending me an email today as a reminder, I couldn't do anything for my outward journey. They seemed to be pushing me towards cancelling my flight but the inward journey was confirmed, I could book my seats on that flight for a £60 fee (funny that)

On my third attempt I managed to get into on-line checkin, we'd been allocated 3 seats in the centre of row2. I've changed them to row3 next to the galley, I'd rather the noise of the kitchen rather than the smell of the toilets. On reading the BA forum sometimes they change the planes and another row appears. As long as we get on the flight I'll be pleased.

Maybe I was a couple of minutes too early in my first attempts but I didn't find the site I was led into via the email very user friendly.

ShirleyD
23-04-2010, 22:38
I'm not sure why you had problems Zena, in my experience BA online checkin is easy, but you do sometimes have to wait a minute or two after the 24 hour limit. I travelled out in row one and pleased to report, no toilet smells and I have never experienced them in club. The loos are all right by the galleys, so I guess the crew would notice very quickly.
Have a great flight, the weather is beautiful here :D

bargainqueen
24-04-2010, 00:03
That may be the explanation as it was close to 11.20. My B&gt;I&gt;L flew back from Los Angeles in seat 1 and he told us about the smell, perhaps his crew weren't so vigilant.

:D

Glad to hear weather is good, Shirley.

Katys Grandad
24-04-2010, 00:57
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bargainqueen
That may be the explanation as it was close to 11.20. My B&gt;I&gt;L flew back from Los Angeles in seat 1 and he told us about the smell, perhaps his crew weren't so vigilant.

:D[/quote]BA only operate 4 class 747's on the LAX-LHR route. Row 1 will be in First Class and nowhere near the toilets so it must have been bad.[msnsad]

I'm sure you won't have any problems like that!

bargainqueen
26-04-2010, 06:18
Whoops he was in Club class and he advised us not to sit in the row next to toilets, he was returning to UK so perhaps the "overnight" cares aren't so vigilant.

Seat and flight was brilliant. Crew very attentive and I was able to talk to my sister as we were sitting face to face. Not sure that sitting next to husband was a good idea though. On inward journey I think I'll sit him in a different row....lol

ShirleyD
26-04-2010, 07:04
I'm glad you had a good flight, I hope you had time to settle in before he storm arrived

bargainqueen
27-04-2010, 15:56
What a night!!!! Didn't get a lot of sleep that night but thankfully I'd had a siesta in the afternoon.