PDA

View Full Version : Google street view is available for US / IOA & CW

DLB-GOUROCK
20-10-2009, 17:09
Just noticed that if you use google maps and zoom into on of the above locations then switch to street view you can do a walk through as though you are really there.

It includes Rip Ride Rocket (but not open) so it must be quite recent.

Also the auto face blurring is not 100% so you just might see yourself !!!

steph_goodrum
20-10-2009, 17:33
I must admit, perhaps I' a bit paranoid but I won't use and support what I see to be a gross invasion of privacy. Big brother may have come a bit late but I for one don't want to be on camera 24/7 wherever I go. not that I have anything to hide but just don't feel the need for it.

Katys Grandad
20-10-2009, 18:31
Am I right in thinking that it isn't a 'live' shot? I have seen them and while they're interesting I don't find them to have much practical use for finding somewhere.

I also believe that you can ask for your image to be removed from the picture (on the remote chance you're in it) can't you?

florida4sun
20-10-2009, 18:47
How is it an invasion of privacy? If it were live, fair enough. I use a lot when programming sat navs for address we cannot find.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
I must admit, perhaps I' a bit paranoid but I won't use and support what I see to be a gross invasion of privacy. Big brother may have come a bit late but I for one don't want to be on camera 24/7 wherever I go. not that I have anything to hide but just don't feel the need for it.
[/quote]

DLB-GOUROCK
20-10-2009, 19:16
Oh dear, I did not want to open this can of worms!
Only point out that you can perhaps re-live your visit and maybe get a wee bit excited about it all.

It's better than looking through brochures from the travel agents. (your image just might be in there too, enjoying yourself)

Sorry.

florida4sun
20-10-2009, 19:22
Its no can of worms, just interested in the answer. I was having this discussion with my mother in law who thought it was awful. Speaking to her she was under the impression folks could zoom in live on her house!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DLB-GOUROCK
Oh dear, I did not want to open this can of worms!
Only point out that you can perhaps re-live your visit and maybe get a wee bit excited about it all.

It's better than looking through brochures from the travel agents. (your image just might be in there too, enjoying yourself)

Sorry.
[/quote]

DLB-GOUROCK
20-10-2009, 19:35
No it's not live. It's a snapshot which ages with time.
In Universal Studios you can see the hoarding is still up around Rip Ride Rocket so the pass was earlier in the year some months ago.
As Katys Grandad says you can request to have an image removed if you are so concerned about personal security.

I think that the horse has bolted about been seen on camera especially in city centres and the numerous web cams around the world.

If we behave ourselves then they are to our advantage and protection. How many times have you seen at a store entrance "CCTV is used in this store to protect our staff and customers".

Anyway I was really pushing the enjoyment factor about seeing inside the parks and rekindling memories.

steph_goodrum
20-10-2009, 21:12
They are "live" at some stage and if you happen to be in that place at that time will get captured. I'm pretty sure it isn't worth going through all the shots to find out but I jsut feel there's enogh ways to find out info about places without webcams everywhere. Half of the fun of holidays is exploring.

I tend to use my pics and videos to recapture themagic or just go on the websites themselves for updates.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-10-2009, 21:30
Absolutely. I've just had a quick play with it and really enjoyed 'walking' around the parks concerned as we've not been to them for a while [msnsmile].

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DLB-GOUROCK
Anyway I was really pushing the enjoyment factor about seeing inside the parks and rekindling memories.
.[/quote]

caroline
20-10-2009, 21:34
I love the feature where you can 'walk' at street level and see things - it can be a terrible time stealer though as it's so addictive [msnwink]

ShirleyD
21-10-2009, 02:57
I love them, my son has just spent 7 weeks in Australia and it was brilliant to 'walk' the streets he had seen when he sent us details of where he had been. Would love to be in some, did follow a car with the fourway camera on it's roof, but hasn't been added yet

ujpest doza
23-02-2010, 19:45
Looks like they allowed the google earth camera in before the park opened. Only people in the park are employees and everything is shut. You can tell it is before it opens rather than after it has shut due to the direction of the sun rising in the east.

Don't have a problem with google streetview personally and use it a lot, find it very useful in getting your bearings before travelling somewhere, much better than just looking at a map.

blott
24-02-2010, 04:02
My UK house is five houses away from its actual position on Google maps so don't get carried away thinking it's all as it should be everywhere!

It's probably a lot more accurate on large places like the theme parks.

MarkJan
24-02-2010, 11:24
I've just had "a walk" around Universals City Walk wishing I was there!

thistle1314
24-02-2010, 16:10
Looking out of my window at home I can see the snow getting heavier, the wind blowing a hoolie and I'm stuck indoors as I cant get my car out of the garage. I look in here and what a delight to have a stroll around Universal. Now that really cheered me right up.

Thanks for posting David.

[msnsmile2]

lynnroy
24-02-2010, 16:16
I think its fab too- I had put a post on about it the other day- cos we looked at the villa we are going to be staying in and its was great to see the streets round about and get an idea of where we are going and generally getting our bearings.

Ian Mcc
01-07-2010, 21:06
I think its fab,agree with several points like stealing time but it does give a fix of Florida like nothing else,have used it quite a lot recently in advance of my visit in Oct, will narrow down my chances of getting lost having already driven up and down the streets with street view, great also to drive the route from the airport to the villa and explore the area around where we will be staying

Lyn
01-07-2010, 23:30
Took a wrong turning a couple of years ago (well actually didn't turn) the sat nav took us a very strange route, so last year checked the view on google to give me places to look out for just before the turning, it worked a treat[msnsmile2] I love it. I have also been able to locate villas from a photo of the front and a rough address, a bit time consuming but I love it.