PDA

View Full Version : Very fast flight!!!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-01-2004, 02:12
My sister and family travelled with Virgin from Orlando to Manchester last night. The flight took just 6 hours 50ish minutes and the pilot announced upon landing at Manchester that they had just broken a record for the fastest crossing by 747 (MCO - MAN) [msnsmile].

blott
01-01-2004, 02:45
Crumbs, that's what I'd a call a tail wind and a half! [8D]

Ruth
01-01-2004, 03:22
WOW, I hope we get a flight home like that. If you HAVE to go home then you may as well do it quickly;)

Daniel Ramsey
01-01-2004, 05:49
I wonder if thats about as fast as Air Force One flew with Bush on board when he dropped into Iraq during Christmas, I vaguely remember somebody posting that it was pushing mach .85 or maybe even .9 but it was interesting though that THAT 747 must have modified engines. I'm heading to Orlando from Anchorage(course John knows this:D) and my total time is about 12 hours with a 2 1/2 hour layover in Seattle, however all this is in a 737-400 and another I think is a 737-900(?) not exactly large aircraft. I've never been on a 747, thank god!!! I get minor anxiety around crowds of people.

BTW, have a safe trip home John, I'll take care of the home, promise:)

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-01-2004, 10:44
Hi Daniel

Should have the house all set up for your arrival - the games room will be finished in time and I'm on to Sprint to get the ADSL installed.

Have a great flight down to Orlando and hope you enjoy the house as much as we do [msnsmile2]

lgordon6041
02-01-2004, 02:58
Thats the great thing about winter time, north atlantic jetstreams dont half give you a good shove when flying eastbound. Can be a bit of a problem if in a 2engined jet though. The beauty of the 747's is they can pretty much do a straightish line there, hence the short trips between MCO and MAN.
I understand we hae a few members of the flying community on these forums looking at the flying section. I am a member of the military low flying type affair but still enjoy relaxing on the airlines, better when someone else does the flying though!!

fiona
02-01-2004, 04:56
We did JFK - LHR in 6 hours last night due to the fast tailwind - in a 777 (think that was it, can you tell what I know about planes!). Got upgraded to world traveller plus (thanks BA[msnsmile2]) as they had put Chris and I together and allocated the girls individual seats elsewhere. In fact we got there so early there was no hatch ready and we had to taxi around waiting!!

I should point out after Delta losing our luggage from JFK - Orlando (all of it) and then 1 suitcase from Orlando - JFK (naturally containing all Chris's and my winter clothes [msnmad]) BA managed to get us over the pond there and back without losing a thing!

Tracy
04-01-2004, 02:30
We were on the same flight and I couldn't belive it when the lights came on for breakfast, which they had already announced would be served one and a half hours before landing - time most certainly flew by on this flight. Wish all night flights could be as speedy !

esprit
04-01-2004, 06:39
My sons flight arrived really early in Gatwick on 2nd, leaving him with a 5 hours wait for his connection for Manchester though. But at least he could walk about.

chrisj
04-01-2004, 20:17
We managed 5.5 hours JFK to Heathrow once, apparantly the tail winds were making
everyone early and the airport wasnt officially open when we landed