PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Lakes rental

kevinprewett
31-12-2003, 00:19
Hi,
I,m looking to rent in July/August & have had a reasonable offer of $700 from a Hampton owner. I have never stayed in your community before & would like some info. if possible.
Is it easily accessible
How far,driving, to Disney
I often use the Ponderosa at junction of 535/536 on wat to attractions - how far from hampton.
look forward to hearing from someone.
any other onfo would be appreciated.

steph_goodrum
31-12-2003, 00:36
Kevin
At just over £40 a night in August I'd book it up quick if I were you, we pay more than that for a 1 night stopover at the airport for a family room with none of the facilities of a villa.
We love Hampton Lakes and have had our home there for 3 years now. It's about 11 miles to Disney and generally takes us between 10-15 mins. It's close enough to be very convenient for the attractions but when you aren't going to the parks or when you drive through the orange groves it makes you feel as though you are in the real country a bit more. You can reach both coasts and many state parks easily on Hway 27 and there is a library on 192 west if your villa doesn't have internet access and you want to look anything up.
I must admit we prefer the Golden Corral to Ponderosa and use the one near Splendid China a couple of times each trip.

phil moloney
31-12-2003, 05:03
At that price its probably not Hampton Lakes in Orlando Florida. If you knew Hampton Lakes in Orlando Florida you wouldn't even ask you have personnally delivered the check to the owner.

esprit
31-12-2003, 07:39
That is a ridiculously low rate for prime season dates. Rather than grabbing their hand off, I would be asking myself what sort of blind desperation drove the poor owner to accept a rate that is almost certainly not covering their costs and whether they are still going to have their home in eight months time for you to stay in.

kevinprewett
31-12-2003, 13:03
Believe me Phil, it is Hampton Lakes Orlando!
Kevin
quote:Originally posted by phil moloney

At that price its probably not Hampton Lakes in Orlando Florida. If you knew Hampton Lakes in Orlando Florida you wouldn't even ask you have personnally delivered the check to the owner.

hamptonlakes
31-12-2003, 13:10
I have to say that $700 for 10 nights is very very very cheap, these dates are high season and most owners would not have a problem filling these dates at there normal rate........so if you have been quoted $700 then i would book it.........i would say that the owner may of made a mistake and quoted you $700 when really it should be £700.....i would double check this

kevinprewett
31-12-2003, 13:16
You really think it's an 'iffy' deal then?
Lookung through [website links edited] there are loads of ads for Hampton Lakes, very few if any have bookings for next August yet. These are Brits. so I decided to ask them for their best rates.

Kevin<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by esprit

That is a ridiculously low rate for prime season dates. Rather than grabbing their hand off, I would be asking myself what sort of blind desperation drove the poor owner to accept a rate that is almost certainly not covering their costs and whether they are still going to have their home in eight months time for you to stay in.
[/quote]

hamptonlakes
31-12-2003, 13:22
What i am saying is that there is no way i could rent my villa for $700 for 10 nights in the high season there would be no point......i would really check if this is a verified home owner and if not try www.villasflorida.com www.orlandovillas.com or www.onlinefloridavillas.com where all the homes are verified by the people who operate these websites......good luck and i can help you any more please dont hesitate to contact me

kevinprewett
31-12-2003, 13:25
Thanx
I have already double checked they are Brits who would prefer payment in £s they have already converted $price to £437 for the 10 days. Even tho' I,m a newbie at your forum I,ve been coming to Fl. since 1980! Many times to Orlando but never H/Lakes so I,m looking for info. ease of access restaurants etc.
I,m more of a South West 'expert' really, Sanibel/Captiva ares.

You really think it's an 'iffy' deal then?
Lookung through there are loads of ads for Hampton Lakes, very few if any have bookings for next August yet. These are Brits. so I decided to ask them for their best rates.

Kevin<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by esprit

[/quote]
[/quote]

kevinprewett
31-12-2003, 13:34
Their villa is listed on [website link edited]. If you have the time have a look tell me what you think?

Kevin<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hamptonlakes

What i am saying is that there is no way i could rent my villa for $700 for 10 nights in the high season there would be no point......i would really check if this is a verified home owner and if not try www.villasflorida.com www.orlandovillas.com or www.onlinefloridavillas.com where all the homes are verified by the people who operate these websites......good luck and i can help you any more please dont hesitate to contact me
[/quote]

hamptonlakes
31-12-2003, 13:35
Well £473 is very cheap and as Esprit says i would be saying to myself why is it that this home is way cheap that the majority......i would charge more in 10 nights in Low Season....but if they have confimed there pricing and you are happy i would book this home then......

Here is a bit of Information on Hampton Lakes Community:

Hampton Lakes, is located off US Highway 27 just 15 minutes from Disney, 5 minutes drive from the 192 with all it has to offer including restaurants, shopping, information centres etc and only 10 mins drive from the I-4 and the access it offers to both coasts.
The community offers free on site services for all guests including tennis, beach volleyball, basket ball and children play area .

I have to say that Hampton Lakes is a great and well maintained community, also located just 5 minutes drive down the US 27 is the new Publixs and othe business including Pizza Takeaway. Hair & Beauty plus more coming soon.......

kevinprewett
31-12-2003, 14:14
Steph,
many thanks for your reply.Been visiting Fl.since 1980, often Orlando but I,m a Sanibel/ Captiva 'expert' really. Never tried the Golden Corral, do they do buffet breakfast?
Stayed all over Orl/Kiss. over the years but never Hampton Lakes, look forward to trying it out.

Kevin<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by steph_goodrum

Kevin
At just over £40 a night in August I'd book it up quick if I were you, we pay more than that for a 1 night stopover at the airport for a family room with none of the facilities of a villa.
We love Hampton Lakes and have had our home there for 3 years now. It's about 11 miles to Disney and generally takes us between 10-15 mins. It's close enough to be very convenient for the attractions but when you aren't going to the parks or when you drive through the orange groves it makes you feel as though you are in the real country a bit more. You can reach both coasts and many state parks easily on Hway 27 and there is a library on 192 west if your villa doesn't have internet access and you want to look anything up.
I must admit we prefer the Golden Corral to Ponderosa and use the one near Splendid China a couple of times each trip.
[/quote]

steph_goodrum
31-12-2003, 14:21
Kevin
Yes Golden Corral do do breakfast buffets although we haven't been to one as we don't tend to be big breakfast eaters and just want to get out for the day. The lunch buffet is served till 4 and is around $6.99 , the evening one after 4 is about $8.99 (loads of the coupon books have 10% off) unlike Ponderosa you don't wait for an entree you just help yourself from the buffet and they have a really good selection which usually suits everyone in the party.

"very few if any have bookings for next August yet."
I don't advertise on those sites but, apart from a 10 day gap at end July, my home is booked from end June through to Beginning Sept. and at a rate which will allow me to maintain the home to the standard both we and the guests deserve. I wonder if the homeowner has mistakenly quoted a weekly rate for the 10 nights, which would then for a 3 bed on the community be about average. We all like a bargain, as we all know from the e-mails we all send when there are deals to be had regarding flights etc, but we all also have heard of stories where it has been a case of "if it's too good to be true then in generally is".
Because Hampton Lakes community is looked after by one company rather than individuals taking care of their lawn etc it has proved to be a well kept and clean community and there are more and more restaurants etc being built in the area.
We are hoping to get round to Sanibel, Captiva etc soon so would be interested in any places to visit there.

huckleberry house
31-12-2003, 15:19
Hi Kevin
It certainly sounds a bargain basement price.The site that it is advertised on is one of the few that allow a link to the villa owners website but there does not appear to be one,I would ask the owner for a website address if I was you and be a little suspicious if there isnt one as that would be unusual.There are not many photos of the Villa, in particular I would be wary of the plots next door,maybe there is building work going on.The pool pictures dont show how close you may be to other peoples swimming sessions and sunbathing antics also.

I would also have to disagree about the statement regarding there being not many with August bookings,this is highly unusual for a Villa to have availability for the peak dates as they get booked up very early.For my villa you would need to be asking for 2006 to get a peak date in August so may be a cause for concern that it hasnt booked yet AND is at a bargain price when other owners dont have any problems getting bookings at full price for your dates.

As with most things you do tend to get what you pay for.It would be a shame to risk spoiling a great holiday for the sake of saving a few dollars/pounds when it is usually the cheapest element of a Disney holiday but can make all the difference to how good a time you have.

Lesley

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
31-12-2003, 17:43
We've been fully booked in our 3 bed villa for August 2004 for over a year now - and that is at our proper rate of £530 / $840 per week as we do not do discounts (we have no need to).

I, like the others here would be extremely dubious of such a cheap rate being quoted to me as there must be something wrong somewhere.

Harmony
31-12-2003, 20:04
I still have 2 weeks at the end of August 2004 available but would not dream of offering a discount on these high season dates. Our rate of $840 per week is very reasonable for high season and would be concerned about a deal that seems too go to be tue.

Jeff

Seminole
31-12-2003, 20:47
I'd like to second Lesley's comments. It's interesting that there isn't a stitch of pool furniture in sight in the photograph and the deck seems quite small. I am much more comfortable with a more panoramic view of the pool area so you can have an idea of how private the pool area is. The rate is so low that it should be a source of concern rather than a feeling of what a great deal.

honeybee
31-12-2003, 21:31
Hi if you look at the notes on the listing it states 'each property is individually owned and managed'. So is this a MC offering the home then later on you are moved to another home?

Also looks like it is a building site next to the home.

One thing that gets me is why did the owner not tell you what is around the estate locally as that would have been my first port of call for questions as I always tell people what is on the estate and what is local to my homes.

I hope the home lives up to your expectation

russell148
31-12-2003, 21:50
What picture did you look at to see a building site?

Rusty

honeybee
31-12-2003, 21:57
If you look on the website you will see sand to the side of the house which normally means they are still building.

phil moloney
31-12-2003, 22:00
Isn't that very funny - no pool furniture! Kevin have you actually paid for this home?
John and Roger You must feel so proud of your site helping people to get info on an area even when they have gone elsewhere for their booking. It is generous of this site being so helpful. It is a high standard all the way on this site compensates for the fact that there are no bargains!

hamptonlakes
31-12-2003, 22:06
What great about John & Rogers sites is that all the homes are verified........which on most websites they are not......when i stayed in my villa in Nov 03 i was told that all building works had been completed and that Hampton Lakes was fully sold out of new homes [?]......i am inclided to agree with honeybee in that this maybe a home offered by a Management Company [?]

I have to say very fishy....i would rather pay more the added security.........

SusieDozOrlando
31-12-2003, 23:42
My opinion for what it's worth is this. I would rather pay for a cheap villa than a cheap hotel, which having stayed in a few in Orlando, I can report are HORRIBLE!!

It's true to say that on the whole you get what you pay for BUT if this guy is getting a furnished house, with private pool, and maybe somewhat jaded furniture...it's still better than a jaded hotel room. If it was me, and I had assured myself that the villa really existed(!) then I'd take it. It's hardly likely to be infested with roaches and after all it's just a place to lay your head. I've stayed in some lovely villas over the years, and some which have been 'standard'. I wouldn't travel all the way to Florida just to spend all my time by a 'private pool' anyway.

And a final thought, sometimes people can take lesser monies for their villas which would cover their overheads, because not everyone purchases mortgaged to the hilt. Some people merely want it to pay for themselves and have either very small mortgages or none at all.

There are so many rental villas to be had, it really is a buyer's market and with the aid of the internet, you can pick and choose.

I just hope you don't turn up in Orlando and find your 'villa' is a pile of bricks waiting to be built!!

Good luck!

LesleyB
01-01-2004, 02:08
We booked a holiday in October this year where were allocated a villa on arrival. Our excuse was that we booked the holiday 13 months in advance and was before we had found this site and what luxuries villas owners on here give as standard! We were given the address four weeks before we left (Lake Berkley, where we have stayed before and could compare) and picked up the keys from the MC (real pain as office was situated the other end of the 192 to the villa, so lots of driving involved). We had booked pool heat. On arrival, the place superficially looked fine. A bit tatty, but could live with it. Then we found we had four clothes hangers in the whole place and two towels between the four of us. The plating on the knives and forks was peeling off and we were not keen to use them. The pool was freezing, and north facing, which in October meant that the sun hit the deck area in the right hand corner at around 3.00 pm onwards each day (enough room for one chair to squeeze into the sunlight). There was no owners booklet in the place and it was late due to a flight delay on the way out, so we left things for the night. Next day (Saturday) we called at the MC office (long drive again) to ask about the pool heat and was told that someone would be out that day to switch it on. To cut a long story short, nobody turned up, MC office closed at 2.00pm for the weekend and frantic calls to emergency number turned up a very helpful guy who informed us that the place did not actually have pool heat on site! We had to wait till Monday to be moved (to a fantastic villa on another site which was personally owned). The difference in accommodation was very noticeable, with lots of extras that we were not expecting - and south facing pool area, which was brilliant.

You do get what you pay for, if you pay a basic price, expect the basics and if you are lucky you might be pleasantly surprised (or not).

We will not be booking villas this way again, having decided that as we know the minimum we expect, we will provide this for ourselves, and other potential bookers, in our own villa.

Lesley

Seminole
01-01-2004, 17:05
Suzie, I appreciate your comments. Some guests are really not that keen on their accomodations. I suppose that is what helps keep Orlando's motel industry going. My experience is that many guests elect booking a villa because they are looking for a trip above the average to Florida. And quite a few of them view that time next to the pool, margarita in hand, and warm December sun on their faces as an essential part of their Florida holiday.

A friend of mine who was planning a Florida holiday called me half apologizing that he may not be booking my villa because he found a "real steal of a deal" - a rate familiar to your situation. He could afford a few pounds extra and as we talked he told me that he planned on renting a Cadillac De Ville while in Florida. He wanted a "huge American car" to savor the trip. I asked him why that thought didn't go into paying just a bit more to get a really nice place to stay. No answer.

Well, the villa wasn't infested with roaches but he had a disappointing experience nonetheless. The villa was at least five years past a badly needed painting, furniture was old, the place had a bit of a musty smell and worst of all, the pool faced a corner entrance to the estate with no fence or shrubbery to provide privacy. With the constant passage of cars past his pool, the occupants all staring rudely at him, he felt like a circus act.

There's no fault in being economical but beyond a certain point it becomes merely throwing your money away.

orlandobabe
02-01-2004, 02:16
quote from Suzie

It's hardly likely to be infested with roaches

This can and does happen. My daughter booked a condo for her second week -after her wedding. Staying with us for the first week in our villa.

Although the condo looked quite nice from the pictures-it was definitely over-run with roaches. The villa was managed by one of the really big companies in Orlando-where I sometimes think they find it hard to give a personal service.

My daughter and her new husband called the man co and they promised to sort it out. On arriving back at the villa for their second night-there were more roaches and the original one was still in a jar on the floor-so no-one had obviously called to attend to the problem. So they took that one-and it's mates along to reception where there was quite a heated discussion going with other disgruntled guests-and my daughter-just tipped the roach filled jar on the counter. They were moved there and then!

But it shouldn't have to be like that. One of the good things about sites like John and Roger's is guests can ask all of the questions they want- to ensure that should there be a problem-and it can happen in the very best of villas- what sort of steps are taken to sort it out quickly.

My guests know my man co live locally and failing that they can leave a message on my answerphone-and eventhough I'm 4,500 thousand miles away-I will sort it out asap.

It's up to guests to ask the right questions and not just look at the price tag-you wouldn't do that if you were buying something in the UK would you?

For most people Florida is their trip of a lifetime-and it's really important to get it right.

fiona
02-01-2004, 05:22
We stayed in a villa at Marco Island (5 years ago now!) that we paid £750 a week for. It was not only infested with cockroaches but also with palm rats! It took them 3 nights to move us and then we ended up in Naples which is not what we wanted, nor was it really comparable with the sort of villa we thought we were renting. However, it was immaculately clean, but there was some building going on nearby.

So do be careful, of course we all like a good deal, ask to see more pictures of the villa and you can make up your own mind.

huckleberry house
02-01-2004, 13:29
It just shows that to only have price as a criteria when looking for a Villa for a holiday isnt the wisest of moves when there are so many other factors that can effect your enjoyment.

Another reason why this home may be available at such cheap rates could be if the home was for sale.The present owner would want to have the highest amount of future bookings possible in order to sell at the best price.
The present owner wouldnt have to be concerned at the value of the bookings or whether it was enough income to cover expenses as this would be a problem for the new owner,not them.Of course there is always the risk if a home is for sale that the new owner does not take over the future low rate rentals or indeed is not intending to rent the home in the future at all.

Lesley

kevinprewett
02-01-2004, 21:09
Hi Suzie,
I'm the guy they are all talking about? The silly guy renting thje house at Hampton Lakes that is so cheap it must be a tip or a building site
Well thanks for your comments its nice to hear someone is on mt side! What they don't know is this. I've been renting in Fl. since 1979 & have necer had 'bad' accommodation from private owners yet!
ok maybe their isn't too many glossy photo's on the web site but the owners. who are in the Uk have just sent me some extra ones via e-mail. Unless they are photos of the inside of someone elses home the interior looks very nice.What-no pool furniture! as anyonr thought maybe the owners have stored it away? Perhaps you are correct maybe they would rather cut the rates to the renter than spend loads on a 'pretty' web-site! Perhaps they would rather rent their property at a reasonable rate opposed to some of the owners who are making negative comments buty charging renters twice the price? Anyway I'm willing to take the chance, as you said it can't be worse than Orlando motels!
Would value any other comments you wish to make

Kevin Prewett<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by SusieDozOrlando

My opinion for what it's worth is this. I would rather pay for a cheap villa than a cheap hotel, which having stayed in a few in Orlando, I can report are HORRIBLE!!

It's true to say that on the whole you get what you pay for BUT if this guy is getting a furnished house, with private pool, and maybe somewhat jaded furniture...it's still better than a jaded hotel room. If it was me, and I had assured myself that the villa really existed(!) then I'd take it. It's hardly likely to be infested with roaches and after all it's just a place to lay your head. I've stayed in some lovely villas over the years, and some which have been 'standard'. I wouldn't travel all the way to Florida just to spend all my time by a 'private pool' anyway.

And a final thought, sometimes people can take lesser monies for their villas which would cover their overheads, because not everyone purchases mortgaged to the hilt. Some people merely want it to pay for themselves and have either very small mortgages or none at all.

There are so many rental villas to be had, it really is a buyer's market and with the aid of the internet, you can pick and choose.

I just hope you don't turn up in Orlando and find your 'villa' is a pile of bricks waiting to be built!!

Good luck!
[/quote]

kevinprewett
02-01-2004, 21:13
Hi,
No its not an MC. I am dealing direct with the owners here in the uk
quote:Originally posted by honeybee

Hi if you look at the notes on the VRBO listing it states 'each property is individually owned and managed'. So is this a MC offering the home then later on you are moved to another home?

Also looks like it is a building site next to the home.

One thing that gets me is why did the owner not tell you what is around the estate locally as that would have been my first port of call for questions as I always tell people what is on the estate and what is local to my homes.

I hope the home lives up to your expectation

phil moloney
02-01-2004, 21:40
Kevin, You seem convinced and happy with the decision and indeed you have got a fair amount of advise from this site. Whtas left except to get your ticket, pack your bags and take pot luck. I don't think anyone here can give you any further reassurance...... Good Luck!

huckleberry house
02-01-2004, 22:34
Kevin

The owners on this site are offering you advice as they are in a position to know how cheaply a Villa could be rented for AND maintained well on a regular basis.What a lot of people dont realise is just how much it costs to maintain a villa in Florida.The property taxes and utilities are far,far greater than here in the UK.We are well aware of how the costs mount up.Believe me we are not making a profit out of this rental routine.

The majority of homes on this site are well maintained on a regular basis,carpets need cleaning often,bedding and towels need replacing etc and this can simply not be done on the rental figures you are quoting.This is why,when you ask for advice,we express our concerns that the property may not be what you expect nor what you may consider good enough for your family.

Ultimately is is your choice and at least we can say that we have offered our opinions as honestly as we can,to do less would not be to live up to the aims of this forum.After that it is down to you.

Good luck and I wish you a happy holiday.

Lesley

Seminole
02-01-2004, 22:39
Kevin, what a strange reaction! What makes you think everyone here who has commented is "against you"? I think that, on the contrary, the people who have posted are motivated, from their own past unpleasant experiences, to see that you have an enjoyable time in Florida. Unfortunately, very low prices are sometimes an indicator of other problems but if you've satisfied yourself that everything is above-board, good luck to you.

Oh, and by the way, Kevin, when a villa owner goes to the time and expense of having photographs taken for a website that thousands of potential guests will be reviewing, the pool furniture just isn't "stored away".

mm69340
03-01-2004, 00:05
I was being curious and checked it out- I copied this from the ad: Detached Villa - 3 Bedrooms + Other (See Description) - 2 Baths - (Sleeps 8-9)
I thought 3 Beds were only licensed for up to 8?? Are they allowed more? Just checking.

hamptonlakes
03-01-2004, 02:22
I think you are right Karen--3 bedrooms are only licensed for upto 8 Maximum

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-01-2004, 07:03
3 bed villas are definitely only ever licenced for a maximum of 8 people at any one time. Any more than this is a breach of the Short Term Rental licence an owner has to have by law to rent their home out.

stuart
03-01-2004, 16:09
Perhaps '+ other' is a crib/cot which would still count towards occupancy.

Just a thought

Stuart & Kim