PDA

View Full Version : Child Seats

gpullan
16-09-2009, 20:12
Do you need to use booster seats for children aged 8 and 7 in the USA??

Cheers

Albert the Frog
16-09-2009, 23:08
Yes unless they are over 4 foot 9-the booster seats should be of the shoulder and lap type (as opposed to just lap)-I'd take my own it doesn't affect your baggage allowance

gpullan
16-09-2009, 23:48
Yes i thought that. We bought some cheap Walmart ones last year as they were like $8 but i read the terms on the car hire site which stated the following:

INFANT SEATS:
Children under 3 years of age must be properly secured in a child passenger restraint. Children and 4+ must wear a safety belt.

That implies to me that they just need a standard seat belt?

Gtyler
01-12-2009, 20:38
Hi.
In that case, I also have a question if some kind person could help me. I'm going to Orlando next year and hiring a car. I don't want to hire car seats for my six year old and 35 month old at time of travel but will take my own. So is it legal to take & use 2 booster seats for them both, or just my six year old. Will I need a proper baby seat for my nearly 3 year old in that case? The reason I'm asking is because it's easier to pack (luggage wise) 2 booster seats than a booster & baby car seat, especially as I'll be taking a buggy too. Please can someone help me.
Many thanks.

blott
02-12-2009, 03:44
The Florida laws about children in cars is here.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_27703.asp

Infants/ Toddlers/ Young Children
Birth > 1 year/ Over 1 year/ Age 4-8 & over
At least 20-22lbs/ 20 - 40lbs/ 40 lbs unless 4' 9"

Type of seat Infant only/ Convertible/ Booster seat for belt positioning

Seat Rear position only/ Forward facing/ Forward facing

Make sure always rear facing/ Harness at or below shoulders/ Booster seat with lap and shoulder belt

All children 12 years of age or under should ride in the back seat

Never use an infant seat on the front seat where there is an airbag.

As you can see, the regulations are divided up by weight, age or height so you need to calculate these for your children.

Gtyler
02-12-2009, 12:57
Cheers Blott, that was very useful.