PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in Orlando 2009

brownie 1972
01-09-2009, 23:20
Hello all,

After weeks of reading this forum, I have finally taken the plunge and signed up. So here is my question. I have book the Family Holiday to Orlando for Christmas 09 and wondering what else is there to do apart from the Theme Parks. Where going for 14 days but thinking of only doing the 3 park pass as I want to see as much as possible. “I want the Florida Bug" Also if there are any deals or offers please let me know.
[msncool]

dawn
01-09-2009, 23:26
Hi Andrew and welcome,

A visit to Celebration with it's nightly snow and festivities is definately worth a visit

Albert the Frog
02-09-2009, 00:16
Andrew- this is a loaded question if ever i saw one-the parks have so many different facets to them- the shows within them like lion king or attractions in citywalk like the blue man group-you've got downtown disney, celebration as stated-myriad places to eat-the malls-the animal places like seaworld, busch gardens, animal kingdom-all of these coupled with the magic of christmas-i just wish i could persuade my other half!

Lyn
02-09-2009, 00:59
If you haven't been before 3 days at Disney will not be enough if you want to see everything, there are 4 Disney Parks and they will take at least a day each espeially at Christmas. There is also Universal (2 Parks) and Sea World. There is also Downtown Disney which I imagine is magical at Christmas. There are so many other things to see and do and that is without leaving the Kissimmmee/Orlando area. All the malls will be trimmed for Christmas and if you want to go further afield there is Busch Gardens, Blue Springs State Park to see the Manatees. The list is endless, it really depends on what you like doing. You will however have a great time I'm sure, was there last year on the run up to Christmas, it did take a little getting used to all the houses being trimmed up with fake snow and snowmen when you are walking about in shorts and T shirt. Have a great trip and welcome to the forum.

brownie 1972
02-09-2009, 01:33
Wow, thanks all so far. I have been doing so much reading about Orlando but never thought about
* Blue Springs State Park to see the Manatees
* Celebration
* even downtown disney

So all I need to do is think about what to do on Christmas Day itself!!!! Does Orlando shut down like London on Christmas Day?

mfairhurst
02-09-2009, 01:34
A day at Daytona beach would be good and go to the Daytona speedway it is interesting for all the family .
It is not has warm at christmas but still a lovely ride there and plenty of eating places just like disney area .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/1683.aspx

Lyn
03-09-2009, 02:22
I think Disney would be very busy on Christmas day, but I could be wrong.

CERICROWLEY
03-09-2009, 14:13
Magic Kingdom on Christmas day is very busy. You will need to be there really early as they tend to shut to the public for capicity reasons around 11am. They will ever televise the event in Magic Kingdom for the parade of they do it at California, it depends. You could quite easily get into on of the other parks, I know Hollywood Studios is very good to get into on Christmas Day or Animal Kingdom.

You will need to prebook your Christmas Day lunch or Dinner as a lot of hotels and restaurants will be full. Over the years we have been going, we have done just about every park on Christmas Day

brownie 1972
13-09-2009, 02:48
Thanks everyone

freddiehollie
13-09-2009, 19:58
Hi Andrew. Whatever you do don't discount the waterparks yet. We have been at Christmas a number of times and have had great weather[8D]
The water is heated so if its a nice day (no cool wind) you can have plenty of fun at a water park.[msnwink]
Remember though Disney close one of their parks seasonally for "refurbishing" but there will still be one available[msnsmile2]
Plus Aquatica etc.

brownie 1972
13-09-2009, 22:37
Thanks all,

Aquatica is a must,

Jan and Laurence Hood
17-11-2009, 13:38
Christmas is great in Orlando. I never thought I would get the Chrismassy feel whilst in the sun but we love it. Darkness comes very early and that just enhances the atmosphere. Definitely do Celebration - the houses are fantastic. We also went to Gaylords to see the tree and decor there and Mall of Millenia is lovely. The Disney Christmas parage is also spectacular. Have a great time.[clap]

steph_goodrum
17-11-2009, 14:31
Ice at Gaylord Palms is also worth at least a visit.
Lake Louisa State park and Kissimmee Lakefront park are 2 others within easy reach. With the State parks you only pay a very small entrance fee for the car and passengers.
Blue Springs for example is $6 for up to 8 people.
Places like Lake Louisa have grill areas on the beach beside the lake and aren't generally very crowded so you can have a fun day with the family if you take a football and some food for the grill etc.
Old Town is also worth a visit to see the cars and bikes. The Christmas eve parade is usually wee turned out with many cars being decorated for Christmas.

brizzle
17-11-2009, 14:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by freddiehollie
Hi Andrew. Whatever you do don't discount the waterparks yet. We have been at Christmas a number of times and have had great weather[8D]
The water is heated so if its a nice day (no cool wind) you can have plenty of fun at a water park.[msnwink]
Remember though Disney close one of their parks seasonally for "refurbishing" but there will still be one available[msnsmile2]
Plus Aquatica etc.
[/quote]

We spent last Christmas Eve at Blizzard Beach so defintely don't discount water parks.

We also spent New Years Eve on Clearwater beach which was fantastic.

We did Magic Kingdom the other year on Christmas Day and got there for opening. Managed 2-3 hours before it got too busy, managing a fair few ridse, and then left but we did have Annual Passes so didn't 'waste' a whole day on the ticket.

If I was going I would make sure to take in :

Celebration - Snow on Market Street
Osborne Family Lights - Disney Hollywood Studios
Holiday Illuminations and Christmas around the world - EPCOT
Christmas Wishes and general decorations - Magic Kingdom

Another one which might be a little far but we're going to go up to this year is 'Light up Mount Dora' in, funnily enough, Mount Dora. We saw the lights adorning everything last year but didn't stay until dark so need to revisit.

To be honest you can't go wrong as eveywhere is decked out for the festive season.

luckylady
17-11-2009, 16:00
We were in Orlando last Christmas with our Grandaughter We had Christmas Day Brunch at the Peabody Hotel.Then from there went to Celebration had a wonderful horse drawncarriage ride around Celebration which certainly made our day. Then watched the snow falling in Market Sreet before going back to our rented villa and having a family swim in the lovely heated pool
My 14 year old Grandaughter said this Christmas day I will remember forever!!!

brizzle
17-11-2009, 16:57
Another vote for the Peabody Brunch here, we did it last Christmas Day and loved it. We also booked in to the hotel for the night so we could enjoy the included beverages without the drive back to the villa.

Also finished off relaxing in the evening in the lobby listening to the pianist play Christmas tunes.

Would do exactly the same next time we are there for Christmas Day.

ShirleyD
18-11-2009, 06:21
ICE at Gaylord Palms

Celebration in the snow

Shopping at Premium Outlets

Shopping at Millenia Mall

Shopping at Florida Mall

Shopping at Prime Outlets

[msneek][msnembarrased][msnoo][msncool]:D[msnsmile2][msnscared][}:)][msnwink]

Susan J
19-11-2009, 05:06
Drive around some of the estates and see the WONDERFUL decorations -people go to so much trouble. IN the case of our estate, we also decorate the public areas of the estate also.
If you are staying in a villa, I would not go to Disney on Xmas day- I would order your Xmas dinner from PUblix delicatessen, pick up on Xmas eve before they close. It is a delicious dinner with full isntructions -all fresh, mashed potato, gravy, stuffing etc- all included, and very good quality. Sit back and enjoy a relaxing day by the pool, and hit the parks on the day after- a little less crowded so you will get on more rides.
Celebration is real must, and if you can, book tickets for Miceys very merry Xmas party - well worth a visit.
All the Disney hotels do special holiday meals with characters -food not wondrous, but entertainment with young kids great.
Downtown Disney will have the ice skating rink -there truly is tons to do, and all so wonderfully happy and festive. THe candlelight processionaly at Epcot is another must see- when we went there it was a cool day, and it seemed all the more Christmassy for it!
Have a really good time!

Andrena
22-11-2009, 01:14
This will be our first Christmas in our home in Florida. We usually go home mid-December but this year are staying for 3 months right over Christmas and New Year. Have taken in the various suggestions. Although we have not stayed over Christmas we always decorate our home both inside and out for our guests before we leave and our neighbour takes the decorations down for us. This year we will enjoy it ourselves for longer. Lindfields where we have our home has loads of homes decorated and is really lovely over Christmas.
As our grandchildren are very young we will have Christmas Day at home, guess who will be cooking, but will be out an about over the rest of the festive period.

Andrena

brownie 1972
28-11-2009, 18:07
WOW, Thank you all, for the replies, much appreciated. Only 18 more days to go now, So looking forward to it.

Can I ask you all another question, how much money do you think I should take with me? I have a 9 yesr old, 14 year old and my wife, we have paid for the park tickets in advance but not sure how much to bring...going for two weeks

Andy & Arlene
29-11-2009, 00:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brownie 1972
WOW, Thank you all, for the replies, much appreciated. Only 18 more days to go now, So looking forward to it.

Can I ask you all another question, how much money do you think I should take with me? I have a 9 yesr old, 14 year old and my wife, we have paid for the park tickets in advance but not sure how much to bring...going for two weeks
[/quote]

As much as you can afford [msnwink]

freddiehollie
29-11-2009, 01:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by brownie 1972

Can I ask you all another question, how much money do you think I should take with me? I have a 9 yesr old, 14 year old and my wife, we have paid for the park tickets in advance but not sure how much to bring...going for two weeks[/quote]As much as you can afford

And then sum[msnwink]