PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Florida and starting up own business

tina
27-12-2003, 16:58
Hello

Would anyone be able to give us any information on the legality side on how to go about moving and starting up our own business and getting a visa.
We have a home there and our business plan is all sorted out, we just need to know where to go next.
We have looked at many websites, (good and bad), but would like to hear from an expert or ideall someone who has done it!! We need someone to explain the ins and outs in a language we understand(SIMPLY).[msnscared]
Can anyone help?[?]

Tina and Neil

florida4sun
27-12-2003, 17:45
It can be very difficult staring from scratch. The embasey does like to see a pre existing business employing atleast 2 citizens. Business plans alone dont seem to hack it these days. An investment of around $100000.00 is typically required (it can be done for less).
You need to to use a good attorney. It is near impossible on your own.

quote:Originally posted by tina

Hello

Would anyone be able to give us any information on the legality side on how to go about moving and starting up our own business and getting a visa.
We have a home there and our business plan is all sorted out, we just need to know where to go next.
We have looked at many websites, (good and bad), but would like to hear from an expert or ideall someone who has done it!! We need someone to explain the ins and outs in a language we understand(SIMPLY).[msnscared]
Can anyone help?[?]

Tina and Neil

DaveL
27-12-2003, 19:09
I would agree with Martin here, some friends of our tried to go down this path recently and had the impression from the embassy that 'they had heard it all before' about the business plan route. They really wanted concrete evidence that you were going to employ U.S. citizens, now and not some time in the future once you got started, This is why some of the local business for sale can seem to be overpriced. The owner know that this is a way for people to get a green card into the country.

Regards Dave

tina
27-12-2003, 22:06
Thanks for replying and your advice.

Regards Tina

steph_goodrum
27-12-2003, 22:26
"The owner know that this is a way for people to get a green card into the country."

Buying an existing business will never get you a green card though, the visa will only last for so many years (usually 2-5) and each time of renewal has to still fulfil all relevant criteria.

tina
28-12-2003, 00:36
I'm sorry, (new at this), but what do you mean by this :"The owner know that this is a way for people to get a green card into the country."

Tina

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-12-2003, 02:03
He means that someone who owns a business in Florida and is selling the business to an E2 VISA applicant from outside the US knows that the person wishing to move to Florida will pay over the odds for the business as there is more people looking to buy these businesses than decent businesses to buy. This is just my take on it but I've seen and heard of a lot of people paying way too much for a business in Florida just because they want to move here. I also think some of them may not have thought enough about the type of business they are buying into and whether it is really somnething they would be happy doing day in, day out.

He's wrong about an E2 being a clear path to a greencard though - that's the L1 visa that is more suitable.

esprit
28-12-2003, 07:37
Tina, I just sent you a long email with lot of info in it which I did in reply to yours before reading this thread.
I agree with what Martin says about it being difficult on just a business plan, though not impossible. I have heard of them insisting that there is still a substantial ( and real) investment which means going to Florida and getting vehicles, equipment etc BEFORE getting the visa, hence if the visa is turned down you are lumbered with it The requirement for at least one US employee must be satisfied. It is one, Martin, not two. I know a lady very well who just got E2 with one and he is essentially a sub contractor as he is on 1099.

The comments made by John ( floridadreamvilla) are essentially correct. There are a lot of businesses here selling for more than they are worth just because they will get you a visa. When you get here, you may find that you dont actually like what you have elected to do or in a lot of cases that the contracts arent concrete and disappear up the swannee. It seems to be a baptism of fire, you hear it over and over. Business is exceedingly aggressive here and very competitive. The words dog eat dog come to mind and are not really too strong. Ask yourself how you would fare in this environment. I for one was not wholly prepared for it. Previously professionals, hussling as a way of life is something totally different for us and quite alien. It takes some getting used to.

As I said in my email, E2 rarely leads to green card. It CAN. But slowly. This is done either by change of ststus via labor cetification or by an accompanying child getting a green card through education and employment and sponsorring you upon taking citizenship. As I also said in my email. these questions should not be addressed to us really but to a really good visa attorney. I have emailed you the name of one.

hamptonlakes
29-12-2003, 04:02
i have a little question:

So if i have a business here in the UK and wanted to have offices in orlando and me and my family to move here is this along that correct lines......i own a nationwide painting and decorating contractors who decorate all the major department store throughout the UK including our major job which was finished last year Browns Of Chester (Sorry just showing off)[msnsmile2]

I have talked to my dad and my family about moving to Orlando and branching out our painting contractors to Orlando ?

You help and information on this is very much appresiated[msnsmile2]

blott
29-12-2003, 07:02
I think if you can continue trading with your existing company in the UK, then you can apply for an L1 visa to live and open a branch in Florida but you don't necessarily have to do the same thing, ie painting and you can choose to do anything you wish.

You'd need to run the figures of your current company past an immigration attorney to make sure it will work to get a visa by this means.

esprit
29-12-2003, 07:21
I am presuming you own a limited liabaility company in the UK?? It is much easier to get an L1 inter-company transfer visa than an E2. You just have set up a company in Florida with the same ownership as the UK company and then peetition to transfer yourself between the two. You can either buy a pre-existing business through the Florida company, start a business doing what you do in the UK or as Blott says even start one doing something unrelated. The company in the UK must be capable of continuing trading without any dimunution of turnover. The one draw back is that you are usually only given the L1 for a short time ( just one year in the case of some people I know) and upon renewal you need to show that not only is the old business still trading but also that the new business is trading successfully. That is where it all falls in a heap for a lot of people. If you can get through the renewal, you are usually on track to a green card.

imported_n/a
24-01-2004, 05:24
Hi Julie (Esprit)

I am very interested in knowing more about how to buy a business in the US and would really apreciate if you would email me the same details as per you post.

Any advice on where to start looking for E2 businesses for sale please?

esprit
24-01-2004, 06:53
Have a look at www.fbba.com for a business. Contact www.investorvisausa.com for a good attorney who will let yo knoe which business works.

imported_n/a
24-01-2004, 17:36
Thanks for that Julie

Could you please recommend a good attorney - as it is probably a minefield.

blott
24-01-2004, 18:32
Casi, Esprit already told you in the post above yours... [msnwink]

imported_n/a
25-01-2004, 00:04
Sorry Blott

Me being thick again!!!

I opened my mouth before I clicked on the link. I thought it was a general site with lots to choose from.

I will go and read now...
Thanks

blott
25-01-2004, 02:38
No probs Casi. Happens to us all... [msnwink]

walmsley_family
25-01-2004, 07:16
Hello All,

We have just purchased and have just completed a new house on Emerald Island, we are now wanting about buy another home on phase five when lots released.

In the meantime we do want to think about moving over here from uk and possibly setting up a management business, along with a couple of other friends that we have met who would like to do the same.

Can anyone help us in letting us know the best approach to move over here, legal consequences, etc...

Thank You

Walmsley Family

esprit
25-01-2004, 08:09
Setting up a management company? It is easier to get a visa buying a business than setting one up I have to say amd with nearly 700 managemnt companies already in Orlando, it might be hard to show you have a USP. I do know of someone who got a visa to set one up in Bradenton but there is far less competition there and a need for good mcs. My attorney told me I could try for a visa with a start up management company if I could get ten signed management contracts to put in with my application. You try getting ten people to commit themselves to your services months before you are even in a position to move out ( one kind lady off this forum did). I put in a business plan as a top up to my main application and it did help me as the business I was buying was marginal but I dont think I would have got in on it alone.
I have to say as someone who is now doing the job, that it is harder work than you imagine. I am sure Martin will agree with me. Also soneone who has only just bought a home may not have enough knowledge of the industry to start from scratch as there are many things, licensing laws, taxes, rules and regulations that you pick up over time as a homeowner and can apply in a management role. The knowledge acquired over seven years as a homeowner have helped me immensely plus a network of contacts again built up over years. Not sure a new homeowner would succeed in this.
Also if you are trying for E2, the venture would need to be big enough to support you and your friends as well ( so quite big) It would be max two people with 50% each ( plus dependants), I dont see the embassy giving out lots of E2s to a pile of people running a management company in a sort of consortium.