PDA

View Full Version : Naming hurricanes after women ...

DLB-GOUROCK
16-08-2009, 16:27
Just noticed the first two storms starting and they have named them Ana and Bill.
I immediately thought that they were all named after women then a second later recalled Charlie etc. But it bugged me that my first thought was woman's names. So I looked around and ....

The practice of naming hurricanes solely after women came to an end in 1978 when men's and women's names were included in the Eastern North Pacific storm lists. In 1979, male and female names were included in lists for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.

Is this how the saying "hell has no fury like a woman's scorn" arose, or is this why they originally named the hurricanes after women?

Please no flak, just a bit serious and just a bit tongue in cheek.

another
16-08-2009, 16:37
The saying itself arose from - (according to Wiki!!!)

The Playwright/Poet William Congreve, in The mourning bride, 1697

There is one interesting theory on one site that the person in 1953 given the task of naming the hurricanes and was going through a nasty divorce so chose womens names which sort of goes back to your theory of 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned'!

SDJ
16-08-2009, 18:34
They have started using alternate male then female names. Have done for some years now. Remember Hugo - a long time ago and I am sure he is male[msnwink]

Sandra