PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes Ana and Bill

flyrr100
16-08-2009, 02:59
Remember the projected track changes almost hourly.
Due to hit Florida Wed-Thur next week.

http://tribunewx.wunderground.com/data/images/at200902_5day.gif

Followed by Hurricane bill a few days later!
http://tribunewx.wunderground.com/data/images/at200903_5day.gif

ShirleyD
16-08-2009, 03:57
Gosh, first named storms of the season, I think that is because all the grotty weather is in the UK at the moment [msnwink]

As you say, plenty of time to change direction

CERICROWLEY
16-08-2009, 15:51
At present these are still tropical storms with winds of 40 mph for ANA and 45 mph for BILL this is a long way of hurricane status of 74-95 mph which is catergory 1 which is just like a very bad day in the UK

christhear
16-08-2009, 18:04
I was at Cocoa beach all last week, they kept going on about Tropical Depression 2 which would soon change to a Tropical Storm and get a name. Guess what it fizzled out and disappeared. I suppose Swine Flu is old hat now so there is nothing else to talk about.
I've seen this sort of hype so many times, forget about it for a few days and hopefully they wil change direction.
Dont let the misery guts get you worried.

thornton
16-08-2009, 18:06
It seems to me that Florida is only on the edge of it anyway so nothing to worry about. Not worth thinking about in my opinion.

flyrr100
16-08-2009, 23:33
Anyone notice Claudette just forming off the coast of Tampa?

Andrena
17-08-2009, 00:17
Sometimes I wonder at the American's idea of a hurricane. If the lived in Scotland they would know what one really was. Now I am not deriding the real hurricanes and the devastation they can cause, but really we were there once when they were getting into a panic over a 65 mph storm, heavens here we would just say that it was a bit blowy today.

Andrena

chrizzy100
17-08-2009, 02:31
I agree about the wind..a normal day for us in Fall and spring is a 30 mile an hour wind..then it goes to 45 for about 4 days that is the lowest speeds it can reach 65 every few mins for a few hours.....but I've been out in a wind storm in FL and its just not the same..both me and my daughter nearly passed out because you can't take a breath.I've never had that here no matter what the wind speed..it was very scary...

CERICROWLEY
20-08-2009, 03:42
this is current forecast and where is claudette?

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/blott/20098200329_hurricanebill.gif

MTP
20-08-2009, 04:39
I believe she nipped out for some groceries, do you want me to give her a call?

bubble88
21-08-2009, 21:59
Hi there whats happenign to the storms any one know ...i get confused looking at the radars and the TBO centre dont mention it ! :(

dawn
21-08-2009, 22:11
Just looking at the path for Bill, could be a case of batten down the hatches in the UK for some areas next week[msnscared]

ellie
21-08-2009, 22:12
According to the news this mornings, there is a large weather front over the Eastern seaboard which will stop Bill from reaching land.

chrizzy100
22-08-2009, 01:04
We have a huge storm coming over land to us which is pushing bill away...Obama could of found his holiday home in the sea next week otherwise...

flyrr100
22-08-2009, 03:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Andrena
Sometimes I wonder at the American's idea of a hurricane. If the lived in Scotland they would know what one really was. [/quote]Wait a few days and it looks like Bill will be bearing down on the Highlands of Scotland. Hold on to your sporran!

GrahamC
23-08-2009, 01:23
So they both missed Florida then?

chrizzy100
23-08-2009, 01:27
Will Bill is near enough off our shores and nothing yet...

MTP
23-08-2009, 01:59
For those not aware, chrizzy100 is referring to New England and not Florida (didn't want any casual readers of the forum to be concerned).

Alright, as you were. Move along now, nothing to see here.

chrizzy100
23-08-2009, 08:12
I would of thought most could tell that by the map...:D:D

The outer bands are over us right now...but its still very quiet...

blott
23-08-2009, 12:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
I would of thought most could tell that by the map...:D:D

The outer bands are over us right now...but its still very quiet...
[/quote]Chrizzy, you're going off topic, which is weather in Florida.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/blott/200982391551_hurricanebill2.gif

Robert5988
23-08-2009, 13:56
The surfers here on the East coast of Florida are having wonderful 8 ft waves rolling in - best conditions I have seen.

steph_goodrum
23-08-2009, 14:40
Blott
Although the topic area is Florida weather, the thread title is Hurricanes Ana and Bill and it is hurricane Bill that is causing the predcted storm on the North Eastern Seaboard. I've been keeping half and eye as my daughter flew into Boston yesterday and should be going to Marthas Vineyard on Tuesday. Hopefully it will not be as bad as predicted.

What it does show in a way though it that it isn't really worth focussing too much attention as soon as reports are started about any Tropical depression/storm/hurricane but be prepared in general. It is easy for every first time visitor or person contemplating visiting to think they are going to be involved and change plans accordingly. In the 11 years we've been going we have only ever had one time that we were under curfew in Orange Lake for a few hours and for the majority of the time we have travelled in school summer holidays in August.

Just as with the swine flu and every other thing that could potentially cause a prbolem, think rationally and get together what you may need or have a plan of if it escalates how you will deal with it and then get on with enjoying the holiday. There will be times like this where the predicted path changes and it means you haven't wasted lots of your holiday worrying about it.

Mo Green
23-08-2009, 17:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

It is easy for every first time visitor or person contemplating visiting to think they are going to be involved and change plans accordingly. [/quote]

I could not agree more Steph. In 2005 the people staying in our villa were panicking when Katrina started to cross from Miami to the Gulf Coast. In spite of my reassurances that hurricanes are unpredictable
and can change course at the last moment and that our villa was built to withstand hurricanes they decided to drive to............New Orleans!! They spoilt their holiday driving all that way and then having to drive back again quickly before one of the biggest disasters in New Orleans.

Mo

blott
23-08-2009, 18:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Blott
Although the topic area is Florida weather, the thread title is Hurricanes Ana and Bill and it is hurricane Bill that is causing the predcted storm on the North Eastern Seaboard. I've been keeping half and eye as my daughter flew into Boston yesterday and should be going to Marthas Vineyard on Tuesday. Hopefully it will not be as bad as predicted.[/quote]Steph, sorry but unfortunately that's not how the forum works.

The forum is about Florida, the section called Weather is therefore also about Florida. It's irrelevant what a thread is titled because, if it's going off the main forum topic of Florida, subsection Florida Weather, then it should be in Off Topic.

Whilst I can see why you're interested in this particular hurricane and therefore thread, it doesn't alter the fact that now Hurricane Bill is no longer anywhere near Florida, that takes it off topic. As it's obviously important to you and rather than trying to follow it on a Florida forum now it's moved out of the area, I'm sure there's a much more accurate view to be had direct from the hurricane websites.

steph_goodrum
23-08-2009, 20:26
There isn't really much point leaving the thread open then is there , if Bill isn't going to affect Florida there's no need for us to talk about it any more, or have a post saying it can be continued off topic. It does nothing to follow through to conclusion the thread started and showing what is often the outcome that is the storm either blowing themselves out or changing course.

flyrr100
24-08-2009, 17:03
But aren't there folks on this site that live in New England? Why just ignore their plight just because you only care about Florida?

Florida will be hot and steamy. 80% chance of rain in the afternoon. Should be clear by 7pm.

florida4sun
24-08-2009, 17:30
That is an easy one, we are here solely for the purpose of promoting vacation homes in Florida. The last thing we want is to be a weather channel for other parts of the USA, that can actually work against the site in the search engines.
As you are fully aware anyone living in areas affected by such storms will have 24 hour ticker tape updates on just about every tv channel. They are not going to be searching this site for info, that would be a a total waste of time.
And yes we are pretty much only interested in vacationing Florida, it is what we are all made about [msnsmile2]<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
But aren't there folks on this site that live in New England? Why just ignore their plight just because you only care about Florida?

Florida will be hot and steamy. 80% chance of rain in the afternoon. Should be clear by 7pm.
[/quote]

Lyn
26-08-2009, 17:25
When you visit this site often, you are sympathetic to other peoples circumstances, this would include if a huricane was heading towards there home or family. It may be of topic but barely it is still about a huricane that was heading for Florida. I can understand that this forum site is to get bookings for villas, cars etc. but this attitude puts people off visiting the site.