PDA

View Full Version : retire to florida

lynn56
10-08-2009, 18:12
hi i would love to retire to florida gulf coast area
what do we need to do my husband retires in 7 yrs so have plenty of time to sort and make right choice [8D]

flyrr100
10-08-2009, 18:19
Good health insurance!

steph_goodrum
10-08-2009, 19:02
There's no such thing at present as a Visa that will let you retire to FLorida. If you have a business that you could open a branch there, that may eventually lead to a Green Card.
There are options but they involve lots of money (500k or $1m).

chrizzy100
10-08-2009, 19:16
Yes there is no retirement visa...the easiest thing to do is snowbird..

Albert the Frog
10-08-2009, 20:09
We looked into this and as stated the big problems will be getting a Visa and affordable healthcare-snowbirding seems favourite to us!

florida4sun
10-08-2009, 20:50
How do you get around health insurance?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Albert the Frog
We looked into this and as stated the big problems will be getting a Visa and affordable healthcare-snowbirding seems favourite to us!
[/quote]

esprit
11-08-2009, 00:03
There have been some rumblings again about what they call a Silver Visa. The first time this was tried was in 1999 and it didnt get much support and died a death and then the person who was behind it, sorry forget his name, wasnt re-elected. There has been some lobbying going on recently in Washington to ascertain support for it if it were introduced again. The USA hasnt exactly been doing well over the last couple of years and an injection of capital from abroad wouldnt come amiss, especially as there would be no recourse to benefits of any sort so a win-win situation, and it would also mop up some of those foreclosures. Having said that, immigration is still a bit of a hot potato and the current government doesnt seem to have any great interest in immigration reform, or at least sees it as down on the list of priorities so dont hold your breath. A LOT of support is needed to get a bill through Congress and then through the Senate and lobbyists cost money. If the realtors association threw in behind it with some hard cash then maybe it will start to go somewhere.

As someone living in the US and in her late 50s and with no access to Medicare, I can honestly say though that even if there is a retirement visa at some stage in the future, health insurance is a major issue. Two of us in relative good health in our late 50s pay $400 a month in health insurance but pay the first $7000 a year in claims ourselves as there is an excess. The rate seems to go up quarterly. By 70 years of age, it would be totally unaffordable. That is why medicare exists and why so many American elderly people work part time in places like WalMart which cover them for for top up healthcare. As a retiree, you will have no access to anything like that. People knock the NHS but you don t know what you have got till it is gone.

SteveandJan
11-08-2009, 02:15
I do agree with you Julie, we would live eventually to retire in Florida but know realistically it isn't possible (even if it were legal in the US), due to the health care. We hope that we still have our home by the time we retire and spend the 6 months of our winter in Florida and the summer in the UK or possible somewhere else like France. Who knows, but we do at least have our free (well at the minute we do) healthcare and as you get older you get more problems unfortunately. Our previous MC told us how expensive their healthcare was and we were quite shocked.

Albert the Frog
11-08-2009, 02:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
How do you get around health insurance?
Originally posted by Albert the Frog
/quote]The travel insurance we have covers us for unlimited trips of up to 45 days duration=by paying a premium we can extend this to 90 days but in truth 45 days is ample for us

blott
11-08-2009, 03:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SteveandJan
I do agree with you Julie, we would live eventually to retire in Florida but know realistically it isn't possible (even if it were legal in the US), due to the health care. We hope that we still have our home by the time we retire and spend the 6 months of our winter in Florida and the summer in the UK or possible somewhere else like France. Who knows, but we do at least have our free (well at the minute we do) healthcare and as you get older you get more problems unfortunately. Our previous MC told us how expensive their healthcare was and we were quite shocked.[/quote]Be very careful where you live outside the UK and for how long because entitlement to NHS treatment stops after three months in a non EU country if you're not intending to live in the UK permanently.

You also need to 'de-register' with your GP if you're leaving the country for three months or more.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074374

chrizzy100
11-08-2009, 08:10
We live in the US but can't say we'll be able to afford to live here in our old age...we are looking now at places to move onto..the US is a great place to live..but it really is a place more suited in my books to people who like working hard and playing hard...then a place to end your days in..

lynn56
11-08-2009, 13:05
ok thanx we may lookin to snowbird then but how long can u stay in one visit[msncool]

Clare R
11-08-2009, 14:02
A B1/B2 visa allows you stay for up to 6 months. In order to get a visa from the US Embassy you have to show you have home/family/job etc in the UK they are terrified that you will either go to US and try to work or study, you must show real evidence that you will be back to the UK. Visa lasts 10 years.

Lyn
11-08-2009, 19:08
Yes if I were 30 years younger I would LOVE to move to the US but as I will be 60 in October I find I am getting more appreciative of the NHS. Plan on visiting for a month at a time.

vickk17
20-10-2009, 02:23
What is snowbirding please?

ellie
20-10-2009, 03:12
Snowbirds are usually seniors who come down to Florida to enjoy the warm temperatures over the winter, escaping the cold weather from more northerly states.

atush
23-11-2009, 16:57
I am an american citizen, but have to say I have no intention of moving permanently to my florida home even though I could. 3-6 months per year will be adequate for me when that time arrives. until then, I am restricted to about 4-6 weeks per year as I have children at school.

esprit
23-11-2009, 19:56
No one has mentioned the weather. Between May and September it is steamingly hot, humid and wet and costs a fortune in air conditioning. This might seem ideal if you are on holiday and just loll in the pool all day, but isnt nice to work in. The winters are lovely. Those who snowbird and come for the six winter months ( or late Fall, Winter, and early Spring) get the best of both worlds and no visa hassles.

chrizzy100
23-11-2009, 20:51
Its hot and humid in a lot of the US...sometimes its less humid in FL then here in MA..cooling is a lot cheaper than heating anyday

ukman
08-12-2009, 15:17
i would agree with chrizzy, its cheaper too cool than heat. Winter now in england it cost me £150 per month on gas alone.

chrizzy100
08-12-2009, 18:35
my Gas bill in New England if I used it to heat would be $1200 a month ukman...then the cost of Electric on top about another #200 in winter..we moved back to wood fires..cheaper but hard work and very cold first thing in the morning..it reminds me of my childhood and coalfires..my Nan would get up at 5 to put them on all through our house..never thought I would end up going back to the good old days in the USA ...lol...but everyone here now burns woods..its very foggy sometimes with the smoke and the smell of burnt wood hangs over the Cape..its only been like that the last few years but $150 worth of wood will see you through winter..

If I were retired and had around six months in the US..I would start off in FL and work my way up the East coast by May which is lovely here..that time of year motels are cheap it would work out better than owning...you could rent a town house or something in FL for a few months then move on..flying is so cheap to a lot of places you could really go anywhere..its only $70 for me to travel to FL from MA...the biggest cost is always car rental..
I know many people come to the US for the weather..but it is very extreme here sometimes..I miss the UK weather...being free to travel within the US is a lot better for early retirement ...most of my retired neighbours are in their late 80s and they drive all over the US to get away from the weather..

Osceola
10-12-2009, 21:43
My Florida air con bills are running about $550 per month. I can usually see a decline in bills in October but not the last two or three years. It was 15 degrees above normal in Florida a few days ago.

chrizzy100
10-12-2009, 23:32
Are you sure your AC is working right...my bill is not a quarter of that if I'm in FL high summer..I have the AC set at 76 when I'm there..my winter bills are about $60 if I'm there mostly morning heating.. one just came in at $35 with the house empty ...my bills drop a lot in winter ..

stevejones
16-01-2010, 14:57
Florida is really great location for America’s retirees to enjoy their golden years.
No other state offers the combination of warm weather, things to do, and accessibility that Florida can boast.And to add to it nowadays Florida real estate prices are also very affordable.So it right time you can buy in beautiful place to enjoy your retirement

SDJ
16-01-2010, 19:47
Unfortunately Steve, it is not an option for UK citizens to retire to Florida. Your Government simply will not allow it. I realise it may come as a surprise to you, as many American's are surprised when this subject is talked about. We may be 'Allies' but still not allowed to enjoy the benefits of Florida as retirees. If we are lucky enough to have a valid B1/B2 Visa, we can come for up to 180 days per annum. If we outstay by one day, we would not be allowed back. Unfortunately for us, that is the way it is.[msnoo]

Hope this helps you to understand a little more.

Sandra

Andrena
26-07-2011, 22:13
Just been reading this forum. We have several friends who spend about 6 months in Florida. They pay about £400 - £500 for travel insurance which they purchase in the UK. We, however, are friendly with an English couple who have, virtually, lived in Florida for around 4 years on B1/B2 visas. They go back for a couple of weeks to the UK and also go for a couple of weeks to stay with their son in Canada and for the rest of the year they live in their Florida home. They own a tiny flat in England that they use as their 'permanent' address. I have always been amazed that they get away with it, but they do. They are not bothered about medical care as they seem to be very wealthy, I think he was in the oil business in the middle east. So it seem to be possible, but I doubt that I would get away with it, probably get caught out.

Andrena