PDA

View Full Version : Masters Inn

scamhammer
25-12-2003, 21:33
I stayed here recently and it was not too good.

The rooms were very worn and ants were visible in the bathroom. I tried to ensure that the carpet was vacuumed by spilling some powder. It was not done.

The free breakfast was very poor and all but one of the staff seemed miserable.

I was surprised to see Virgin Holidays using this motel and the tour operator is considered up-market in the UK. I looked up the brochure price and was amazed how much profit they must be making.

The walk-up room rate was about average for US192.

Masters Inn is a small chain based in the southern USA. It is one to avoid in the future for this traveller.

florida4sun
25-12-2003, 22:18
I would avaiod all of the cheapy hotel/motels. Even the clean ones are very small. I cannot undersatnd why anyone would wish to stay in low budget accomodation for a vacation. I would sooner save for longer and have somewhere nice to stay.

big momma
18-09-2004, 17:39
Which of the Masters Inns did you stay at?

brizzle
18-09-2004, 18:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I would avaiod all of the cheapy hotel/motels. Even the clean ones are very small. I cannot undersatnd why anyone would wish to stay in low budget accomodation for a vacation. I would sooner save for longer and have somewhere nice to stay.[/quote]

Depends on your priorities and your situation.
If staying in a budget motel meant I could go to Florida twice a year instead of once I would stay in the budget motel. I would just spend most of my time at the parks or out eating or sleeping.

We now do Villas (which admittedly are a world apart) because we are in the lucky situation of being able to, however our honeymoon was spent in a Masters Inn because at that time money was tight.
We had a great time and it paved the way for us returning with our children the next 4 times (so far but many more to come).

The budget motels are a lot better then some of the mid-range rooms you get on holiday in Europe in my opinion.

Of course all IMHO

Brizzle

Magical Dreams
18-09-2004, 19:42
I agree with Brizzle, it depends on your situation.

Some families use these hotels/motels just for somewhere to sleep and take a shower.

Obviuosly Villas are worlds apart from these places.

My brother is a prime example, if it means saving a buck, then he will do it, even if it means staying in a cheap motel!!

But at least he is still going to Florida!! Thats how he looks at it!

traceydeb
18-09-2004, 23:42
We stayed in Howard Johnson Westgate. It was basic though the rooms were clean and the hotel was what you would compare to an upgraded European Hotel. We had a fantastic holiday, met loads of new people and had a realy brilliant time. You get what you pay for. Tomorrow we are going to a villa which will be more isolated but who cares we will be in FLORIDA[8D]

keith_jacqui
19-09-2004, 02:28
we have stayed at the Howard Johnson to it was good for what we wonted ,sleeping,showers. We tryed to get a discount as my husband is Keith Howard Johnson lol

traceya89
19-09-2004, 04:09
We tend to save on air fare by waiting until the last minute and going with airtours, etc, rather than virgin, aa, delta etc. would love to fly virgin but by the way i organise my trip to america means what i pay for my accomodation, airfare and car hire equals just a little above what i would pay just for the flight with virgin.

also i do think some of the low budget hotels in florida are better than some of the hotels you get when you stay in greece, spain, cyprus etc.

big momma
19-09-2004, 12:27
We will be staying at Masters Inn Main gate next year(October), and its only costing £3800 for seven (5 adults, one of which is a 17 year old and two teens age 16 and 13, for hotel 14 nights, 7 seater car and flights with Virgin holidays)but last year we had a villa and flew with Air2000 and it cost us £4800 for a group that had one adult less (3 adults and a 17, 15 and 11 year old) These hols are two years apart. The amount we save should help with spending money! I will tell you all if I regret these decisions when we've been!

Carla
19-09-2004, 17:22
Best of luck then big momma. I stayed in the Masters Inn in June 2000 when I was over for a week on my own buying furniture for my new home. I thought that for just me I wouldn't spend too much and save my money for my furniture!! I wish that I'd actually spent a few more dollars per night and got a decent room in a better hotel.

My room was small and basic to say the least but for one person the size was OK. The sheets were clean but the comforter had definitely seen better days.

This was the place where I had to keep my shoes on because if I walked on the carpet in socks or bare feet, then the soles of my feet were black within a short space of time. The carpet always felt damp too. The bathroom was musty and badly ventilated with black mould around the edges. You could just about get one person in there, as long as you don't like to stretch. The bath was not a normal length bath. I'd shower, dry my feet, put shoes and trainers on and then come out of the bathroom and finish drying off. Take your own towels too, because the ones provided make a handkerchief look big.

You will notice an incredibly big difference between the villa and this hotel. You will save money but you might find yourself very unpopular!!

You could have told the travel agent to forget their accomodation completely and for around £1000 you could have rented a 3 lovely bedroom villa direct from the owner.

big momma
19-09-2004, 17:34
Hi Carla, which one did you stay in?

Carla
19-09-2004, 17:39
I stayed in the one near Marker 10 on 192. I asked if they had any better rooms that I could change to and they said that they were all the same. I also asked if I could move to the Masters near Marker 4, but they said that it was exactly the same standard. You really need to check it out big momma. 14 nights is a long time when you hate the place that you go back to after a day out - I'd had more than enough after a couple of nights, but had paid for 7 nights and they wouldn't refund me. If my husband and kids had been there with me, then we would have just moved to another place, refund or no refund.

You're not going until October 2005 so why not tell your travel agent to take out the accomodation element completely and rent a 3 lovely bedroom villa direct from the owner. If you enquire on these sites then I can guarantee that you won't have any of the problems that I had in my Masters Inn room and I'd also bet good money that any villa from here will be streets ahead of the one that you stayed in last time because the better/best homes are never available for rent to Tour Operators.

huckleberry house
19-09-2004, 17:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by big momma
We will be staying at Masters Inn Main gate next year(October), and its only costing £3800 for seven (5 adults, one of which is a 17 year old and two teens age 16 and 13, for hotel 14 nights, 7 seater car and flights with Virgin holidays)but last year we had a villa and flew with Air2000 and it cost us £4800 for a group that had one adult less (3 adults and a 17, 15 and 11 year old) These hols are two years apart. The amount we save should help with spending money! I will tell you all if I regret these decisions when we've been!
[/quote]

Hi Big Momma

Your price comparisons sound like one travel agent booking compared to another.Neither of these prices sound paricularly good compared to what could have been obtained by doing it yourself. The carhire available from this site is very good value as are the flight prices also available from the links above and a quick browse at some of the Villas on here will show you how reasonably priced they are plus you would be able to choose exactly the right home for your family.

And there is no way that staying in any hotel is going to compare to the joys of having your own private pool, instantly accessible at any time of day or night.

The other issue on prices is the amount of money saved when staying in a villa especially on rest days ( which I cant imagine having in a hotel room ) with full kitchen facilities available breakfasts and snacks can be so much cheaper when they are fetched from your own fridge than having to buy everyone a coke etc when at a Hotel so even if the initial price is similar overall more will be spent when staying in a hotel and the enjoyment will be so much less.

Lesley

big momma
19-09-2004, 18:00
Dont seem to be able to get flights, and car rental any cheaper than this package deal, the one near marker 4 has been recently decorated- Im sure it will be fine- I hope! Our last villa at Windward Cay was beautiful but it was through a private rental company.

huckleberry house
19-09-2004, 18:08
Well its difficult to get flight prices yet for Oct 05 as the schedule airlines havent released them yet, even so though the package you are being offered will not compare to a private villa, how many bedrooms are you sharing in the hotel big momma ?

Lesley

Cruella DeVilla
19-09-2004, 18:09
Have to agree with Lesley about the rest days train of thought and comments in general. We have stayed in some decent hotels is Orlando but one night we had to go into one of the budget Motels and it was awful, Carla mentioning sticky dirty carpets brought it all back.

It is cheaper to do it all yourself, I think you pay for the convenince in a travel agents "package". Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a great time.

big momma
19-09-2004, 18:17
I am looking into it at this present moment, will get back to you all on the subject soon!

big momma
19-09-2004, 18:23
Lesley, We are having a suite with 2 doubles and a sofa bed and a standard room with 2 doubles.

blott
19-09-2004, 18:28
Crumbs! How many people in one room? How many bathrooms? For a fortnight? [msneek]

If you'd had a 3 bed villa for about £1000, a 7 seater on this site is £334 for two weeks which leaves you £2644 for your flights (ie £352 each) you'd have had a lot more space to spread out (and not get under each other's feet or on their nerves!) as well as your own pool, etc.

huckleberry house
19-09-2004, 18:55
Lesley, We are having a suite with 2 doubles and a sofa bed and a standard room with 2 doubles.
[/quote]

Sorry Big momma, I just couldnt cram so many people into such a small space and given the ages of your group what about privacy ? Are the teenagers having to sleep in a double bed together [:0] even if the cost was a little higher I would pay the difference willingly, I suspect you can rpobably get a 3 bed cheaper than £1000 or a 4 bed for around that price for October.Overall, with theme park tickets ,the holiday is still a fair sum of money and you do risk spoiling it if the accommodation is lousy or you dont have enough space.A little extra spent on accommodation will still only be a small percentage of the overall cost but will make all the difference to how much everyones enjoys themselves.Incidentally please be careful that insurance is included for the carhire in your quote, very often it isnt and you get hit with a large unexpected bill. The quotes from the link above are totally all inclusive with no hidden extras.

Lesley

E. Cosgrove
19-09-2004, 19:07
Dont seem to be able to get flights, and car rental any cheaper than this package deal, the one near marker 4 has been recently decorated- Im sure it will be fine- I hope! Our last villa at Windward Cay was beautiful but it was through a private rental company.
[/quote]
Car hire from this site is excellent value. In the summer we hired a 7 seater minivan in Colorado via an online car rental co (uk based).
We paid over £700 all inclusive for 17 nights[msnsad]
We have just hired the same vehicle for 9 nights in Florida for £233
Idon't know how that works out pro rata {Im no good at maths}but even given that car hire is marginally cheaper in Florida than in the South West it's still excellent value.[msnsmile2]
Shop around for cheap flights too, We have flights with US airlines for £253 + £80 tax and aer lingus are quoting 290 euros direct to MCO from Dublin {again not brilliant at maths but my other half tells me this is about £200}[msnsmile2]

big momma
19-09-2004, 19:30
Suite has 2 room and a standard room. There will be me and hubby in one bed, two daughters aged 17 & 18 in a double and 13 year old son on sofa bed. Mother in law and neice in room next door with a double bed each. Feeling very worried now, but its florida on the cheap or Skegness!

Carla
19-09-2004, 19:51
With 7 of you, you'll spend a lot in restaurants if you always have to eat every meal out, as you would in a hotel. I know they give you breakfast at the Masters Inn, but it's only incredibly weak coffee and a bagel or a muffin. This will become samey and pretty unbearable after a few days. I only tried it for a couple of mornings and then ended up at a Denny's down the road for the rest of my stay.

If you book a private villa then you could budget to eat in for your breakfasts (and everyone could have what they like), maybe BBQ for some dinners and do yourselves some packed lunches to take to the Parks with you. You could then eat out when you really wanted to.

You could also buy loads of bottled water and other soft drinks and keep these in the large fridge. It costs $2.50 for every bottle of water at a Park, and when I was there in July, I bought 48 bottles for just $10 from Wal-Mart, so I got 44 bottles FREE!!! We'd stick them in the freezer the night before we wanted them and take them to the Parks with us. They kept everything else lovely and cold and we could drink them whenever we wanted to.

You could easily cut your costs here and spend the savings on making sure that you have somewhere great to stay.

Even if you ate at the cheapest restaurants like Ponderosa, Sizzlers etc., you'd still spend a minimum of about $95 for dinner for 7 including tax and tip. Multiply that by 14 and you get $1330 and that's just for the cheapest meal and drink in the cheapest place.

blott
19-09-2004, 19:57
Suite has 2 room and a standard room. There will be me and hubby in one bed, two daughters aged 17 & 18 in a double and 13 year old son on sofa bed. Mother in law and neice in room next door with a double bed each. Feeling very worried now, but its florida on the cheap or Skegness![/quote]That's exactly the point we're trying to make - for what you've booked it isn't cheap! It just looks like it is as it's all lumped in together.

If you booked the components separately, ie villa, car rental and flights, it could be just about the same price but a whole heap better with a lot more space, your own private pool and cheap meals at your 'home'!

chrizzy100
19-09-2004, 20:26
I've been very lucky with hotels in Orlando over the years......we had one room that we could hear the traffic......but they moved us from there the next night.....

We get up at 7 in the morning and never get back till gone 11 at night....so we really only need a place to sleep......I've become lazy in our own villa....not going out....getting up late....etc.......I'm begining to feel like I'm not making the most of my time away...

SunLover
19-09-2004, 20:38
Big Momma

The advice that the other owners on this forum have given you is extremely good. I too would agree with all that has been said.

They are not trying to get you to rent their villas by saying what they do. They are merely concerned that you understand the implications of what you thought would be a budget holiday spiralling out of control cost wise.

Renting a Florida villa is perhaps one of the best value holiday accommodations anywhere in the world, when you consider all the great things that are included within the house, and not forgetting your own private pool.

When we first went to Florida (on a budget) we did the same as you are intending to do, and booked what looked like a great deal. We ended up paying way over the odds in reality, and found returning to a budget hotel at night really cramped and depressing. Even before we bought our own villa, whenever we returned to the US, we always booked things separately from then onwards, and saved lots of money in real terms by doing so.

Having so many family members in such a small space is never a good idea ~ to me it would be like Christmas Day with the family x 14 nights !!! More than a little stressful !!!

ellie
19-09-2004, 22:00
Oh, dear Big Momma, you certainly have a dilemma! What might have seemed a bargain may in reality turn out to be less than that.

I wonder how you are actually going to sleep all of your party, as we have a teenage girl and a boy who most definitely will not sleep together, and frankly I would not expect them to. Are your teenagers happy with having to sleep in the same bed? I also wonder if you have you ever slept on a sofa bed in one of these motels? They are simply the most uncomfortable things you can sleep on, bearable maybe for a single night if there was no choice, but for a fortnight, well back-ache will be the least of your worries - fights about who gets the sleeper sofa and who gets the real bed (shared or not!) will be a bigger nightmare. And of course, once it is made up, you have to climb over it or go under it to get anywhere in the room.

The one thing that puts us off, too, is the fact that many of these cheaper motels do not have inside corridors, and we wouldn't feel safe there. Also as everyone has to pass your door, and your only window, you will see that everyone keeps their curtains shut all day, so if you are stuck in there it is really gloomy.

Do you have girl teenagers? Then you will know that one bathroom between them is a constant source of aggravation, especially when you want to get to one of the parks early and they ALL want to do their hair, nails, make-up etc etc! And my daughter is still at the stage of changing into about 10 different outfits before she will go out of the door - in a small space watch for the explosions! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! Having said that, boys can be equally fussy with all their hair gels etc!

Actually renting one of these rooms is really really cheap if you do it via a US website, about £20 a night, so it would seem to me that the travel agent is taking a big profit on this, too.

There is very good advice here about renting a villa, and although I am a villa owner, and could be said to be biased, we could not accommodate a big party, so it makes no difference to me. However, I do think that the fantastic comfort you would have in a villa, several bathrooms, plus your own pool, freedom to come and go as you please, and the ability to eat at home if you want to - even if its only breakfast - as well as the space to spread all of the children out, makes it worth considering.

Also, as Lesley so rightly says, do check up on the car hire insurance situation as TCD are one of many who expect you to pay a huge 'top up' in order to cover you for the same level as is included on the link above.

As far as 'recently renovated' goes, this can cover a multitude of sins - you may well find that it is only some of the rooms that have been newly decorated, and sometimes the phrase 'newly renovated' means 2 or 3 years ago, so it would be worth checking if your rooms are actually new or not.

Whatever you decide, I really do hope that you all enjoy it, but if you are going to spend this much, then accommodation is the very last thing I would economise on.

Hope you have a lovely holiday and let us know how it goes.

Ellie

chrizzy100
19-09-2004, 22:14
Suite has 2 room and a standard room. There will be me and hubby in one bed, two daughters aged 17 & 18 in a double and 13 year old son on sofa bed. Mother in law and neice in room next door with a double bed each. Feeling very worried now, but its florida on the cheap or Skegness!
[/quote]

We've always done hotels holidays to FL.....and we've always had a great time.......don't worry.....our kids can't stand to be in the same room together most of the time........but in a hotel they really get on.....I just go and have fun........its cheaper to eat out in the States then to buy and cook yourself....trust me I live here......LOL!

Have a great holiday.......maybe next time you can look into villa rentals......and you'll have something to judge the costs against......
a holiday is what you make it......no matter where you end up sleeping.....:D:D

lisi
19-09-2004, 22:15
As a matter of interest - did you look at the prices to rent a villa? There is so much choice on this site - You would see that they do vary but would be far better value than a motel. So nice to have the freedom to do your own thing and you can get so fed up of eating out all the time. I echo all that has been said above - we never have much money and I never ever thought I would be renting a villa but having done it now it is so easy and made my dollars stretch much further than had I stayed in a hotel.:)

Lisi

fiona
19-09-2004, 22:26
We stayed in a hotel in Miami for just 2 nights with our teenagers last year. Despite being promised a large room with 2 king beds, it was a large room with a queen and a double sofa bed. The sofa bed couldn't open unless it hit the queen - so no room for anyone to nip out of bed for a visit to the bathroom without waking everyone up. Aircon was noisy and non-existent and carpet was exactly as Carla described above, no one dared walk round bare foot. Couldn't wait to move on and when we arrived at our villa it seemed like a palace by comparison.

I am sure yours will be fine BM, and do come back and tell us how it went. I think everyone has pointed out that for future visits you might do better by planning it all and renting direct from an owner. That's what we do now having paid through the nose from holiday companies and ending up in dumps!

big momma
19-09-2004, 22:35
In view of what we paid for last years separate private villa, car hire and flights, it still works out as cheap to book the hotel but not use it, just use the flights and car(which includes insurance), cos you get lots of discounts and free child etc, where as flight only and we're all classed as adults.But rest assured I am looking in to it. Flights were about £550(I think-but cant ask hubby cos hes asleep) with Air2000 last year. Which is £3850 based on 7.This whole holiday only cost 3800. So we are considering arriving on the Wed and staying at the hotel till saturday and taking a villa for a week and then return to the hotel to finish. What do ya reckon?

chrizzy100
19-09-2004, 22:54
In view of what we paid for last years separate private villa, car hire and flights, it still works out as cheap to book the hotel but not use it, just use the flights and car(which includes insurance), cos you get lots of discounts and free child etc, where as flight only and we're all classed as adults.But rest assured I am looking in to it. Flights were about £550(I think-but cant ask hubby cos hes asleep) with Air2000 last year. Which is £3850 based on 7.This whole holiday only cost 3800. So we are considering arriving on the Wed and staying at the hotel till saturday and taking a villa for a week and then return to the hotel to finish. What do ya reckon?
[/quote]

I think you should do whatever you and your family are happy with.......:D

ellie
20-09-2004, 01:59
Would suggest doing the hotel first and finishing off with the villa, as you may find you don't want to return to the hotel after the villa!

Ellie

huckleberry house
20-09-2004, 02:35
I agree with Ellie, if you are going to split it leave it till the last week to do the villa, do all the theme parks for the first week so you are just returning to the room and crashing and then relax a little more in the second week. That way as well you are only packing and moving once.

Lesley

Calamity Jane
20-09-2004, 10:07
I agree entirely with what every one on the boards has said and at the end of the day Big Momma as great and fantastic as Florida, is you are going to have a very heavy schedule with visiting the parks and shopping, not only do you need to enjoy but you need freedom as well.

Hotels and Motels are just fine and they serve their purpose but the freedom of a villa is priceless, the pro's outweigh the con's by miles.There really is no comparison.

Whatever you do though you will have a great time I am sure, good luck with your choice.:)

LiesaAnna
20-09-2004, 11:31
hi,
this is what my hubby wanted us to do, use the flights and car hire, the sunday papers always seem to have cheap flights, but i said it complicated things to much, i just want to get off the plane clear customs and car hire then off the villa and enjoy the holiday from the minute you get to the airport!!!!!!!!! and not have to think about anything other then having fun......:)

UKAllan
20-09-2004, 20:24
It amazes me how long people spend talking about the hotel v villa question.
If you are a large group WHY stay in a hotel?
Staying in a villa does NOT mean you have to cook :o)

chrizzy100
20-09-2004, 21:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by UKAllan
It amazes me how long people spend talking about the hotel v villa question.
If you are a large group WHY stay in a hotel?
Staying in a villa does NOT mean you have to cook :o)
[/quote]

I think the point is....that a lot of people say cooking in your villa brings down the cost of a holiday......and is therefore a plus to staying in a villa.....
we stay in hotels because we love them......we always rented homes before..mostly beach front.....I never stayed in a hotel until I was in my 30s.....(unless you count the odd night in a guest house)......and we just did so much together in the hotel as a family...we never looked back.....I found when we were in our villa in FL.......the kids went to their rooms to do stuff.....and it was just like being home......in a hotel......we sit and play games.....watch stupid movies and eat pizza........we get time together to talk about everything under the sun....its like being in the dorm at school...midnight feasts...etc..hotel are not everyones idea holiday....but after sharing a holiday home for years with friends and family.....I know that that can be a nightmare in some cases too.....we are all different......and want different things out of a holiday.......:D

bellaepovera
20-09-2004, 22:04
I cant agree on eating out is much cheaper then eating at home..Just look at breakfast(not counting going to Mcdonalds[xx(])A family of 4 going to a regular rest. will cost at least $10 a piece, plus a tip..for that kind of money cereal, juice toast, milk and even a grand breakfast of eggs and bacon and toast would not cost you that..except maybe for the whole week. I like to eat at home for breakfast and lunch if i am around and then go out for a nice dinner.
Just buying a cup of coffee or tea cost you over $2.00 and not to mention bottled water!!

stabard
20-09-2004, 22:49
Now I feel like a bad parent - I cannot bear to sleep in the same room as my kids. They are way too noisy - even when asleep:D. So afraid it will always be the villa option for me. Even more so now we own our own[msnwink]

big momma
20-09-2004, 23:34
Are villas always let on a saturday to saturday basis even in October?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-09-2004, 23:39
It depends on the owner and size of the villa.

Are villas always let on a saturday to saturday basis even in October?
[/quote]

brizzle
20-09-2004, 23:40
Not always, depends on the owner and bookings around your dates I think.
We booked Wednesday to Wednesday in April.

Brizzle

Tracey K
21-09-2004, 00:13
why not put out some general enquiries on these sites - owners who are prepared to take mid week bookings and have availability will be able to contact you and then you can consider what is availabile. We just all want you to have a great time when you get out there.

Ray&Sarah
21-09-2004, 00:42
No many owners are flexible.:)

chrizzy100
21-09-2004, 01:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by stabard
Now I feel like a bad parent - I cannot bear to sleep in the same room as my kids. They are way too noisy - even when asleep:D. So afraid it will always be the villa option for me. Even more so now we own our own[msnwink]
[/quote]

Trust me....we are nothing like the Waltons.......:D:D
My kids fight all year ....one is 16..a boy..and one is 23..a girl..but for those few days or weeks......its like they are whole new kids.....we've been doing this since my youngest was 3......they have never once moaned about staying in a hotel with us.....and they stay in villas etc with their grandparents on holiday....so they know what its like to have the two different holidays.....I asked my daughter last night about hotels stays... and she said she missed not having the hotel stay last year.....so it takes all sorts to make the world go round......:D

linda.s
21-09-2004, 03:02
I must say that when we last visited Florida (2 years ago) we stayed at the Quality Inn. Hmmmmm..... OK, it wasn't dreadful, but we didn't really enjoy it as much as friends who were in a villa. We did tend to use it as a place to sleep only, but that's where the drawback was for us...... There was no-where to go to relax when we were knackered! We had the 2 double beds, and a single camp bed as there were 5 of us, and yes, once the camp bed was up, you had to climb about to get to the toilet. I would only go to a hotel again if it were just hubby & I, but even then, I'm not sure! In fact, we went to a timeshare presentation one day, just to sit down for a few hours, and ended up buying a timeshare! Doh! However, we are using it this year for 2 weeks, and staying at Cypress Pointe, which is a nice resort and very close to Disney......... Only 12 days to go!!! YIPPEE! :D

phaedra
21-09-2004, 03:27
We've done both hotels and villas and now mix the two together!.

This December we're having 11 nights in a villa at Clear Creek (until the price hikes on the 18th!), dropping off our eldest at the airport (he comes home earlier than the rest of us - long story!) then we're off to Clearwater for a couple of days to vist friends in Spring Hill etc. than back to the Comfort Suites at Maingate East for the last 5 days, it's a nice hotel (silver medal winner) and I got an extra 15% off the best rates I could find anywhere on the net :D

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
21-09-2004, 13:17
I think you are definitely in the minority there Chrizzy. I know lots of families and not one would want to share a crampedf hotel with their children for two weeks whilst on vacation.

Personally I could think of nothing worse. I'm all for family time and everything but we all need our space and do not need to be on top of each other all the time to enjoy ourselves.

Last trip we did to Florida we did 2 nights in a really expensive hotel in Dallas (we thought we'd treat ourselves) and is was purgatory. Myself and Sarah spent all evening creeping round trying not to wake the children and of course they did wake up every so often, to tell us to be quiet. Not my idea of relaxation at all. We were SO glad to get back to the luxury of our villa and not have to rely on room service (with the inevitable inflated bill and obligatory tip) everytime the children wanted something as simple as a glass of milk.

There just is no comparison at all between the two. They are worlds apart.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

My kids fight all year ....one is 16..a boy..and one is 23..a girl..but for those few days or weeks......its like they are whole new kids.....we've been doing this since my youngest was 3......they have never once moaned about staying in a hotel with us.....and they stay in villas etc with their grandparents on holiday....so they know what its like to have the two different holidays.....I asked my daughter last night about hotels stays... and she said she missed not having the hotel stay last year.....so it takes all sorts to make the world go round......:D
[/quote]

huckleberry house
21-09-2004, 13:47
Yes I agree with you John.My family must be the total opposite of yours Chrizzy. We would end up killing each other having to share a Hotel room, once we are at the villa we really come together as a family, even though the Children still have their own rooms we spend our evenings swimming, playing table tennis, volleyball and we get the board games out. The only time we do have a real family get together instead of all doing our own thing like at home and we come away so much closer because of it. A Hotel would drive us so far apart by making us too close together :(

Lesley

jolliffee
21-09-2004, 20:17
Chrizzy I'm not having a go but you must have a floor to yourself, is it a self catering place you go to? Even when we have had two adjoining rooms with the 5 of us it’s been hopeless. The TV faces the wrong way so you end up sitting lying on the bed to see it. Then the kids are bored and just need to go and play video games or watch pay for view movies. The room service never has anything they want (even if it would fit on those tiny tables) so we end up in a restaurant to find they don’t like anything there either. The fridge isn’t big enough for my bottle of gin. there's nowhere to dry all the wet towels. The only time we use hotels now is when we stop on the way from A to B.

While I am a live and let live person and think there is a place for hotels, I just don’t see it with a family, I rather be in a tent!

I should say the greater group of us now equal 8 and we all had a villa holiday this year and it was great![msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
21-09-2004, 21:10
When it is just the two of us then a hotel is fine but when on a family holiday it is a nightmare. My two sons who have to share a bed are at each others throats by the end of a weekend let alone a week, by the end of two weeks they would have seperate beds, well one of them would, in prison.:D

chrizzy100
21-09-2004, 21:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
Chrizzy I'm not having a go but you must have a floor to yourself, is it a self catering place you go to? Even when we have had two adjoining rooms with the 5 of us it’s been hopeless. The TV faces the wrong way so you end up sitting lying on the bed to see it. Then the kids are bored and just need to go and play video games or watch pay for view movies. The room service never has anything they want (even if it would fit on those tiny tables) so we end up in a restaurant to find they don’t like anything there either. The fridge isn’t big enough for my bottle of gin. there's nowhere to dry all the wet towels. The only time we use hotels now is when we stop on the way from A to B.

While I am a live and let live person and think there is a place for hotels, I just don’t see it with a family, I rather be in a tent!

I should say the greater group of us now equal 8 and we all had a villa holiday this year and it was great![msnsmile2]

[/quote]

We have one room....and have a great time.....then we come home to the kids fighting and not getting on......I think I had a very lonely time in rental homes when I was younger....no matter how great the place was......when I found hotels.....the lobby.......and snack bars......it was like a whole new world......and I've passed on my love of hotels to my kids....the feeling of walking out my hotel room on my first trip to FL....I'll never forget......and everytime I've stayed in a hotel in FL...or anywhere for that matter...I've had that same feeling....I just love them....sorry....[8)][8)]

Carla
21-09-2004, 22:22
Why did you buy a home in Florida Chrizzy, that you don't rent out but just keep for you and your family if you all love staying in Florida hotels so much?? It doesn't make sense.

chrizzy100
21-09-2004, 22:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I think you are definitely in the minority there Chrizzy. I know lots of families and not one would want to share a crampedf hotel with their children for two weeks whilst on vacation.

Personally I could think of nothing worse. I'm all for family time and everything but we all need our space and do not need to be on top of each other all the time to enjoy ourselves.

Last trip we did to Florida we did 2 nights in a really expensive hotel in Dallas (we thought we'd treat ourselves) and is was purgatory. Myself and Sarah spent all evening creeping round trying not to wake the children and of course they did wake up every so often, to tell us to be quiet. Not my idea of relaxation at all. We were SO glad to get back to the luxury of our villa and not have to rely on room service (with the inevitable inflated bill and obligatory tip) everytime the children wanted something as simple as a glass of milk.

There just is no comparison at all between the two. They are worlds apart.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

There is no comparison at all between a villa and a hotel.......I agree.....and there never should be one made.....but if someones booked a hotel room already...they need advice on making the most of it....and how it can be fun......and really not to be told they have done the wrong thing....people have been having great holidays in hotels for years.......and maybe after finding a site like this they go on to book a villa holiday at a later date ..and then like most of the people here wonder how they ever stayed in a hotel..... but...I would myself be very upset if someone told me my holiday would be the pits because we only had money for a hotel room........if you get my point....:D

E. Cosgrove
21-09-2004, 22:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
When it is just the two of us then a hotel is fine but when on a family holiday it is a nightmare. My two sons who have to share a bed are at each others throats by the end of a weekend let alone a week, by the end of two weeks they would have seperate beds, well one of them would, in prison.:D
[/quote]
OMG they sound just like my two Sarah!![msnoo][msneek]

chrizzy100
21-09-2004, 22:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Carla
Why did you buy a home in Florida Chrizzy, that you don't rent out but just keep for you and your family if you all love staying in Florida hotels so much?? It doesn't make sense.
[/quote]

My husband lost his job......so we were moving down there......when he got his job back....we put off the move so my son could finish school here in MA.....:D

big momma
21-09-2004, 23:10
Thanks Chrizzy, I am sure we will be fine in our hotel,my kids are chilled out and dont really argue, theres only 18 months between my daughters and they share a bedroom, so they'll be fine. My sons favourite pastime is sleeping in his tent on only a floor mat so a sofa bed will feel great to him. Theres two telly's so we can even watch different programmes if we want. Its true our villa last year was fantastic but its hard when one person (my hubby) has to pay for 5 people plus help his mum and niece out who are coming too. The facts are I would love a villa but cant afford it! I am trying to gather more funds to have a villa part of the time. I am expecting to use the hotel as a place to sleep, wash and have a bowl of cereals in the morning, plus the hotel has a microwave and fridge(To keep my beer cold).

chrizzy100
21-09-2004, 23:48
Thanks Chrizzy, I am sure we will be fine in our hotel,my kids are chilled out and dont really argue, theres only 18 months between my daughters and they share a bedroom, so they'll be fine. My sons favourite pastime is sleeping in his tent on only a floor mat so a sofa bed will feel great to him. Theres two telly's so we can even watch different programmes if we want. Its true our villa last year was fantastic but its hard when one person (my hubby) has to pay for 5 people plus help his mum and niece out who are coming too. The facts are I would love a villa but cant afford it! I am trying to gather more funds to have a villa part of the time. I am expecting to use the hotel as a place to sleep, wash and have a bowl of cereals in the morning, plus the hotel has a microwave and fridge(To keep my beer cold).
[/quote]

Well if you have cold beer and pizza delivery what more do you need.....[8D]

We have done Orlando on the real cheap ...and that was the one time we had a bad room......but we were up all night laughing at my hubby for being so grumpy about it..he would moan about....the A/C I think it was...then the fire alarm...and a few more little things.....one of us would start to laugh and set the others off....and hubby saying 'I don't know what you are all finding so funny' in his best grumpy voice...would send us into fit of laughter again......he did see the funny side the next day after they moved us.....
Anyway.....I know you'll have a great time......[8D][8D]

lisi
23-09-2004, 22:53
Its a good job we are not all the same and I am sure Big Momma you will have a great time in your hotel. You seem to have the right attitude towards it, so even if there are a few downs you will have a laugh trying to put them right! And who cares as long as your beer is cold!:D

Lisi

Ray&Sarah
23-09-2004, 23:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ray&Sarah
[/quote]
OMG they sound just like my two Sarah!![msnoo][msneek]
[/quote]

There can't be another two surely!!!!:D[msnwink]:D

big momma
03-10-2004, 22:36
For all those who gave me advice- Get the villa you all said- I have booked the villa for the whole two weeks so I dont need the budget hotel room. Looking forward to my hols now with no worries- its the same villa that we used last year so we know what to expect. Only 12 months to go![msneek]

huckleberry house
03-10-2004, 22:49
Hi Big momma I for one and very pleased for you, I am absolutely certain you have done the right thing and will have a far better time because of it, congratulations [clap][clap]

Lesley

Jules
04-10-2004, 00:36
Hi Big Momma,

I think you have definitely made the right decision. The last time we stayed in a hotel with the kids it was hell, I vowed never again as I thought I might have killed my daughter who had a habit of locking herself in the bathroom for hours at a time. We have stayed in villas ever since and have now bought one of our own. We find it is cheaper because of the reasons mentioned before eating breakfast in and buying soft drinks and bottled water from the supermarkets etc. Now you can relax and look forward to a great holiday.

ditto
12-10-2004, 22:16
If someone wants budget accomodation i can recommend Microtel
it is just behind International Drive, on Canada Avenue. We usually
go to Florida (myself, hubbie and son)for 4 weeks at a time, twice a year. We stay at the Microtel and visit all the parks etc spending most of the days out and then stay in either luxury accomodation or villa. Microtel is at time of writing approx. £24 per night per room including continental breakfast(which is very nice). The place is spotlessly clean which is very important. I to have stayed at places where I would not take my shoes off. If you`re on a budget its a good place to stay. Only downside the pool is not heated brrr but we don`t use the pool as we only use it as a base for the parks.
Mandy