PDA

View Full Version : Tampa to Miami

Narrator
07-08-2009, 12:47
Hello everyone, we are staying in Bradenton and fancy taking a day trip to Miami. Has anybody got any idea how long this could take? Also is there a scenic route as opposed to a long motorway drive?
Look forward to hearing from you.

3 days to go and can't wai

ShirleyD
07-08-2009, 13:29
It is a 4 hour drive using the I 75 and that doesn't allow for traffic on the last 10 miles. !!!
If you want Scenic, why not just drive down the coast to Englewood or maybe ft Myers or Naples, they are all lovely places to visit

Mo Green
07-08-2009, 13:42
Your are looking at a 500 mile return trip just taking the motor way which seems a long way to drive in a day.

Mo

sunseeker
07-08-2009, 23:14
you could take the Tamiami Trail, thats about as scenic as it gets, its 275 miles from Tampa to Miami with mostly swamps and canals all the way. Its a very long way for a day out.

Dave

Clare R
08-08-2009, 02:43
Tamiami Trail (road 41) from Tampa southwards, goes through Sarasota, Venice, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Fort Myers then Naples - hardly a description of swamps and canals. Having got to Naples and turning east admittedly the enviroment changes to that which is similar to Alligator Alley but there is no way it could be done as a day trip to Miami and back on the 41.

Katys Grandad
08-08-2009, 07:47
It's not a lot different from a Londoner having a day out in the Lake District - except the Lake District is much more attractive.[msnwink]

Narrator
09-08-2009, 01:01
Quite like the idea of going down the coastal route but I guess I need to stay overnight somewhere. What are the chances of finding a cheap hotel for the night. Has anyone any suggestions?

Clare R
09-08-2009, 01:39
I would suggest breaking your trip at Naples where the 41 takes a left-hand bend and then you pay a toll to go across Alligator Alley - a preferable route to the 41 frankly for that stretch.

Just off the 41 or 75 at the 'Naples Bend' are several of the chain hotels/motels.

Pookie
09-08-2009, 13:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I would suggest breaking your trip at Naples where the 41 takes a left-hand bend and then you pay a toll to go across Alligator Alley - a preferable route to the 41 frankly for that stretch.
[/quote]Sorry I have to disagree that Alligator Alley is a preferable route to 41, great if you are in a rush to catch a flight as it is interstate but boring.
However US41 is far more scenic with stopping spots so you can see Alligators/wildlife etc in natural habitat.
The downside, it is mostly single lane so if you get stuck behind the boaters it does lengthen the journey on this route.
From Rotonda West we have done the journey to Miami in 2 1/2 hours, on I75 (not to be recommended) but you really need to allow 3 to 4 hours and add the 2 1/2 hours from Orlando airport to Rotonda West, 6 hours one way is not far of the mark.

The other option would be across country to the East coast and then down to Miami this maybe a tad shorter in terms of driving but it is many years since we used this route so do not know how the traffic would be.

It is a long drive for one night; I would be inclined to take 2/3 days and meander rather than rush.
Stop in Sarasota for an early lunch and take in Armanyd Circle and Siesta Key, head down to Venice/Englewood, take a look at the historic districts and then the beaches of Englewood, then head to Fort Myers and maybe stop here or Bonita Springs for the night. If you leave early the next day you should be in Miami mid morning which would give you a day and half in Miami which would enable you to see some of this vibrant city. You could then head back to Bradenton thru central Florida on the third day.

Have fun
Lynne