PDA

View Full Version : tom tom problems

Steve Robbins
06-08-2009, 21:28
Hi all
just read shona's problem and wondered if this was a common problem as we are thinking of buying the download for florida region for our tom tom rather than hire one out there and dont want to waste our time and money.
steve

florida4sun
06-08-2009, 21:44
It should be easy but reality is we do have trouble getting the maps on the units. I am just on the phone to tomtom now, 17th day and no map! Once they are on there should be no issues if the unit is set up properly. Make sure your tom tom has enough space for the map, not all do.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Steve Robbins
Hi all
just read shona's problem and wondered if this was a common problem as we are thinking of buying the download for florida region for our tom tom rather than hire one out there and dont want to waste our time and money.
steve
[/quote]

Steve Robbins
06-08-2009, 22:01
Thanks Martin in that case would you recommed renting a sat nav from the car hire company as opposed to downloading?
steve

florida4sun
06-08-2009, 22:22
Mmmm I may be biased as it is me that handles the rentals ... Thats why I have good knowledge of maps.

Thanks Martin in that case would you recommed renting a sat nav from the car hire company as opposed to downloading?
steve
[/quote]

Steve Robbins
06-08-2009, 23:26
Martin
If we choose to rent one from you then would it be with us before the 25th Aug
steve

florida4sun
06-08-2009, 23:40
Yes no problem at all.

Martin
If we choose to rent one from you then would it be with us before the 25th Aug
steve
[/quote]

SDJ
07-08-2009, 04:23
We have a Tom Tom that we take with us to US as it has both UK and US already on it. Hubby knows the model, but he is not around to ask.

Sandra

Lyn
07-08-2009, 22:18
Sorry, I seem to be missing something here, what is the problem with the Tom Tom?

florida4sun
07-08-2009, 22:24
Someone had downloaded maps and just got their position on blank screen, corrective measures were offered.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
Sorry, I seem to be missing something here, what is the problem with the Tom Tom?
[/quote]

Sniff
09-08-2009, 17:10
Hi all
steve
[/quote]
Common? Not in my experience. I have a 920T and have loaded all the map updates in the last couple of years, plus the user updates, POIs etc, all with no issues.

Martin clearly deals with more units than I do (ie more than 1 :D) but I find the TT units extremely reliable.

Steve Robbins
09-08-2009, 20:14
thanks for all the info guys much appreciated
steve

Lyn
10-08-2009, 01:32
I bought a 520 and then the american maps, which I put on a Compact Flash card, I had a few problems with uploading updates. but never with the maps themselves, my only problem is that by the time it has found the satalite link I am already out of the airport and lost[msnembarrased] but it always get me back on track.

florida4sun
10-08-2009, 01:38
You need to update and download the gps quick fix points just before you go away.

I bought a 520 and then the american maps, which I put on a Compact Flash card, I had a few problems with uploading updates. but never with the maps themselves, my only problem is that by the time it has found the satalite link I am already out of the airport and lost[msnembarrased] but it always get me back on track.
[/quote]

RoyalMarineCommando
10-08-2009, 04:01
Hi,
I have a tom tom 930 and when you switch to the US map a blank screen appears because you are using the UK satellites and not the ones over the US.You can't use the US map when in the UK.

Sniff
10-08-2009, 15:43
[/quote]
As Martin says, downloading the GPS Quick Fix data just before you leave UK (via TT HOME) will definitely speed up satellite detection. The data is valid for a few days so you should be OK to do it before you leave. Also, wait until the unit gets a sat lock before you drive off. It will take MUCH longer to get a sat lock if you are moving.

Sniff
10-08-2009, 15:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RoyalMarineCommando
Hi,
I have a tom tom 930 and when you switch to the US map a blank screen appears because you are using the UK satellites and not the ones over the US.You can't use the US map when in the UK.
[/quote]
It depends what you want to do. Of course your GPS location is outside of the current map so you cannot do navigation. But you can certainly switch to the US maps and add POIs, Favourites, do A-B route planning etc which can be very useful.

FYI there are not "UK satellites" and "US satellites". Contrary to popular belief the GPS satellites are NOT in geostationary orbit. They are in fact constantly circling the Earth, and that's why the GPS Quick Fix (so-called ephemeral data, which tells the satnav units where the satellites will be at any given time) is crucial to helping it find a sat lock. This is particularly important if you switch off your unit in location A and switch it back again in location B, which is (in this case) thousands of miles away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS

Lyn
10-08-2009, 17:28
Thanks Keith, but when picking up an Alamo car at Orlando International, you are in a multi storey car park, don't think I would ever get satellite detection whilst sitting there would I?

Sniff
10-08-2009, 17:44
Thanks Keith, but when picking up an Alamo car at Orlando International, you are in a multi storey car park, don't think I would ever get satellite detection whilst sitting there would I?
[/quote]
You'd be surprised - The new SIRF III receivers are quite sensitive. But just to be on the safe side I always download the GPS Quickfix the day before I go to US...it really does make a difference.

sunseeker
10-08-2009, 22:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff
[/quote]
You'd be surprised - The new SIRF III receivers are quite sensitive. But just to be on the safe side I always download the GPS Quickfix the day before I go to US...it really does make a difference.
[/quote]

i too download the GPS quickfix the day before i go, i have a 920T and it finds satellites in the MCO car park no problem.

Dave

Frosty
11-08-2009, 13:59
It may help some of you if you understand the TT a little more.

If you consider it a small computer with files you can copy and remove just like your normal PC.

I tell you this for the reason that you can copy your existing UK or Western Europe map to your PC to free up space if you can't fit the USA map on there. Just store the UK map on your PC and delete from the device. Then download the USA map to your device.

It is also a good idea to make a full backup of your device to a folder on your PC. Don't use the backup facility on TTHome as this is known to be very unrealiable.
Instead just select the TT and copy its entire contents to a suitably named folder on your home PC.

This is important as you need to have at least one backup of your maps somewhere other than your device. The reason, if your device ever crashes and you lose your data, its easy to download the software back using TTHome but you can't get another copy of your maps from them without having to pay again.
Therefore you should have at least one copy somewhere else as you can then copy it back to your device.

Oh and if your starting to have ideas about copying to another device, this doesn't work as the maps are sofware keyed to their own device only.
So it won't work, unless you use some pirated software to defeat the key.

I'm an active member of a TT forum which can answer most problems that you will come across. Feel free to ask away any problems.

florida4sun
11-08-2009, 14:54
Tomtoms are great until you need to use there help service, which is run by complete idiots! hey have a habit of not giving the right key for new maps, which means it does not match to your unit. I am now on my 4th week with two brand new units and no maps. The help center is completely useless and does not even know its own product (to be fair I found this with makes to). When they are setup TT are great.
If you are going to buy a unit, but one big enough for two full sets of maps, do not be copying map sets backwards and forwards.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty

If you consider it a small computer with files you can copy and remove just like your normal PC.

I tell you this for the reason that you can copy your existing UK or Western Europe map to your PC to free up space if you can't fit the USA map on there. Just store the UK map on your PC and delete from the device. Then download the USA map to your device.

It is also a good idea to make a full backup of your device to a folder on your PC. Don't use the backup facility on TTHome as this is known to be very unrealiable.
Instead just select the TT and copy its entire contents to a suitably named folder on your home PC.

This is important as you need to have at least one backup of your maps somewhere other than your device. The reason, if your device ever crashes and you lose your data, its easy to download the software back using TTHome but you can't get another copy of your maps from them without having to pay again.
Therefore you should have at least one copy somewhere else as you can then copy it back to your device.

Oh and if your starting to have ideas about copying to another device, this doesn't work as the maps are sofware keyed to their own device only.

I'm an active member of a TT forum which can answer most problems that you will come across. Feel free to ask away any problems.
[/quote]

BarryR
11-08-2009, 20:47
Glad to read all these comments, we are out again in 2 weeks and for the first time will be taking a TT 920T with us. I have set up all the favourites already and noticed that I can ask through the POI's where the nearest cash dispenser is !
Can't wait to play with it for real in 2 weeks.[8D]

Sniff
11-08-2009, 20:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by BarryR

Glad to read all these comments, we are out again in 2 weeks and for the first time will be taking a TT 920T with us. I have set up all the favourites already and noticed that I can ask through the POI's where the nearest cash dispenser is !
Can't wait to play with it for real in 2 weeks.[8D]
[/quote]
I also have a 920T and I find it invaluable. Make sure you use HOME to download both the MapShare updates and the GPS Quickfix before you leave!

One point regarding the MapShare updates - despite HOME asking me which map I want to update (I have Europe on the device and USA on SD card) I have found that I must switch to the US map before connecting to HOME, and then run the Update, in order to get the MapShare updates for USA.

The GPS Quickfix file is only required where you run the application (most likely the device itself rather than the SD card)

Frosty
12-08-2009, 03:13
Martin,

Why would you tell someone not to copy maps back and forth?

Some people will have already bought so to tell them to buy one big enough to hold 2 maps could be redundant.

Yes they can buy SD cards if the device accepts them, but it is perfectly safe to copy and swap maps between device and machine, especially if they are PC literate.

Also as i said, everyone should have at least one backup of their maps on their home PC.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
Tomtoms are great until you need to use there help service, which is run by complete idiots! hey have a habit of not giving the right key for new maps, which means it does not match to your unit. I am now on my 4th week with two brand new units and no maps. The help center is completely useless and does not even know its own product (to be fair I found this with makes to). When they are setup TT are great.
If you are going to buy a unit, but one big enough for two full sets of maps, do not be copying map sets backwards and forwards.

[/quote]
[/quote]

florida4sun
12-08-2009, 10:44
Pleaae ead my full quote 'if you are going to buy'. If you already have a unit with a small storage area then you would be stuck with having to move maps backwards and forwards. Not all models have SD card slots.

Martin,

Some people will have already bought so to tell them to buy one big enough to hold 2 maps could be redundant.

Yes they can buy SD cards if the device accepts them, but it is perfectly safe to copy and swap maps between device and machine, especially if they are PC literate.

Also as i said, everyone should have at least one backup of their maps on their home PC.

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Frosty
12-08-2009, 13:35
if you read my quote, i said "yes they can buy SD cards if the device accepts them"

Pleaae ead my full quote 'if you are going to buy'. If you already have a unit with a small storage area then you would be stuck with having to move maps backwards and forwards. Not all models have SD card slots.

Martin,

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

florida4sun
12-08-2009, 14:24
So you did, well done you :)

if you read my quote, i said "yes they can buy SD cards if the device accepts them"

Martin,

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Steve Robbins
13-08-2009, 14:31
Well we have bit the bullet and bought the download map, as its so close to departure date (13 days, 1 hour, 58 mins, but who's counting) will it still be neccessary to buy the gps quikfix and poi updates etc before we go or should it still be current enough to have any of these items on it.
steve

BarryR
13-08-2009, 14:51
Thanks Sniff.

Yes I knew about selecting the US map before connecting to TT Home.

But does anyone know if you pay and download the latest maps whether your favourite places are preserved during the upgrade ?

I assume that the favourites are saved in a file, but wonder if it is overwriten with the latest map download. Anyone have experience of this ?

And yes I have both a backup and copies of the TT files on my PC.

Sniff
13-08-2009, 19:39
Well we have bit the bullet and bought the download map, as its so close to departure date (13 days, 1 hour, 58 mins, but who's counting) will it still be neccessary to buy the gps quikfix and poi updates etc before we go or should it still be current enough to have any of these items on it.
steve
[/quote]
Hi Steve. You don't need to buy the GPS quickfix...it is free, and downloadable via the HOME application. Whenever you run HOME to update your satnav unit it should offer you to download and install the GPS Quick fix. I always accept this, because it does no harm, and it's a small file. It simply contains the so-called Ephemeral data that tells what satellites will be where for the next few days (I think the data is valid for 7 days, but don't quote me on that). You don't strictly need it, but it will help your satnav unit get a sat lock more quickly, provided the ephemeral data is still valid (therefore I always make sure I download the GPS quickfix a day or two before I go away).

Regarding POIs (Points Of Interest)...a POI is just a Label, and a set of coordinates that identify the location of that Point Of Interest so it can be navigated to. You can add your own POIs via the satnav unit, but many people have prepared lists already which can be useful for you.

There are free POI lists and chargeable ones. Many free ones are already on your satnav when you bought it (railway stations, airports, hotels, etc etc). Many more are avaliable free of charge either downloadable via HOME or sometimes from other websites. These are often lists of shops or banks or ATMs for example. Many others are downloadable for a charge (again via HOME or other websites) and these chargeable ones are usually specific ones like lists of WIFI hotspots or a particular hotel chain, for example.

More and more companies are using POIs as a marketing tool, so you should check (for example) store websites to see if they provide a downloadable list of their stores as POIs.

Sniff
13-08-2009, 23:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by BarryR

But does anyone know if you pay and download the latest maps whether your favourite places are preserved during the upgrade ?

I assume that the favourites are saved in a file, but wonder if it is overwriten with the latest map download. Anyone have experience of this ?
[/quote]
Hi Barry. Yes, your favourites, and all your other settings, are preserved when you do a map upgrade.

Frosty
14-08-2009, 02:33
Not nescessarily true.

It can depend on the scale of the map update that TT release. If its a major one you can expect to lose the fav's. If its a minor update then it may keep them.

Thing to do is make a full explorer backup of your device before doing any updates. You can then salvage the fav's if they are lost.

The other thing to do is make a custom POI and save all your fav destinations in there instead, as the POI's copy across.

Sniff
14-08-2009, 11:52
Not nescessarily true.

It can depend on the scale of the map update that TT release. If its a major one you can expect to lose the fav's. If its a minor update then it may keep them.

Thing to do is make a full explorer backup of your device before doing any updates. You can then salvage the fav's if they are lost.

The other thing to do is make a custom POI and save all your fav destinations in there instead, as the POI's copy across.
[/quote]
I think I must be lucky then, as I have replaced both the entire Western Europe and the entire USA map on mine in the past and never had an issue. But TT never release part maps for purchase..it's always a full map, even if only 5% has changed, which is why the download takes so long.

But I do agree with Frosty that you should always do a backup before you upgrade your maps, just in case it goes wrong.

Also it's a good suggestion to use your own POI category rather than Favourites - the number of favourites you can store is limited. Also with a POI you canset warnings when you get close to them.

Kiddie001
08-02-2010, 16:17
Im off to Florida at easter and am thinking of downloading the US map and taking my UK Tom Tom.
I can only find the complete USA map on the Tom Tom site, but I have read elsewhere that a download is available of just Florida.
Anyone know if this is correct, or is it old info?
Im there for 2 weeks and very unlikely to use anything other than Orlando/Gulf Coast area let alone the rest of the USA map again for the forseeable future, so it seems a bit of a waste to have to buy the whole country.
cheers
Ian

hazelk
08-02-2010, 17:50
Ian

My hubby got the USA map last year for his Tom Tom, he says as he had the room for it he was happy to load it.

He has suggested you have a look at the IPMART forum for Tom Toms.

We are heading out again to Florida on the 22nd April for three weeks, two of which we are touring around so we will certainly use our map.

Good luck and have a wonderful holiday.

Frosty
11-02-2010, 23:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kiddie001
Im off to Florida at easter and am thinking of downloading the US map and taking my UK Tom Tom.
I can only find the complete USA map on the Tom Tom site, but I have read elsewhere that a download is available of just Florida.
Anyone know if this is correct, or is it old info?
Im there for 2 weeks and very unlikely to use anything other than Orlando/Gulf Coast area let alone the rest of the USA map again for the forseeable future, so it seems a bit of a waste to have to buy the whole country.
cheers
Ian
[/quote]

Ian it used to be that you could buy a map just for Florida but it seems the smallest map avaialable now is USA as opposed to North America. It also depends which model you have as to which map you are offered. The TT website is automated so you just enter your model and it the offers you the correct maps.