PDA

View Full Version : General Advice on Driving in Florida

staffsbhoy
31-07-2009, 00:59
Hi,

I am off to Florida in 3 weeks time and I was just after some advice on a few points whilst driving. In no particular order can the experts out there offer some answers on the following:

a. Are the Pumps colour coded the same as in UK/Europe ie unleaded green, diesel black etc.
b. I'm sure I have read that you pay for your "gas" first and then fill up is that correct?
c. Tolls what is the best means of payment. If cash what "coinage" or "notes" are taken. Are all tolls unmanned or are some manned. Do you have to go into specific lanes at the tolls?
d. Can you offer an up to date price for "gas" at the pumps just so I can estimate possible expenditure?
e. Any other tips/advice much appreciated!!

many thanks in advance[msncool]

mfairhurst
31-07-2009, 02:37
The gas was $2.43 when we came home on the 20 JULY it had gone down each week when we were there .
As the barrel of oil has gone down again my be it has gone down again now .
We had a Dodge Charger so it all helps and we got lots of miles from it has they are all automatic.
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683

Dads_Taxi
31-07-2009, 02:52
Just to clarify, Blott means that UK cards don't work for "Pay At Pump". Obviously you can pay for your gas with UK cards inside the gas station.

Also to clarify, there are some unmanned toll booths which ONLY take coins, 75c I think, hence the need for Quarters. For some reason, people seem to think that throwing a dollar bill in the coin-bucket will work. It doesn't.

Lastly, good tip here -quite often the petrol pump, er, gas pump, will not work until you lift up a pointless lever on the pump. I have no idea what this used to do in the olden days, but in the 21st Century of microprocessors I'm fairly certain this lever could now be superceded. However MANY pumps still require you to lift it before you can get your gas.

And Lastly (again), when you have filled your car with gas, remember to get in the driver's side of the car, not the passenger side, to avoid embarrassment. This comes from personal experience.

Katys Grandad
31-07-2009, 08:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
We had a Dodge Charger so it all helps and we got lots of miles from it has they are all automatic.
MAUREEN [/quote]I don't know just why Maureen but Automatics actually use more fuel than a manual gearbox and in some cases the difference is surprising, but at that price it doesn't exactly break the bank.

I've been driving automatics in the UK for many years and there's a significant cost difference in fuel terms over here.

bargainqueen
31-07-2009, 12:23
a. Are the Pumps colour coded the same as in UK/Europe ie unleaded green, diesel black etc.

I've never been given a diesel car so can't comment on the colour of the pump.

b. I'm sure I have read that you pay for your "gas" first and then fill up is that correct?

On my first trip when I went inside the gas station the attendant suggested I leave $20, also that I should use the cheapest fuel as it was only a hire care. I think I had to go back and get the change but fuel was a lot cheaper then, around 99c a gal and I had hired a small car. We now hire SUV's and we found that $20 fills up 1/2 tank but I think in March it was around $2. Good advice about the lever at the pump, you can also use a clip to keep the lever on the fuel nozzle depressed when refueling (wish they had the same device here)

c. Tolls what is the best means of payment. If cash what "coinage" or "notes" are taken. Are all tolls unmanned or are some manned. Do you have to go into specific lanes at the tolls?

Most tolls are manned and are clearly marked which ones to use. From memory they are on the right hand lane, on 417 Florida Greeneway you have to to into a slip road to pay at toll. Most tolls are a $1, it's when you exit from the 417 that you find the unmanned tolls (50c) On previous threads people have thrown in English coins and the barrier has gone up. You can prepay the tolls when you pick up your hire car but I've never done this as we only use the tolls to and from the airport. Perhaps someone else can explain how this works.

d. Can you offer an up to date price for "gas" at the pumps just so I can estimate possible expenditure?

e. Any other tips/advice much appreciated!!

Don't forget you can turn right at traffic lights unless there is a sign forbidding it. The road signs you can see overhead at junctions are telling you the name of the road you are crossing (if that makes sense). It took me ages to realise this, very important when you're trying to navigate and drive at same time.

[msnscared]

Sniff
31-07-2009, 13:35
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
MAUREEN [/quote]I don't know just why Maureen but Automatics actually use more fuel than a manual gearbox and in some cases the difference is surprising, but at that price it doesn't exactly break the bank.

I've been driving automatics in the UK for many years and there's a significant cost difference in fuel terms over here.
[/quote]
Strange...in theory you should get better mileage from an automatic because you are always in the correct gear (compared to a manual where you are reliant upon the driver to change gear to keep the engine in the 'sweet spot')

But I must admit I have never driven an automatic and manual version of the same car to be able to compare apples with apples

ncmurray
31-07-2009, 15:58
And Lastly (again), when you have filled your car with gas, remember to get in the driver's side of the car, not the passenger side, to avoid embarrassment. This comes from personal experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave.

Dave, you made me laugh when I read this:D I have quite often done this, and found myself sitting in the passenger seat waiting for the car to move[msnembarrased]

Nuala

sunseeker
01-08-2009, 02:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff

[/quote]
Strange...in theory you should get better mileage from an automatic because you are always in the correct gear (compared to a manual where you are reliant upon the driver to change gear to keep the engine in the 'sweet spot')

But I must admit I have never driven an automatic and manual version of the same car to be able to compare apples with apples
[/quote]

The reason your auto box uses more fuel is down to the fact that drive is obtained through using oil as a link between your engine and eventually the drive shaft. A manual is direct drive through hard mechanical parts so a lot less drag.

Dave

staffsbhoy
01-08-2009, 02:52
Hi,

Many many thanks for all the replies!! Getting into the drivers seat I suppose is very important!! Whilst driving left hand drive cars (in Europe) have you ever used your left hand attempting to change gear and instead almost wind the window down??? I have (idiot!!) cheers everybody as usual great advice offered on the forum!!

Sniff
01-08-2009, 19:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker

[/quote]

[/quote]

The reason your auto box uses more fuel is down to the fact that drive is obtained through using oil as a link between your engine and eventually the drive shaft. A manual is direct drive through hard mechanical parts so a lot less drag.

Dave
[/quote]
Well most auto boxes these days use lock-up on the torque convertors so there isn't a great deal of loss in the transmission.

chrizzy100
01-08-2009, 20:40
I still get in the wrong seat after living here 9 years...
But if I see a car show where I'm sitting in a car driving in England it scares me to death..it just seems right to drive on the side the US does...not sure how I would cope in the UK now...screaming as I drive most likely...[msnscared][msnscared]

sunseeker
01-08-2009, 23:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dave
[/quote]
Well most auto boxes these days use lock-up on the torque convertors so there isn't a great deal of loss in the transmission.
[/quote]

your car will not be using lock up at idle or during acceleration where fuel consumption is at its greatest, hence lower mpg in auto's.

Dave

staffsbhoy
11-08-2009, 22:08
hi again. Just one other quick question about tolls. I've got the info on exit from tolls payment etc. However, what happens on entry do you take a ticket and the barrier goes up or are they "personned" and a ticket is issued. Thinking in particular about the very first trip on transfer from sanford to villa(so I know what to expect). How do they know your point of entry and then of course the correct cost that you owe. Thanks again in advance!! cheers

Sniff
11-08-2009, 23:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by staffsbhoy
hi again. Just one other quick question about tolls. I've got the info on exit from tolls payment etc. However, what happens on entry do you take a ticket and the barrier goes up or are they "personned" and a ticket is issued. Thinking in particular about the very first trip on transfer from sanford to villa(so I know what to expect). How do they know your point of entry and then of course the correct cost that you owe. Thanks again in advance!! cheers
[/quote]
Short answer - they don't! It's not like the French peage where you take a ticket when you enter, and then pay on exit according to how far you've driven. You just pay a fixed toll (usually 0.75, 1.00 or 1.25 depending on route/toll). If you've been on the freeway for 1 mile, that's just unlucky, you pay the same as someone who's been on the freeway for 100 miles.

Some toll booths are at freeway exits or entrances, but mainly they are just on the freeway itself.

Some booths are manned and you can pay in notes and get change. Some are unmanned and you must throw the exact change into a bin. In either case a barrier will open once you have paid.

ellie
12-08-2009, 01:24
From Sanford you simply drive onto the 417 toll road. You do not have to go through any barrier.

Then, a short distance ahead you come to the toll booths. They are clearly marked and you need to drive over to the right hand side. The toll booths on the road itself are always manned, and they are very polite and will always give you change.

It is when you are about to leave the toll road that you may meet an unmanned toll booth. Again, there is no barrier, you just drive up and throw the coins into a bin. A green light goes on when you have paid the toll and then you can move off. It works best if you have quarters so try to get some before you arrive in Orlando. You can usually buy bags of coins in the UK.

bargainqueen
13-08-2009, 10:00
On the 417 you will see signs telling you the next exit road is one mile away and also when you are approaching a toll the amount you will need to pay, so you will have plenty of time to sort out how much you will need.

I always fly into Orlando International and from there the tolls are $1 and 50c when exiting at John Young Parkway.

Oh and if you have never driven an automatic before, you have to have your foot on the brake before you can start up the engine. Also the car must be in Park mode before you can take the key out. Even after 13 years I still get caught out by the last nugget of information

[msnembarrased]

staffsbhoy
13-08-2009, 11:30
Hi,

Many thanks for the 3 replies and the previous ones. Again, all great info for a first time visitor and driver to Florida. I fly out on Saturday and I feel I am "knowledgeable" about what to do and when. It all adds up to making the first few days a little less stressfull till I get used to the roads, tolls, the car and anything else that is thrown at me. Many Many thanks for your help and advice offered!!

DLB-GOUROCK
13-08-2009, 12:39
You may want to scan through this if you get a chance before Saturday. [link edited and replaced with another]
http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/

Hope the link stays, it's the State of Florida Driver Handbook Online.
[website names edited] Sections 3 is about your driving and section 4 is about signs and markings which are important to be aware of.

Albert the Frog
13-08-2009, 14:00
I always forget that my hand brake is operaated by my foot and when I do remember I can never figure out how to release it!

Robert5988
13-08-2009, 16:43
Also remember that you will frequently be 'undertaken' i.e. passed by a car on your right had side and 'cut up'. So be very careful when moving back to the right as a car may be coming by at speed.

This practice is illegal, but the law is widely ignored. However you will get a ticket if you are caught.

rogerdunnaker
13-08-2009, 16:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dads_Taxi
Just to clarify, Blott means that UK cards don't work for "Pay At Pump". Obviously you can pay for your gas with UK cards inside the gas station.

Also to clarify, there are some unmanned toll booths which ONLY take coins, 75c I think, hence the need for Quarters. For some reason, people seem to think that throwing a dollar bill in the coin-bucket will work. It doesn't.

Lastly, good tip here -quite often the petrol pump, er, gas pump, will not work until you lift up a pointless lever on the pump. I have no idea what this used to do in the olden days, but in the 21st Century of microprocessors I'm fairly certain this lever could now be superceded. However MANY pumps still require you to lift it before you can get your gas.

UK credit cards do work in some stations, if the pump asks for the zip code registered to the card you will have to pay inside, however, if it doesn't ask for the zip code the pump will take your payment without the need to go inside.

The station on H27 on Polo Park does not require you to pay inside, the pump will accept your UK credit card.
[/quote]

SandraBulmer
13-08-2009, 18:28
Don't forget it is a legal requirement to carry your driving licence when driving in case you are stopped by police.

We are in Orlando at the moment and have seen an increase in police pulling vehicles over, so would also advise observing speed limits.

Sandra

Clare R
01-04-2010, 16:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SandraBulmer
Don't forget it is a legal requirement to carry your driving licence when driving in case you are stopped by police.

[/quote]

also the car rental documents and any insurance paperwork

Pookie
01-04-2010, 18:05
Also come to a <s>full</s> stop at the Stop signs.........

These stop signs are not for slowing down and cruising through as we do here in UK with roundabouts.

At a 4 way stop sign the first person to arrive is the first person to go and so on, so forth.

Lynne

SeanT
02-04-2010, 01:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pookie

These stop signs are not for slowing down and cruising through as we do here in UK with roundabouts.

At a 4 way stop sign the first person to arrive is the first person to go and so on, so forth.

Lynne
[/quote]

very true, got stopped by the local cop on our first morning last year[msnembarrased], gave me a right telling off but let me off with a fine [clap]

Clare R
02-04-2010, 02:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[At a 4 way stop sign the first person to arrive is the first person to go and so on, so forth.[/quote]

And if two cars do arrive together it is the one to your right that has the right of way

Sniff
02-04-2010, 14:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pookie

Lynne
[/quote]
Actually the STOP signs in the USA are the same as the STOP signs in UK (and in many other countries). You must come to a halt. Roundabouts are something completely different of course, and there are a few of those in the USA.

Slightly off topic, where I live in Germany they have just discovered roundabouts, and maybe half a dozen have appeared in the past 2 or 3 years. But they don't quite understand them :D

They are built much too high in the middle, so you can't see any approaching vehicles. And watching the Germans use them is hilarious. In German the traffic priority is from the right, unless otherwise signposted, and they apply that rule also to roundabouts (wrongly, actually, but they are just using what they know). It's very disconcerting to see someone going round a roundabout actually stop to let someone else on [:O][:O]

lafifille
02-04-2010, 18:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]In German the traffic priority is from the right, unless otherwise signposted, and they apply that rule also to roundabouts (wrongly, actually, but they are just using what they know). It's very disconcerting to see someone going round a roundabout actually stop to let someone else on [:O][:O]
[/quote]

I almost crashed into an old lady who drove one of those small cars you drive without a license the other day: she got into the roundabout, then panicked when she saw a big truck arriving to her right and braked real hard, when the truck was actually already stopped, as it should.... I never anticipated that she would actually stop in the middle of the road and it's fortunate I had let enough distance between us, or I would have flattened her in such a tiny car! The truck driver kept telling her to go, but she wouldn't budge...[confused]
Last year I found myself facing another old lady in the same type of car in the roundabout: she said to me that since she was going to her left, she failed to see the point of going all the way around by turning right... [xx(]
I like old ladies, I just hate when they drive those awful cars [}:)]. And God knows we DO have enough roundabouts in France that they would know how to use them!

Sniff
02-04-2010, 22:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
Last year I found myself facing another old lady in the same type of car in the roundabout: she said to me that since she was going to her left, she failed to see the point of going all the way around by turning right... [xx(]
[/quote]
Haha, I love that one! Impeccable logic :D