PDA

View Full Version : How sad

sammibabe
06-07-2009, 00:36
Have just heard that there was a monorail crash at MK in California and one of the drivers was killed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

sunseeker
06-07-2009, 02:00
It was MK Orlando that it happened, i saw it on the news this morning. 1 train was stationary at T&T and another ran into the back of it. The 21 year old driver sadly died.

Dave

sammibabe
06-07-2009, 02:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker
It was MK Orlando that it happened, i saw it on the news this morning. 1 train was stationary at T&T and another ran into the back of it. The 21 year old driver sadly died.

Dave
[/quote]
That was what I thought first off, then saw another report that said Disneyland and I saw mention of California and thought I had it wrong hence the edit[msnembarrased] Wherever it happened it will be devasting to his family. I can imagine it being very distressing also for his colleagues

MJG
06-07-2009, 02:52
And any speculation here or anywhere else as to the cause of this will be no value what so ever.......

sammibabe
06-07-2009, 03:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MJG
And any speculation here or anywhere else as to the cause of this will be no value what so ever.......
[/quote]
No speculation just condolences to his family and friends

MJG
06-07-2009, 03:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
[/quote]
[/quote]

Of course,

I don't think I said you were speculating, which part of my post do you think suggested you were???

I was just trying to discourage the following almost inevitable wave of posts speculating as to the cause as often happens on internet forums when something like this happens.....

sammibabe
06-07-2009, 03:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
[/quote]
[/quote]

Of course,

I don't think I said you were speculating, which part of my post do you think suggested you were???

I was just trying to discourage the following almost inevitable wave of posts speculating as to the cause as often happens on internet forums when something like this happens.....

[/quote]
Sorry, MJG, that's just the way it came across to me. I apologise for reading it the wrong way

MJG
06-07-2009, 03:26
No problem,

And as I said let's hope though we don't get any unfounded speculation and rumour as to the cause....this is a serious event for Disney (last Monorail collision apparently was in 1974) and the best thing everybody can do is just wait for the appropriate authorities to unearth the cause.

MJG
06-07-2009, 15:57
Then I'm guessing you haven't seen some of the speculative rubbish that's being posted on other Disney/Florida related internet forums.

Just keen that the thread which has rightly started as a condolences to the person killed doesn't get high-jacked.

chrizzy100
06-07-2009, 18:45
I think it has already got high jacked...I'm sure John would not stand for anyone going to far off topic..

I feel for the family of the killed worker..so sad..

Susan J
06-07-2009, 19:48
only 21, his whole life ahead of him :( His family must be out of their minds.He went to Celebration high school and was currently at Stetson University.

I am sure Disney will investigate thoroughly and find the cause of why, and ensure it never happens again, but that doesn't bring back the poor boy.

My heart goes out to his family :(

dsv77
07-07-2009, 01:12
Got to agree with Father in this , I dont see ANY hint of anyone speculating in the posts , and think it is ridiculous that MJG needed to even suggest it in his post. Sammiebabe was mearly offering her condolences to the family of the young driver and therefore should not have needed to apologise in anyway for reading the post wrong, [ and after reading the intial post from MJG I too read it the way Sammibabe did ].

My condolences are also with the family of the young driver.

MJG
07-07-2009, 03:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dsv77
Got to agree with Father in this , I dont see ANY hint of anyone speculating in the posts , and think it is ridiculous that MJG needed to even suggest it in his post. Sammiebabe was mearly offering her condolences to the family of the young driver and therefore should not have needed to apologise in anyway for reading the post wrong, [ and after reading the intial post from MJG I too read it the way Sammibabe did ].

My condolences are also with the family of the young driver.[/quote]
Right, I will try again, (it's getting boring now but honestly it's really not rocket science). Just read the following carefully.

1 - I noted the original posts.

2 - I did not suggest hint or claim that anybody in this thread or this forum was speculating as to the cause of the incident...

Hence I said-

The use of Will be I think means a reference to potential future posts, had I used is
would have refered to current or past posts.

are we good so far???

3 - I had noticed that in some other internet forums ie not this one I say again NOT this one, there was some quite stupid and pointless speculation as to the cause of the incident. I felt some of it was disrespectful to the DCM who lost his life.

My post was an attempt to prevent such speculation appearing here, it was NOT I say again NOT a suggestion that there was any speculation thus far in this thread or forum.

Just for clarity I say yet again - it was NOT did you catch that NOT a suggestion that there was any speculation thus far in this thread or forum.

I'm afraid I can't make it any simpler that this.

The OP got it so why can't you????

blott
07-07-2009, 04:53
OK enough now.

Please let's get back to the original point of the thread which was marking our condolences for the family of the deceased cast member.

dsv77
07-07-2009, 15:54
Cannot agree with more Blott, thank you for stopping this nonsense.

Appledore
07-07-2009, 18:52
Ditto - i've just read this thread - lets stay on track.

I visited M.K. on 5th and sadly there were rumors which have since been confirmed. Just incase anyone is planning on visiting in the near future - Disney still have the ferry running and have laid on buses but as i'm sure you can imagine it is taking a while to get into and out of the park.

My sincere condonences go to the young drivers family and friends.
Elaine

MJG
07-07-2009, 21:12
Double ditto from me too.

Condolences indeed to the family of the driver killed.

But I understand that the Monorail has opened again.

sunseeker
07-07-2009, 22:37
Double ditto from me too.

Condolences indeed to the family of the driver killed.

But I understand that the Monorail has opened again.

[/quote]

It opened yesterday (Monday) Passed safe with a few extra saftey procedures put into place by disney.

Dave

MTP
08-07-2009, 02:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
OK enough now.

Please let's get back to the original point of the thread which was marking our condolences for the family of the deceased cast member.
[/quote]Absolutely!

Such a loss must be a real tragedy for the family.

MJG
08-07-2009, 21:43
There is a good video of young Austin who was sadly killed in the accident posted on the Orlando sentinel web site.

He seems like a really nice young guy in the video which was taken by a family who were riding up front with him.

(Don't think I'm allowed to post a link)

apm12309
09-07-2009, 01:31
I am so sorry for the loss of the family, especially since the monorails are the smoothest, safest way to travel about Disney World. So tragic

flyrr100
09-07-2009, 20:07
Thank god there wasn't a family riding in the cockpit.

The NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) have taken over the investigation. The same government department that investigates airplane crashes.

murraycrewe
11-08-2009, 20:47
If you go on [website link edited] then that explains the accident. The reason why the monorails were able to get so close to each other without 'automatic brakes' being applied is because one of the monorails was in 'override' mode as it was attempting to manually switch tracks and go in for the night. However, the track didn't switch so the monorail driver, unaware at this point as he was just following orders from the monorail shop, reversed down the same track that he had just gone past, so this led him into the station and he collided with the other monorail which killed the driver in the other monorail. The driver who was killed had started to put his monorail into reverse as he saw he was about to be hit, but it was too late. Also bear in mind the fact that it is very difficult for the monorail drivers to see behind them, let alone behind them in the dark.

I hope that answers the questions of people who had suspicions about the monorail's safety system. Turns out it was just human errors.