PDA

View Full Version : Already getting a US pension

Dubash
18-12-2003, 21:34
Cant believe how difficult it is to retire to the USA. My Wife is a british citizen but receives an American pension based upon a previous marriage to an American citizen who died some years ago. Does that give her any residency rights? Also is there any financial points system where say a UK millionaire could retire to the US? Not that that's us, but just wondered what money can buy!

BobD

chrizzy100
18-12-2003, 22:07
quote:Originally posted by Dubash

Cant believe how difficult it is to retire to the USA. My Wife is a british citizen but receives an American pension based upon a previous marriage to an American citizen who died some years ago. Does that give her any residency rights? Also is there any financial points system where say a UK millionaire could retire to the US? Not that that's us, but just wondered what money can buy!

BobD

If she never became an American citizen....and shes left the USA for over a year if she had a greencard...then unless she had a re-entre permit for a long stay away from the USA..and most of the time thats only for an extra 6 months to a year... she'll have no rights to residency as far as I know....I don't think you can buy residencey by being rich....most actors and pop stars have work visas....that lead on to a greencard....

Carla
18-12-2003, 22:07
Money could easily buy you a business and that would get you over there!!!! Just have someone keep the business going and you'd be fine. :D:D:D

esprit
19-12-2003, 08:20
You can buy into a visa which leads straight to green card with enough cash. It is the EB-5 visa. You have to either create or invest in a commerical enterprise. with an investment of at least $1,000,000 or $500,0000 in a low emplyment or rural area needed. !0.000 of these visas can be issued annually.

Dubash
21-12-2003, 10:54
Many thanks to the three folk that posted replies. I guess we will look at other places in the world where 6 plus generations of UK residency and 100% financial independence is more welcomed. Its a weird state of affairs where the country that shares our language and most of our ideals is less welcoming than our european neighbours.

Bob D