PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of Visa to new passport

f1pete
23-06-2009, 15:47
Can anyone help with this as e-mailing various US Depts doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere !!

I have a US Visa because of a Drink/Drive conviction. Anyway, thats all sorted and the VISA was issued back in Oct '07 for 5 years expiring Oct 2012. Having been to the states a couple of times now we intend to go back again next year, Aug 2010, but my UK Passport will expire in Oct 2010. I need to have 6 months left on my passport for entry to US, therefore I will need to renew it before we go, but what happens to my VISA. Do I travel to US on the new passport and bring the old one (with cancelled written all over it by the passport office) for my VISA or can the VISA be transferred to my new passport? If so who does this UK Passport Office or do I have to go back to the US Embassy in London ?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

zanderbuchan
23-06-2009, 16:00
Normal procedure for this type of case is that passport office returns your old passport containing valid visa. You then produce both documents on entry. The passport is designated as being cancelled both in writing inside and by having corner clipped off cover.

f1pete
23-06-2009, 16:15
Hi Zander, thanks for reply.

I had assumed the writting and clipping of the corner thing but will US Immigration allow entry with a 'VISA' from a cancelled passport ?

Sniff
23-06-2009, 16:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by f1pete
we intend to go back again next year, Aug 2010, but my UK Passport will expire in Oct 2010. I need to have 6 months left on my passport for entry to US, therefore I will need to renew it before we go
[/quote]
No you don't. Unless you intend to stay in the USA beyond the expiration date of your current passport (ie sometime in October from what you say) then you have no issues.

Of course, this doesn't resolve your main problem, that of your current passport expiring before your current visa, but that has nothing to do with the trip you plan for Aug 2010.

Clare R
23-06-2009, 16:34
No problem with the Visa in a cancelled passport, this is the way I travel.

When I renewed my passport (containing current Visa) I wrote on every bit of paper and form DO NOT DEFACE PAGE ***. They just clip the covers of the expired passport.

f1pete
23-06-2009, 18:01
Cheers Clare, great help !