PDA

View Full Version : A few notes for British 1st time visitors

rogerdunnaker
08-06-2009, 19:53
A few notes that might help you to settle in a little more quickly and get the most out of your holiday.

Groceries

Because this is a tourist area most British grocery items are available but at a price. Things that you may wish to take with you are :-

* Instant coffee – American brands are rather bitter
* Tea bags – most tea bags in America have strings and tags attached
* Brown sauce – I paid nearly $5 for a small bottle when we ran out
* Salad Cream
* Washing powder- I have yet to fully work out the mysteries of soap powders and bleach and stain removers. Basic American washing powder is useless so I usually take a small quantity of Persil bio tablets with me.

All these will travel OK in plastic containers.

Bread – Most American bread is very sweet, by trial and error we have found that the best bread to buy is the Chicago Italian Bread from the Publix in store bakery and the French bread from the Wal Mart in store bakery.

Butter – virtually unspreadable from the fridge, we usually buy the Land Lakes brand with added canola oil.

Sugar – generally sold in huge quantities for baking or in cardboard tubes with a pourer ( a little like old fashioned salt containers) for about 90 cents, this should last you for the duration.

Milk –Sold in percentage fat, semi-skimmed is roughly equivalent to 1%

Supermarkets

Publix on the H27. Turn left at Sand Mine Road, there are lights at this junction.

This is a nice store with a bakery, hot takeaway counter and salad bar and a section for people with food allergies. British goods are found in the ethnic isle, you should be able to get everything you need here however it is a little more expensive than Wal-Mart which is about ten minutes further drive along the N27. Wal-Mart is visible on the right hand side of the road about a mile after passing the exit to the 192. Turn right at the lights at Cagans Crossing there is a sign post for the store.

Wal-Mart is huge and is open 24/7. Stay close together in store I once lost my husband and the kids for 40 minutes and is the reason why we purchased radio phones. This store sells everything from groceries to weight lifting equipment and clothes to tyres for your sports utility vehicle. Big culture shock, however if Wal-Mart sell something it is likely to be cheaper than anywhere else.

We usually pop into Publix on arrival at the villa and pick up a few essential items for drinks and breakfast plus some hot food from the hot deli counter. Early next morning when we wake before dawn, about 4. 00am, because we are still on UK time, we go to Wal Mart to do a big shop. The store is quiet at this time, the only other shoppers tend to be Brits who cannot sleep. Please note that alcohol cannot be purchased in the middle of the night, not sure of the exact licensing hours

Walgreens drug stores are all over place and sell basic grocery items so you can always pop in on your travels to pick up a bottle of milk. Some stores are open 24/7 others close at 11. 30 ish. First time visitors to the States are always fascinated by the drugs stores as they sell a huge range of medical goods over the counter. I once purchased a dental repair kit to glue in a crown, which did the trick until we got back home. Like chemists at home the pharmacy will offer advice on minor conditions and make recommendations.

Eating Out

Dining out in America can be an obscene experience, portions can be huge however most places don’t bat an eyelid at people sharing deserts or asking for food to packed to be taken away. Most places are very child friendly, ask for a plate for your little one to share your food.

There are some restaurants nearby on the Berry Town Centre complex (same place as Publix supermarket) and many more places to choose from along the 192 catering for all tastes, Chinese, Indian, buffet restaurants, ice cream parlours and shrimp and steak bars. Steaks in the USA are great, two favourite steak houses are Logans and the Longhorn, both situated on the 192. Breakfast is always a good deal, but

blott
08-06-2009, 20:14
Some good tips there but...

Not sure about the brown sauce which contains:

Water
Vinegar
Dates
Glucose-Fructose
Black Strap Molasses
Tomato Paste
Modified Cornstarch
Salt
Orange Juice Concentrate
Onion
Spices
Tamarind Extract
Apple Juice Concentrate
Garlic
Chili Peppers
Mustard Flour

Semi-skimmed milk is 2% - full milk is 4% and skimmed is 1%. Don't rely on the coloured tops as these change in different supermarkets.

Keep your bread in the fridge and it stays fresh for ages.

Disney hasn't owned Celebration for some time now.

And not everyone stays on the 27. [msnwink]

mfairhurst
08-06-2009, 21:38
Roger you sound like you do not like Florida ,As when you wrote this it is lots you do not like and guests may read this and see the same .
There are a lot about Florida that is good why not promote the good thing we all find there .
Only being constructive
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

orlandochris
08-06-2009, 22:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
Roger you sound like you do not like Florida ,As when you wrote this it is lots you do not like and guests may read this and see the same .
There are a lot about Florida that is good why not promote the good thing we all find there .
Only being constructive
MAUREEN
[/quote]

I'm not sure how you got to that opinion Maureen. It seems very much a positive post on the whole rather than negative.

mfairhurst
08-06-2009, 22:32
A lot of things are good in Florida and people should not told what is not good before thay go as we all have different tastes in food also other things we like to do .
It is a learning cerb going to lots of places in life a good experience to find out for yourself.
We have a book in our villa and all our guests have reccomended places they like and the good things about Florida .
As i said before only being constructive .Not sarcastic .
MAUREEN

SDJ
08-06-2009, 23:40
I also thought Rogers post was a positive one. Fair enough as Blott says, if you are on or near Hwy27 or 192,but there are many Publix and Walmarts around for guests to find. I think it was a very helpful post if you have never visited before, and some useful things for potential guests to look up on the internet before they actually get to the villa and then to read the Owners Handbook.

We all get too blase and think everyone knows this and that, whereas many people would love to read something like Roger's information.

He has taken the time and trouble to write this, well done Roger.

Sandra

sammibabe
08-06-2009, 23:43
The only thing we take is salad cream (also have to take it to Europe), redbush teabags (cos I wasn't sure whether I could buy them there and now I still can't remember!), rice milk next time and gluten free bread, biscuits etc. We don't have a problem with ordinary bread, instant coffee or washing powder.
Everybody has different tastes and people can try themselves or take stuff just in case. Personally I like to try before decideing I'm not gonna like.
Must have taken a long time doing this post which will be useful if you're on H27 for shopping and something to think about for everyone else

Katys Grandad
08-06-2009, 23:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
A lot of things are good in Florida and people should not told what is not good before thay go as we all have different tastes in food also other things we like to do.[/quote]So we should only recommend things we like but not mention what we don't?

I think readers should be grateful for the time it has obviously taken to put the post together. Very informative and balanced in my view.

floridageoff
09-06-2009, 00:19
If you drink Nescafe in the UK, buy Taster's Choice in Florida. It is the same coffee. We always buy Taster's Choice Gold Blend from Publix.

Nina A
09-06-2009, 00:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
The only thing we take is salad cream (also have to take it to Europe), redbush teabags (cos I wasn't sure whether I could buy them there and now I still can't remember!), rice milk next time and gluten free bread, biscuits etc. We don't have a problem with ordinary bread, instant coffee or washing powder.
Everybody has different tastes and people can try themselves or take stuff just in case. Personally I like to try before decideing I'm not gonna like.
Must have taken a long time doing this post which will be useful if you're on H27 for shopping and something to think about for everyone else
[/quote]Have you tried the new Wholefoods Market up near Universal yet? I take redbush tea too, forgot to look last time to see if they do it but I'm sure they will. They also sell gluten free bread and other foods for people on special diets.

Don't be put off by the Wholefood name they do something for everyone. They also have counters with all kinds of prepared food that you can take away or eat in their cafe. We especially like their nut butter machines, just mush up whatever nuts you like and have as much or as little as you want. They also sell real cheese, we even saw some Borough Market Cheddar from London!

SDJ
09-06-2009, 01:53
Glenda and Geoff, thank you for that tip. I always bring Nescafe Gold Blend Granules. I will try the Tasters Choice from Publix now!!

Sandra

Jill
09-06-2009, 02:00
I second taking tea bags as I have not found a decent American tea bag yet.

Always willing to try some on my next visit if someone can recommend some.

luckylady
09-06-2009, 02:05
Thank you Roger, I also thought Roger's posting was positive and included some great tips and advice.

florida4sun
09-06-2009, 02:14
We had PG tips pyramid bags vacuum packed and shipped over.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jill
I second taking tea bags as I have not found a decent American tea bag yet.

Always willing to try some on my next visit if someone can recommend some.
[/quote]

sammibabe
09-06-2009, 03:16
[quote]Originally posted by florida4sun
We had PG tips pyramid bags vacuum packed and shipped over.

Martin you must love your PG. In return for the great service we will bring some out on our next visit if you can wait til 2011[msnsad]

steph_goodrum
09-06-2009, 11:56
Am I right in thinking it's not Roger but his wife who has given us a such a helpful guide? Thank you for taking the time. Please join in more often, it's good to hear from all the family.

Although we try to give our Guests as much info as we think they can use without going into overdrive, it is so long since we went as a first time visitor that we forget the essentials. I remember on our first trip 12/13 years ago we couldnt find a supermarket anywhere. We kept being directed to 7/11 which didnt have much range and were dearer and then half way through our trip found our first Publix or Walmart cant remember which.

For anyone who is going soon and like me only has the occasional cup of coffee but may have visitors who like it, I noticed the other day our local 99p store has 50g tins of Nescafe, so it's easy to carry and not have to worry about the jar smashing.

solanasunshine
09-06-2009, 12:10
What a helpful post - thank you for taking the time to do this.

We also eat the same bread and butter as you do and it took a while to find them after trying lots of different types. We also like how you can buy half loaves in the Italian bread - we are not big bread eaters and this ensures we have fresh bread all the time. [msnsmile]

florida4sun
09-06-2009, 12:26
Great post thanks Mrs Roger [msnsmile] Ahh the first time, I remember it well. Tickets in hand, standing like a bunch of muppets at the queue for the ticket booths, thinking it was a queue into the park [msneek]

steph_goodrum
09-06-2009, 14:22
Me too Roger waiting to exchange the vouchers we had. Much better when you get the actual tickets now.

Albert the Frog
09-06-2009, 15:11
I'm a bit of a coffee nut and the nearest I've found to my usual is Tasters Choice- i noticed this time that there are a wide selection of English brands in the ethnic aisle at Walmart-very pricey though obviously because they're imported.

florida4sun
09-06-2009, 15:23
The range of fresh coffee in the USA is fantastic. Of course that is completely different drink to the instant brands though.
Always started the day with a fresh pot of coffee by the pool, ahh those were the days...

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Albert the Frog
I'm a bit of a coffee nut and the nearest I've found to my usual is Tasters Choice- i noticed this time that there are a wide selection of English brands in the ethnic aisle at Walmart-very pricey though obviously because they're imported.
[/quote]

daxon
09-06-2009, 18:53
I love going to foreign countries precisely because they are foreign! I love to try new things but it doesn't mean I have to like them! (Root beer is a case in point!!) Not everyone who lives in the UK likes white sliced bread for instance but we know what the alternatives are. I agree I find the bread rather sweet except the gorgeous bread from Publix that was recommended. I think part of the problem with visitors travelling to the US is that the scale of things is often larger than we are used to so things in supermarkets for example may be harder to find; I think this post is great for pointing people in the right direction! A little tip to add; if you can't find something 'British' in the supermarket try the 'foreign foods' aisle; if not try a US substitute; you never know you may just like it!!
No matter how many times we go over we always find something new to try, new places to visit; it's part of the attraction of Florida.[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
09-06-2009, 19:30
I thought it was a great post..myself I have no idea why you need English food when you are only away from the country for around 2 weeks..but each to his own..

becbecs
09-06-2009, 21:14
Yorkshire Tea Bags are available from The Publix Supermarkets, don't care how much they cost.

Being from Yorkshire was a pleasant surprise when we found them.

[clap]

When holidaying, we do like to do as the locals do and feel like we are abroad but you can't beat a good cup of tea

chrizzy100
09-06-2009, 22:11
The only thing I still have shipped in is gravy...I got rid of the last thing that says I'm English this year in my home..its now a true New England place..I have I think one flag that shows I'm a Brit...I will always keep one..I may live like a native..but I will always be British

Sniff
10-06-2009, 01:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
myself I have no idea why you need English food when you are only away from the country for around 2 weeks..but each to his own..
[/quote]
I have to agree with Chrizzy...I am astounded when I hear people talking about taking teabags and sauces and gravy and whatnot on holiday! Part of the reason for going on holiday for me is NOT doing what I normally do at home...and that includes eating. I want to try new stuff, and that's part of the excitement of going anywhere (not just USA) on holiday as far as I'm concerned. I love my coffee, but if I couldn't get my regular brand (or even anything similar) for 2-3 weeks, who cares - I'm on holiday :D

Nothing, absolutely nothing, would entice me to take foodstuffs in my suitcase. But (as Chrizzy says) each to their own, and that's what makes life interesting [msnwink]

vickk17
10-06-2009, 01:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff
myself I have no idea why you need English food when you are only away from the country for around 2 weeks..but each to his own..
[/quote]
I have to agree with Chrizzy...I am astounded when I hear people talking about taking teabags and sauces and gravy and whatnot on holiday! Part of the reason for going on holiday for me is NOT doing what I normally do at home...and that includes eating. I want to try new stuff, and that's part of the excitement of going anywhere (not just USA) on holiday as far as I'm concerned. I love my coffee, but if I couldn't get my regular brand (or even anything similar) for 2-3 weeks, who cares - I'm on holiday :D

Nothing, absolutely nothing, would entice me to take foodstuffs in my suitcase. But (as Chrizzy says) each to their own, and that's what makes life interesting [msnwink]
[/quote]

I have to agree, We love trying food out there that you would not see at home. Don't always like it but most things we do. The only thing I crave is English custard. I would love to order it on my diabetic cherry pie at bob evans (or was it perkins)

sammibabe
10-06-2009, 03:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff
[/quote]

[/quote]
Not trying to justify why I take foodstuff in my case but it is sometimes more than just a liking for certain foods. I feel awful if I have dairy (hence rice milk and salad cream), my daughter throws up with gluten hence those foods and I have drunk redbush for so long I can't stand ordinary tea! I love trying different stuff and when we're in Europe we tend to eat where the locals eat. Florida food is fantastic.

Nina, can you give me some directions for Wholesome Foods? We tried to find a place last time that was supposed to be just off the 192 but we never found it[msnsad]

Katys Grandad
10-06-2009, 08:59
We do take the odd thing with us but usually to save money. Why would I want to pay 3 times the price at home for decent tea bags?

Quite honestly, I do find that generally speaking there isn't a big difference between the food in Florida and that I get at home. Supermarkets and restaurants offer very similar products although there's a lot more sugar and salt in US goods. If we really want to eat 'like the locals", then that's likely to be pasta, pizza, burgers and meals based on fried meat products followed by high sugar content deserts which are much like those over here but usually in bigger portions. If we think that American families are eating meatloaf, grits, cornbread and the like all the time, we're kidding ourselves.

I'm far from unadventurous with food and love to try different things. I'm in Dallas this weekend and will be eating at a Tex Mex restaurant because you can't easily find quality food of that type in the UK. It's much the same in the South West of the USA where there is a distinct cuisine which I like but in Florida, while I never ever go hungry, I don't find the food to be so different in the way it is in Europe or other parts of the world.

steph_goodrum
10-06-2009, 11:31
That's why this post is so useful as people can feel more confident about not taking things as they now have the info to help them find the proper supermarkets with a range big enough to suit everyone. Even my great niece who is 3 and has severe allergies was ok as her mum found enough that she could eat.

The Whole Foods shop is up near Sand Lake road
Stores near ZIP code 33897

Orlando

16.4 miles northeast
8003 Turkey Lake Road
Phillips Crossing
Orlando, FL 32819
Phone: 407.355.7100
Fax: 407.355.7101

www.wholefoodsmarket.com
has maps to help youu find the stores.

canarypam
10-06-2009, 11:45
I thought it was a great post thank you for taking the time to post.

The only thing I take with me are tea bags I couldn't go without my early morning cup of tea by the pool!

luckylady
10-06-2009, 12:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by canarypam
I thought it was a great post thank you for taking the time to post.

The only thing I take with me are tea bags I couldn't go without my early morning cup of tea by the pool! [/quote]We have recently change our tea bags to Redbush they will be in my luggage when we travel next time to Florida. [msnwink]

mizzy
10-06-2009, 14:23
i have got to say one of the reasons i now post very little on this forum is clearly demonstrated on this topic, the first post is trying to be helpful and informative and as a first time visitor i would have found it helpful

the 2nd post whilst also possibly trying to be helpful??? does come across as a little rude Blott and to finish with a wink i think is unacceptable also, it's like i'll type what i want here and if it comes across a little rude well then i'll add a friendly wink and it will excuse the rudeness

i have stayed away for a while now but looked across at this forum this morning and this topic really saddened me in how it was first responded too

florida does have good and bad things about it just like everywhere in the world and everyone should be entitled to their opinions without ridicule and in my opinion ridicule is giving the rundown on the ingrediants of the brown sauce it is uncalled for and offers exactly what to the reply? how is a list of ingrediants helpful in your post if not to ridicule?

the regulars and villa advertisers will not say it but i will - quite frankly i am appalled at such a rude response from a forum administrator

SDJ
10-06-2009, 17:42
Mizzy, nice to see your post and hope you are well. Are you still travelling to Florida?

Sniff. I also travel around various places all around the world and always try to eat where the locals eat. It is a little different in US as most of the food is similar to UK anyway and one can usually find things they enjoy and as you say, it's the experience. However, not all of us are limited to 2/3 week stays, so for my much longer stays, I do feel the need for my Nescage Gold Blend!!! However, due to the original post, I have learnt that there is an alternative very similar to Nescafe so will be giving that a try when I return for 5 months in September.

I am very grateful for the original post as without it, I may not have found out that I may be relieved of taking coffee with me.[msncool]

Sandra

sammibabe
10-06-2009, 18:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
If we think that American families are eating meatloaf, grits, cornbread and the like all the time, we're kidding ourselves.

but in Florida, while I never ever go hungry, I don't find the food to be so different in the way it is in Europe or other parts of the world.
[/quote]
We don't do 'local' eating in Florida (wouldn't even know where to start) but the steaks are much better than any I have eaten here. The salads in FLorida that I have had are far better than any here too, even Maccy D's do salad better than Maccy D's here. My mouth is watering for a Bob Evan's wildfire salad so hope they are still doing it when we get back there. Also the fact that the kids don't have to worry about how much they are drinking (here it's 1 drink and then water or the drinks can work out soooo expensive).

Thanks Steph for the directions.

mizzy
10-06-2009, 18:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
Mizzy, nice to see your post and hope you are well. Are you still travelling to Florida?

Sniff. I also travel around various places all around the world and always try to eat where the locals eat. It is a little different in US as most of the food is similar to UK anyway and one can usually find things they enjoy and as you say, it's the experience. However, not all of us are limited to 2/3 week stays, so for my much longer stays, I do feel the need for my Nescage Gold Blend!!! However, due to the original post, I have learnt that there is an alternative very similar to Nescafe so will be giving that a try when I return for 5 months in September.

I am very grateful for the original post as without it, I may not have found out that I may be relieved of taking coffee with me.
[msncool]

Sandra
[/quote]

yes Sandra i am well thank you and we do still travel to florida, we are currently planning our 5th trip in 4 years so we must be addicted, it truly is a wonderful place to holiday, we still use the links from the site for car hire, sat nav, tickets and of course villas but sadly i post little mainly for the reason given above

clairemca
10-06-2009, 20:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
i have got to say one of the reasons i now post very little on this forum is clearly demonstrated on this topic, the first post is trying to be helpful and informative and as a first time visitor i would have found it helpful

the 2nd post whilst also possibly trying to be helpful??? does come across as a little rude Blott and to finish with a wink i think is unacceptable also, it's like i'll type what i want here and if it comes across a little rude well then i'll add a friendly wink and it will excuse the rudeness

i have stayed away for a while now but looked across at this forum this morning and this topic really saddened me in how it was first responded too

florida does have good and bad things about it just like everywhere in the world and everyone should be entitled to their opinions without ridicule and in my opinion ridicule is giving the rundown on the ingrediants of the brown sauce it is uncalled for and offers exactly what to the reply? how is a list of ingrediants helpful in your post if not to ridicule?

the regulars and villa advertisers will not say it but i will - quite frankly i am appalled at such a rude response from a forum administrator
[/quote]

I was wondering what the point was in listing the ingredients of brown sauce!

I also think it is a good post as going to Florida for the first time you like to hear what other people think of it, which is the reason why we all ask questions on here.

Claire

Nina A
10-06-2009, 20:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe[br
Nina, can you give me some directions for Wholesome Foods? We tried to find a place last time that was supposed to be just off the 192 but we never found it[msnsad]
[/quote]No wonder you didn't find the WholeFoods Market Sammibabe it is near Universal off I-4 not the 192! Until you get the hang of it it can be quite tricky to find even if you are in the right area. Steph has given the address and links. You can actually see the back of it from I-4 although it doesn't have a name visible from I-4.

Going north on I-4 towards Orlando take exit 74a and turn left onto Sand Lake. This takes you under the I-4, you will see the store on your left. At the junction turn immediately left onto Turkey Lake, you have to go a few hundred yards to cross the traffic and turn left into the store, there are a few other stores and eating places there too.

Coming from Universal travel south on Turkey Lake, go straight over Sand Lake and again cross the traffic and turn in left.

Below are three photos I took of the outside and a tiny part of the fruit and veg dept. These were taken with the permission of the store. Had I known they would be so accommodating and I'd had more time I would have taken more. Plan to do so next trip.

<div align="center">http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Nina A/2009610163021_Wholefoods1web.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Nina A/2009610163043_Wholefoods2web.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Nina A/2009610163122_Wholefoodsweb3.JPG </div id="center">

another
10-06-2009, 21:19
That looks like a fantastic store! I must make a note to visit [msnsmile2]

steph_goodrum
10-06-2009, 23:09
Frances
I havent got to that one yet but I loved the one in Kensington, am planning to go there again soon.

Farndon5
10-06-2009, 23:58

[/quote]

I have been a member of this forum for a while now and although I rarely post - I do read most of the threads.

I am posting now to show my support to Mizzy. I agree totally with your post.

I too find the majority of Blott's responses not only patronising but also unhelpful. The starter post in this thread is evidently there to help first time visitors to Florida and no where does it state that the ingredients to Brown Sauce need be listed. If you don't like brown sauce Blott, then don't take it with you...simple.

Also, it is true, not everyone stays on the 27 [msnwink], however, not everyone wants to stay on Crescent Lakes either, but apologies, I realise that Crescent Lakes is a sugar coated wonderland that all Florida vistors must see!

Every country has its good points, but also its bad and since this post is aimed at 1st time visitors, I think it is important that the not so great facts are pointed out.

As Mizzy says, one would not expect such rude, patronising and useless responses from a supposed 'administrator'.

[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

...I put winks after, so I'm off the hook right?

Mrs Brizzle
11-06-2009, 00:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Farndon5

I have been a member of this forum for a while now and although I rarely post - I do read most of the threads.

I too find the majority of Blott's responses not only patronising but also unhelpful. The starter post in this thread is evidently there to help first time visitors to Florida and no where does it state that the ingredients to Brown Sauce need be listed. If you don't like brown sauce Blott, then don't take it with you...simple.

Also, it is true, not everyone stays on the 27 [msnwink], however, not everyone wants to stay on Crescent Lakes either, but apologies, I realise that Crescent Lakes is a sugar coated wonderland that all Florida vistors must see!

Every country has its good points, but also its bad and since this post is aimed at 1st time visitors, I think it is important that the not so great facts are pointed out.

As Mizzy says, one would not expect such rude, patronising and useless responses from a supposed 'administrator'.

[/quote]

I think you have very shrewdly picked up on a lot of points there my friend. I have been a member for a long time now but very rarely post now as the same old people feel the need to pick apart helpful posts.
The OP has put a lot of thought into their post and has highlighted things I didn't know and I have been 11 times. People will not go to the trouble of posting and helping each other if they are treated this way.

Suzy
11-06-2009, 01:09
I also read everyday and rarely post, I remember Mizzy and her friend as a regular and would like to see them back here. On another point I agree with Mizzy wholeheartedly, everyone is entitled to there view point and the original poster was only trying to be helpful-don't knock them!

Sue

sammibabe
11-06-2009, 02:09
Thanks Nina. Yes we were in completely the wrong neck of the woods. So glad we didn't waste any longer than we did looking for a shop that we were never going to find.[msnembarrased]

Nina A
11-06-2009, 03:23
Thanks Nina. Yes we were in completely the wrong neck of the woods. So glad we didn't waste any longer than we did looking for a shop that we were never going to find.[msnembarrased]
[/quote]You're very welcome. It's well worth going to if only for a drool! I'm so glad we found it and I'm sure it would be a Godsend to anyone with special dietary needs. Ours are just piggy [msnembarrased].

I know people have mentioned that they can't find 'proper' cheese in the US supermarkets. US cheeses all seem to be what my husband calls plastic ie very processed, although I have noticed they are getting better. The cheese counter at WholeFoods is huge and much better than many over here, so worth a trip if you need a cheese fix!

Strangely I buy American peanut butter in the U.K. Tesco's sell an all natural one from the Peanut Butter Co. but until WholeFoods opened I couldn't find one in Florida that wasn't packed with sugar, salt and oil!

Thanks to Mrs Roger for starting this thread.

IrisFerdinand
11-06-2009, 03:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mrs Brizzle
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Farndon5

[/quote]

I think you have very shrewdly picked up on a lot of points there my friend. I have been a member for a long time now but very rarely post now as the same old people feel the need to pick apart helpful posts.
The OP has put a lot of thought into their post and has highlighted things I didn't know and I have been 11 times. People will not go to the trouble of posting and helping each other if they are treated this way.

[/quote]

I agree!! I have only just really joined but having read that response and now looking back at other ones it is quite clear that 'Blott' whoever they may be, evidently does not want other people to appear to know more about Florida than they do!!

Is this it? Are we not allowed to offer new information without the fear of being told off by an administrator and told that we are wrong?

I stand by you all!!

Free Speech!

FraserLynn
11-06-2009, 04:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
We do take the odd thing with us but usually to save money. Why would I want to pay 3 times the price at home for decent tea bags?

Quite honestly, I do find that generally speaking there isn't a big difference between the food in Florida and that I get at home. Supermarkets and restaurants offer very similar products although there's a lot more sugar and salt in US goods. If we really want to eat 'like the locals", then that's likely to be pasta, pizza, burgers and meals based on fried meat products followed by high sugar content deserts which are much like those over here but usually in bigger portions. If we think that American families are eating meatloaf, grits, cornbread and the like all the time, we're kidding ourselves.

I'm far from unadventurous with food and love to try different things. I'm in Dallas this weekend and will be eating at a Tex Mex restaurant because you can't easily find quality food of that type in the UK. It's much the same in the South West of the USA where there is a distinct cuisine which I like but in Florida, while I never ever go hungry, I don't find the food to be so different in the way it is in Europe or other parts of the world.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, everything I see in a Florida supermarket may look a little different, but it is all familiar food, things I can identify and predict what it is going to taste like. You want to try picking your way through my local supermarket in Shanghai, I have no idea what half of it even is and some parts of the animal that the sell on the meat counter, well... I wouldn't have classed it as the bit you would eat.

My first trip to a supermarket here took me hours as I tried to find things I knew I would like!!

chrizzy100
11-06-2009, 04:56
I no longer post that much because of the mails I've had from a few people upset at being told their holiday will be rubbish because they had already booked a hotel..I also have a few other problem with advice..
But I mod myself and it is a hard job...for the most part this is a very useful site full of good people..John and Co put in a lot of time to keep this site running well

I have to agree that people are put off posting which is sad..FL is a great place to holiday...but to make it a holiday to remember you do need to see the down sides and get real advice about how to deal with them..mozzies come to mind on that one..

maybe we could remember that its real people we are talking too who have ALREADY booked in some cases a holiday of a life time..it may not be your idea of a great holiday but if its already booked be nice and those people may come back and book a villa next time..

rogerdunnaker
11-06-2009, 11:39
I no longer post that much because of the mails I've had from a few people upset at being told their holiday will be rubbish because they had already booked a hotel..I also have a few other problem with advice..
But I mod myself and it is a hard job...for the most part this is a very useful site full of good people..John and Co put in a lot of time to keep this site running well

I have to agree that people are put off posting which is sad..FL is a great place to holiday...but to make it a holiday to remember you do need to see the down sides and get real advice about how to deal with them..mozzies come to mind on that one..

maybe we could remember that its real people we are talking too who have ALREADY booked in some cases a holiday of a life time..it may not be your idea of a great holiday but if its already booked be nice and those people may come back and book a villa next time..

[/quote]

Well, as the poster of this topic, I am dismayed, some say that it is detrimental to Fl, tell me where, if saying coffee is bitter then stake me out. It was meant as a help to [u]</u>first time visitors[u]</u> as it says in the title, to create world war three as it appears to have was not in the plan.
How anyone can think that we are against Fl beats me, we own a villa there and we go every year, that really sounds like we hate the place doesn't it?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-06-2009, 12:01
I do find it very interesting that the two new posters who are taking a shot at our very hard working and well respected moderator Blott, both joined yesterday and both posted from the same IP address. Could it possibly be that they are one and the same person by any chance?

Perhaps I'm a bit more thick skinned but I could not see any issues with Blottie's posting. All she was doing is pointing out that Brown Sauce may contain items you are not allowed to bring into the USA yourself and thus saving someone getting fined at customs. She might have been a bit direct in the way she said this, but that does not make her rude or anything else the bogus users sought to suggest and she certainly does not deserve the comments that were aimed directly at her.

I would like to remind people that we will not tolerate anything other than total courtesy to any forum member. Anyone who posts anything that is construed as a personal attack has no place on here, free speach or not. Free speach is no excuse for rudeness [msnsad].

Finally many thanks to the few who have tried their best to take what could be (and is) a very interesting forum topic totally off-topic with their own personal gripes (for which there is a lot more history than they are letting on here). Can I politely ask that we stick to topic and do not make any further personal attacks [msnsmile].

another
11-06-2009, 12:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Frances
I havent got to that one yet but I loved the one in Kensington, am planning to go there again soon.
[/quote]

You know Steph, I thought I recognised the name, I have been to the one in Los Gatos, California!! I haven't been to the any of the London stores, they look good on their website though [msnsmile2]

mizzy
11-06-2009, 14:16

[/quote]

i agree entirely with everything you have posted here Chrizzy

John i have in no way made any personal attacks in any of my posts i always try my utmost to be polite and respectful at all times but if i do see something that appears rude i should be entitled to say so, that should not be considered a personal attack, if someone took all the time and trouble to list the ingrediants of the brown sauce then surely a quick explanation why they did so like you have done on their behalf (about customs and getting fined) then that would have stopped the post sounding rude or making it look like it was to ridicule and it would have been more appropriate and helpful to the topic in the first place

this surely is not a personal attack but a observation

and like i said and like chrizzy is saying, it scares people away from the forum and they do not come back

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
11-06-2009, 14:56
My comments were not aimed specifically at you. They were made as general comments.

People will always be "scared away" from any online forums as it's just not possible to run a forum everyone is happy with all of the time. We try our very best at all times to make this a nice place to be and I think we get it right most of the time.

I think the general post rate speaks for itself and is proof that most people are absolutely fine with the forums. Of course, there will always be those who say people are scared off posting and they are of course entitled to their opinions [msnsmile].

Just a thought, but as the original post was by an owner, perhaps Blottie assumed they would know why she was listing the ingredients. Obviously in an ideal world, all posts would be fully qualified with lots of details but how many people can hold their hands up and say they have not written something that in hindsight, they could have been clearer about.

I still do not see it as a reason to get upset about though.

Can we get this topic back on track now please [msnsmile].

John i have in no way made any personal attacks in any of my posts i always try my utmost to be polite and respectful at all times but if i do see something that appears rude i should be entitled to say so, that should not be considered a personal attack, if someone took all the time and trouble to list the ingrediants of the brown sauce then surely a quick explanation why they did so like you have done on their behalf (about customs and getting fined) then that would have stopped the post sounding rude or making it look like it was to ridicule and it would have been more appropriate and helpful to the topic in the first place

and like i said and like chrizzy is saying, it scares people away from the forum and they do not come back

[/quote]

Peppermint
11-06-2009, 23:12
We generally like to 'buy local' whenever we travel abroad but I do usually take a bottle of sugar-free squash (eg. Robinsons) for the children as a better alternative to too much fizzy and a change from plain bottled water. It is available in the English sections of the supermarkets but is expensive compared to here. I have yet to find an American equivalent - unless anyone knows better. I know they can drink milk and pure juice too but obviously when it is hot they drink far more in quantity so another calorie/fat/sugar-free option is good (so not to add to the inevitable increase in calorie intake whilst somewhere like Florida!)

chrizzy100
12-06-2009, 00:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Peppermint
We generally like to 'buy local' whenever we travel abroad but I do usually take a bottle of sugar-free squash (eg. Robinsons) for the children as a better alternative to too much fizzy and a change from plain bottled water. It is available in the English sections of the supermarkets but is expensive compared to here. I have yet to find an American equivalent - unless anyone knows better. I know they can drink milk and pure juice too but obviously when it is hot they drink far more in quantity so another calorie/fat/sugar-free option is good (so not to add to the inevitable increase in calorie intake whilst somewhere like Florida!)
[/quote]

Kids seem to drink a lot more milk...my Grandson will no go near soda..
I went over to both iced coffee and tea..McDonald's do a great iced coffee now..I rate it over any other I've tried yet

sammibabe
12-06-2009, 01:21
Do they do iced coffe black as I don't have dairy (or with soya)? Would it be any good?[msneek]

Nina A
12-06-2009, 02:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Peppermint
[/quote]How about making real fruit smoothies? Just about all villas have a blender and it's a good way of getting children to eat fruit. You could even add carbonated water. You can also add fresh juices to fizzy water for a refreshing drink. Our favourite is freshly squeezed lime juice in fizzy water, probably not one kids would really be into but very refreshing for adults. You can always add some sweetener if it is too sharp for your taste.

BIGEYE
12-06-2009, 08:33
Note the thread heading "A few notes for ENGLISH 1st time visitors"

E. Cosgrove
12-06-2009, 11:30
* Washing powder- I have yet to fully work out the mysteries of soap powders and bleach and stain removers. Basic American washing powder is useless so I usually take a small quantity of Persil bio tablets with me.

"All" is wonderful, I even bring it home with me!!

[msnwink]:D

Ruth
12-06-2009, 12:01
Isn't is amazing how different we all are. Artificial sweeteners (in fact artificial everything as much as possible) are banned in our house, I have no problem with my children ingesting sugar as they are active and can take all the calories I throw at them, however I will not let them ingest chemicals;)

orlandochris
12-06-2009, 12:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
Isn't is amazing how different we all are. Artificial sweeteners (in fact artificial everything as much as possible) are banned in our house, I have no problem with my children ingesting sugar as they are active and can take all the calories I throw at them, however I will not let them ingest chemicals;)[/quote]As a diabetic, it's not quite that easy for me!!!

Ruth
12-06-2009, 12:50
Absolutely, you have little choice if you want to eat sweet things. That would be a nightmare for me:(

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]As a diabetic, it's not quite that easy for me!!!
[/quote]

luckylady
12-06-2009, 13:28
Took me a long time to get used to American washing powder I buy mine from Costo it's the nearest I can get to the one I use in the UK.
I must confess to taking Humbugs /Everton mints with me to Florida, I know it sounds mad but I cannot find anything similar. [msnwink]

chrizzy100
12-06-2009, 19:53
Do they do iced coffe black as I don't have dairy (or with soya)? Would it be any good?[msneek]
[/quote]

Ice tea is milk free ..the green tea is lovely ...

chrizzy100
12-06-2009, 19:57
Sometimes its not the powder but getting the temp right...we found the washing machine was put in wrong so the water was too cold..test it...

LiesaAnna
12-06-2009, 23:33
must admit i love the smell of the washing powders and conditioners we use over there, when we come home and pack awaay things such as our beach towels etc always brings back the lovely florida memories before we get there again, now PG tips teabags, afraid im guilty of taking my own..... would be happy to buy any that are very close to them... im really fussy here with tea to..... interesting post....... we loves u Blottie x

chrizzy100
13-06-2009, 01:43
I found PG tips in my cupboard in FL ..I have no idea where I got them from

sammibabe
13-06-2009, 02:39
Thanks Chrizzy. Will give it a try but I drink redbush so have to wait and see

flyrr100
14-06-2009, 16:30
The only thing I still have shipped in is gravy...I got rid of the last thing that says I'm English this year in my home..its now a true New England place..I have I think one flag that shows I'm a Brit...I will always keep one..I may live like a native..but I will always be British
[/quote]

I'm the same. The only thing British in my home, well a couple.... I have a great photo of my home town (Whitton) from the 1960's in my kitchen. And I tend to hang around in old Chelsea shirts. I have a collection of old corgi cars. Mostly British Fords. There's a folded Union Jack in my bedroom closet somewhere. I'm looking around as I type.... Thats about it! Oh, my old Raleigh racing bike I had in the 70s is hanging on my garage wall! I should clean it up one day and take it for a spin. Oh, another one... the 1968 Cortina is still in the garage. I should clean that up too! I guess I do still cling on to some memories. And good for me I say!

Cruella DeVilla
18-06-2009, 02:42
The only 2 food things in our house here that are British is guess what?

Cripes, I am almost frightened to say it...brown sauce and a couple packets of Walker crisps (Wocester sauce - yum), oh and in the freezer some bakery goods from the British bakery on the 192 but don't know if that counts.

chrizzy100
18-06-2009, 06:57
I tell you what I did find that was English...some of my Grandsons baby toys have English accents because they were sent over by Great Grandparents...the woman saying yellow circle on a Bob the Builder toy makes my daughter fall about laughing...it reminds her of her Aunt...

E. Cosgrove
18-06-2009, 11:02
A lot of our toys have US accents Chrissie, my grand daughter has a toy computer which recites the alphabet, funnily enough when it comes to the end it says zed and not zee but still with a definite US accent:D

mizzy
19-06-2009, 00:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla

Cripes, I am almost frightened to say it...brown sauce and a couple packets of Walker crisps (Wocester sauce - yum), oh and in the freezer some bakery goods from the British bakery on the 192 but don't know if that counts.[/quote]Cruella honey i would be more than happy to bring you a box full of walkers worcester sauce over in october if you wish, we're back again staying in your neck of the woods[msnwink] the new big favorites in this house are duck and hoisin sauce [msntongue] but not for me i'm a shadow of my former self these days:D

Cruella DeVilla
19-06-2009, 01:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla

Cripes, I am almost frightened to say it...brown sauce and a couple packets of Walker crisps (Wocester sauce - yum), oh and in the freezer some bakery goods from the British bakery on the 192 but don't know if that counts.[/quote]Cruella honey i would be more than happy to bring you a box full of walkers worcester sauce over in october if you wish, we're back again staying in your neck of the woods[msnwink] the new big favorites in this house are duck and hoisin sauce [msntongue] but not for me i'm a shadow of my former self these days:D[/quote]Fabulous on all counts!