PDA

View Full Version : Gulf coast villa ?

peterB
21-05-2009, 16:35
Hello, I know there are tons of threads about gulf coast villa's allready and I have read most of them, However I have a more specific question and I hope someone can point us in the right direction.

For our 2010 holiday we are looking to rent a villa at the gulf coast but we would like to stay in a resort where there is a communal pool as well so that our kids can interact more with other kids or even a resort where there is some form of kids entertainment. Does anyone know if a stay like this would be possible ? We are very open minded re location.
Thanks very much for your advice.

Pookie
21-05-2009, 17:23
Hi Peter

There are very few resort type locations on the Gulf Coast, by comparison to Orlando.

Rotonda West for example is a deed restricted community but there is no community pool; depending on your children's ages there is the playground in the center.

There are numerous beaches in the locality where there should be other children who your children could play with. There is kayaking, fishing horse riding, boat rentals and much more.
Many owners provide bikes for guests and there are trails to follow.

Hope this helps and enjoy.

Lynne

Katys Grandad
21-05-2009, 18:12
I know the Gulf Coast reasonably well but I can't think of any Resort that has 'villas' with private pools as well as a communal pool and entertainment for children. If you are prepared to take a condo instead, you'll have plenty of choice of resorts of that type actually situated on the beach so you get the best of both worlds - but no private pool.

I suppose it depends which is the most important to you but I'd be surprised if you find somewhere that ticks all your boxes.

Ruth
21-05-2009, 18:13
If you do a search on the Gulf coast villas on this site there is a 4 bedroom villa on a community at Port Charlotte with a communal pool, games room, gym, and tennis courts although no kids entertainment as such. That may fill your requirements [8D]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by peterB

For our 2010 holiday we are looking to rent a villa at the gulf coast but we would like to stay in a resort where there is a communal pool as well so that our kids can interact more with other kids or even a resort where there is some form of kids entertainment. Does anyone know if a stay like this would be possible ? We are very open minded re location.
Thanks very much for your advice.
[/quote]

peterB
23-05-2009, 00:06
Thank you for all your replies. I am sure we'll find something nice anyway.

marion46
27-05-2009, 12:54
I have visited that community at Port Charlotte and the Communal pool is huge and is fantastic for children who really like to swim

Do not forget the wonderful family beaches on the gulf close side of Florida

On one of our trips we made friends with other families and we all met up at the Myakka state Park and had a fantastic day out with lots to do. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
If you do a search on the Gulf coast villas on this site there is a 4 bedroom villa on a community at Port Charlotte with a communal pool, games room, gym, and tennis courts although no kids entertainment as such. That may fill your requirements [8D]
Thanks very much for your advice.[/quote][/quote]

Funshine
28-05-2009, 03:17
I can vouch for the fabulous beaches on the Gulf coast, we went to Stump Pass yesterday. It was absolutely lovely, quiet, not too many people, lots of shells and fishing going on too. There's also a museum for those wanting to catch up on their culture.

Also been to Indian Shores and Beach; and St Petes, all very nice wide and sandy, beautiful clear water you can see the shoals of tiny fish, the kids will love it!

Pookie
28-05-2009, 11:41
Stump Pass is our favourite, did you walk to the end, wonderful views over the pass.
It is also a great beach for sharks teeth.

Lynne

Mo Green
28-05-2009, 14:23
Stump Pass is also our favourite beach especially for walking along as the sun sets and watching dolphins close to the shore with sometimes only a heron for company. With free parking from an hour before sunset it does not get much better.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2009528101834_Sunset70.jpg

Mo

Katys Grandad
28-05-2009, 15:41
If you want a beach, these were taken a few weeks ago on Sanibel. If there's a better one on the Gulf Coast, I haven't seen it yet. Although you won't have a private pool, all the other things you are looking for are there. (Car Park not required!)

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/katys grandad/2009528113751_P1010169.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/katys grandad/2009528113845_P1010167.jpg

Some more were posted by The Bodger earlier this week:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_50784.asp

thornton
28-05-2009, 17:59
My experience of Sanibel is unless you two or three hours to spare each day getting on or off is a nightmare. In fact the last time we went the beaches were busy and there was nowhere to park the car. 15 years ago when we first went it was fine but now I really wouldn't bother.

Stump Pass or Manosota Beach for me

Snapper
28-05-2009, 18:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
If you want a beach, these were taken a few weeks ago on Sanibel. If there's a better one on the Gulf Coast, I haven't seen it yet.[/quote]
Try Manasota. It's absolutely beautiful.

There's another wonderful beach about half way up Manasota Key too. I think it's called Blind Pass beach or Stump Pass beach. That's gorgeous as well.

Katys Grandad
28-05-2009, 18:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by thornton
My experience of Sanibel is unless you two or three hours to spare each day getting on or off is a nightmare. In fact the last time we went the beaches were busy and there was nowhere to park the car. 15 years ago when we first went it was fine but now I really wouldn't bother.

Stump Pass or Manosota Beach for me
[/quote]

I think the evidence is there to see! That photograph was taken 3 weeks ago around 2.30 pm. Does it look crowded to you?

On the other point, it's never taken me more than 15 minutes to get on or off the island and I reckon I've been there around 40 times over the past 15 years or so.

If you want some more recent photos have a look at http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_50272.asp. They were taken in March - the beach looks deserted to me![msnsmile2]

Katys Grandad
28-05-2009, 18:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
If you want a beach, these were taken a few weeks ago on Sanibel. If there's a better one on the Gulf Coast, I haven't seen it yet.[/quote]

There's another wonderful beach about half way up Manasota Key too. I think it's called Blind Pass beach or Stump Pass beach. That's gorgeous as well.
[/quote]

I agree Steve - I've been there. Still think Sanibel's the best though.

florida4sun
28-05-2009, 19:48
We used to spend a lot of time on the west coast and had property at Sanibel but always ended up using the smaller beaches such as stump pass. Always found the fossil and shark tooth finding much better there too, which used keep us entertained for hours. Stump pass is also great for seeing Dolphins, never failed there.
They are all nice beaches but Sanibel never grabbed us like the other did.

Ruth
28-05-2009, 20:43
For me it is Manasota Key every time, I have never found beaches that I love as much as those[8D]

Snapper
28-05-2009, 21:19
And don't forget ... we're photographing the sunset there this summer Ruth!! [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

mollymolly
28-05-2009, 21:22

[/quote]

It is Blind Pass and it is a beautiful beach. We were there over Easter and found it very quiet. It has a large car park which is absolutely free to park.

My favourite is Stump Pass at the tip of Manasota Key. I love the nature walk and the fact that you can either look out to sea or over the inter costal waterway. You will often find fishermen casting into the Gulf while closely observed by herons. When the fisherman is distracted the herons help themselves to a fish or two from the catch. It is so funny to see.

Bernadette

Katys Grandad
28-05-2009, 21:24
Inevitably, we'll all have our own favourites and there aren't any really poor beaches on the Gulf Coast. I like the area around Manasota Key but the drawback for me is finding somewhere to stay actually on or within walking distance of the beach. I'm not a fan of having to pack the car, drive and park every time I fancy some time on the beach. I can do that at home!

As posted above, it's unlikely the OP will find somewhere that has everything he's looking for so it's a case of deciding which isn't all important.

dcnurse
28-05-2009, 22:40
Has anyone been to Anna Maria Island? Thinking of going in August any advise appreciated[msnsmile2]

mollymolly
28-05-2009, 22:45
here is a photo I took of a cheeky heron at Stump Pass.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mollymolly/2009528184158_heron2.jpg

One of the things I love about Stump pass is the wildlife. We often see dolphins swimming past and there are so many different birds they often outnumber the sunbathers [msncool]

Bernadette

peterB
28-05-2009, 23:32
Although it seems that there isn't exactly what I described but I have gathered a lot of usefull tips from all the reactions. I am already checking out the places that were pointed out to me. Thanks again

Ruth
29-05-2009, 01:07
Don't worry, I am not forgetting it[msnsmile2]Dinner at South Beach then a walk at sunset to get some good photos[8D]

And don't forget ... we're photographing the sunset there this summer Ruth!! [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
[/quote]

Katys Grandad
30-05-2009, 10:45
Although it seems that there isn't exactly what I described but I have gathered a lot of usefull tips from all the reactions. I am already checking out the places that were pointed out to me. Thanks again
[/quote]

I've just realised that the South Seas Resort on Captiva has all the things you're looking for. Make sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices.

florida4sun
30-05-2009, 11:30
I really would not recommend the south seas resort. It looks really nice in the pictures. During our last few weeks in Florida we decided to travel around Florida a bit and stayed there. We had only booked 5 nights and it was not cheap. Booked into a 'beach front condo'. First one was ver worn and a tip. Second one was not much better and 3rd was ok but nothing special. We lasted 2 nights, everywhere you needed to get to was by walking on the road, with a wheelchair this was a real pain. The walk to the beach meant you had to go past all the communal trash bins. To me beach front should mean just that, out your door onto beach. The harbour area was nice but when the breeze turned it really stank and I mean ewwww nasty. This was apparently due to a poor design which meant dead water stays in the harbour area and 'nothing can be done about it'. We really are easily pleased bu this place disappointed us. Tips were built in everywhere so no incentive for anything other than stiff, abrupt service. The 'best' place to eat was right next to the stinky harbour. So we insisted of take out food, which was mediocre and expensive. The condos were small and compact and nowhere near the standard of the villas we maintained back in Kissimmee. It appears that beach front means very basic accommodation, I guess they assume your going to so impressed with the location that you may not notice. The third condo we had was apparently one of the best! Second evening we shared with next doors radio out on the balcony. Which I would have thrown into the see had we been truly beach front.
I spent the second evening on the internet (using dial up as no connection) finding somewhere decent to make up for it.
Also it was a pretty boring place, beach was nice but that was about it, nothing else of interest for more than a couple of days. We could not get out fast enough. We were very disappointed. Each to their own I guess. $400 per night plus a compulsary $20 daily fee fee for access to pool, beach chairs and wifi that did not work.
Due to the terms we were told that no refund was due so they expect to keep my $1600 for the remaining 3 nights. Luckily amex's legal cover helped with that!
We ended up back in a private villa, cost was less. Accommodation 10 x the standard. Plus not having to 'bag' pool side beds was a big plus.

[/quote]

I've just realised that the South Seas Resort on Captiva has all the things you're looking for. Make sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices.
[/quote]

Katys Grandad
30-05-2009, 12:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
I really would not recommend the south seas resort.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Did you visit before Hurricane Charley? I ask because it was closed for around 2 years after and has been completely refurbished (it took a direct hit). I think it only re-opened about a year ago and might be back to its best. I have stayed there myself would agree that before that it was getting in need of some investment. It does however have homes with pools to rent within the property and ticks all the other boxes peterb is looking for.

I wasn't necessarily recommending it and it is without doubt very expensive. If I could afford it, I'd probably go back but I agree that the old condos were very pricey for what they then offered. As you say, there are some amazing properties on Captiva for rent outside the resort but they don't offer all the aspects required.

The pictures posted by Tonish in this thread shows what kind of thing is available on Captiva (at a price):

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_37969.asp

florida4sun
30-05-2009, 13:01
To be fair yes it was before the Hurricane. I have had a look at the map and I cannot see as the layout has changed much. The photos of the condos look similar on the site but that had no relation to what we actually got furnishing wise. This may have changed now but I wonder what it will be like once it starts showing wear and tear.
It looks fabulous on the web site and did back when we booked. The beaches on the site look much brighter, as though groomed. That certainly was not the case when we went.
It sounds like am I a litter bitter, which I am! With Alex in his and the rigmarole of travelling we always paid for good accommodation to ensure a relaxing trouble free stay. This was the only time we were let down.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
I really would not recommend the south seas resort.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Did you visit before Hurricane Charley? I ask because it was closed for around 2 years after and has been completely refurbished (it took a direct hit). I think it only re-opened about a year ago and might be back to its best. I have stayed there myself would agree that before that it was getting in need of some investment. It does however have homes with pools to rent within the property and ticks all the other boxes peterb is looking for.

I wasn't necessarily recommending it and it is without doubt very expensive. If I could afford it, I'd probably go back but I agree that the old condos were very pricey for what they then offered. As you say, there are some amazing properties on Captiva for rent outside the resort but they don't offer all the aspects required.

The pictures posted by Tonish in this thread shows what kind of thing is available on Captiva (at a price):

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_37969.asp

[/quote]

Katys Grandad
30-05-2009, 13:30
Fair comment.

If I did go back it wouldn't be to a condo or hotel room. I have to say that I felt a bit like a Poor Relation last time.

Tonish
30-05-2009, 13:50
Hi guys

Been away for a while,just spotted this thread.

Last year we looked round the South Seas resort and I must say it was impressive. Not for me, I'm a villa man, but there were plenty of families there. We met a couple of people who claimed it was perfect and they would definitely be back. Mrs Tonish was quite tempted(I assure you she's not easily impressed)on the basis that it would be great for the kids.

Didn't see into any of the condos so can't comment on their maintenance, but the rest of the resort was beautifully kept. Assuming the condos have been upgraded since the hurricane, I would think it's just the sort of thing peterB is looking for.

peterB
31-05-2009, 11:36
I must say that South Seas resort is indeed the type of place we are looking for. Unfortunately it is "slightly" above our budget but I do appreciate that this resort was pointed out to us.

RotondaFL
24-06-2009, 23:01
To get back to the original question:
A brand new community pool and skate board park is located just 5 minutes from Rotonda West on San Casa Drive located in the new Oyster Creek Regional Park.

atush
20-07-2009, 19:01
If you can't find what you want community wise, and still want a private pool, lots of the beaches (like say Englewwod on Manasota Key and there is one in DT Sarasota by the bay) have children's play areas where they can meet others.

Rotonda, I thought that was for Oyster Creek residents- is it open to all? I assume then it is pay to enter.

Clare R
20-07-2009, 19:56
The park in San Casa Drive is paid for by Charlotte County Property Tax so is available to all.

The swimming pool has a charge but I don't know about other parts of the park, my feeling is there would be no charge, already paid for in the high Property Tax.

atush
23-11-2009, 14:26
Anna Maria Island is very nice. Very low rise, quiet, no chains, family oriented.

But I too love Stump Pass and Blind Pass beaches on Manasota Key. Better for sharks teeth these days than Venice I find. And cheaper to retn neaby than on Sanibel. I love Sanibel but find it pricy. For that much money per week, I find I'd rather go to Antigua.

7165red
24-05-2011, 01:27
florida4sun, I agree with your post. I became aquainted with Fort Myers Beach because there were so many condos that were gulf front and you just had to take the elevator down to the beach. I was recovering from a back operation so FMB fit the bill. I also enjoyed going to Times Sq. for dining and people watching. We did go over to Sanibel and while is was very nice but the parking was awful. I guess if you want to pay top dollar you can find something right on the beach. I also thought the nights were too quiet. I love renting villa's and now I am spoiled. South Sea looks great from the outside. To the OP, I hope you find what you are looking for.

7165red
25-05-2011, 03:17
Katsy grandad, you post beautiful pictures, may I ask the name of the resort.