PDA

View Full Version : refused entry

derek gibson
20-05-2009, 22:35
hi last september 08 i traveled to orlando airport with my family,5 of us, as i live and work in kissimmee, myself ,my wife and two of our children on e-visas ,our eldest son that is 22 came with us on the waiver as he live and works in the UK,and they refused him entry ,and he has never been in trouble in any way what so ever,but on the day they just said no and put him back on the plane back to the UK,the only thing i can think of is that it was the day befor 9/11 so security was at its max ,i complaned to the homland security and other but all i got back was it was down to the officer on the gate ,,,great thanks WELCOME TO AMERICA ,so please dont take anything for granted
my son wants to come to see me but is scarred he might get refused again,has anyone got any ideas?he has been told he has to go and get a visa now as well[msnsad]

blott
20-05-2009, 23:07
I'm thinking that they're thinking that as the rest of you all live in Florida and you were all travelling together, that your son was also intending to do the same.

ShirleyD
21-05-2009, 00:41
I would suggest a visa would be the only safe option taking proof of his intention to live in the UK.
Many years ago my brother went with a friend to visit the friends extended family. His friend had to take letters from his school to say he was going to return to the UK to finish his schooling

steph_goodrum
21-05-2009, 02:22
It's true that he will need to apply for a Visa as he has been refused entry but hopefully it will be straightforward enough if he takes evidence of his work commitments and if he has a rented property or is buying. If has signed a new rental agreement before he visits that is good proof to them he intends to return.

derek gibson
21-05-2009, 18:44
hi thanks for your comments ,i wll keep my fingers crossed forwhen he has his interview

KathleenO
07-06-2009, 08:20
That is insane! Did they not give you any reasoning for why he was turned away? Maybe someone who had the same name as him got into trouble. They are very strict these days. But sometimes they can be nice because my Guatemalan friend went there without a transit visa, not knowing that you needed a visa just to pass through. She was detained for many hours but they let her go on to Mexico!! I guess she was just lucky.

chrizzy100
07-06-2009, 08:48
They think he is going to stay in the US...this is common and happen a lot...

derek gibson
10-11-2010, 01:06
he has been refused a visa and told dont re-apply what is wrong with them ?

chrizzy100
10-11-2010, 01:29
they think he plans on staying for good..its one of the downfalls once you move here for so many

Dads_Taxi
10-11-2010, 02:45
Derek, that's atrocious, I can't imagine how upsetting that must be for you and your family.

Words fail me, they really do.

derek gibson
10-11-2010, 02:50
i have complained to everyone even the president of the USA and and the they all agree with me but they all say the same ,,,,at the end of the day its down to the person on the gate gr..........[msnsad]

derek gibson
10-11-2010, 02:54
anyone want to buy a business .i need to sell and come back to the UK

steph_goodrum
10-11-2010, 03:30
Derek
We had a friend who was refused entry as they wrongly thought he intended to work, , his first Visa application was refused but he was told he could reapply a year later and that application was granted and he has visited several times since.

With the Visa waiver you don't have the right of appeal on entry or even to know why you have been refused entry but you would think once you went for interview they would give you some indication as to why, especially if there was a case of a similar name causing confusion with someone on a watch list or with a known criminal background.

derek gibson
10-11-2010, 17:47
thank you all there is still hope but the whole deal has put him off comming to see me as he thinks it might happen again

steph_goodrum
10-11-2010, 18:14
Del

Do you by any chance know Suzie who runs an Expats group in the area. She is very well versed in the visa area and I think her son was in a similar position at one time?

derek gibson
10-11-2010, 18:33
hi steph
i have been on that site and i think it was her husband i was talking to and they advised me to talk to someone they knew in the british embassy but nothing good came of it
thank you for your kind help
i never give up,but my head is sore from banging it aginst the walls

drino
10-11-2010, 23:56
Terrible eh...few yrs back we went with a police officer whos name is ' john conaty',he was stopped at cistoms and led into a room for an hour as there is a john conaty who is a ira bomb suspect and has killed many people...crazy but guess they doing their work!
im gonna wear my bomb squad t shirt next yr when visit orlando hahaha....not!!

ukman
11-11-2010, 03:20
The only advice that I have been told, is that for your son to disassociate with you. Rather than say he is coming to visit family is that he travels with someone else and say he is on holiday and staying at a hotel, cuz if he says he is coming to stay with you being that you now reside in the states they will think he has no intention of returning.

SDJ
11-11-2010, 08:37
Del, how long is it since you have been on ExPats Voice? Susie's husband has been dead a few years now so it could not have been him you spoken with. I would log onto the site again and get in touch with Susie. She appears to be quite knowledgeable and you may find several people on the forum in the same sort of position. It's worth a try.

Sandra

derek gibson
13-11-2010, 01:40
ok thanks i will give it a go
thanks for all your advice

esprit
23-11-2010, 02:49
Unfortunately this happens quite a lot. Have known several people on visas and even a couple on green cards whose adult kids have been denied entry. They suspect immigrant intent, intent to overstay and/or intent to work for the parents business, rightly or wrongly. One couple I know who were green card holders have given up their green cards and gone home because of just such a problem, basically their son was not able to visit them again. It is hard to persuade the embassy otherwise once they have got the idea in their heads. One of the problems is you are more likely to get a B visa if you can prove really firm ties to the UK such as owning property but of course few young people can afford to do this nowadays.