PDA

View Full Version : so confusing

dollydimples
11-05-2009, 18:20
I have been reading all the posts on here and some sound really nerve wrecking, has anyone ever got to florida and been refused entry and had to come back home? that would really be heart breaking for the families[msnsad]

lafifille
11-05-2009, 21:44
Why would something like that happen to you? If you had no problems with the questions on the ESTA, you'll be just fine. I've travelled to the US many times, and always encountered immigration officers who were courteous and polite, some even quite chatty and friendly. I try to choose the older ones, the young officers sometimes have that "I've got the power" attitude [msnwink].
Plus you have one big advantage over many travellers: you speak the language!:D:D:D

Relax, you'll be fine and have a great vacation.

CERICROWLEY
11-05-2009, 23:37
The only real problem would be if you have a criminal record.

If you have any other concerns, just ask. Usually everything is fine and you just need your esta filled out online prior to your departure, and the green visa waiver from on your arrival. What sometimes can cause upset and friction is if you filled the form out wrong and have to go to the back of the queue and fill in another one.

FraserLynn
12-05-2009, 00:38
Never had a problem and never seen anyone else have one, They don't always share in your "I've just arrived on my holiday" spirit, but I have found them all to be courteous and efficient. They have no interest at all in getting in the way of the genuine holiday maker so please don't worry, apart from maybe a bit of a queue it will pass without incident I am sure.

Robert5988
12-05-2009, 00:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I've travelled to the US many times, and always encountered immigration officers who were courteous and polite, some even quite chatty and friendly. I try to choose the older ones, the young officers sometimes have that "I've got the power" attitude [/quote]

I have encountered many that were sullen, but then I never get a chance to 'choose' my immigration officer; I am always directed to an officer!

That said in the last couple of years I have detected a better attitude.

I suspect the main reason for refusing entry will be for people they suspect might breach the conditions of entry - seek work, stay longer than 90 days etc. Normally younger people with no apparent funds to support themselves.

Albert the Frog
12-05-2009, 02:13
I think I've posted in the past about out air rage incident where a guy and his son were absolutely smashed and fighting on the plane-at immigration they "shepherded" him and his family to what looked like a senior officer who took them into an office-we thought that they would be sent back but we saw them waiting for a bus whilst we were picking up our car-so they let them in-and to think I used to worry about putting my gender in wrong on the visa waiver form!