PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Miami airport from Orlando

markhula
10-05-2009, 05:38
Hi all,

We are taking an extra internal flight to Great Exuma (poor credit card [msncry]).My superior half is driving from Orlando to Miami airport, but isn't happy about the 4 hr journey ; have checked the route etc. on tomtom.
Can anyone recommend a travellodge type overnight accomodation (i.e. cheap but cheerful); something with perhaps some resturants nearby (is there a Manny's on route to Miami?[msnwink]), and not far from the airport.

Any help or suggestions as always appreciated!

Nina A
10-05-2009, 15:49
The drive to Miami airport from Orlando is very easy but very boring as there is not much to see on route and very few places to stop. Tell your superior half that it really isn't a big deal to drive.

Sorry I don't know of anywhere cheap to stay but if you haven't been before then it is well worth detouring to South Beach. Easy to get to from the airport, gorgeous restored Art Deco buildings and a great vibe. Plenty of places to stay and eat too.

Have a great time [8D]

CarolAnn
10-05-2009, 19:00
Have to agree with Nina, the journey is BORING, but when we arrived in Miami a few Easters ago, we came straight through, picked our car up and from landing to driving was less than 30 minutes...seriously. So if you consider how long it can often be from landing to driving away at closer airports, you can actually console yourself that door to door the journey is not too bad. :) That said I have to admit, I didn't do the driving, but I stayed awake in full support the whole time[msnwink]. Sorry we didn't do an overnight stop. We made a stop on route for refreshments and leg stretch etc, but I am personally glad we kept going, once at the villa the hols begins in earnest![8D] Good luck whatever you decide:)

ellie
10-05-2009, 20:27
We quite enjoy the drive down to Miami from Orlando. The Turnpike is a good road and there are eight service areas on the turnpike approximately every 45 miles. It does get much busier nearer to Boca Raton, about 40 miles out of Miami but it is an easy route.

There are many of the 'chain' hotels near the airport and many have free shuttles to the airport too.

There is a Best Western Airport Inn and Suites with a Comfort Suites beside it which is quite acceptable - but make sure it is this hotel and not some of the others.