PDA

View Full Version : Tee Off times Late August/Early september

staffsbhoy
09-05-2009, 00:49
Hi,

First post to the forum. I'm out with the family last two weeks in august & early september. Just a few quick questions as this is my first trip to Florida. Myself and my lad hope to play quite a few rounds of golf, we are staying at Southern Dunes.

1. Whats the best times for tee-ing off. Thinking of how busy and how hot etc.
2. Whats the latest time for tee-ing off thinking about when it gets dark etc.
3. We will be playing Southern dunes a few times can you recommend a few courses nearby to Southern Dunes for a change and perhaps costs.

Any other advice for a first time player in Florida would be greatly appreciated. I play of 14 and my 11 year old lad is already a good 28 handicapper. any info greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah courses near shopping malls so I can drop My wife and daughter off would also be helpful whilst me and the lad play

Cheers Jim

MarkJan
09-05-2009, 15:56
Cheapest time is in the afternoon. You will find the course(s) busy in the morning. The good thing about the courses in Florida is there are usually 4-5 sets of tees, you can make the course as hard or easy as you wish.

I have just played Diamondback and that is well worth a visit if a little tight.

Can't help with the shopping.

edlea
09-05-2009, 17:01
Staffsbhoy -

Mornings are busier because (a) it's cooler and (b) there's less chance of play being suspended due to lightning.
This means that afternoons are quieter and usually, quite a bit cheaper. Courses will give you a "rain check" if you can't complete a round due to weather so you can return another day to finish off.
It's their low / quiet season so often there will be course maintenance happening : scarification, fertilizing etc. and the greens are often not up to championship standard - this is of course reflected in the green fees; our "home" course charges $150 pp in peak season but just $44 in August.
Depending where you play the last tee-off times differ. On some couses the caddy master wants to go home at 6.00pm or 7.00pm and therefore won't let you out after say 2.00pm. However, we played one course last year where the caddy master just trusted us with the carts (buggies) saying he was going home at 3.00pm and we played 30 holes until it was dark !
Always phone the course before setting out, and ask if they have any "special" deals on ; because it's their quiet time of year there are often discounts to be had - some not even advertised, so ask. Last year again we played a superb course on the gulf coast where it was $60 for me but my 16yr old lad went free - mighty fine value, but even though they could see he was a young lad, no-one mentioed it till I asked. You can often find discount coupons in the local newspapers or golf equipment shops. Hope this info is useful. Good luck and enjoy.

Anthony Brook
11-05-2009, 01:36
Southern Dunes do a "fore play" deal in the summer months. You pay $140 and you play four rounds at any time of the day and on any day including weekends.

You can tee off at 5pm no problem. I think twilight golf starts at 3pm in August and this is usually $39+tax including cart.

As mentioned above these are cheap rates compared with the winter months. I think we paid about $75 last week didn't we Mark? That was a Sunday morning though. Diamondback do some great deals but it is very tight and you would need a few balls with you. That is about 15 mins from you and Ridgewood Lakes is 5 minutes up the US 27, again cheap in the summer. I paid $23 last August there and $22 at Diamondback.

staffsbhoy
16-05-2009, 00:46
many thanks for the replies, really usefull. Cannot wait to get out there and try some of the courses. Just one quick question. Is play likely to be suspended for lightning late afternoons. I understand this is common late August early September? Many thanks

edlea
16-05-2009, 03:56
"Just one quick question. Is play likely to be suspended for lightning late afternoons. I understand this is common late August early September? Many thanks"

Oh yes indeedy. VERY likely.

MarkJan
16-05-2009, 07:12
It is possible that play will be suspended. I have had this once and went to the clubhouse and asked for a raincheck. This allowed me to come back within 7 days for free. The course may ask how many holes you have played and offer you a raincheck for the remainder of 18 but I was lucky and offered another round (at Legends).

edlea
16-05-2009, 21:40
Staffsbhoy - Just to clarify - you asked about play suspension in "late afternoon". By "late afternoon" I assume you're talking any time after about 3.30pm - 4.00pm ish. We usually play very early mornings to avoid the problem but we have lots of experience of it because our villa backs on to "our" golf course. In late July and August when we're there, I'd say play is suspended on average every other day sometime around 4.00pm.
Another added bonus of playing early morning is you can be finished for 11.00am, just in time to grab a bacon sandwich before heading out to the malls with the wife. (cough, cough) [:O]

Anthony Brook
17-05-2009, 00:35
I play quite a lot in the afternoons and have had a couple of rainchecks. The last one was at Southern Dunes and teed off with nobody in front of me.

When the storm came I was 2 hours into my round so I went in and told them I had got to the 9th when in fact I had squeezed in all 18[msnsmile]

staffsbhoy
17-05-2009, 13:29
Hi, once again many many thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful. With myself and my lad of 11 playing it would seem to be a balance between starting early and perhaps a bit busier but avoiding the late afternoon storm. Or play later when quieter but perhaps interupted. The raincheck system seems good and I think I will probably play both early morning and in the afternoon to fit in with our other holiday plans. Cheers and thanks for all the info.