PDA

View Full Version : School Bus .... what exactly are the rules?

Nostromo
10-12-2003, 20:54
I am a bit confused about what excatly to do if we see a school bus stopped. We stayed at Disney resorts during previous visits and did very little driving...and it was school hols anyway. But this time, we will be staying at the SR192-US27 area villas and have to drive into town a lot, often at school time. So, what do I do if

a) I see a school bus stopped with lights flashing in front of me going the same way?

b) Stooped on the other side of a non-divided road with lights flashing?

c) Finally, stopped on the other side of a divided highway?

Please help! These American traffic rules are sometimes maddening!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-12-2003, 20:57
a) Stop and wait until the school bus stop sign and flashing lights are gone.

b) As for a) above.

c) Not sure - if there was an obvious way for children to easily cross onnto your side of the road then definitely stop. Anyone else know?

bellaepovera
10-12-2003, 21:18
Always stop no matter where you are, behind in front or on other side as this will give you a big time ticket if you dont. Most busses do not let children off on main highways so there should be no problem on that part.

chrizzy100
10-12-2003, 21:44
quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

I am a bit confused about what excatly to do if we see a school bus stopped. We stayed at Disney resorts during previous visits and did very little driving...and it was school hols anyway. But this time, we will be staying at the SR192-US27 area villas and have to drive into town a lot, often at school time. So, what do I do if

a) I see a school bus stopped with lights flashing in front of me going the same way?

If you see a school bus with lights flashing.....and you're behind it...or if its on the other side of the road......you must stop giving the kids room to cross the road......it will use a stop sign...if you're diving behind the bus.....stay well back...even a little knock to a school bus has to be reported to the police.....that could tie you up for hours until a fire truck gets to see all the kids....and parents get to pick them up....and I'm talking only a little knock here not a crash.....

florida4sun
10-12-2003, 22:39
Personally I think the driving rules in Florida are excellent where school buses are concerned. I only wish we had the same rules in England. Here are the rules for you.
You can get a look at the Florida driving here http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/

School Buses
On a two-way street or highway, all drivers moving in either direction must stop for a stopped school bus which is picking up or dropping off children. You must remain stopped until all children are clear of the roadway and the bus signal has been withdrawn. Violation of this law is considered a moving violation and is subject to a mandatory hearing.
If the highway is divided by a raised barrier or an unpaved median at least five feet wide, you do not have to stop if you are moving in the opposite direction of the bus. Painted lines or pavement markings are not considered to be barriers. If you are moving in the same direction as the bus, you must always stop - and not go forward until the bus stop signal has been withdrawn.

quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

Citrus-view
11-12-2003, 01:53
Hi The Florida Highway code states if the road is divided ie has grass down the middle you do not have to stop.

It is worth noting that if the bus with red lights flashing is on the opposit side of a junction and you are within 100 feet STOP!

Also watchout for wardens, they have small stop boards and yellow jackets and or police officers. They will oftern patrol junctions to let the little ones cross.

Please note that if you are in a school zone and the amber lights are flashing the speed limit is 15 MPH

Hope that this helps

florida4sun
11-12-2003, 17:58
Only if you are going in the opposite direction. You must stop if you are behing the school bus, divided highway or not.

quote:Originally posted by Citrus-view

Hi The Florida Highway code states if the road is divided ie has grass down the middle you do not have to stop.

chrisj
11-12-2003, 23:26
luckily we never came across any school buses on our last visit, we did pass 2 schools though
everytine we went out our came back

Nostromo
12-12-2003, 14:04
Reading all this makes me sweat as to what to expect! Meeting a school bus in the USA seems only slightly less dangerous than a Tiger Tank. I suppose we will have to keep eyes peeled for school buses. kids, wardens, cops etc AND make sure that we take the right exit or turn. At this rate, I won't be very surpised to see a sign saying "Miami 50 miles" :D:D

athurstance
12-12-2003, 14:16
You probably won't see many at all in the tourist areas. If in doubt and the bus lights are flashing just stop and wait.

Amirah
12-12-2003, 20:11
No flashing lights or stop sign, you can pass.