PDA

View Full Version : Car Rental Return to Miami

lorveney
21-04-2009, 01:38
Hi all,

Going to Florida (again!) in mid-May for two weeks and I'm currently looking at car rental company options. For the last few years we have booked with Dollar either to and from Orlando International or to and from Sanford. This year, however, we are flying into Orlando International but back from Miami. We have done this twice before but many years ago and I seem to remember the car rental returns were off-airport. Is this still the case with Dollar, Alamo and Budget?

Currently weighing up the pros and cons of using Dollar or Alamo, probably and Miami return is one factor. Other factors are that Alamo is currently cheaper than Dollar (7 seater minivan, 15 days, Gold option since four drivers) and we like the idea of picking the car from a line. On the Dollar side, we have Dollar Express membership and do not want to be queueing two or three hours which might be the case with a full Virgin 747 jumbo.

Any suggestions anyone?

fiona
21-04-2009, 03:43
We have often flown in and out of Miami as we live very near Heathrow. Dollar, Alamo and Budget are off-airport and you catch a bus to and from, they are very efficient and go every 5 / 10 minutes.

We used Budget at Christmas and had no more than a 20 min wait, don't recall a huge queue at Dollar when we used them but it does depend if 2 international flights come in at the same time.

BTW they seem to have vastly improved the Immigration section and you are through much quicker, and as friendly as the Orlando people are.

Katys Grandad
21-04-2009, 09:12
As you're collecting your car in Orlando, thankfully you don't need to be concerned about immigration and the length of the lines at the rental desks in Miami. Flying out of Miami International is always preferable to flying into it.

However, the return locations, while close to the airport, aren't that easy to find especially if you haven't collected from there. I'd suggest that you either hire a Sat Nav or drive to the airport (which is well signposted) and then follow the colour-coded signs to the Rental returns from there. The trip from the depot to the airport is about 5 - 10 minutes but the buses can get very crowded and you may have to wait a few minutes for the next one if you have a large group or lots of bags. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Lindyloo
21-04-2009, 19:55
I fly in and out of Miami regularly for business. I would agree with some of the other comments.

All the car hire at Miami is off terminal. Either make sure you have a good Sat Nav, or else allow plenty of time to get to the airport. There is one particular turning that is very easy to miss, and if you do you find yourself right in the centre of the airport terminal. The only option is to get back out of the airport and try again[msnscared]

Having said that, the bus service back to the terminal buildings is always very good there. I have only ever had to wait a couple of minutes for a bus.

fiona
21-04-2009, 20:33
We find following all signs for Miami International Airport and then "Car Hire Returns" no problem whatsoever, more likely to make a mistake coming out of it, although we seem to have resolved this nowadays!

Sorry answered late last night and without my glasses on so didn't notice you were asking about coming in to Orlando regarding Dollar. However my comment about 2 international flights applies to either airport. It also depends what time of year it is - holidays will be much busier, so as long as you avoid the Memorial weekend (22 - 25 May)you should be ok. We made the mistake of travelling down one day without realising that it was a holiday and got caught in massive traffic jams making us rather late for checking in!

Katys Grandad
21-04-2009, 21:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by fiona
We find following all signs for Miami International Airport and then "Car Hire Returns" no problem whatsoever, more likely to make a mistake coming out of it, although we seem to have resolved this nowadays!
[/quote]

That never works for me however hard I try Fiona so we drive through the airport.

I recently heard somebody describe Miami International arrivals as a "Like a Third World Bus Station". A bit exaggerated but I thought it had enough of a ring of truth to it to be quite funny.:D

fiona
22-04-2009, 03:57
Very accurate description!

lorveney
22-04-2009, 12:57
Many thanks for the replies everyone.

We probably won't be getting a satnav as, except for the journey to Miami, we will be spending all our time around Orlando and Cape Coral which I know well having visited many times before. We will certainly follow your advice about the journey to Miami, however, plus study Google maps/streetview before we depart and allow extra time for the journey from car rental depot to the airport (an hour less to view the delights of Miami methinks!).

We hadn't realised the Memorial weekend fell during our stay, Fiona. We will be travelling from Orlando to Cape Coral on the Saturday and will now be aware that the roads may be a little busier than normal (will be staying well clear of the airports though!).

Thanks again,

Phil