PDA

View Full Version : Guest Feedback

pistonbroke
10-12-2003, 00:20
We recently got back from 19 wonderful days in Florida and had the most amazing holiday. I'm so glad I found this web-site while doing my intial research as it was invaluable in helping us find the right accommodation and planning our trip.

When I put in a request for a private villa, I was amazed at the swift resonse. I think I got about 75 emails in the first 24 hours.

We settled on Huckleberry-House in Thousand Oaks mainly for it's location as there are no other pools/cages in sight and it backed onto a lovely natural lake. Lesley, the owner answered all my numerous questions very speedily and was a joy to deal with. Although it had 5 bedrooms and there mainly only 2 of us, it was the perfect choice. The house is beautifully furnished and the bed in the Master Bedroom SO comfortable - I didn't want to leave it! We asked for the pool heating to be turned up on the first day (it was the middle of November) and no sooner than asked for it was done!

The location of the villa was great in our opinion. Just 5 minutes from the I4, 10 minutes or so to Disney and 20-25mins to Universal. It was just SO easy to get anywhere. There were shops close by in Champions Gate so running out of something was never an issue.

We enjoyed the theme parks very much, particularly Islands of Adventure. We are front seat roller coaster junkies and loved every one we went on. Our favourite was Kraken but Montu, Hulk and Duelling Dragons run it very close.

The highlight of our trip was swimming with wild Manatees at Homossassa Springs. These awesome, docile creatures only come into the river between November and March. It involved an overnight stay at a local hotel as the trip started at 6am. It's a 90 minute drive from Thousand Oaks so the alternative was a VERY early start! We were amazed at the size of the creatures, one was the size of a hippo! They are very inquisitive and some are incredibly friendly. Although you aren't meant to touch them, they seemed desparate to be touched and rolled around in front of you daring you to stroke them. We took lots of photo's with our underwater camera (without flash)but they kept coming too close to get a good shot. Although we were given 12mm wet suits to wear, I had to get out of the water after about 45 minutes as I was so cold. The water is a constant 72 degrees so I hadn't expected to shiver so much. My husband stayed in a further 20 minutes as one of the Manatees wouldn't leave him alone and kept wanting to interact. We deliberately chose Sunshine River Tours as this company offered boat trips with a maximum of 10 and were very glad we did as when we were leaving, another company pitched up with about 24 on board. They leapt into the water and were surrounding the animals and taking flash photography - none of which is allowed (you are briefed beforehand) but I was very pleased to see guys in kayaks doing voluntary Manatee watch and they soon had the situation under control. Captain Mike never hurried us at all and was a great source of information, although a quiet kind of chap we soon warmed to his dry sense of humour. We certainly would have no hesitation recommending them (if it's allowed on this forum) as the tour was tremendous value for money and Captain Mike and his deckhand Doreen made it very special indeed. Both my husband and I were 'high as kites' after our amazing experience and would do it again in a heartbeat! There is also a Wildlife Park in Homosassa so a full could be spent there. In fact, I could quite happily stay up there for a week - it's such a nice place.

Our first 4 days were spent down The Keys. Key West is very unique and really grows on you, it's vibrant, bizarre, with a real bohemian mix of people and steeped in history. We'd planned to do some diving but the weather wasn't brilliant at the beginning of the holiday. We did swim with dolphins at Dolphins Plus in Key Largo, a nice experience if you can close your mind to the confined spaces that these creatures live in. They are

Ruth
10-12-2003, 00:37
Thanks for your trip report:) Your experience with the manatees sounds particularly wonderful. I am so glad you liked your villa so much. As you found out it is a much better option than a hotel room even when there are only 2 of you[8D]

Maureen Edwards
10-12-2003, 00:54
Pistonbroke,
I read your report with excitement. We have just returned and we drove up very early in the morning and hired a boat from Homosassa Riverside resort and the 6 off us set sail off to the lagoon area where the Manatees come in. It was the most wonderful day, we were surrounded by Manatees and my Nephew who is an experienced Diver, went into the water and swam with the Manatees. Although you are not allowed to dive you can swim and snorkel. The warden was watching us carefully to ensure the safety of these huge, gentle animals. At one point my Nephew had around 12 Manatees vying for his attention! He was absolutely enthralled and all of us on the boat were very emotional. It was a wonderful site. The weather was perfect (although my Nephew did say the water was a little chilly!) We saw Bald Eagles flying overhead,Herons, Snowy Egrit (hope that is correct spelling) dozens of jumping fish, some shooting around 3 feet out of the water.When we returned the boat and asked the boat rental chap, 'Why do the fish jump out of the water like that?' expecting some scientific answer, he said ' Because they want to!'Apparently these fish had been studied and that was the only reason they could come up with.

We had taken a picnic and spent around 4 hours on the lagoon and then headed to Homasassa Springs Wildlife Park and spent a good 3 hours walking round there. This too is well worth a visit.

Florida has so many 'natural attractions', which we are starting to discover after many visits to the area. We still love Disney, Universal and all the other attractions, but must admit, this boat trip was something special and something I will always remember.

DISNEYDIVA
10-12-2003, 00:57
Hiya pistonbroke, The Keys - I would love to go there, where did you stay ? what were the room rates like and did you drive down. I quite fancy the "Bayview Inn" as featured on "A house in Florida" on British TV. Lesley :)

huckleberry house
10-12-2003, 00:58
Thank you so much for your feedback,and for your lovely comments about Huckleberry-house [:I][:I]
I would never have guessed this was your username,fantastic choice.:D The manatee tour is definitely on my list of must do trips,the sooner the better.The whole area around Homosassa looks spectacular,unfortunately I wont be there again until Easter which I think is too late for the Mantees,so I will have to force myself back over again in the winter,its a hard life.
[msnwink]

Lesley

pistonbroke
10-12-2003, 01:57
Hi Disney Diva
While in The Keys we stayed at Artists House, it's more a b & b than a hotel. It's very old and features in the historic tour, you can find a link to it on the web somewhere. We had the Garden Room. All the rooms have antique furniture and you have to be pretty athletic to climb into the 4 poster bed - I could have done with a step!

We did drive down but unfortunatley most of the trip was in a thunder storm which is quite scary on the 7 mile bridge!

There are lots and lots of hotels down there but they do get quite booked up so booking in advance would be an advantage!

The bars down there are just buzzing! There are live web cams in some of them (the Hog's Breath Saloon to name one) and our daughter saw us on the Internet and was well impressed.

Please be aware that prices down The Keys are a bit pricey. I think our room (on a late rooms rate) was about $110 for the night. Parking down there is an expensive nightmare so it may help to choose a hotel that has it's own car park.

Enjoy - we did!:)

cyclefan88
10-12-2003, 06:20
Oh I love Key West my favorite spot was Sloppy Joe's where Papa Hemingway used to hang out :D:D:D

Glad to hear you had a Great Time!

DISNEYDIVA
10-12-2003, 13:18
Pistonbroke, Thanks for the reply. I will look up the B&B on the net.
I will put the Keys top of my list for visiting. We would have to do it by coach tour, (We are scared drivers in Florida).Last year i remember there was a trip to swim with the dolphins down there. I would like to include Miami South Beach as we never got to see it last year(like you, due to a thunder storm). I particulary want to see the houses and the sunsets. Sounds like The Keys are more aimed at adults with the bars and romantic four posters. I will be the big "50" next year before we go so i will be ready to "PARTY".
;)

DISNEYDIVA
10-12-2003, 15:58
Pistonbroke, just been drooling over Artists House, what a magnificent place. That's gone onto my favourite's list also. Great place to spend a wedding anniversary, its our 20th next May. My wish list is getting so big now we need a lotto win. Thanks Lesley :D

lynn and ray
04-05-2004, 23:38
hey :D

steph_goodrum
04-05-2004, 23:48
I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. Thanks for the feedback on the manatee swim at Homossassa, I recommended this company to my cousins daughter as she is doing a marine biology degree and thought it might interest her, but its always better to know someone that has actually been and tried it.

Ray&Sarah
05-05-2004, 02:38
Pistonbroke,
Wonderful trip report, we love the keys for the laid back atmosphere. The year we visited Key West was when Hurricaine George had done it's worst and the devastation it left behind was still hugely apparent. A trolley bus driver relayed his experiences of being "holed up" in his apartment for the whole of the storm, an experience he said he would never repeat.
Glad you had such a lovely time.:)

LesleyB
09-05-2004, 22:49
Your trip sounds great - thanks for sharing with us. We will definitely add swimming with manatees when we are there in November or March.

Lesley:)

linda.s
12-11-2004, 22:39
Help! Can anyone find the link for Artists House? I have read this and wanted to bookmark it for future visits, but I can't find it!
Thanks! :D