PDA

View Full Version : ESTA and APIS Question

ujpest doza
09-04-2009, 14:24
I gave my APIS information when i booked my flights and then completed and was successful with our ESTAS.

Due to the owner losing the villa we'd booked because of the recession, we now have a different holiday address to what we originally stated.

Do i need to contact the airline and update the APIS information and also do i need to change my ESTA?

steph_goodrum
09-04-2009, 14:52
Yes and yes.

You will also still have to fill in the green form for visa waiver so if you put a different address on there to that registered you may find a problem. Not necessarily but if they dont correlate could raise a red flag.

NigelM
09-04-2009, 15:01
Oh no...

I thought that using ESTA meant you did not have to hand complete that pesky green form?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-04-2009, 15:05
I'm afraid you still have to fill in the green form [msnsad].
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NigelM
Oh no...

I thought that using ESTA meant you did not have to hand complete that pesky green form?
[/quote]

NigelM
09-04-2009, 15:10
I travel in July..will it still be the case then?

steph_goodrum
09-04-2009, 15:37
No telling, Nigel since the website originally said that once it became mandatory (Jan 12th this year) then the green form would no longer be necessary, I think they are still implementing it nationally so as with many new systems it takes a while to make sure it's all done and all Immigration officers trained etc before they do away with it.

lafifille
09-04-2009, 16:14
I would do the change, you don't want to lose time with that sgould they notice the difference. It's only a couple of minutes on the website to change the information anyway.

ujpest doza
09-04-2009, 16:17
Thanks for the replies everyone, i've had a look at the ESTA website again and there is a link for you to change certain information and the address where you're staying is one such thing you can update.

Mo Green
09-04-2009, 17:36
We flew to Florida just over a week ago. Virgin asked us to complete online details of our address while in the USA before flying and we had to complete the green card before going through immigration but at no time were we ever asked for out ESTA approval number or asked to show the approval form. It seems the USA are not ready for it yet.

Robert5988
09-04-2009, 18:11
As posted in a previous thread, the immigration officer was aware that I had registered on my last trip in Feb so the some details are on the computer.

Certainly the announced intent was that ESTA would replace the I94W waiver; however the immigration officer told me that the waiver form will never be phased out(so ?????)

lafifille
09-04-2009, 21:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
We flew to Florida just over a week ago. Virgin asked us to complete online details of our address while in the USA before flying and we had to complete the green card before going through immigration but at no time were we ever asked for out ESTA approval number or asked to show the approval form. It seems the USA are not ready for it yet.
[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
[/quote]

Even if/ when (let's be optimistic :D) they finally make the ESTA system work and give up the green forms, you will not be asked to carry the approval number or show the form, they clearly state that when you get your approval online. It's supposed to show automatically when they scan your passport at immigration, as it happened with Robert... magic! Would be great if it worked :D

Sniff
14-04-2009, 13:22
Yes, the ESTA information is tied to your passport so when the officer scans your passport your ESTA information comes up. You will not need to remember your ESTA number (thankfully!).

Regarding the OPs question about changing your address in ESTA/APIS...I'd say technically yes, but practically no. This requirement has always struck me as completely pointless. At least twice in the past 3 months, due to technical problems with aircraft, I have ended up staying the first night in US not only in a different address than I'd put into APIS/ESTA, but in a completely different city. No-one evens bats an eyelid. It's clear when I arrive in NYC around 23:00, with an address in Florida on my form, that I'm not going to make it, and yet no-one bothers at all.

There are many reasons why you wouldn't even know your address - eg for me, the airline was going to put me up in a hotel overnight, but I didn't know which one until after I'd been through immigration. Also many people book villas through agents and they don't know where they are staying until the agent allocates them a villa.

If you can easily change the information (usually you can do both online), then it's probably worth doing, but I wouldn't worry about it.

steph_goodrum
14-04-2009, 14:16
Keith where your accommodation is allocated on arrival you are expected to put the name of the agents office for contact.

lafifille
14-04-2009, 15:18
I've always considered that you should try to be as honest as humanly possible with Immigration and Customs, specially in the US. Changing your adress on the website is definitely humanly possible and so easy. Back when I used to do road trips with only the first night hotel planned, I entered just that on the form and never had any trouble. I don't think they check either, but why take the chance?

Sniff
14-04-2009, 17:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Keith where your accommodation is allocated on arrival you are expected to put the name of the agents office for contact.
[/quote]
Yes Steph, you probably are. But like I said, I've arrived in the US a few times and not been sure of my accommodation. You clearly need to put some kind of address down (at least on the green visa waiver form and APIS, it's not necessary for ESTA) but so far I have not heard of anyone who has actually ever been questioned about the address they put down, even if it is blatently and obviously incorrect (such as for myself).

Robert5988
14-04-2009, 22:24
Why not try this address and see if you are questioned!!!

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW Washington, DC 20500

lafifille
14-04-2009, 23:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988

The White House
NW Washington, DC 20500
[/quote]

Never know, you might meet the one Immigration officer with a sense of humor :D :D :D....

Sniff
15-04-2009, 11:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988

The White House
NW Washington, DC 20500
[/quote]
:D

crews
17-04-2009, 05:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff
At least twice in the past 3 months, due to technical problems with aircraft, I have ended up staying the first night in US not only in a different address than I'd put into APIS/ESTA, but in a completely different city.
[/quote]
What airline are you using Sniff? - just so I know. [laugh]

Sniff
17-04-2009, 11:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by crews
At least twice in the past 3 months, due to technical problems with aircraft, I have ended up staying the first night in US not only in a different address than I'd put into APIS/ESTA, but in a completely different city.
[/quote]
What airline are you using Sniff? - just so I know. [laugh]
[/quote]
Lufthansa from Frankfurt, US Airways from Munich. I think it's best to check the passenger manifest before you book, and if I'm on it, go somewhere else :D

crews
17-04-2009, 14:39
Will do - thanks :D

lafifille
17-04-2009, 19:03
I can picture myself asking to the booking agent: will Sniff be aboard this plane? :D:D:D

Sniff
17-04-2009, 19:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
I can picture myself asking to the booking agent: will Sniff be aboard this plane? :D:D:D
[/quote]
My next trip is on VS073 on May 2nd...you have been warned [:O]

Actually if the Lufthansa flight earlier that same day doesn't leave Munich on time, I might not even need the Virgin flight :D

lafifille
18-04-2009, 01:00
Well, we'll fly Virgin on June 20th... surely they'll have find you a seat on a flight by then :D:D

kelleak
21-04-2009, 18:51
Hi ,just reading all your questons and answers, what happens the 2nd time you fly into USA? Do you have the same ESTA number or do you need a new one? They say it is valid for 2 years, but next time i go i will most probably have a different address? Gutted about the green waiver form there are 7 of us !!! I am taking my daughters friend , will i be ok to fill her green form in, and do i have to fill out a white form seperatly for her?

Sniff
21-04-2009, 19:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kelleak
Hi ,just reading all your questons and answers, what happens the 2nd time you fly into USA? Do you have the same ESTA number or do you need a new one? They say it is valid for 2 years, but next time i go i will most probably have a different address? Gutted about the green waiver form there are 7 of us !!! I am taking my daughters friend , will i be ok to fill her green form in, and do i have to fill out a white form seperatly for her?
[/quote]
You have the same ESTA...as you said, it's valid for two years, or until your passport expires, whichever is the sooner.

If you kept a note of the ESTA authorisation number, you can go back in there and change some bits of information, such as address, flight details, etc. Other bits, such as passport number, date of birth and so on, are obviously not changeable.

Regarding your daughter's friend, there have been many discussions about this. General advice seems to be that if the girl is a minor (under 21?) then you need a letter from her parents to allow you to act 'in loco parentis' to avoid any problems with immigration. If she's not a minor, she can do it all herself anyway.

blott
21-04-2009, 21:59
Under 18s are minors for medical treatment in USA. In the UK it's 16.

Sniff
22-04-2009, 14:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Under 18s are minors for medical treatment in USA. In the UK it's 16.
[/quote]
Thanks for clarifying blott - I was not sure.

kelleak
24-04-2009, 02:33
Thanks guys, What i was wondering is my husband is a solicitor and he has typed a letter up for my daughters friends mum to sign. Would this be ok or should i get someone else to type it up ?[?]

blott
24-04-2009, 03:10
Thanks guys, What i was wondering is my husband is a solicitor and he has typed a letter up for my daughters friends mum to sign. Would this be ok or should i get someone else to type it up ?[?][/quote]That sounds fine as I'm sure he'll know the wording - just remember that it should cover Immigration and also medical emergency so that either of you can authorise medical treatment.

However, US authorities normally don't take too much notice of paperwork unless it's notarised so it would be wise to get that done, which I'm sure he'll be able to do easily.

MarkJan
24-04-2009, 11:21

I think it's best to check the passenger manifest before you book, and if I'm on it, go somewhere else [/quote]

My next trip is on VS073 on May 2nd...you have been warned [:O][/quote]
We're also on this flight [msneek]

Sniff
24-04-2009, 11:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MarkJan

I think it's best to check the passenger manifest before you book, and if I'm on it, go somewhere else [/quote]

My next trip is on VS073 on May 2nd...you have been warned [:O][/quote]
We're also on this flight [msneek]
[/quote]
Oh dear! I'd advise you to take sandwiches and a pack of playing cards [laugh]

ShirleyD
24-04-2009, 13:48
Gutted about the green waiver form there are 7 of us !!! I am taking my daughters friend , will i be ok to fill her green form in, and do i have to fill out a white form seperatly for her?
[/quote]
Unless she lives at the same address, she will need a separate customs form. You can fill them all in and she can sign it.

kelleak
24-04-2009, 18:09
Who can sign it.Do you mean my daughters friend can sign it or i have to get one before we go for her mum to sign? She is 12.
I didn't realise that it would be so complicated.