PDA

View Full Version : storms in april?

Cat1
05-04-2009, 13:12
Im off to cocoa beach for 1 week and orlando for 1 week in 10 days and have been watching the weather like a hawk.
Its been fine for ages then the last 2 weeks its alot of scattered t storms, im wondering if this is normal? and how long on average do they last?
I have got so many shorts and tees so the thought of anything but sunshine is really annoying :( as i carefully chose april as on average the rainfall is at its lowest, what experiences of this month do you guys have?

blott
05-04-2009, 13:21
You'll be pleased to hear that it's beginning to really warm up in Florida and with warming up comes the occasional thunderstorm, just like what happens here in the UK.

Thunderstorms rarely last more than an hour or thereabouts and, if the weather's warm, so is the rain! Scattered usually means just that - sometimes you might have a thunderstorm in one area but not in another one very close by.

Check also the likely percentage of thunderstorms/rain as those are usually pretty accurate.

Come on, you've probably looked forward to your Florida hols for ages so don't let the odd thunderstorm get you down. If it rains, there are all those shops to hit if you don't want to sit it out wherever you happen to be. No-one turns down shopping...

You'll have a great time, stop worrying! :)

ShirleyD
05-04-2009, 13:23
I suspect when you look closely at the forecast, it will state the chance of precipitation being pretty low, 20- 40% maybe and are linked to much higher temperatures, Meaning there is a 60- 80% chance you won't get rain :D These isolated thunderstorms usually disappear within a couple of days at this time of year leaving warm fresh air and blue skies.

Katys Grandad
05-04-2009, 13:31
April is a month of change in Florida's weather - I've always found it a fair bit warmer at the end of the month that at the start. If you're going for a couple of weeks in 10 days time you will probably notice that. IMO late April/early May is the best time of all to visit.

I've been in Florida in April every year since 1995 and, while there will be the odd thunder storm, it's nothing like as frequent as July & August (which I always avoid).

Cat1
05-04-2009, 13:41
Does this mean my new bikini will get a good airing? :) Thanks!! you have made me feel better,I dont mind an odd shower or storm for an hour or so, i just dread going and its raining and thundering non stop. Its my first hol abroad in 3 years and i haven't been to florida since i was 16, 13 years ago, so this hol means alot to me and my fiance. We are hitting the beach for a whole week before the parks and im hoping for a fantastic tan. Im a worry wart, lol, thanks again!!

Katys Grandad
05-04-2009, 14:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cat1
Does this mean my new bikini will get a good airing? [/quote]Why don't you post a picture and we'll decide?[msnwink][msnwink]

More seriously, the weather in April is wonderful - you'll have a great time.

Frosty
06-04-2009, 02:20
Last week we had a pretty violent storm, with strong winds and lightening.
The weekend has been very hot and a little muggy with quite a lot of clouds around.
The start of next week there is a cold front coming through with highs in the low 70's and cooler nights.

And finally here is the sport.......shuffling papers on desk[msnwink]

blott
06-04-2009, 03:19
Only someone who doesn't currently live in the UK could possibly call low 70s at this time of year a cold front. [msneek] :D

Cat1
06-04-2009, 14:02
That is very true, was sunny here yesterday but nowhere near 70's! The day we get there weather is saying 84 cloud and sun, that will do me! ;)
That's my last look at weather I think ;) until I go, at least I now know that a storm symbol doesn't indicate it for all day. :) thanks all!

Frosty
06-04-2009, 18:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Only someone who doesn't currently live in the UK could possibly call low 70s at this time of year a cold front. [msneek] :D[/quote]True i agree.

But when you get used to 85-90 a drop to 70 is indeed a cold front.
A 15 degree drop is a big change.

Oh and incidently the forecast has been updated to mid 60's for Tue/Wed........time to break out the fleece again.

blott
06-04-2009, 19:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
True i agree.

Oh and incidently the forecast has been updated to mid 60's for Tue/Wed........time to break out the fleece again.[/quote]Unfortunately the OP and anyone else in the UK won't have got used to temperatures of 85 - 90.

Temperatures of mid 60s &gt; low 70s are more like a UK summer so will feel exceptionally warm to someone arriving who's just come through a UK winter. [msnwink]

Cat1
07-04-2009, 00:51
yeah ive seen that drop, i do want it hotter than that!! ill be happy with late 70's, luckly things look like they are warming up for the week we go!! [8D]

Frosty
07-04-2009, 02:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
True i agree.

Oh and incidently the forecast has been updated to mid 60's for Tue/Wed........time to break out the fleece again.[/quote]Unfortunately the OP and anyone else in the UK won't have got used to temperatures of 85 - 90.

Temperatures of mid 60s &gt; low 70s are more like a UK summer so will feel exceptionally warm to someone arriving who's just come through a UK winter. [msnwink][/quote]Firstly the weather forcasters call it a "cold front" due to the fact that it is colder than the existing air it is replacing.

Secondly this forum is not just solely for the UK, so it may be of interest to anyone, including people stateside.

Lastly i was trying to point out to Cat1 that the weather is changeable right now, storms one minute, 85 degrees next then a "cold front" coming through.

Sorry for trying to be helpfull!

chrizzy100
07-04-2009, 19:17
Its very helpful to me Fosty..where a temp of 40 degree is swimwear weather...LOL

Robert5988
07-04-2009, 21:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Firstly the weather forcasters call it a "cold front" due to the fact that it is colder than the existing air it is replacing.[/quote]

Indeen a 'warm front' in the Artic can bring warmer air but that air is still way below zero!!

Actually at this time of the year when the cold fronts come through in Florida there is a marked change from warm humid to 'fresher' cooler air - which is of course still warm by UK standards but most people will want a sweater in the evenings.

Frosty
07-04-2009, 23:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Its very helpful to me Fosty..where a temp of 40 degree is swimwear weather...LOL
[/quote]

Don't tease me[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

Cat1
08-04-2009, 00:28
everyones comments are helpful to me, i see Frosty that the temp is about 62 today and its windy, you got your fleece on yet?? [msnwink] lol.
I see its warming up after today expected to be mid 80's when we arrive which is fantastic.
There has been a few T Storms predicted in the last week, just ti compare how many you actually had, what time? and lastly how long for? lol, dont ask for much do I? :D

esprit
08-04-2009, 03:34
I live in Florida full time. Most storms of of short duration, less than an hour, and some only a few minutes. They are frequently in the afternoons/early evening than in the morning.

Dads_Taxi
08-04-2009, 08:22
Thunderstorms were forecast for yesterday, as you said. We spent the day at SeaWorld and although there were three short heavy showers, we witnessed no thunder or lightning. Amazingly we were indoors for all three showers too.:D