PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Memphis

RoyalMarineCommando
19-03-2009, 04:54
Hi guys,
we are going to Orlando this August and are considering driving to Memphis,staying there for a day or two and then driving back.
Has anybody done a trip like this before and are there any unforseen problems which may occur, eg can i take the hire car out of state.
Thanks in advance.
Paul.

lafifille
19-03-2009, 11:08
Done that a few times on my way to Kansas City. Easy drive, just keep your speed at the legal limit, as anywhere else. Only problem you could encounter I can think of would be weather related: storm, hurricane, or river flooding: had to drive around the Mississipi river in the summer of 1992 or 1993, worst flooding in centuries, so I guess it happens [msnscared]. Besides that, I can't remember having any trouble doing that part of the trip.
Remember to stop at the state welcome station, as you can get really good deals on hotels and restaurants and attractions there, plus good advice on what to do and not do , such as which parts of the city you should avoid as a tourist.

And I don't think you'll have any problem with taking the car out of Florida, as I've always done that. Easy to check with your rental company though.

Have fun and get yourself some soul food: fried chicken, sweet potatoes, fried catfish, peach cobbler.... and Jack Daniel's[msnwink]!!!!

Jill
19-03-2009, 12:24
We drove down from Nashville to Florida last May and encountered no problems. If you are going to and from Florida then there is no one way rental charge. We did have a sat nav with us (hired from here which was useful for getting round some of the cities).

Jack Daniels visit - it is in a DRY county so no samples[msncry]but you can buy bottles.

Mo Green
19-03-2009, 18:04
We drove from Memphis to Florida a couple of years ago and had no problems although our trip was slightly different as we flew into Atlanta and collected a car there as we wanted to drive to Nashville first. It is about 750 miles from Memphis to Orlando.

Can recommend taking a tour with American Dream Safari. Tad Pierson, a local historian, takes tours for up to 5 people in his '55 cadillac. Our 3 hour tour of Memphis, which also included Sun Studios, was amazing.

Mo

chrizzy100
19-03-2009, 18:39
We drive rentals down from MA to FL....we do have to pay out of States costs in a few States but not all...I would check with the rental company...

mollymolly
20-03-2009, 20:51
Some things to add to your "to do list" for Memphis:

a bar crawl on Beal Street
Stax of Soul Tour
The Lorraine Hotel / American History Museum
trolley ride through the city
steam boat ride on the Mississippi
and .....
don't forget to visit Graceland and write your name on the wall in front
be prepared for long queues.

Have fun [msncool]