PDA

View Full Version : Pound against the dollar

PAUL GIZZI
19-03-2009, 00:37
Hi all just wondered at what point would you be put of going to florida due to the exchange rate

ShirleyD
19-03-2009, 02:33
Never put off, just do a little less shopping [msnwink] I remember many years ago when the rate was one for one, there were still a few bargains to be had [msncool]

Albert the Frog
19-03-2009, 12:44
I go on holiday to relax and enjoy myself. i treat a good exchange rate as a bonus-what i look for is good service,great surroundings,and "my type" of holiday. I find all of these in the States-when i think of the poor service,shabby accommodation and stress that i have had with holidays in a lot of Europe the exchange rate becomes secondary.

Katys Grandad
19-03-2009, 14:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Albert the Frog
I go on holiday to relax and enjoy myself. i treat a good exchange rate as a bonus-what i look for is good service,great surroundings,and "my type" of holiday. I find all of these in the States-when i think of the poor service,shabby accommodation and stress that i have had with holidays in a lot of Europe the exchange rate becomes secondary.
[/quote]

That's fair comment. For me it isn't a case of whether I'm 'put off' or not. My views on the US as a great holiday destination haven't been affected at all by the exchange rate but I can't escape the hard reality that my holiday budget is now badly squeezed by these dreadful FX rates and 'my type of holiday' now costs an awful lot more than it did. The outcome is that I am forced to find some way of cutting back if I intend to keep visiting.

In my case, I just won't travel as often as I have in recent years. For others, I suppose it will range from no impact at all (the lucky ones) to those really unfortunate people who won't be able to go at all for the time being.

PAUL GIZZI
19-03-2009, 15:48
Maybe i should of added that you might visit florida less?? ill try and edit it

Katys Grandad
19-03-2009, 17:01
Don't trouble yourself on my account Paul!

Incidentally, I'm not sure you have a reliable poll sample on here. It's a bit like asking butchers what price meat would have to go to to turn them into vegetarians.[msnsmile2]

FraserLynn
19-03-2009, 18:30
Did it stop us going this year? no

Will it stop us going next year? yes

Last years holiday was full of so many compromises (because of the exchange) rate that it took the shine off somewhat. Perhaps the year after it will become the norm and we would no longer make the same comparisons.

clairemca
19-03-2009, 19:46
Won't stop us going this year as everything is booked but don't think we will be going back next year. It's not that the flights and accommodation are any more expensive than Europe, it's just all the extra's like car hire and park tickets makes it a more expensive holiday.

Although would defintely choose Florida over Spain any day if money was no option!

PAUL GIZZI
19-03-2009, 21:13
Must agree with that Florida over spain any day