PDA

View Full Version : Road trip advice

Zaby
18-03-2009, 19:51
Hi,

I'd like some advice on the following road trip I've planned for our holiday this June. We are staying in Kissimmee and the road trip will let us take in the gulf coast. We can't really afford to stay over-night, so plan to be back in Kissimmee at the end of it. I'd love to hear from anyone how's traveled a similar distance in a single day, or been to the same destinations etc, and generally what you guys thought about this trip. Basically, is it do-able?

Tuesday morning:

- rise at 8am and take the 100 mile-ish drive to Clearwater beach. Are we likely to hit busy rush hour traffic anywhere? Any tolls?

- arrive in Clearwater beach around 10am and have a paddle in the sea, explore the town and have a lunchtime a picnic on the beach.

- at around 2pm, we'll pack-up and drive south towards St Pete's beach. The plan is to stop off at a couple of other beaches on the road to St Pete's beach for a quick photo op. I'd love to know any recommended beachs between Clearwater and St Pete's that we should definitely stop at.

- at around 4pm we should arrive at St Pete's beach depending on other stops. Time for another wander around and maybe a drink in a nice seaside bar or something.

- at around 6pm, we'll then head north-east to St Petersberg where we hope to be at Tropicana Fields by 6:30 for the baseball game at 7:08. This is perhaps the stickler as I've planned 30 mins for the 18 mile trip, but it could be a lot longer depending on traffic. Thoughts?

- then after the game, at approx 9:30, there's a 100 mile drive back to villa in Kissimmee. This might sound tough, but I hope to have been loaded up with baseball Coke and nachos by then, so I should be good for the drive.

So what do you recon? Any tips or anything we should not miss on this route? Thanks a bunch.

SDJ
18-03-2009, 21:02
It is definitely a trip that you can do and return to Kissimmee in a day. Would give yourself a little longer to get to the game as the traffic will build up around Tropicana Fields so may take a bit longer to get parked up, other than that it seems like you will have an exciting day. Enjoy.

Sandra

eastcoastbranch
18-03-2009, 22:53
I would say yes you will be able to do this trip no problem. If you are heading first to Clearwater your turn off is just after Tampa and I am sure there are no Toll roads. Once you leave Clearwater and head along the coast stop off at Johns Pass at Madeira Beach, great place. Johns Pass is on your left hand side just before the draw bridge. Once you are over the bridge you are at Treasure Island so if you see signs saying Treasure Island you have missed Johns Pass. Have a great time.
Hannah.

Neil Swift
19-03-2009, 01:22
No tolls from Kissemmee to Clearwater.

Tight agenda though and good luck[msnsmile2]

britprincess
19-03-2009, 13:18
I went to clearwater a couple of years ago there are many little beaches between clearwater and st petes all are very good photo op's, If your a coffee fan like me then look out for Bad Ass Coffee in Reddington beach its on the main road cant really miss - Awesome coffee, plus it will help keep you awake for you road trip :)