PDA

View Full Version : Beware Dollar car choice at Orlando International

villavirgin
14-03-2009, 22:29
First, I must say that the arrangements for our hire through this site went very smoothly, and the Dollar Express membership worked a treat in beating the queue for collecting our car.

However, I think that the Dollar rep on the desk tried to palm us off with a vehicle we didn't want, and of a different category to that we had booked.

I booked an SUV, but the desk clerk said they only had a RAV4 which I knew was too small for our needs. Only three passengers, but five cases. She offered a Caravan/Voyager, which I reluctantly accepted.

Once we arrived in the garage, there were loads of SUVs, so I went straight back to the desk to get things changed.

I spoke to a different clerk, who said he could not understand why I'd been told they had none of the vehicle type I'd booked, and immediately gave me a Ford Edge instead.

I don't know why the first clerk didn't give us the vehicle we booked, has anyone else had a similar experience?

VV

ShirleyD
15-03-2009, 02:45
How strange, maybe she just didn't know what she was doing.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
15-03-2009, 11:05
Did you get their name as we'll happily report them to our suppliers. I know Dollar do take a very dim view of that kind of behaviour by their reps and will look into every case that is reported to them.

Sniff
15-03-2009, 15:54
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by villavirgin
First, I must say that the arrangements for our hire through this site went very smoothly, and the Dollar Express membership worked a treat in beating the queue for collecting our car.

However, I think that the Dollar rep on the desk tried to palm us off with a vehicle we didn't want, and of a different category to that we had booked.

I booked an SUV, but the desk clerk said they only had a RAV4 which I knew was too small for our needs. Only three passengers, but five cases. She offered a Caravan/Voyager, which I reluctantly accepted.

Once we arrived in the garage, there were loads of SUVs, so I went straight back to the desk to get things changed.

I spoke to a different clerk, who said he could not understand why I'd been told they had none of the vehicle type I'd booked, and immediately gave me a Ford Edge instead.

I don't know why the first clerk didn't give us the vehicle we booked, has anyone else had a similar experience?

VV

[/quote]
Actually did you take a look at the RAV4? I was given one on a recent trip (not via Dollar) and I was very sceptical as I just recall the small UK RAV4 model.

However, we found the US version to be far superior, and far larger. I'd say easily enough room for 3 adults and 5 cases. In future I'd happily take one.

http://www.toyota.com/rav4/

becbecs
16-03-2009, 11:35
I had a similar situation where I booked a Full Sized 4 Door through this site but on my arrival at the Dollar Desk at Orlando Int the lady said they had nothing in as the Virgin flight I was travelling on was taking all the cars and they were waiting on returns also.

There was only me on this trip as I was off to the Villa for 4 days to do some work on it.

The Dollar lady did offer me a 10 seater van as this was all they had available apparently, which I flatly turn down being only me. Eventually I was offered a Ford Compass which on asking to have a look at a picture immediatly said yes.

If I am on my own then as long as the Vehicle is suitable for my needs on a short trip to the Villa then I haven't a problem, but If the family would have been with me then it would have been a different situation and would have expected to recieve what I ordered or have an upgrade.

mfairhurst
16-03-2009, 15:47
We hired from dollar in JUNE last year and we were told at the desk by the lady that dollar had no more chrysler 300 tours left only the ordinary version but she could get us one from Virgins area of hire in the car park so we went to the booth across the road from arrivals and told the lady who gives the keys what had happened in dollar in the airport so she told us to go to the next area that said on the wall Virgin pickup .
We met a lady there and she said she would bring it to us so we waited and she drove it to us and we sat in the car and she started to explain all the details but we said no problem as we have rented them a lot over the years .
The lady asked us for a tip as she said she was not getting a wage only got tips ,Not had this befor and we did not give her a tip .After we drove of though it was a little cheeky do not mind tipping in a resturant .
Has any one else had this especily when booking a package with Virgin we booked the car with another agent but came in on Virgin flight .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas/villas/1683.aspx

appinlad
19-03-2009, 23:37
We had the exact same problem with Dollar at Las Vegas. It's probably done by all car hirers but if your street wise they don't get away with it. Never had any hassle at Orlando.

Susan J
22-03-2009, 02:40
Whats Ford Edge?
IN all cases, stand firm with any rental company -they do sometimes try it on, you booked SUV you should have SUV !

villavirgin
24-03-2009, 01:11
Interesting that we're not the only ones to have the agents deny our ordered vehicle type is available, only to then find them in the garage. We've had this so many times now with both Avis and Dollar that my DD has a standing joke - sign for a car we didn't order, go to the garage, find the car we want, go back and change it at the desk (and no extra charge or fuss from the agents).

The worst example was arriving at LAX, where we'd booked a premium SUV through Avis (Preferred) and finding a Frontera equivalent in the bay. As soon as I complained in the office I was asked to go and take my pick of any SUV on the lot, including Expeditions and Suburbans.

It seems the (unwritten) rule is for agents to palm us off with whatever vehicles they have loads of in stock, but as soon as they are rumbled, they'll let us take anything we want instead.

For John Rooke, I've checked the rental agreement, but the original agent name is not recorded, so unfortunately you can't pass this incident on to Dollar.

VV