PDA

View Full Version : Fort Myers

mu11en
07-03-2009, 19:30
again looking to spend a few days here, never been before and looking for hints or tips.

opinions welcome please.

Katys Grandad
07-03-2009, 20:05
Nice beach but a little bit tacky in parts. For me, the best thing about it is the causeway to Sanibel & Captiva.

MarkJan
08-03-2009, 02:33
Visit the Edison & Ford museum. Very interesting.

Clare R
08-03-2009, 11:28
Fort Myers is a large sprawling area, the beach is around 20 miles from what one would consider the centre of Fort Myers.

Pookie
08-03-2009, 12:04
I have to agree with the above posts, some very nice parts to Fort Myers but a large urban sprawl.

We usually visit for one day during our trips out to the villa and as Katy's Grandad says the beach area is on the tacky side for my tastes.

It depends on what you are looking for; there are many beautiful areas of coastline on the gulf side most of which are within striking distance of Fort Myers.

Lynne

mu11en
08-03-2009, 13:51
fort myers is off the list, looking at clearwater also

Clare R
08-03-2009, 14:57
I presume you are looking for a villa; there are several Gulf Coast villas available through this site - find the Gulf Coast villas section.

ellie
08-03-2009, 18:05
Mark, I would strongly suggest that you look at some of the Gulf Coast villas before making up your mind about where to stay. There are some fantastic properties available - in fact we have promised ourselves that we will book one as soon as we can tear ourselves away from our Orlando villa. Many of them are close to the beach, and have stunning views.

We do not like Clearwater much, ourselves, as we think it is too busy, but there are some simply amazing places to visit in the Rotonda area, and some wonderful villas to stay in.

mu11en
08-03-2009, 22:11
not looking for a villa, just fancy taking my son to the beach for a few days before we go to our villa in kissimmie.
the idea is to see somewhere different for a few days.

looking for somewhere with nice beachs and a nice area in the gulf coast.( nice beaches see "whole of florida" lol)

spoke about clearwater today but we are open to suggestions.

cheers

Katys Grandad
08-03-2009, 22:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mu11en
not looking for a villa, just fancy taking my son to the beach for a few days before we go to our villa in kissimmie.
the idea is to see somewhere different for a few days.

looking for somewhere with nice beachs and a nice area in the gulf coast.( nice beaches see "whole of florida" lol)

spoke about clearwater today but we are open to suggestions.

cheers
[/quote]

If you want something different from Orlando, Sanibel & Captiva islands are the places to go.

mu11en
17-03-2009, 22:15
we settled on 4 days in estero,ft myers.[clap]

Chaufeurse
18-03-2009, 12:19
Mullen,

Estero is really nice - the beach is great. Whilst you are there, and if it includes a Friday or Saturday, nip along to the Tikki Bar out the back of the Holiday Inn. Deb and the Dynamics play there on a Fri and Sat night and they are brilliant. She has a heck of a voice, Janice Joblin type voice, and they do great music. You can either sit in the Tikki and have a meal and drink or sit on the beach benches and watch them.

The sunset is incredible. I hope you really enjoy it.

Christine

mu11en
20-03-2009, 02:02
im there tue to sat, it looks perfect, quiet, great white beach, sunsets etc.
looking forward to it c.

atush
05-04-2009, 02:38
Anna Maria Island is great for a day trip. Great beaches, not too busy, not too far from Kissimmee. My kids loved at that age eating lunch at th Rod and Reel cafe on the pier watching the fishermen/birds and seeing the bridge in the istance.

The Bodger
14-05-2009, 23:38
Just got back from a week in Orlando followed by a week at the Dolphin Inn on Estero Blvd. Fort Myers Beach. There is over 4 mile of beach with fine sand stretching from Bowditch Point and the pier south to Lovers Key. The Times Square/pier area can get busy especially on a weekend but the further south you go the quieter it gets. Some good eating places we went to are Snug Harbour and The Beached Whale for evening meal and for breakfast you've got to try a cinnamon roll atHeavenly Biscuit.The sunsets from the pier were really good.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/The Bodger/2009514193657_IMG_0788.JPG

mfairhurst
15-05-2009, 00:22
Kevin wow that is a lovely photo and it would look nice in a photo frame .
We have been there and cannot wait to go back .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

mu11en
24-05-2009, 23:51
we are at the southern end, pointe estero hotel. really looking forward to a quiet few days with my family.
that picture has made it more special. looks perfect