PDA

View Full Version : Driving to miami

steelo
05-03-2009, 01:10
Hi guys, Im of to sunny florida in september and have just booked my car hire for the first time, ive been to florida before but have never driven, Anyway whilst me and my family are there we want to drive to miami and was hoping to get some advice about how long the drive is, Is it a nice easy drive, Any suggestions on where to stay in miami just for 1 night, how is driving in miami is it as laid back as florida,
Hope to hear from you all soon

Becky xxxxx

ellie
05-03-2009, 01:34
Hi Becky, bet you can't wait for your trip!

In answer to your question, no, driving is not laid back around Miami! My daughter lived there for a year as part of her degree course and although she loved it and took to driving like a duck to water, it can be pretty manic, especially on the I-95. Don't expect it to be like Orlando...[msnwink] The roads are set out in a grid system in many areas so is quite easy to navigate.

However, don't let that put you off, you just need your wits about you. The drive is over 230 miles and is easy on the Turnpike, although it does get busy north of Boca Raton, about 40 miles from Miami.

Snapper
05-03-2009, 02:02
Hi Becky,

Here's a slightly different view than the norm for you. To follow this you'll want to make a day of it (leave quite early) and enjoy the trip.

Grab I-4 towards Tampa and then get close to the coast as soon as possible. Head down the West coast. There are a few lovely drives along the coast roads. For lunch there are a great couple of places around the south end of Mannasota Key.

Tootle on down to Naples and have dinner somewhere overlooking the water; or alternatively just grab a coffee and a cake if you are there early and/or you don't mind eating late.

From Naples head south and take Alligator Alley across to Miami. It's a cute sounding name but the road itself is pretty straight and without many features. If you catch it at the right time around sunset you do get some lovely colours in the sky.

At Miami, stay anywhere on Miami Beach. If it isn't too late grab a bus or taxi down to South Beach for something nice to eat and a couple of cocktails.

Jill
05-03-2009, 13:39
Have to second Ellie's comments about the driving in Miami. We often spend time there as our son still has friends at UM. A lot of drivers love their horns especially, if you are slow at the traffic lights moving off. However, it is a great place to visit.

steelo
05-03-2009, 16:41
Right ok now im really worried, Im starting to think should i just do the coach trip from orlando to miami.. As this will be the first time ive ever driven in florida, Or maybe just head straight into miami find the nearest hotel leave the car there and use the public transport for the places i want to go.
Thanks guys for all you advice its much appreciated
Becky xx

Katys Grandad
05-03-2009, 16:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
Hi Becky,

Here's a slightly different view than the norm for you. To follow this you'll want to make a day of it (leave quite early) and enjoy the trip.

Grab I-4 towards Tampa and then get close to the coast as soon as possible. Head down the West coast. There are a few lovely drives along the coast roads. For lunch there are a great couple of places around the south end of Mannasota Key.

Tootle on down to Naples and have dinner somewhere overlooking the water; or alternatively just grab a coffee and a cake if you are there early and/or you don't mind eating late.

From Naples head south and take Alligator Alley across to Miami. It's a cute sounding name but the road itself is pretty straight and without many features. If you catch it at the right time around sunset you do get some lovely colours in the sky.

At Miami, stay anywhere on Miami Beach. If it isn't too late grab a bus or taxi down to South Beach for something nice to eat and a couple of cocktails.
[/quote]

That's a good trip, but to do it in 1 day means about 8 hours inside the car and almost 400 miles on the US equivalent of motorways. I'd certainly endorse the idea but would add at least 1 night enroute to make it worthwhile.

On the general point of driving in Miami, don't even consider trying to find your way around in the dark or in the rush hours. Even at weekend, it can be very busy and you needs your wits about you all the time.

Katys Grandad
05-03-2009, 16:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steelo
Right ok now im really worried, Im starting to think should i just do the coach trip from orlando to miami.. As this will be the first time ive ever driven in florida, Or maybe just head straight into miami find the nearest hotel leave the car there and use the public transport for the places i want to go.
Thanks guys for all you advice its much appreciated
Becky xx
[/quote]

There are flights available between Orlando and Miami and, for something different, a train service (although that takes a long time).

Jill
05-03-2009, 22:34
Miami does have a very good public transport system with a metro and bus system. It is much cheaper than our own over priced public transport system.

Snapper
05-03-2009, 23:36
Becky - if you don't have one, rent a sat nav for the trip. It will put you straight onto the doorstep of wherever you want to go. If you miss a turn it just works out how to get you back. They're great little devices!

steelo
06-03-2009, 11:01
Hi steve, Ive already hired a sat nav, i done it with the car hire, and that was because i was a bit nervouse of driving around florida let alone miami,
Im a pretty confident driver in the uk, theres not anywhere that i wont drive, Im actually based in kent and have driven to scotland, wales with no problems, But ive never driven abroad before let alone on the wrong side of the road. I suppose once ive done it il be fine, Im still unsure about miami after reading everyones comments, maybe its a case of to much to soon..
Thanks guys
Becky

Jill
06-03-2009, 15:00
I always think it is much easier driving on the 'wrong' side of the road when you are driving a car which is set up for 'driving on the wrong side' than taking one of our cars over say to France as everything is in the 'right' place. Knowing what some of the roads are like in Kent you should be fine driving in both Orlando and Miami especially with a sat nav. What ever you decide have a great trip.