PDA

View Full Version : Confused!

DannyR
01-03-2009, 22:53
Hi,

i will apologise right away as i know this has been asked, but ive read so much info now that ive just confused myself.

i am heading to Texas in 27 Days, i did the ESTA/VISA form and passed, but however ive no re read a few things

i didnt know what "moral turpitude" was so i pressed "No" on the forum, however, further digging, i found that if i have ever been arrested i will need a VISA

I've been arrested 3 times, one of 4 years ago for driving, i got let of with a caution.

one was for theft from employer, but as bad as that sounds, our whole team at the time got arrested, and again we all got cautioned.

and the 3rd was last year for having pirate DVDs, that resulted in community service.

So, yes i know i need to apply for a visa.. correct?

but if i apply, do i need to take any documents with me? ie a copy of my criminal record?

again, sorry i know these questions get asked all the time, i just need to know what to expect as i hope go away in 27 days

Katys Grandad
02-03-2009, 00:03
Welcome!

There are many threads on this subject. If you do a search, you'll find all the information available.

This recent example might help get you started:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_49030.asp

Dads_Taxi
02-03-2009, 01:43
Danny, I've just been ploughing through the Internet to see if I could come up with anything to help or reassure you, but other than a definition of moral turpitude which boils it down to virtually ANYTHING, I can't do much to cheer you up.

On a very negative note - if you do decide to apply for a visitor's visa, you're going to have to take a trip to Belfast (which may have its plus points, but it would be nice to have a more positive reason to visit Belfast). The London Embassy is currently showing 47 days wait for an appointment plus 3 days processing time, Belfast is 8 days wait, plus 3 days for processing your application. There's lots of info here:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/index.html

From personal experience of booking a Visa appointment with the US Embassy, the phone call costs an absolute fortune, and if you don't have any of the info they require to hand when you call them, you go right back to the start, so read all the help stuff on the website before you phone.

That depressing definition of moral turps is here:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf (page 18)

and reads:

"A crime of “moral turpitude,” which in general is a
crime with an intent to steal or defraud; a crime
where physical harm is done or threatened; a crime
where serious physical harm is caused by reckless
behavior; or a crime of sexual misconduct."

I hope it works out OK for you. My own opinion on this is that none of your arrests are likely to get you on an Interpol "Most Wanted" list, and no-one will be any the wiser when you walk through immigration.

Best of luck.

DannyR
02-03-2009, 03:40
just want to say a huge thanks to dave i hope i get this sorted i will be going to belfast, cheapest flight i found was £37 return!! cheaper than drivin or train to london just hope i can have the appointment on that day now!!

police forms are £35 but can take 10 days.

i will pay £75 for 2 day turn around!!

now, er i need to find the price of the actual VISA itself.. joy

Clare R
02-03-2009, 10:38
Cost of a US Visa in 2004 from distant memory was around £160.00 - but don't quote me.

Katys Grandad
02-03-2009, 11:09
It seems to me that there are actually different definitions of 'Moral Turpitude' - the above quoted by Dave looks like it refers to those seeking permanent residence.

However, for the purposes of the Visa Waiver programme, it might be more specific. I'm not an expert in this area but I think that any offence where there is no conviction or results in a caution can't be classed as Moral Turpitude for that purpose. If that's true, then only the OP's 3rd conviction might prevent him from using the waiver.

The only thing that's clear is that nothing is clear!

Dads_Taxi
02-03-2009, 14:01
I believe the Visa costs $131 US

I've got my fingers crossed, hope it turns out OK.

DannyR
02-03-2009, 19:52
Hello,

Dave, again you were spot on, just paid my $131 for my appointment, March 19th Belfast, that's the earliest i could get, just sent my ACRO form off too.. £40 Inc Next day delivery!!

Flights to Belfast.... £39.98 Rtn :)

just hope i get accepted there and then in the interview, i just hope i have not left it to late

DannyR
04-03-2009, 04:02
i booked my Visa Appointment Yesterday and its in Belfast and the earliest they can do it is March 19th!!.

am just reading through another forum thread, and EVEN if i do get accepted, id stil have to wait to hear from Washington.. Correct?

i have sent off for my ACRO form Yesterday, i have my nonimmigrant visa application form to hand complete with Photograph, is there anything else i would need to take with me?

either way, i do not hold any hope now of been able to go

dont suppose anyway one else has applied recently? how fast were they dealt with?

CCollins
04-03-2009, 22:12
OK - this might not be what you want to hear.......but here it comes

My husband has a VISA - he was arrested 19 years ago - he has had a visa to travel to america with on every trip we have ever taken for this reason.

He had his appoinment at the London Embassy last monday - when he went they told him its upto 8 weeks processing and that he may not have his visa in time for our trip - 29th April!

Of course it might come in 2 weeks - but having dealt with them for years now they certainly don't rush these things - and we have usually had to wait 5 weeks for his Visa and passport to come back.

Unless Belfast Embassy work differently?

I will keep my fingers crossed that it all works out for you and my hubby!

SDJ
05-03-2009, 05:14
We have visas but not because we have ever been arrested. When we went to the London Embassy our visas arrived within 48 hours!! It goes to show, you never can tell.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you and you can go and enjoy your Florida holiday.

Sandra

CCollins
05-03-2009, 11:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
We have visas but not because we have ever been arrested. When we went to the London Embassy our visas arrived within 48 hours!! It goes to show, you never can tell.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you and you can go and enjoy your Florida holiday.

Sandra
[/quote]

I'm guessing they don't have as much to look into if you need a VISA and have not been arrested?

DannyR
06-03-2009, 02:00
as per original post i have:

-- DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application
-- USA Visa Required Photo
-- VCU1 Form?
-- ACRO Police Record
-- Visa Payment Record

do i need these too though?

-- DS-157 Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application
-- DS-158 Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant

just so many different things!!

wrpac00
06-03-2009, 21:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CCollins

Sandra
[/quote]

I'm guessing they don't have as much to look into if you need a VISA and have not been arrested?
[/quote]

When we went for our Visas in Oct they looked at all of our paperwork and told us on the day whether we had been sucessful or not. Our passports, with the visa inside, were back to us inside 48 hrs.

Was it different for your hubby with his visa as someone behind us in the courier queue had been up to get a visa because she had been arrested and that also was sorted out whilst she was there.

CCollins
06-03-2009, 22:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CCollins

Sandra
[/quote]

[/quote]

When we went for our Visas in Oct they looked at all of our paperwork and told us on the day whether we had been sucessful or not. Our passports, with the visa inside, were back to us inside 48 hrs.

Was it different for your hubby with his visa as someone behind us in the courier queue had been up to get a visa because she had been arrested and that also was sorted out whilst she was there.
[/quote]

Yes - wait times different as per my post above!

Dads_Taxi
28-03-2009, 21:59
Well it's now March 28th, DannyR's intended departure date. I do hope he managed to get sorted.

CCollins
31-03-2009, 14:53
DH's VISA came though Friday just gone - so that was great for us.