PDA

View Full Version : Biscuits??

Dads_Taxi
20-02-2009, 02:54
Please could someone explain biscuits to me?

Lots of people seem to eat them in American novels, but I have no idea what they are. They appear to accompany any meal, or they do in the novels I read.

Thanks.

steph_goodrum
20-02-2009, 03:16
They actually look a bit like scones but aren't as sweet. Another hing they often have with meals corn bread or corn muffins.

andrewmckay5
20-02-2009, 03:45
Here you go David. Great with breakfasts[:P]

http://www.joyofbaking.com/Biscuits.html

andrew

Katys Grandad
20-02-2009, 05:34
I really like them but the first time I saw 'Biscuits & Gravy' on a restaurant menu, I found the thought quite disgusting.

andrewmckay5
20-02-2009, 06:46
"Grits"

Now that is a product I have never been able to get my head ( or taste buds) around.

andrew

Nina A
20-02-2009, 12:12
And of course if you want 'biscuits' (our kind) you ask for cookies. Two nations divided by a common language is so true [msnwink] :D

If you want imported English foods in Florida, look in the supermarkets 'Ethnic' aisle - honestly!

P.S Andrew I agree, grits, yuk [sick]

blott
20-02-2009, 13:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewmckay5
"Grits"

Now that is a product I have never been able to get my head ( or taste buds) around.

andrew[/quote]Love grits! A blob of butter and salt and pepper and it's yummy! :)

Everyone's gotta try it once, you never know, you might just like it...

luckylady
20-02-2009, 15:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
"Grits"

andrew[/quote]Love grits! A blob of butter and salt and pepper and it's yummy! :)

[/quote]
I tried grits once that was enough for me, I thought it was tasteless and boring.[msnwink]

jolliffee
20-02-2009, 15:07
I suppose I got my liking for grits and corn dogs from working in North Carolina. Though I dont like biscuits with gravey![msneek]

Southsider
20-02-2009, 16:12
I have never tried the biscuits with gravy especailly for breakfast, the gravy looks like mushroom soup to me..............I do love maple syrup on my bacon tho!

mfairhurst
20-02-2009, 18:11
We love the biscuits they gave at Red Lobster before the meal also we like the cookies at Perkins so its either Red Lobser or Perkins
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

lafifille
20-02-2009, 19:51
Biscuits with fried chicken... I can't wait[msntongue]
I have many recipes to make biscuits but never could manage to make decent ones. I will just cheat and fill a whole suitcase with "Bisquick"!
Gravy is very good when it's home-made. Fat chance of that in a restaurant though, thus the "canned soup" look and smell (and probably taste [msnscared]).

blott
20-02-2009, 20:08
American gravy tends to be very salty so if you don't like salt...

florida4sun
20-02-2009, 20:14
Dont forget in New York they do not have biscuits, they have something similar called biskwits[msnsmile2].

ctgirlscout
20-02-2009, 22:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by luckylady
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
"Grits"

[/quote]
I tried grits once that was enough for me, I thought it was tasteless and boring.[msnwink]
[/quote]

Grits are among my favorite food, but they are an acquired taste. There are a lot of things you can add to grits to give them more flavor: butter, bacon, cheese, etc.

Jill
22-02-2009, 00:03
I rate grits alongside marmite as in love it or hate it and I hate them. I do like biscuits though.

E. Cosgrove
22-02-2009, 03:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nina A
And of course if you want 'biscuits' (our kind) you ask for cookies. Two nations divided by a common language is so true [msnwink] :D

If you want imported English foods in Florida, look in the supermarkets 'Ethnic' aisle - honestly!

P.S Andrew I agree, grits, yuk [sick]
[/quote]

We don't usually bother with the ethnic aisle, just embrace all things American...except the T bags [msnwink] but this trip we have discovered you can buy Tate and Lyles golden syrup for morning toast.
hubby is delighted[msnsmile2]

kaysvacationvilla
22-02-2009, 05:47
No grits or biscuits for us up in MA. This morning someone I know that lives in South Carolina explained what biscuits and gravy was and that he had it for breakfast. All I could picture was that it sounded like it should be served with Thanksgiving dinner and not for breakfast.

flyrr100
22-02-2009, 17:25
We've had Tate & Lyle here for ages. As for grits.... I like mine with maple syrup. As far as biscuits and grave goes? Nothing better for clogging up the old arteries!
Anyone ever had Poutine in Canada? Now there's a tasty artery blocker!

POUTINE
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/flyrr100/200922213251_DSCN0104.jpg

Katys Grandad
22-02-2009, 20:36
Looks very much like that great Northern English delicacy - chips and gravy! Makes me feel quite peckish.

murraycrewe
19-09-2009, 20:52
I just love their buttermilk biscuits! But one thing I don't like that Americans seem to be obsessed with are those big slimy gerkins (or 'pickles' as the americans call them).

Clare R
19-09-2009, 22:50
Murraycrewe - how could you, US pickles are wonderful !!! Just as well we don't all have the same tastes.

rogerdunnaker
01-10-2009, 18:01
"Grits"

andrew[/quote]Yes, very much like Larks vomit!!!!!

Dads_Taxi
05-10-2009, 02:39
Glad to see my thread's still alive.

So, to continue - Gravy? It's [u]white</u>??

blott
05-10-2009, 02:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dads_Taxi
Glad to see my thread's still alive.

So, to continue - Gravy? It's [u]white</u>??[/quote] White gravy (sawmill gravy in Southern American cuisine) is the gravy typically used in biscuits and gravy. But sometimes gravy is beige snd it's almost always not dark brown and it's invariably almost always very salty...

paulm
29-08-2016, 05:54
Biscuits in the UK tend to be crunchy, whereas cookies in UK and USA tend to be soft/soggy.
I hate soggy biscuits unless dunking ginger nuts in my coffee

steph_goodrum
29-08-2016, 08:29
Biscuits in the UK tend to be crunchy, whereas cookies in UK and USA tend to be soft/soggy.
I hate soggy biscuits unless dunking ginger nuts in my coffee

Just for our US friends to explain some of our quirks, the difference between biscuits and cakes in the UK is that biscuits when stale go soft and cake when stale dries out and becomes dry and hard.

I'm lucky in that my SIL is from Boston and, having lived on his own for a few years before marrying my daughter, loves to cook and bake. So any time I get a hankering for corn bread or such I know I can get some baked to order fairly quickly:)