PDA

View Full Version : ESTA Forms

Vanessa F
19-02-2009, 01:13
Hi - I have sorted out my ESTA Forms online and have been given my registration number. I am not sure what I am supposed to do with the number. Should I tell someone? Who? Do I wait until I get to USA or inform someone now? I cant find anything at all and really dont know what to do. Please help. Thanks Vanessa

Mr G
19-02-2009, 01:17
Hi Vanessa, just record it somewhere safe, why not write it in your passport then you will always have it with you.

You do not have to give it to anyone.I believe the US immigration will know you have registered when you arrive so you do not have to show them it in any case.

Vanessa F
19-02-2009, 01:24
Thanks. That was very helpful

Katys Grandad
19-02-2009, 10:24
It doesn't seem to be a problem even if you lose the number.

I know somebody who stupidly lost his and just went online and re-registered. No problem at all! (OK - it was me[msnembarrased])

brizzle
19-02-2009, 12:26
That answers my question then.
I also have a, um, friend who has lost all the references for his family.

I will advise him to do it again although why you can't just retrieve your application reference using your passport number I don't know.

Robert5988
19-02-2009, 13:37
As I am going this weekend for the second time since I registered, I went on line and updated my registration.

All details for me were exactly the same - Address/email/flight No/passport No etc(although they are not shown on the screen. It seems extraordinary that you need to re-register(apparently) for each trip but you don't put a date of travel down. My flight No is the same as last time, however I just put that number in again and got 'instant' approval.

becbecs
19-02-2009, 13:43
Have just returned from Orlando and prior to our flight/Journey out to Florida we completed the online ESTA form.

Why I haven't a clue as was not asked for it once, and at check in was handed the usual Green Visa Waiver form along with the other form to fill in.

Arrived in Orlando Immigration and again had to hand over the Green Vias Waiver Form rather than the online ESTA form.

I presume its just for registration purposes and to inform US Immigration of your impending arrival.

Robert5988
19-02-2009, 13:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Have just returned from Orlando and prior to our flight/Journey out to Florida we completed the online ESTA form.

Why I haven't a clue as was not asked for it once, and at check in was handed the usual Green Visa Waiver form along with the other form to fill in.

Arrived in Orlando Immigration and again had to hand over the Green Vias Waiver Form rather than the online ESTA form.

I presume its just for registration purposes and to inform US Immigration of your impending arrival.[/quote]

The intent is that ESTA will replace the I94W(visa waiver) and should have done so on 12 Jan 09.

However apparently the immigration computer system is not yet working correctly. Nice to know that the US can foul up computer systems as well!

CERICROWLEY
19-02-2009, 17:01
Not sure if this has anything to do with the new ESTA, but we registered back last year when it was voluntary. We have not updated the information from our flight that we did at Christmas, as this is not compulsary.

I flew out again last week, and when I arrived at the immigration desk, all they wanted from me was the first four finger prints, no thumbs and no other hand and no photo, this could be that I have entered the US before and now they have the esta and all the previous information from the last journey, but before the new ESTA system, we always had to do the fingerprints and photo. Has anyone else had this on a flight since January.

Ian Dee
20-02-2009, 02:23
I tried to re- register as I had made a mistake on my passport expiry date.
Got a message " this passportnumber has already been registered" so could not re-register nor change the date,
strange system

Katys Grandad
20-02-2009, 05:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ian Dee
I tried to re- register as I had made a mistake on my passport expiry date.
Got a message " this passportnumber has already been registered" so could not re-register nor change the date,
strange system
[/quote]

I expected the same kind of response but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was so easy.

lafifille
20-02-2009, 19:41
I registered 3 times... anyone can beat that :D :D???

I have an explanation though: couldn't figure out if the first digit on our passports were O (letter) or 0 (zero), and nobody at that moment the passports office could tell me "for sure", so I tried both. Got approved for both. Then I was interrupted and didn't go back to it after a few days, and couldn't remember which registration numbers I should be keeping... because of course I had printed everything as it says so (always obey a US immigration website, never know :D) but there's no name on the print, just numbers....

By then I had the answer from "the manager who knows everything" at the passports office about the digit/letter question, so I did it all again, and we were approved again in a heart beat. I was never told the passports were already registered, when they obviously were, one way or the other...

After all this mess if I am handed the green waiver form on the plane I might very well have a nervous breakdown[msnwink]

Robert5988
23-02-2009, 07:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I flew out again last week, and when I arrived at the immigration desk, all they wanted from me was the first four finger prints, no thumbs and no other hand and no photo, this could be that I have entered the US before and now they have the esta and all the previous information from the last journey, but before the new ESTA system, we always had to do the fingerprints and photo. Has anyone else had this on a flight since January.[/quote]

I arrived today in Chicago.

Four fingers and thumb on both hands plus a photo at the desk.

I asked about ESTA and when the I94W would be dicontinued. The officer said Never!!!! She was well aware of the website(several people had asked) and said it is incorrect. They apparently need the Visa waiver signed.

She was also aware from her display that I had completed ESTA.

So????????

ShirleyD
23-02-2009, 12:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I flew out again last week, and when I arrived at the immigration desk, all they wanted from me was the first four finger prints, no thumbs and no other hand and no photo, this could be that I have entered the US before and now they have the esta and all the previous information from the last journey, but before the new ESTA system, we always had to do the fingerprints and photo. Has anyone else had this on a flight since January.[/quote]

I arrived today in Chicago.

Four fingers and thumb on both hands plus a photo at the desk.

[/quote]
My goodness Robert, that does seem like overkill. [msnwink]

When I was in Orlando in December, I just had four fingers on one hand done, don't remember a photo, but they could have got that at the same time I suppose. My friends at the next desk had one finger from each hand and a photo. I haven't done ESTA yet

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-02-2009, 12:56
We had four fingers and a thumb on each hand, plus a photo done on arrival in New York last Sunday. That was on top of the online ESTA and then having to complete the green forms on the plane. If they do any more checks, they will know more about me than I do myself [msnscared].

Katys Grandad
23-02-2009, 13:51
My issue with it is that it's just duplication if you have to continue to complete both. I could see a purpose in it all if you were required to give additional information.

Maybe the Immigration Officers see a threat to their status?

lafifille
23-02-2009, 15:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
My issue with it is that it's just duplication if you have to continue to complete both. I could see a purpose in it all if you were required to give additional information.

Maybe the Immigration Officers see a threat to their status?
[/quote]

Or they agree with us it's a big mess that was set in place without being ready. Now they have to deal with questions for which they probably have no answers ("why do we have to do this twice?").
Such a huge computer system couldn't start without its share of glitches, and probably raising questions nobody had thought of.
The change in administration probably doesn't help either.

E. Cosgrove
23-02-2009, 17:03
At MCO the desk next to us was four fingers and a thumb but ours was only the forefinger [msneek]

We got asked at check in if we had completed our ESTA and also at US immigration, although I think his words were " you have filled in registartion details on line?" Is that a staement or a question as he seemed to require an answer[msnoo]

Katys Grandad
23-02-2009, 19:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
At MCO the desk next to us was four fingers and a thumb but ours was only the forefinger [msneek]
[/quote]

I think that's purely down to chance as not all the desks carry the same equipment and I suspect that eventually they'll all be the same. I've had a mix of requests for a while.

Mr G
23-02-2009, 19:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
[/quote]

I think that's purely down to chance as not all the desks carry the same equipment and I suspect that eventually they'll all be the same. I've had a mix of requests for a while.
[/quote]

Are you sure its not beacuse some of the Immigration people are all fingers and thumbs?[msnwink]

Katys Grandad
23-02-2009, 19:52
Having had the dreaded 'secondary' check a couple of times, I couldn't possibly comment![msnscared]

becbecs
23-02-2009, 21:42
Perfectly put John

Knowing so much info before arrival they will probably be greeting us off the plane by our first names next. :D

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
We had four fingers and a thumb on each hand, plus a photo done on arrival in New York last Sunday. That was on top of the online ESTA and then having to complete the green forms on the plane. If they do any more checks, they will know more about me than I do myself [msnscared].
[/quote]

emm
24-02-2009, 00:05
We flew into Minneapolis St Paul 10 days ago and had to do four fingers and thumb on each hand and had a photo taken. We had also completed the ESTA online and the green forms on the plane. I have heard from someone else that the next time we fly into the US we will not need to complete the green form because we have already done the ESTA and one green form, so it will interesting to see what happens.

Katys Grandad
24-02-2009, 00:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by emm
We flew into Minneapolis St Paul 10 days ago and had to do four fingers and thumb on each hand and had a photo taken. We had also completed the ESTA online and the green forms on the plane. I have heard from someone else that the next time we fly into the US we will not need to complete the green form because we have already done the ESTA and one green form, so it will interesting to see what happens.
[/quote]

Doesn't sound right - I know a number of people who have made 2 or 3 trips to the US since this started and they've all had to complete the ESTA and waiver forms each time.