PDA

View Full Version : Old speeding fine

pawwavingpuppy
13-02-2009, 19:03
Hi there, I've been away for a while but I'm back now and have a query. We were in Florida in 2007 and my son picked up a speeding fine. Which I have just found out he didnt pay:(...he was a named driver on our hire car. My questions are....
a Is there anyway he can trace this?? and make the payment? is
there a web site we can check this out?

b The car hire company, and I cant remember who it was[:I] swiped
credit cards at the time of the hire, so I thought they would
have put the charge against this?

c He has applied for his ESTA and received approval?

d As he has been approved whats the likelyhood of him getting
stopped coming through immigration?

I am really annoyed but I do believe he genuinely forgot to pay it. We are now booked up to return to Florida in June 09, so really wish to get this sorted out

roger
13-02-2009, 19:24
If the fine had been sent to the car rental company then they would have paid it and also added $25 admin fee and charged it to the card you had as deposit, so I'm sure you wont have any problems with car rental even if you use the same provider as last time.

I can't comment from the immigration point of view but I really can't see it being a problem.

pawwavingpuppy
13-02-2009, 21:55
Hi Roger, thanks for your prompt reply. Its sort of put my mind at rest, I can remember having to pay extra for my son as he was only 20 at the time. We flew into Sanford and I can remember the car hire company was off site, and they had to come and collect us from the airport to take us to the car hire place. I guess they would have swiped credit cards etc, I just cant seem to remember any extra charges being applied to the card by them when we came home. I expect he'll just have to take his chance.
Once again thanks

pawwavingpuppy
25-05-2009, 17:07
Just an update on this and for anyone else with old speeding fines, we managed to look into county records, and the fine was still showing as NOT paid, and he had been issued with an S6 or D6, sorry cant remember the abbreviation that was listed[msnembarrased] but basically his licence had been suspended so he would have all sorts of problems when trying to pick up his hire car. He then tried to pay it, what a nightmare, you cant pay online, with anything other than a US registered credit card, you also cant pay over the phone with a card. The only thing you can do is get a foreign draft from your own UK bank or pay by Western Union (which he did). We did deal with a very very helpful lady at the court, and she confirmed receipt of the Western Union payment (which was received within minutes of it being sent)..The record now shows a zero balance and that the fine has been paid in full and the suspension lifted.
It may teach my son a lesson, to pay up immediately, and not forget as the final payment was a lot more than the original fine

Katys Grandad
25-05-2009, 17:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]Originally posted by pawwavingpuppy
It may teach my son a lesson, to pay up immediately, and not forget as the final payment was a lot more than the original fine
[/quote]

Or to keep to the speed limit.[msnwink]